Suspicious Partner (2017)

kingsqueen
I think this drama started off strong, but lost steam as it went along. The ending episode was meandering and pointless, honestly. It had a happy ending, but was lackluster and bland. I think that if they had cut this show to 16/32 episodes instead of 20/40, they could have written a tighter story. There were some things that got lost in the story, some things that were never explained, and some read more things that dragged on way too long. The romance sizzled in the beginning and then flickered and died, and then when it rekindled, it was barely an ember. One thing that some people liked, but kind of annoyed me was the lighting in the show. Every time the main characters were about to have a real kiss - there was always this bright light shining between them. I guess it was supposed to be artistic? Once would have been plenty for that and it might have been ok, but it happened at least 3 or 4 times.

Most of the actors did a good job. Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun are both fantastic actors and I love to watch the play of emotions on JCW's face. NJH is so earnest and sincere in her acting. Choi Tae Joon as Eun Hyuk was such a cutie pie and his awkwardness and his boyish charm and enthusiasm were fun to watch (this was my first show with him.) I wasn't really impressed with Nara or her character. She was bland and we didn't learn much about her. I thought Kim Ye Won was a scene stealer though! KYW as Ji Hye started off as an unlikable bully and a cheater, but she quickly became one of my favorite supporting actors in this show, and I kind of wished she had been the second female lead instead. I loved her snarky comebacks to Yoo Jung - she made me laugh a lot. And Dong Ha, as the villain Hyun Soo, did an amazing job. It's the first time I've seen him in anything that I recall, but he nailed his role.

The music was decent, nothing stand out, but appropriate.

I won't re-watch this. It was ok, but not one of the best I've seen. I think the longer run time severely hurt the pacing.
marylin511
The potential was great! The beginning was great! The cast was superb! Did it keep being this way during the whole drama? Unfortunately, not. When I get to the point when I stop care, I usually drop the drama, and I think, I have more dropped dramas in my list then completed ones :) So why didn't I drop this one?

Reason 1. Jong Hyun Soo/ Dong Ha . The villian in read more this drama did outstanding job, this is the first time I followed specific character, witch is not the lead with such intencity!He actually was the one who kept my interest to this drama, and the only one who I really wanted to know more about! I just have no words. If he doesn't get an award, it will be final disapointment in SBS after they missed Lee Joon Gi last year!

Reason 2 The office team scenes. I truly enjoyed every single moment of them, they were hilarious and pleasure to watch! Great interaction and chemistry between all cast!

Reason 3 Ji Chang Wook and Choi Tae Joon - and I don't mean just looks, but acting :)

The rest.. I'll just say, starting from the middle of drama there were more and more moments, were I felt bored, except scenes with Jong Hyun Soo... And the worst for me was the last episode.. After great ep 37 and 38, two last ones were just.. well, I would't miss anything if I wouldn't watch them.. And it's a pity, because last episode is the one that leaves final impact from drama, and unfortunatly I felt nothing... But overall there were a lot of moments that I enjoyed, laughed and cared. And all the actors dida great job! It wasn't a bad drama, but it didn't left strong feelings in me...
Kdrama_BeMy_BestChingu
The drama started off well it gets little draggy in middle but come on which drama doesn't it has a normal plot but the twists and turns are really amazing. The ending is just perfect

Really a lovable drama with lovable cast. The journey comes to an end. Woah! What an incredible journey. If you are up for story then it may keep you glued to the screen or may not. Cause read more this drama has mixed viewers. The ending was amazing with every character giving you space for open analysis. These are like real life characters. Nobody is perfect, nobody is strong all the time, sometimes love loses in front of circumstances but in the end find their way. The amazing chemistry between NJH and JCW is really a huge factor why this drama has been loved they did more than justice. No other couple can really make me fall for them like jibong.

So if you are here for the reviews ignore the hate comment and go and see it for yourself.

This drama gifted me my new favorite korean actress. Nam ji hyun. What an incredible showcase of emotions she can convey. The ending-she caught me off guard. I cried only when she cried. She deserves super appreciation!

And of course ji chang wook you will always be my bae I love you more after this drama

I may be wrong but I have noticed one thing Koreans have loved this drama when I see the comments on korean and other digital platforms koreans have always been supportive most of the negative comments about the drama have been made by immmature fangirls and jcws previous costar fans or shippers
This drama is definitely a must watch

SUSPICIOUS PARTNER SARANGHAEYO
JIBONG
LaraChung
A fan of Jij Chang Wook since Healer, so perhaps I'm biased... ;)

I really enjoyed this drama. It has its flaws, though not many. The plot was engaging especially in the middle of the series. Most characters were cast well and some of them always put a smile on my face whenever they were being goofy or sarcastic (Mr. Bang!) There's some nice chemistry between the OTP Ji Chang Wook and read more Nam Ji Hyeon. There are enough cliché scenes, but that doesn't mean they were bothersome and even the noble idiocy felt justifiable!

I thought that the series didn't have really nice OST's... they weren't annoying or anything but they didn't stick into my head and stir up certain emotions whenever hearing the tune.

Pro's: great acting, sophisticated villain, chemistry between main OTP, kickass female lead, funny yet dark at the same time

Con's: not that great OST's, clichés, maybe 2 or 3 episodes too long (if they had made it a 16 episodes drama instead of 20(40×30mins), it would have been perfect)

I'd say an overall score of 8.5!
hardpliers
I'm a huge fan of romantic and suspense thriller type of movies and dramas that involve court cases and the law. When I saw the trailer of this I was utterly hyped up and knew that I was going to love it. And I was a 100% correct.

The story had me drawn in since the very first episode. I had a heart attack from the main characters' chemistry. I mean, Ji read more Chang Wook is a gorgeous and handsome actor, no doubt. Even though I wasn't familiar with any dramas starring Nam Ji Hyun, she made a very positive first impression, which was more than enough for me to become interested in her, and eventually becoming her fan. The other actors were spectacular as well, especially the lawyer squad and the main suspect, Jung Hyun Soo. I was really surprised at how much I pitied a very dark criminal. The storyline wasn't boring at all and I liked how it progressed right until the end. I was in two minds whether to give this drama a lower review, however, I loved how the creators of this drama didn't run out of ideas and finished this series with a boom.
Another thing I want to point out is the OST. It translated all of the emotions and the songs were very fitting with the situations and the characters. I would highly suggest you not only to watch this drama, but to check out the OST as well!

Overall, a lovely drama that surely became one of my favorites on the list! Very interesting, tragic and romantic storyline with leave you with many different (and of course unforgettable) emotions!
Charity Mariposa
Jun 18, 2017
His royal hotness, Ji Chang Wook, comes off strong and effective Atty. No Ji Wook, as expected of his range as an actor. He has the ever familiar gestures and stares that he has used to charm his love interests, but it works. Maybe I have been charmed by his bright smile and finely chiseled face, but he is one of the most formidable actors in K-dramaland no doubt.

Support characters, Atty. read more Byun and Atty. Ji Eun-Hyuk, are also effective and lovable. Nara's Cha Yoo Jung leaves a remarkable performance, as well.

The female lead is a big disappointment, lacking maturity as an actress, and lacks more depth as a character; she is supposed to be a black belt in Judo(?) and quite a strong/tough woman and yet she comes off weak and easily shaken.

It is almost painful to watch her acting opposite Ji Chang Wook. Nam Ji-Hyun's take on the character Eun-Bonghee is quite poor. She uses the same character reference for the provincial girl she portrayed in Shopping King Louie; which worked then for that show. Sadly, the same portrayal for a different and more empowered character in Suspicious Partner is flat out failure. She acts all cute with a cutesy voice that is not typical of a supposed confident lawyer / (acquitted) murder-suspect / mature lady, which is disturbing. Could she possibly be a miscast?

Can the writer do something to make character Atty. Eun Bonghee, smarter and more confident please? She is clearly surrounded by danger and yet she goes out alone at night, etc? Gosh, please help this character, writer-nim!
A dead, dead drama.
Basically the story revolves around Noh Ji Wook, a promoter, who met Eun Bong Hee and gets into that, the story is not interesting, the narrative has its ups and downs, a roller coaster, that's the word that describes "Suspicious Partner ", The ending was good, the cast is great, the soundtrack was enjoyable, but I did not enjoy the drama.
Maggy
Let's just stick to the categories:

Why I took half a point of is because the female lead somehow overreacts a little concerning her father's death and Noh Ji Wook's involvement in it. I mean, come one, he was just a kid. But that was really the only annoying part.
Overall it is a well developed, heart-warming but also very thrilling story. Here you've got everything: love, crime, thriller, comedy =) read more And this is also the way this show affects your feelings: you cry happy and sad tears (more happy ones though) and it never gets boring. Until the very end there are things that need to be resolved. Thankfully the romance does not wait to develop until the last few episodes, but starts really quickly (whoop whoop!).

Acting:
Can't I give the cast an 11 or 12 or... 20? Because that is exactly how great the cast and their acting is!
And this is also a huge part of why I love this drama so much.
Honestly I did not know JCW before (shame on me! ;)) but after this show I totally fell in love with his acting. He depicts his character really well and shows his acting skills to the fullest. A huge praise also goes to Nam Ji Hyun and Choi Tae Joon for depicting their characters perfectly.

Not annoying and not too much of it. Always very well placed.

Rewatch Value:
One million times yes! I will definitely rewatch this!
Linky
Though I can kind of understand the mixed reviews, I thought this was fun and romantic and think it's defintiely worth checking out. It starts off really strong with loads of romance and cuteness which fizzles somewhat with darker plot complications as the story progressed, but ultimately goes back to being cute. I feel like I've watched a few dramas recently that pair the cute romantic comedy and dark crime genres together. read more It seems like an difficult pairing to pull off, but this drama manages to do it adequately. So depending on how charismatic you find the main couple or how much you enjoy the crime story / villain you may really enjoy this.

PROS: Ji Chang Wook is my favorite actor since I watched him in Healer so I admit that makes me rate this drama higher than I might if he wasn't in it - maybe half a point higher. I was really happy to just watch him in something where he just plays a normal guy. For me this was enough to keep me entertained. I also liked Bong Hee and thought they had good chemistry together.

The supporting characters were cute and likable. I enjoyed the funny bickering of attorneys at the office. Their office meetings were always funny. I also thought the bickering moms storyline was funny. The mean female attorney character grew on me and became one of the more amusing side characters.

CONS: It doesn't finish as strongly as it started and to me a it drags a little in the middle when the crime storyline takes more prominence. The actor who plays the villain gets a lot of screen time and does a good job. But I just wasn't as invested in this part of the story. The plot was entertaining enough to keep my attention though. Certain plot points could have been amped up for more impact. And certain plot points are introduced that added complications but could have been done without. The second leads could have been given a little more to do. And the old friendship between 2 male leads could have been played up a little more. I would have liked to see more of them together.

That sounds like a lot of cons, but it is mostly picking at the plot. Overall, I thought this was a really fun and cute drama to watch and looked forward to each episode.
qtandem
So... I'm afraid I'm not as enthusiastic about this drama as many people are. I started watching because I love Ji Chang Wook, I'm not going to lie. However it didn't do much for me. I didn't see as much chemistry between the main OTP as most viewers, and ocasionally, the cheesy factor drove me back.
Also, that element in the past of both main characters that brings them together, I had read more the feeling I've seen this many other times in other dramas.
It's not that I think it wasn't well made or that it was bad, but it wasn't that extraordinary to me, at least compared to other dramas that have been airing this season.

Things I liked, though? Dong Ha. He was great as the psycho. I usually don't like that cliché-ish super-evil portrayal of most villains in dramas. I know it's the melo factor, but I hate it. However, he did a great job and I hope it didn't go unnoticed and he can be featured in more dramas in the future.

Also, I liked the second OTP and I think Hello Venus's Nara did a pretty decent job. And the resolution of this couple's story was satisfying enough for me.

They also managed to at least create a different and kind of endearing ex-girlfriend character. It ended up being the source of comedy because of its pitifulness.

All in all, this was a good drama, but I recommend not having too much expectations before watching it and maybe you'll end up enjoying it much more than I did.
Riley
I've never been the biggest fan of crime dramas, but I can say I really did enjoy Suspicious Partner. What drew me in and kept me in was the chemistry between the characters. Every character's relationship with the others all have interesting dynamics to them. I even found myself being excited by the plot at times, something that usually falls by the wayside when I watch crime dramas.

I was drawn in read more by the mystery of the plot. It was very intense at first and did leave me at the edge of my seat. As the show went on, the plot did feel a bit tired and drawn out. This drama probably could have wrapped itself up with a few less episodes, but I was always in it until the end.

Like with most of the dramas I enjoy, it's the characters that do it for me. Ji Wook and Bong Hee have a very addictive dynamic and they're very interesting characters inside and outside of their relationship. There was just the right amount of angst and fluff to keep me satisfied (though as someone who watched the show as it aired, the angst could get to be a little maddening). They're good people and they're people that you want to watch succeed and be happy.

If I were to rewatch Suspicious Partner, I'd probably skip over a few episodes towards the end, but it would be worth it to see all these greta characters again. The side characters are interesting and complex and aren't put in boxes. Characters you may not like in the beginning, you start to love in the end and I really like that in a drama. I'd recommend Suspicious Partner to anyone who'd want a drama with a lot of layers, but was also digestible and fun.
Suspicious Partner started seriously strong. The mystery was interesting and thrilling, with gripping trial cases, though the main one was the lead, since the main characters were involved. The romance was strong as well as entertaining, with the two characters having chemistry and tension enough to make the love story interesting. However, towards the end, the drama couldn't hold the interest high. The mystery-murder case was solved too early or rather the read more drama should have been shorter by a few episodes. Especially the final episode was aimless, as the story had already concluded a few episodes ago. The romance got tiring and bleak as well. In addition, the leading lady's character got a bit annoying. Not that I dislike the actress, she did a great job with her performance and I loved her in her previous works, but here, the character was annoying. So, 6 out of 10.
Suspicious Partner
Watch Trailer

Alternative Titles

• Native title:

수상한 파트너
  • Also Known as:

Yi Yeojareul Joshimhaseyo; Beware of This Woman; Be Careful of This Woman; Soosanghan Romaenseu; Watch Out For This Woman; 이 여자를 조심하세요; Suspicious Romance; Soosanghan Pateuneo; 수상한 로맨스; Love in Trouble

• Country:

SBS
  • Duration:

30 min.

• Score:

8.5 (scored by 3,554 users)
  • Ranked: