The Legend of the Condor Heroes (2017)

anopinion
Apr 6, 2017
Legend of the Condor Heroes is a personal favourite of mine out of all the Jin Yong wuxia books. The best thing about this particular adaptation is total loyalty towards the books [1]. This alone puts it miles ahead of the 2008 Hu Ge version, which imo was one of the worst I've watched.

Casting. LoCH 2017 used mostly rookies for its leading cast. Yang Xu Wen is probably the best-looking Guo read more Jing I've ever seen. I also think Li Yi Tong looks very much the part of Huang Rong. She also gives off a Zhou Xun feel (both of them suit this role well). The dubbing did wonders for this pair though, because if I had to listen to their original voices instead my ears will bleed. However, I think Mu Nian Ci was horribly miscast. This is my first time seeing such a... Mu Nian Ci. She doesn't have the right disposition at all.

Acting. Pretty decent acting all around, especially the veteran actors. There must also be something magical with the role of Ouyang Ke, because somehow all the actors who play the character do really really really well with it.

Production. The production team claimed that the use of rookie actors means that they are able to set aside more money for the more important things. Well, I think that's reasonable. At least there wasn't an overwhelming use of green screens *cough, cough G&I*. My problem is with the colours. Despite everything, the colours are still very "idol-ish wuxia" [2]. I much prefer the Zhang Ji Zhong adaptations where the colours were duller, more movie-like and looks like a proper drama as opposed to "idol dramas".

In all, I think the drama stands out from most of the 2017 productions. It also has an edge because of the fact that it's a recent adaptation, and after watching Yu Zheng's dramas, it's like a breath of fresh air. The drama also has a 8.0 rating on Douban, above the 2003 and 2008 versions. Not exactly deserved, but as I say, it has the advantage of being the diamond in the dirt.

-- Footnotes --

[1] I think it's based on the more recent editions of the book, which is a pity since I think in general the changes were for the worse.

[2] As years go on, Chinese period dramas are getting brighter and brighter in colours, which imo is a bad thing. It just looks... cheap.
SKMF
Mar 9, 2017
I have watched up to episode 30 and love this drama thus far as the story line is extremely close to the adaptation made with Felix Wong and Barbara Yung in the 80s.

The actors have also put up good performance but at the moment Barbara's Huang Rong still the best imo.

Michael Miu's Huang Yao Shi and William's Guo Jing are both very watchable.

Overall, great drama. Must watch. Entertaining. Nothing read more over the top. Perfect pace.
wanofakind01
May 29, 2017
As Jin Yong fans, we all look forward to new adaptations every year as no story beats a Jin Yong story, and this was no different. Of the famous condor trilogy, this is actually my least favorite story of the three (which isn't a bad thing as they're all great). I liked Guo Jing and Huang Rong's characters and chemistry, felt there was a lot more emphasis on their romance than previous read more adaptations when words were just words rather than conveying a sense of depth and romance to the audience. Excellent job here.

Wasn't so much a fan of the other duo between Yang Kang and Mu Nian Ci, really wanted those interactions to just hurry up and get to the next scene. Ouyang Ke played the part of the original character, but just wasn't feeling any scenes with him. The 2008 adaptation took a different spin on his character as you felt bad for a villain, so maybe it's because I actually preferred that character over the original that made me biased. Duly noted.

Fight scenes were decent , though the use of slow motion was a bit excessive for anti-climatic parts of the fight. For some reason, leaves and pebbles were probably the primary weapons in this drama...and a lot less boulder explosions than I'm used to given how much chi they're supposed to have, but to each their own.

All in all, story is still great, and even the worse adaptations are better than most wuxia dramas. Would come back for the chemistry of the main two characters alone. Looking forward to return of the condor heroes and heavenly sword/dragon sabre!
Ronkeli
May 19, 2017
I have previously watched two other adaptions of The Legend Of Condor Heroes, 2003 and 2008. I think the current 2017 LOCH is probably the best among the 21st century ones.

I haven't read the book, yet (going to read), but I think this adaption covered the story pretty well, while also being humorous. Personally I think they did quite good job in choosing the cast. The main characters don't look too read more out of age thanks to the (rather) young rookie actors, reminding here that Huang Rong is supposed to be 15yo at the start of the series and Guo Jing 17-18(?). I had a lot of prejudice about the actors but after watching the series I can say that the casting was quite nice! Loved Li Yi Tong's Huang Rong, and Michael Miu's Huang Yao Shi. Guo Jing was also definitely more handsome than the previous ones. These two rookie actors did remarkable job imo.

I think this adaption concentrates maybe more on the youth of Guo Jing and Huang Rong, going more through their relationship. Of course LOCH was always about the adolescent of Guo Jin and how he became a big hero from a naive youngster after many hardships, but I do think that 2017 definitely put a lot time to show the pure "innocent" love between Guo Jing and Huang Rong.

Now for the bad points. Like the other review, I also have to say that this adaptions Mu Nianci was little bit disappointment, just lacked something. Personally I also disliked the bad CGI. It was tolerable but at some scenes it just looked ridiculously bad. E.G the condor shooting part. Would've appreciated if they had at least tried to make the angles right, there were some landscapes outside the window that were so crooked.

What I missed was a proper opening theme song. 2003 adaption's opening was epic, this time it was only instrumental music. But again, I did like the soundtrack songs.

Overall, very nice adaption.
wiz2knight
May 11, 2017
LOCH is one of my favorite Jin Yong’s novels, having read and re-read the novel since young for almost 5 times. So naturally, I would not miss any of the TV-adaption of the novel. So far, the 1983 ver is the one that truly stand the test of time, and it left such a deep impression on me even though I was just a 9 years old kid back then.

This 2017 read more version, in my opinion came closest to the 1983 classics. It is almost 95% true to the novel and it’s a delight to hear the majestic 1983 OST as the starting background music.
The main casts, while relatively unknown, did a great job in portraying the characters they played. Li Yi Tong as Huang Rong deserves a special mention, as she was the closest to the 1983 Barbara Wong. In fact, when she first appears as a girl to meet Guo Jing, the image of Huang Rong under Jing Yong’s pen literally comes alive. I immediately had the Déjà vu feeling that this is the Huang Rong that I have imagine it to be all this while while reading the novel.

Another great selling point of this version is its wonderful cinematory and the attention to details of the martial arts moves, without relying blantantly on CGI which makes it a very authentic viewing experience. Personally, I cannot stand the over-reliance and abuse of CGI in many of the current martial arts dramas.

Definitely a drama worth watching and re-watching while waiting for another great Jin Yong’s novel to grace the TV. In fact, I am still in post- SheDiao’s withdrawal symptom after finishing the drama.
AmieLee
Jan 15, 2017
i love this story and have watched so many remakes of this in my life, even ones made before i was born, so the plot is def 10/10 but idk about the cast yet. other than li yi tong and a few of the older actors, all i see are new faces. the girl playing mu nian ci looks familiar but don't really know her either. I watched the first 4 eps read more and so far its pretty good!
DonYu
Jan 10, 2017
OMG AWESOME!!! UTTERLY PHENOMENAL!!! EPIC!!!!!!

I love this show. Action-packed, great story, great character development, good acting and music!
The Legend of the Condor Heroes