Tomorrow With You (2017)

moshito
Mar 25, 2017
Let's get the elephant in the room out of the way -- Tomorrow With You is a slow burner. It is not an action packed, quick paced drama. This was not an issue for me, nor did it make the drama boring at all. I think this quality of the drama pairs well with the fact that the drama circles around the concept of living in the moment, enjoying life for what read more is, and reveling in the little things. It does have a more serious and melancholic vibe, although there are many comical and lighthearted moments sprinkled into each episode.

The plot of the drama is very meaningful and emotional. It deals with the subject of fate and destiny, and how sometimes there are things that are inevitable. There will be moments of frustration and annoyance that despite knowing the future, things still go a certain way, but it doesn't bog down the drama. The drama embraces the fact that some people tend to make the same kind of choices or refuse to change, but the characters and the plot adapt and keep the story rolling. In the end, it is a great reminder to be present, enjoy life's ups and downs, and to always be grateful, and all those other feel good life lessons. The drama also tackles issues like love and marriage, corporate greed and crime, family relationships, friendship and frenemies, and life's regret. Overall, I felt that the story had the appropriate pace and unfolded in accordance with it's vision and purpose.

The characters developed beautifully and I felt that as an audience member, I really got to know them and accept them for all their strengths and weaknesses. The changes in the characters were gradual and reflective of what they were going through in the story. The actors did a great job in their respective roles, and were really effective in conveying deep emotions in dramatic scenes, as well as comedy in those lighthearted moments. I also love how it didn't shy away from kisses and love scenes (though still very demure). The couples in the drama had electrifying chemistry with each other, and even the whole group as friends really had a natural feel to it.

The music was composed of more emotional slow songs and ballads. Understandable given the context of the drama, but I still really enjoyed them.

It's a great (re)watch and always gave me something to look forward to on the weekends. I hope people out there decide to watch it or at least give it a try.
MiraiArtx
Mar 26, 2017
Firstly, we need to address first is that this is a melodrama, and in that sense the drama was done perfectly. The color scheme was muted, the OST fit the mood, and the pacing was quite slow which melodramas seem to be known for. There were some scenes towards the end where that raw desperation was conveyed so well that it elicited a lot of emotions from me (aka I couldn't handle read more the feels). That said, the middle did drag a little bit, but not to the point where I lost interest. Everything was purposeful, and you can tell as the story progresses.

The story was quite new in the KDrama world, which I appreciated. And where else can you see the leads get married by the third episode? The first half of the drama was quite light, mostly centered on their romance while the second half had lots of angst and suspense. What this drama did well was weave the past, the present, and the future in which he traveled to into a clear and coherent storyline. Most of the show is actually foreshadowing, and finally in the last few episodes are the viewers exposed to what actually happened. It did build up suspense and intrigue, as you had no idea what would happen. It was unpredictable, but by doing that they lost a few people (and provoked lots of fan theories), but I promise if you stick with it, everything will build up to a satisfying end.

The acting was done really well on Lee Je Hoon's part. This was my first time watching any work of his and I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't particularly like Shin Min Ah's character, as sometimes I felt like she was unreasonable. Their chemistry was off the charts though, and perhaps because they were married early on in the series, we're given a ton of fanservice (aka steamy scenes). At first I was skeptical because the circumstances of which he married her wasn't the best, but soon you could really believe that they're in love. There isn't a moment where the music fades and the camera pans over their face in slow motion that tells you they've fallen for each other, but trust me you'll know.

I really loved the music. I think there were only about three main OSTs , significantly less than that of other dramas, but all of them fit the drama so well. They also played some beautiful piano instrumental tracks pretty often, which created a sort of gloomy mood befitting the storyline.

While I may not watch the entire drama over again, I would definitely rewatch some of the scenes.
Overall, I loved the way the story was told, despite the pace. I have to mention the color scheme again, because it was really genius and beautiful. Right off the bat, it helps you get into the solemn mood constantly reminding you of the overarching plot despite the cheesy happy scenes. I would recommend this drama for those who don't mind a slower storyline, because it's definitely worth the watch.
SugarOverload
I'm surprised that this has a really low rating.

The story was really solid, maybe not as solid as Signal, but it definitely is at the upper tier. Some say the first half of the drama was really slow. It maybe was, however, I liked how the foundations of their love was laid at the first half. It seemed like a romance series sans sci-fi because it showed the typical married life. read more It maybe dull for some but I could definitely see my parents in them. Also, sex was quite a taboo in some series, so I liked it how they tackled that issue here.

The second half was where the rising action came in. The first half made a good foundation on why both of them were willing to do what they did. Not just both of them, but most of them. Most of the character developments were displayed really well, though some of them were a miss. Nonetheless, they played very minor roles so they did not exactly affect the plot that much. The second half was really fast, in a good way. The episodes transitioned seamlessly that I did not notice that it was coming to an end. I felt like the finale could have done better because the intensity from the previous episodes fell too fast. It was satisfying, though. I get to see a half hour of them together, so none of that sad love.

I actually watched it because of Lee Je Hoon (been following him after Signal) so I was surprised that I liked Shin Min Ah here. Both of them had great chemistry that, like I already said, it felt like I was watching a real couple. They were really cute. All the other characters were great as well though the chemistry between So-joon and Ki-doong were more of a brotherly/bff type than the bromance they were pushing for.

Overall, it was a really great romance series, like a breath of fresh air so it's quite surprising that it's just 8.2 because it deserves more than that. It maybe because it's a little too heavy for some people (I regretted watching it but I was already hooked) and its target audience are adults/mature so it's pretty limited. It doesn't take away its greatness. Goes to show that some gems are not appreciated by most people.
kingsqueen
Mar 28, 2017
This show was okay. As others have said, it's more of a "slow burner". I liked the feel of the show at the beginning - the cinematography was perfect and the show had this dreamy quality to it. So I stuck with it even when some parts were confusing for me. The middle parts got a little bogged down, but I felt like it ended well with most questions answered satisfactorily.

I read more thought that Shin Min Ah and Lee Je Hoon had a great chemistry together and the romance was delicious to watch. But the rest of the acting for them wasn't as good as it could have been. I've seen them both do a better job, but I don't know if the direction and script played a part in how they were lacking here.

I enjoyed the story enough. But around episode 10, I was really just ready to see the ending. I did feel like they ended the show well, and wrapped up the storyline in a good way. I was worried about it around episodes 12-14. But the writers pulled through and connected the ending with the crumbs they laid out on the way. I have to give them credit for that.

The music was nice and went with the feel of the show.

I won't re-watch this, but I don't feel like it was a waste of my time. This show was decent and the romantic parts were better than the rest of the story. It was enjoyable enough, but probably won't be memorable.
SeHee
Mar 26, 2017
When I first heard about this I was really excited. I love time traveling movies or dramas so this really piqued my interest.

Yes, it doesn't have a lot of action that some people are looking for that's why they say it's boring. For me it's not. This drama is talking about the characters' fates; that alone made me excited for new episodes all the time. It's fresh. It tells you about read more how much you should treasure the present, but it also makes you wonder — would it be better to know the future? Or should I be satisfied with the present? This drama will give you the answer.

There are so many emotions that can be felt when you watch this. You'll get annoyed and resent some characters. You will feel their depression, their longing, and their love. The chemistry between Shin Min Ah and Lee Je Hoon is REALLY great.

I think for me, this drama isn't all about the wow factor. It's there to give you lessons and make you realize things. It was somehow comforting for me.

There were immaturity at times which is the only thing that made me suffer while watching.

We are talking about life here. The characters timelines. I'm so sorry to those who found this drama boring.

I actually, truly enjoyed this.
MariKim
Mar 26, 2017
Summary: If you don't mind having numerous questions and suspicions unanswered until the final 2-3 episodes of a show, then you will love this. It has a steamy romance, several conflicts, a semi-confusing case of fraud, time travel (obviously), all mixed so that you're left in a whirlwind of confusion.

+/- Plot:
I wouldn't say that I was ever left on edge with this drama--there were no major cliff hangers that left read more me wanting more at the end of an episode, which may be a crucial fault as this drama was made to draw you in with its twists and turns in the plot. I will say that I was more often left confused than intrigued. I was really a fan of the first quarter of the drama, while I was bustling with questions they kept the plot line fairly light, due to the budding romance, and I wasn't too confused as to where the writers were trying to go with the show. However, about halfway through the writers began to focus more on how the show was going to conclude and building up the drama to the finale and that's where things began to fall apart and really drag for me. It felt like the lead couple was constantly fighting, making up, and fighting again. And since the writers were trying to keep the audience in the dark about the backstory the only thing holding this drama together was the romance--to which I have a few aggressions toward and will mention in the following section. Or when there were things revealed, it was done in a confusing fashion and left you even more in the dark then before--don't get me wrong if it's done in the right way then this is great for viewers, however I didn't feel that way about this plot line. The couple episodes leading up to the finale are where things start to pick up again and why I ended up giving this plot a higher score than I had originally intended. I felt that the writers got things back on track and made the story interesting and entertaining again and finally, almost all but one or two questions I had were answered by the final episode and I felt that they ended up doing justice to the show.

+/- Characters/Acting:
Lee Je Hoon and Shin Min Ah...I have so much confusion with this coupling. I was completely on board with them for the first few episodes and was shocked at how well they seemed to be hitting it off together. But then things got pretty steamy between the two and pretty much made me cringe. There were literally some scenes where I just couldn't watch because it was painfully embarrassing. Granted it may have just been the overtly cheesy lines and the constant flip-flopping (fighting then making up) that made me not enjoy the two more.
As for the two individually, I'm going to have to say that Lee Je Hoon outperformed Min Ah. I was a little disappointed as I had really high expectations having seen his outstanding role in Signal. However, he made you fall for his character even when you knew he was questionable and shouldn't like him, which is seemingly a hard thing to do. I think he did a fairly well job at displaying all the proper conviction and emotions during his scenes and did Yoon So Joon's character justice. Overall, I was left feeling pleased and satisfied with both his acting and character.
Moving on to Shin Min Ah...there's just something about her that I'm unsure about or dislike or something, but I can't quite put my finger on it. As an actress she has so much room for improvement. I could not ever get on board with her crying scenes and there were so many of them! They were terrible, completely outrageous. At some points I was convinced she was laughing until they showed her face. I will say that there were times when she played her role convincingly, but because of those crying scenes I have to say I'm just not a fan.
Baek Hyun Jin played an unusual villain; one that I'm not too sure I liked. His character while a little mental, simply was played out all too reserved in my opinion. It felt to me like the character was stifled and wasn't at it's fullest potential--I really love the actors that are able to perfectly depict the psychotic tendencies of a villain rather than, in this case, just escalated frustrations.

+/- Music:
I overall, really enjoyed the soundtrack for this drama and was one of the best things out of the whole thing. Almost all of the tracks were ballads, which I love, and were all beautiful in their own ways. My favorite songs had to be the ones by Seo In Guk and Sarah Lee. I was soooo shocked and delighted to hear Sarah's track as I have been following her even before she became a part of SuperstarK. She has such a great voice and thought that it went really well with the selected scenes.

Rewatch Value:
I would maybe consider rewatching this show, simply because I felt like I was left in the dark for the majority of it and may have missed a few things. However, after a fruitful debate of weighing the uncomfortable romance scenes, terrible crying scenes, and how the plot line strings you along, versus the questions and confusions I have...I would then make the decision that there are some other shows that I really enjoyed that I would prefer to rewatch. But at least I gave it some consideration!

***Shout out to the editing team that did a fantastic job of ensuring viewers weren't confused with when So Joon was in the future. I really appreciated the differential filters and the wide vs. full screen. At least I was never left wondering when it was the future and when it was the present!
BeautifulSwan
STORY
OK, the story is interesting. It's sweet and also full of mystery. It teaches you that life is fragile, time is limited and you need to appreciate your loved ones. There are some plot holes but so far not really bother me.

ACTING
Wow, what a wonderful performance from Lee Je Hoon and Shin Min Ah,
solid acting! This is what i call talented actors.

MUSIC
Music is beautiful, modern and read more suit the mood

Overall
It is worth watching

HOWEVER, there is this little annoying thing that really bugs me. Yoon So Joon wants to save Ma Rin right? But it's for a silly reason in the last episode. That's really upsetting. It just spoils the whole greatness of this drama.

If you have not watched the drama, do not read the review below.
=============== SPOILERS======================================================

just wonder why marin is so stupid and careless -_-; i mean at the last scene, when the accident supposed to happen, why does she have that habit to cross the road blindly, that's the whole point of the drama, it's because of her carelessness that her dad sacrificed his own life, why can't so joon warn her stupidity to not crossing the road while there's car around. I get it, she was pushed by someone accidentally but instead of going back to the pedestrian lane, she chased her marriage certificate in the middle of highway. Why is she like that? Gahhh.. Is she a little child to chase something on a highway without even looking around whether there's car, like that?

I mean, the whole story and concept is GREAT, but the reason for Marin's death is only for her stupidity. That spoils the whole drama. It's not like a grand death where she cannot avoid it like what happened to happiness director's fate, it's not like inevitable accident, but she just does it repeatedly and it's annoyingggggg!!!! The whole reason for So Joon and Marin's dad misery is because of Marin's hobby to cross the road carelessly. She seems like fishing for death. Ok, that's all, other than that, everything is fine.
caaramelts
First off, TWY gives everything I yearn to get from any kdrama. Romance? Check. The main leads' sizzling chemistry? Check. Small dose yet spot-on comedic relief? Check. Awesome background music? Check. Wondrous directing style? Check. Visually beautiful OTP? Check. Slice of life story? Check. Then why I didn't give a perfect score? Because it has flaw. The one and only letdown is how it handles the time travelling aspect or the action read more part, which holds me back to give the Show a perfect score.*deep sigh*. However, objectively speaking, I genuinely think TWY deserves higher rating than it got. Sure it has its flaws, but it has this uniqueness that by far stands out among other romance/melodrama shows out there. I'm not sure how to point it out, but the feels I got while watching it was really different from my other drama watching experiences. It is warm but chilling. The pace is slow yet something in the story makes the Show engaging.

Another highlight from me is the superb directing. It gives a movie-like vibe, and presents some mundane life to be more interesting. The PD let the actors to act freely in some scenes, which turns the acting comes out natural and convincing. Moreover, the music helps much to set the mood; all the music instruments are on point. It can allow you to feel certain emotions in such a depth that overwhelm you. It was beautifully crafted. Love it!

I also love the contemplative elements in the dialogues. It felt natural, and REAL. Case in point: Ma-rin and her mom's scenes. Further, this drama constantly shows the long-talk between the main characters where the story unfolds there. Their long conversation and also the bickering gave the glimpse of how newlywed could have (albeit, this one is too corny).

Regardless of that one tiny imperfectness I mentioned before, which sadly affects the story in a whole, I fall in love deeply with this show since its first episode, like a love at the 1st sight (LMAO WHY I'M SO CHEESY. I blame Yoo So Joon LOL). I connected to the characters immediately, and was so invested to the story right off the bat.

I loved SMA as Ma-rin before I started to warm up to So Joon. She captivated my admiration for her because she subverts other female characters. She is too sensitive sometimes, but she represents half of the females in the world when it comes to a relationship so I had no problem with that. I could relate to her frustration about her 'dense' partner lol. I also loved LJH as Yoo So-joon. His acting is convincing in most of his scenes. I found his overly aegyeo was off-putting and corny, but he's the best when it's time to deliver a rapid change of sad emotion. He has always been a good actor. When you put SMA and LJH on screen together, bam, their chemistry exploded. I could tell there were some ad-libs being made because they seemed one second away from laughing out loud. I LOVE how SJ and MR could be so silly together, yet they're still mature and considerable for each other. They're also too adorable. They delivered the sweetest yet most heartbreaking love story.

Overall, this drama leaves deep and good impression for me (I probably need more time to get over it).
If you look for a romance, this one is definitely for you. Just be prepared for a long squee and endless swoon while watching it ;)
KarolineAskeroed
This drama was something unique, something i hadn’t seen before. When i started watching this drama it was honestly mostly just because of Shin Min ah, but as i kept watching it, i actually came to like it quite a lot.

When i saw that this drama was described as a melodrama i thought it would be boring, but although it is a melodrama the characters are quite quirky and fun and read more there’s actually quite a lot of comedy in this drama in general for a melodrama, which made it easier to watch. I know that a lot of people said that they thought it was sad, and although it's not the saddest drama that i've watched, i definitely felt the tears coming at one or two scenes in this drama.

A time travelling CEO sees that his future is looking tough and marries a failed actress to solve it. Although the plot wasn’t played out the way i expected it would be, i liked the drama. I love the idea of the drama and seeing him travel back and forth in time and trying to fix things and change the future for the better was just really interesting, and you’ve gotta love "Bap Soon". The only thing i would say is that i feel like it's sorta slow at times, but not to the point where it becomes a problem.

Acting:
The acting was great. Shin Min ah was amazing as always and Lee Je hoon did great too, i hadn’t seen any of his past dramas so i didn’t know about him before watching this, but i sure will watch some of his dramas now. The romance was great to, the chemistry and the kissing scenes were great, and they truly acted like they were a real married couple.
Overall the casting was just really good, i didn’t have a problem with any of the actors or actresses at least.

Very fitting to the mood of the drama, nothing i would listen to outside of this drama, the ost’s are just kinda slow, but as i said, it fit very well with the mood of the drama.
hardpliers
I was desperately trying to find time to finish this drama after watching it from the beginning when it first started to air, well because I just fell out of it. The first couple of episodes were really promising and interesting, but the further the series progressed, the more dragged the story went. I'm glad that the creators decided to kind of "revive" the series in the last episodes because they were read more really powerful and a put a great end to the story.

This drama has become one of my favorites not because of the storyline or the idea of time traveling, but because of the unique little components of the whole drama. For example, you can't deny the chemistry between the leads Ma Rin and So Joon. I found myself smiling like crazy when I saw them together being all lovey-dovey. They're both really talented actors for sure. Furthermore, I admire really soft tones and colors when it comes to the filmography. The filming and editing crew did a spectacular job of capturing the most beautiful shots of the drama. And you can't forget the OST. It really made the drama emotional and translated the overall feelings of the characters.

In conclusion, this is definitely a different type of series when it comes to the whole Korean Drama world. I've never seen such a spectacularly filmed series, not to mention the talented actors and the musicians behind the songs. Give it a go if you want to watch something a bit more heavier, but with plenty of cute scenes!
JevelynYang
Mar 28, 2017
This drama is so underrated. I'm so mad at the low rating this drama got.
Tomorrow With You is one of the most beautiful dramas I've ever watched.

The plot was really amazing and unexpected! It was something new and unique. I don't know how to explain it clearly, but this drama was really something. It was not only about romance and time travel but there were so much more. This drama read more taught me about how to treasure life. It made me realize that every choice we make, even a small one, it can give huge effect to our future. Also, the romance was so strong and beautiful. I'm completely in love with it! I know this drama didn't have much action but more into conversation and the plot was slow, that's why some people found it boring, but I totally enjoyed it. Every conversation means so much to me.

I really love every characters in this drama and the casts did a great job. My fav is Song Ma Rin (Shin Min Ah), now I'm a fan of her!

and for the music, I didn't really give much attention to it, but since I love this drama, I'd still give it high rating.

Rewatch value: I'll propably watch this again when I'm in calm mood and not busy.

Overall this drama is amazing and it deserves more recognition. So please give it a try! :)
missjb
Mar 27, 2017
All I 'm thinking is it's a shame they cast the wrong cast in some important character, because it's make me less enjoying the drama. It might be explained why the rating is so low. It's also a shame they focus too much time on the couple and less to the more interesting narrative. I don't mind to the slow burn show, but this is not the case here. More like they read more focus too much time on the couple up and down. Their dynamic is so interesting in the beginning and in the middle with their ups and down as a newlywed couple, but the more angsty they get , the more I lost interest.

I appreciate the writers to write the relationship much deeper than your average romantic comedy drama. The conflict the writers create for the couple is something I find refreshing and abit close to realism. The sexual chemistry between them is good and they share an equal good job. They seems comfortable with each other. But unfortunately, I'm not buying their angsty periode, because sorry, Shin Min Ah can't act and it stop me from enjoying their conflict. Not that I hate her, really. Lee Je Hoon is carrying the whole emotional part and eventually completely outshining her. It's even apparent when they are acting in one frame.

If one thing I appreciate, is how they depict a time traveler plot as their narrative, it's so well done for me. Often times in time travelling drama I saw, they use a time travelling as plot device to move the story further, because you need there must be something going on in your show where there is nothing left except twist and turn that led to nothing in terms of narrative. The show doing a decent job depict a human nature and fate, and why that particular event happened. The future has already depict the action, which is a brilliant a depiction from the writers.

And more over, I really really wish the director need to learn how to hire the right actor. Seriously, several important character who should carry a character justice are not delivered. Acting is one of the think which define the quality of your Drama.
Tomorrow With You

tvN
  • Duration:

60 min.

• Score:

8.2 (scored by 2,207 users)
  • Ranked: