The Princess' Man (2011)

EvesSecret
13 of 16 people found this review helpful
Aug 10, 2012
This is the first time I am writing a review! I just finished watching this drama. My suggestion is to keep watching!!!

Once, my friend and I were talking about which drama we preferred. And she said "One that would make me cry."
Well if i had the chance i would definitely would suggest her to watch this.

I have to say the acting was simply great. Those characters that I despised read more in the beginning changed my thoughts in the end. I was actually crying for them. It turned out to be a lesson for them.

I loved the romance. This is a great remake of Romeo and Juliet!!!!

As for the story of revenge. I thought about what the writer was thinking. In my mind the writer wanted to create a story line - "life isn't perfect. We fail. We succeed. But in the end we learn." From some of the scenes I thought about "when you don't think things through, you simply fail." Therefore, I have to say this drama teaches you a lot of powerful lessons.

Unfortunately, the meaning of revenge in this drama is quite different from what I have in mind. In my opinion, I prefer City Hunter's, Iljimae's, etc. ways.

Remember everyone has a different opinion.
lalalacruz
5 of 5 people found this review helpful
Feb 20, 2013
At first, I thought ‘The Princess’ Man’ will just be another drama that will have no difference from the others, just another drama that will be boring, and just another drama that will not leave any special mark on my heart. However, I WAS VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY WRONG!!! From the very first episode of this epic drama, I got hooked immediately!You will be amazed on how the characters gave justice read more to their roles! So many things happened in just one episode! It’s not boring at all! You will be intrigued in every episode! You will be nervous all the time! You will feel as if you are the one being betrayed! You will be angry at how politics can take innocent lives! You will wonder what is justice and sacrifice all about! You will feel relieved after every episode! You will be sad and happy at the same time! Lastly, you will feel really what love is. :) This drama is epic! Amazing! Brilliant! A blast! Fantastic! Shrewdly written! THE BEST! I thought no drama could beat Save the last dance for me, Winter Sonata, Coffee Prince, It started with a kiss, My girl, The moon that embraces the sun, and A gentleman’s dignity, but The Princess’ Man did. All the dramas I mentioned are my all-time-favorite-dramas and The Princess’ Man got the first place. Though different genres of stories, I still put Princess’ Man in the first place. My heart has been captured by this great drama!!! I am so sorry that I only watched it now. :( I REALLY LOVE Se Ryung and Kim Seung Yoo! I really really really cried a lot and I can’t stop my tears from falling down even after the drama has already ended!I cried a river because it has touched the depths of my heart. OMG, I’m starting to get emotional again. :3 THIS DRAMA HAS IT ALL!!!!!! I can say no more.

"What is justice?"

"What is loyalty for me? How far will I go for my loyalty to someone?"

"How much pain can I endure for love?"

"What will I do if the person whom I value more than my life is the flesh and blood of someone who merciless killed my own family for his/her own evil intentions?"

Those are the questions you will surely ask yourself. If you are doubting my convictions, then watch it to see for yourself.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS TO YOU. ^_^
dramafreakboy
Oct 14, 2013
1) The reason I watched this :

The Trailer (promo) seemed too promising , the forbidden romeo-juliet themed love , encouraged me to watch .. ONE WORD this drama is THE BEST korean historical Drama I have ever seen , everything was perfect from acting , production , music , direction , This drama is no.1 on my list coz it contains everything a watcher needs from Romance , to action , read more politics and twists , to the extreme happy cute moments to extreme tear sad moments

2) Storyline/Plot:
Magnificent , the whole story was solid , the love , the cute romantic scenes , the hate , the revenge the forgiveness , the new love , everything about the story is perfect , the screen writes did a really good job , even secondary roles story are perfected .

*The cinematography is great , which is one of the strong points of this drama

*Main Genres:

--->Action and politics : Best ever

--->Romance: EPIC , the chemistry between the 2 main leads is high and present , u can feel every single feeling they feel , u'll live with them .. feel the love , hate , revenge , new love ..

Story: 10/10.

3) Acting/Cast:

*Main Leads : Moon Chae Won and Park Shi Hoo both of them done a really great job , the chemistry between them is high and present with strong impact.I became a big fan of moon chae won after this show , I watched all her other dramas ..

*Supporting actors : all of them done a perfect job every one in his role , starting from the king , to the servant . Kim Yeong Cheol , Song Jong Ho , Hong Soo Hyun
each done a really good job , Even the 6 years old Kim Yoo Bin , especially in ep 17 , I can't Imagine how a 6 years old girl can act this well !!!! she made me cry , 10/10 for choosing the supporting cast this perfect .

*Relationships:

--->Romance: the starting romance in 1st episodes " Beautiful and cute " I didn't expect it at all to be this great , coz this is a historical drama after all HOW CAN THE ROMANCE BE CUTE IN OLD TIMES , but seriously I was hooked, the scenes were amazing..And what's even more amazing even in hatred u can feel the chemistry between them , its my first time for me too watch love in hatred , u must watch to understand what I mean ..

chemistry 10/10

--->The triangle: It was a really good one , which didn't affect the development of romance between main leads , again one of the strong points . song Jong Ho did a great job

Cast: 9/10.
Acting: 10/10.

4) The ending: one of most memorable ending in k-drama land , and was beautifully done

The ending: 10/10.

5) My impression (How did it affect me):
Its like I lived in the world of love and dreams for a short period of time :) , the pure unconditioned love ..

*Is the drama memorable: YES

My impression: 9/10.

Rewatch : I rarely rewatch any drama , but this one I already watched it 4 times in less than a year , I have never done that before with any drama ..

6) Overall:
Overall: 10/10
jediprincess
Mar 19, 2013
This Romeo-and-Juliet-like drama sent me to the edge of a cliff and I got affected so much with the struggles and motivations of the main characters. It has the best villain you will hate and love at the same time because he was so effective to his role as the evil Crown Prince Su Yang who defied fate and the heavens to fulfill his wish of sitting on the Royal throne.

My read more dilemma every time I watch a period drama is I have to do a background check and keep my attention focused so I won’t miss the important details, and with my grasshopper-ish attention span, it was really hard, but no matter how dramatic the series went, I did not halt my horse and stayed with it because they made it so stirring and so emotionally invoking.

The directing and cinematography were captured efficiently projecting a gripping story throughout its conclusion. How they maneuvered the movements of the conflict without making the protagonists looked so annoyingly pathetic was strategically laid which made me admire the writer of the story.

The acting was top-notch. Everyone stepped up and portrayed their characters as they balance their roles to complement and support each other. I was so moved with how the lead couple struggled to claim the love that is rightfully theirs. Feeling Seung-yoo’s pain sent me crying and cursing at the King who I believe was Voldie’s cousin, and I applaud Se-ryung’s facets of characters displayed throughout the story. Again, the main villain here I hated so much and was already placed in my hall of famers.

The Princess’ Man is a drama so complete and will suffice the addiction you will endure as you gape each episode. It has a conflict that was justified well and was concluded in a realistic manner. It was agonizing and yet a very loving tale that will remind you of the risks in committing yourself to someone, the bittersweet pain of coming to terms that love has always casualties and the reality that until you learn to forgive, you will not be able to feel in your arms that person who defined you what is love. -jediprincess ^_^
Starae
Jul 10, 2012
The story was phenomenal, you just can't stop watching the moment you start and it continues to pull you in until the very end. I couldn't count the amount of times I cried. It's a very moving story and you cant help but feel attached to the characters and feel sympathy for them.

Acting:
The Acting was amazing! I especially liked Park Shi Hoo, he did such a great job portraying read more Kim Seung Yoo's rollarcoaster ride of emotions. I liked him so much that I will probably go and watch more of the dramas he is in. Everyone else did a wonderful job as well.

The music was good....at first, but once you hit the further episodes you're begging for them to stop playing some of the songs. The song with the man with the raspy voice singing was really great though, it really makes you feel the emotion.

Rewatch:
I've never re watched a drama and I probably never will, but I usually give it a high rating just because.

Overall:
IT'S WORTH THE WATCH! You won't regret it!
BPetra
Sep 17, 2012
I Can not give this drama lower then 10. There is nothing that is particulary wrong with it. The story is very complex and interesting, with great characters who ráre inteligent and strong. And I am not only talking about the main pairing but also about supporting characters (i esp liked the "other" princess story with her husband).
Im not so much into revenge dramas, but this one really got me on read more my knees. It was nicely served and told.

Just how great were characters, acting was amazing too. I could feel their emotions right through the screen. I cryied with them and lived their happy moments. That does not happen often to me.

Music wal also exceptional (Destino is my fvourite)

Also i would like to mention the cinematography. Im rewatching it on HD and i have to say its real pleasure for my eyes.

Overall ... 10 works for me :)
dramajunkie
Oct 8, 2011
Oh TPM, where do I start? (I can go on forever, but will limit myself).

This was the second sageuk drama I've watched, and I'm very unfamiliar with Korean history, so I wasn't sure if I should take it up or not, but I couldn't resist after reading the synopsis. Let's just say that it was a VERY good choice.

TPM is the best drama read more I have seen this year (a year that has seen many good dramas), and probably of all time. It does not lack in anything. The acting was amazingly good. The story was exceptional, and had me hooked from early in the drama. Each character was so very well written and developed as well as believable that, unlike many other dramas, I never had the urge to skip over any part of any episode, even all the political filled scenes. The OST was also very good and fitting of the story. Watching this drama has been a wonderful journey and I'm very saddened now that it's over.

In short, if you are looking for a drama that is extremely well made all around; will make you smile at times, cry at others (maybe more of the latter than the former), and actually feel for the OTP throughout the entire series, then TPM is a drama you can't miss!
Crazy4You
Oct 7, 2011
Ohh where to begin! This drama I wasn't sure I was even going to pick up but around 4 episodes out I started to watch it. It's my very first saeguk drama as well. In the beginning I didn't have any expectations for it - except for a happy ending. As the episodes progressed I found myself more and more liking the drama. And then somewhere around episodes 8 or 9 I read more became addicted to it. Each episode kept getting better - I found myself in a whirl of emotions while I watched. Waiting each week I tried to be patient but as soon as subs were available I dropped everything else to watch it.

The story has a Romeo & Juliet theme - for most people this might turn them away. After all, everyone knows the tragedy that befell that couple. This drama is indeed a tragedy in many parts. Don't let that turn you away from this drama - everything about it turned out right in the end. I encourage you to watch it to understand what I mean by that (:

The characters....oh where to begin. I found myself rooting for our leads in their struggle to be together - the fight against Su Yang. His character is one you find yourself hating right away. Shin Myeong - his character many hated but I couldn't bring myself to hate him. Why? Because he was so pitiful. I imagine his choice was a difficult one and I could feel that he was torn in making it. Princess Kyeung Hye - I didn't like her in the beginning, there were things she did that made it hard to like her. I felt myself understanding her character more as time progressed - and by the end her character was one I found myself liking.

That being said - the acting is wonderful!! No complaints at all! This was the first drama I've seen Park Shi Hoo act in and I absolutely loved him! Moon Chae Won I remember seeing in Shining Inheritance as the step sister. Seeing her go from her pitiful character in that drama to the role she has in this makes me think she's a good actress. Of course the rest of the cast is great as well!

The music....it's beautiful! The entire soundtrack is beautiful! From the instrumentals to the actual songs - all of them are great and fit the flow of the drama very well. I also loved the songs they had in Italian - "Vola" and "Destino." The original Romeo & Juliet story is from Italy so I felt this was a nice touch.

I can see myself rewatching this drama someday - although not anytime soon.

Overall - what else can I say? This is a terrific drama! A must watch of 2O11! It's the best drama I've seen this year from the handful I have seen. If you haven't already begun this drama I highly recommend it!

Also - in my own personal opinion I felt this was a much better story than Romeo & Juliet. By that I mean it felt more realistic and believable to me.

Watch it!! (:
rachso
Mar 29, 2014
Wow just wow. Before I watched it every one compared it to Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, however Romeo and Juliet was not this intense. If only every drama had acting and a story line this good. seriously. I dropped this drama At first because I won't lie to you it's tragic right from the first episode, which is why it is the best politics romance drama I have ever watched. Have you read more ever seen someone thanking a person for stalking and kidnapping them. Well not thankfull persay really just glad, they had the strongest chemistry I have ever seen in all the Korean dramas I have watched so far, it wasn't like these romantic drama clichés, no. it was realistic enough. Overall IT WAS SUPERB!!!! Huh.,,
NewKDramaAddict
Jul 10, 2012
TPM effect is alive and well! I have lost count the number of times I have watched this very well put together drama! Every time I watch it, I end up marathon watching until the end. The acting was amazing! I was already impressed with Park Shi Hoo but his portrayal of this tortured soul was beyond amazing! Moon Chae Won's portrayal of not a wilted flower but of a very strong read more and determined young woman willing to do anything to protect her man; outstanding! The secondary romance between the crowned princess and Jong, you will become totally vested with that relationship also. This rates higher than a 10! It comes highly recommended!
KdramaQueen89
Nov 3, 2011
Let me first say I'm not an avid Historicals watcher. Because of this my scores might not reflect the same love that everyone else has for The Princess' Man.

Story- The first 12 episodes were okay. They went by at a good pace not too slow but nothing significant happened to capture my attention. I felt they could have cut a couple of episodes out of this part read more of the story, making the drama shorter. The last 12 episodes were epic and filled with heartbreaking romance, action, and just plain excitement. The ending was bittersweet but a pleasant surprise.

Acting- I'm really really glad Park Shi Hoo took this role on. He showed in his last 2 dramas that he is HOT and a good but not excellent actor. Well in this drama he showed a variety of acting skills and definitely proved his excellent acting ability. I hope he wins an award for best actor=D Moon Chae Won performed her role well but I actually dont think this is her best character she has played. The supporting cast all performed their roles well but I wasnt obsessed with the characters. I do want to mention the little actress that plays PSH's niece. She was so believable and seems so talented for such a young age. Definitely want to see more from her.

Music- Was intense and really added to the changing mood. When it was romance scenes the music was lovely. When there was fighting the music heightened and elevated the suspense.

Rewatch- Although I liked the show I didnt have that special feeling I get when Im obsessed over a show. Because of this Im not sure whether I would rewatch this or not.

Overall my favorite part of The Princess' Man is the romance storyline between the main characters and definitely would recommend it for that reason=)
rainruma
8 of 10 people found this review helpful
Apr 21, 2014
This dramas is so much better than others in all its qualities… An epic Romance w/ political intrigue, in a captivating, tight and fast-moving plot… A story beautifully told and well executed by:
Amazing acting…Great directing/editing/writing…Beautiful cinematography…Superb production…Mesmerizing soundtrack…even the clothes were noticeably beautifully designed.
Awesome performance by Park Si-Hoo- I can understand all his thoughts & emotions through his eyes- from the charming, easy-going teacher to the tortured soul caught between read more Love and Revenge!!!
Surprisingly, one of the best romances I have ever seen… I have seen it several times and will, no doubt, watch it again in the future.
The Princess' Man

KBS2
  • Duration:

1 hr. 5 min.

• Score:

8.7 (scored by 3,239 users)
  • Ranked: