The Princess' Man (2011)

Sashimi
17 of 17 people found this review helpful
Jun 19, 2013
I don't usually write reviews for dramas and this would be my first; but I just had a few things I wanted to point out to people who are thinking of watching it.
(Sorry it’s pretty long haha)

• This is INTENSE. Hah. I watched it not long after completing "Cheongdamdong Alice" which is a light hearted romantic comedy with the same lead actor (Park Si Hoo) and they couldn't be further read more far apart and in opposite spectrums! And while intense dramas are usually the genre I opt for and I sincerely wasn't expecting a drama so masterfully written that would blow out the waters.
• 'Star crossed lovers'/ 'Forbidden love' are these genres that you love to venture into? Well this is right up your street. Although you may be presumptuous into believing you are getting a very typical 'Romeo & Juliet' type story, it has a lot more depth than you could ever imagine. I hope you’ll bear with the slow start of this drama)
• I highly applaud the writer for not taking us down the standard K-drama cliché route. While it's so hard to maintain fresh ideas (with so many dramas around) and avoid the typical rules of K drama land, I am impressed at how the story was carried out with some pretty un-predictable revelations. While it was not faultless I can’t say it applied to everything but it was a pretty damn close to being as far away as possible from being stereotypical.
• Astounding OST I don’t know about you, but I’m a sucker for a good OST. And boy does this do it for me. Baek Ji Young is definitely the queen of OST’S and this is just an additional one added to her line of hauntingly beautiful soundtracks she has done. Her song ‘Again, today I love you’ will stick with you long after the drama ended, that said all the songs that represent the main characters (Particularly the lovers Seung Yoo and Se Ryung) each have their own songs which literally scream what you can hear blaring from their hearts.
• Wonderful chemistry between the two leads. Usually something that is overlooked, as sometimes while it can be fantastic to put two high profile actors together for a drama however It doesn’t beat two leads who share an amazing on screen chemistry. While I don’t mean the fire work/sparks flying of the screen type, but the type, where you genuinely believe that these are two people in love. (I’d say their phenomenal acting has a lot to do with this) But you can feel/breathe each characters feelings and when they are happy, you’re joyful but when their heart’s break, so does yours.
• It’s not perfect. No not nit-picking, I absolutely loved this drama, and while nothing is perfect and I have so much praise for it. I want to point out that it does have its flaws; some parts of the drama can feel slightly dragged out, and you may feel at times you don’t get indulged enough into seeing enough of the romance side and on some occasions in episodes there wasn’t enough screen time for the romance aspect. Don’t get me wrong, I love the side stories and the political side was a great element of the story line as well as portraying why the two leads are the way they are; but at times I thought there was too much emphasis on the side stories and lack of concentration on the main protagonists. I think the long wait for these precious moments we all wait for did make it all so much sweeter when we finally got them and powerful scenes between Se-Ryung and Seung-Yoo were nothing short of spectacular.

Some moments I think I needed a fan/ Park Si Hoo sizzles and Moon Chae Won is unbelievably charming I am almost convinced this was not a drama and it all happened it real life.
I do hope you enjoy this hauntingly beautiful drama as much as I did, my heart gets a gut wrenching feeling when I hear the OST and although this is not my favourite drama nor will I be re watching it for a while (Too.Intense.man) need too cool off. Phew! I would watch it for just for the Seung Yoo/Se Ryung Moments (I do love this couple)
It’s not just another tragic love story drama, It’s set in a context where you can understand why the two leads would fall in love (‘stead of telling you that they had because it’s part of the plot), the development in each character is something you will see blossom and grow as you see how people lived/ and their values were at the time. It will make you reflect on what’s important and how it was never easy to live the way they wanted to back then as the complications of blood ties and where betraying your father was treason.
11tiggers
53 of 58 people found this review helpful
Aug 18, 2011
I'm going to throw myself out on a limb here and say, YOU MUST ABSOLUTELY WATCH THIS DRAMA! There is no doubt in my mind that despite this Drama is currently ongoing, this is quite possibly the best Drama i have ever watched. I even watched the RAWS to just feed my obsessive love for this Drama and still they do not suffice, i I WANT MORE!

Park Shi read more Hoo's performance in this is absolutely stunning. Words cannot begin to formulate how well he plays his role. At first i watched it as i would a normal Drama...check out the first episode see how things go from there; and as soon as i watched the first 20 minutes...i was captivated. Some may say i am overreacting, that it is not as good as i make out. Well, it's a matter of opinion at the end of the day, and me being ESPECIALLY fond of historical Drama's, find this to be an extremely grand surprise.

Anyone who is considering on watching "The Princess' Man", what is there to consider about? GO NOW! Watch. Enjoy.
Jeaniessi
77 of 87 people found this review helpful
Nov 3, 2011
So...if I start this review by saying I'm giddy in love with Park Shi Hoo would you roll your eyes, call me a fangirl and stop reading? You would? Well, then I'm not going to say it! Hey! Stop hovering your mouse over that unhelpful button and keep reading! I've have lots more to say about this Amazing show.

This drama started out with a lot of comparisons to Romeo and Juliet. read more It does have the element of two people who fall in love in spite of their family's bitter rivalry. But where the two part company is that in Mr. Shakespeare's original work you don't really get very much back story about why the Capulet's hate the Montague's. You simply know they hate each other and that the love between Romeo and Juliet is forbidden. In The Princess' Man you get a big sweeping story and you know exactly what odds are stacked against these two. They should have called this... "The Princess' Man and Her Father's Single Minded Drive to Be the King!"

The Princess' Man is packed full of action and revenge, sword fighting and battles to the death! What I'm saying is...This drama isn't just for women or those looking for a well told love story. If you are a person who prefers action, you need to know there is a perfect balance of badassery as well as a lovely and sweeping romance.

The acting in this show is stellar. I can't think of a single character in a single moment that had me cringing or thinking they were wrong for their part. Park Shi Hoo is wonderful and forgetting what I said up there...He is actually wonderful in everything he does so I wasn't surprised. Moon Chae Won is luminous as Sae Ryung. She pulls in a great performance. I loved her character's bravery and steadfastness. The plot kept me guessing until the very end and I love that I was never bored watching this show!

There is a lot going on, plot wise, and it is told to us by a writer with real story telling ability. I say that because I was also kept interested by the side character's stories as well. They were an intrinsic part of the tale, perfect satellites to the main characters and plot. I wanted to know their fates as well as the main couple's.

Let me sum up why you should watch this show in one sentence. The Princess' Man has an extremely well done and balanced combination of incredible acting, writing, directing and amazing cinematography.

I felt the music was a perfect fit for feel of the drama. There was only one song piece that felt a little overplayed. This show was so well crafted otherwise, I feel like I'm nitpicking but the music is my one 9 vote in a sea of 10's. I will watch this Lovely Show again. I can't recommend this highly enough!
uenorie
15 of 15 people found this review helpful
Apr 15, 2013
I am not fond of sageuks, but this one... this one took my breath away. If all sageuks were like this, I would never hesitate watching them. From the story to the acting to the music, this is one of the few dramas that got almost everything (if not everything) right. I loved everything about it. Excellent story, brilliant actors, great music. It was intriguing to watch how a daughter could turn read more her back on her father in order to stand up for what is right. Also, it was touching to see what real friendship was all about despite all the betrayals and such. But most of all, it was endearing to witness how one great love could withstand everything that came in its way; it makes me wonder if such love does exist in this world.

Three words: Stunning. Poignant. Unforgettable.
tichinatam
26 of 28 people found this review helpful
Jun 29, 2014
When I say this is my favorite drama ever, I'm not lying! I had been putting off this drama for a while because the short summary didn't seem to interest me- but trust, I regret putting it off for so long. I don't think could write bad thing about this drama, everything was perfect! t had a well-devised plot, and nothing dragged on too long. It was well compressed into 24 episodes- read more I even wish it went on longer. The cast had great chemistry- and the acting was phenomenal. This drama definitely played with my emotions- from the butterflies that Seryeong and Seungyoo gave me, to the annoyance and irritation the Grand Prince gave me due to his greed for power. The music was on point, every track perfectly suited the scene/situation. I recommend this drama to anyone! I'm starting to miss this drama and it's only been 3 days since I watched it lol :'(
DreamingKoreanBallad
23 of 25 people found this review helpful
Nov 12, 2014
Another drama that gets a 10 across the board from me lol, This was seriously such a good drama though, my heart is overflowing now after finishing it (how will I recover? <3 ) The beginning is really sweet and romantic and very enjoyable to watch - I was drawn in more by each episode but I was totally sunk by episode 11 (what can I say - I LOVE action mixed read more with desperate romance <3 )

Cast: Park Shi Ho (Seung Yu) he's a pretty good lookin' guy to begin with but take his hair down and put dark clothes on him - man you got a stud ;D Seriously, I have a thing for guys dressed like that <3 He starts off as a cheerful playboy type that changes when tragedy strikes his family - he then transforms into this Wildman for a few episodes (seriously, my sister walked in and asked me if I was watching a tarzan movie lol) and after that he goes into serious hottie mode - I can't not fangirl over him right now <3 Moon Chae Won (Se Ryeong) a very strong and brave woman who will risk anything for the man she loves. I loved her character and I applauded her several times (I even cheered once). She is exceptionally beautiful in this drama - her eyes are like does eyes - so pretty and so big and clear ;D Hong Soo Hyun (Princess Kyung Hye) when I started this I honestly wasn't that thrilled to see her after watching her very bad performance on Give Love Away earlier this year - I had put her on my blacklist - but after watching this drama I have to say she redeemed herself in my book and is now going to be removed from my blacklist. I really liked her character on here, I was slightly annoyed with her during a couple of the earlier episodes when her dad was alive but after that I loved her. Song Jong Ho (Shin Myun) - I hated his guts so much >_< I was anticipating his death. I loved Seung Yu's side-kicks from episode 11+ ;D they were a great addition to the show ;D And I adored his little niece - such a cutie <3 I could mention more but I covered the main ;D

Music: I loved all of it, but one song in particular (the very first song played on the very first episode) sounds identical to the Christmas song (Ring Christmas Bells) that half the time I couldn't take it seriously - I liked it but my mind would sing the Christmas song that I know lol - My favorite part's of the OST come by episode 13+ (Perfect songs with the perfect singers) <3

Re-watch Value: 10 - I will definitely re-watch this drama again (I might skip some of the "elder" characters scenes early on though lol)

Highly recommended ;D
Danya
Oct 19, 2013
This drama !!! Is the most beautiful thing my eyes ever saw *___* well from when can i begin the story is amazing it is like romeo and Juliet they loved each other after that he finds out that she is that person's daughter !!! And confused feelings !!!! The acting was awesome i mean in every drama there are those people who don't act well have some troubles with acting but read more this one's cast was soo awesome and they did a great job with the cast picking !!! And the music actually i liked all of the ost of the drama i think that it has 6 songs and i downloaded them all and i always listen to them and this drama talks about friendship,love,family,thriller and their love was ofcours amazing i had to repeat every scene between them until the one ep becomes magically two hours sooo overall this drama is perfect and it deserves 1000 not 10 and i am actually writing this review after i watched for the second time so it has a high rewatch value :) .
drama_addict
Jul 31, 2013
This drama is so perfect! I watched this for like 10 times already. It's really cruel but sometimes heartwarming! I love the casts, especially Moon Chae Won, she's really gorgeous. The storyline is great. I would definitely recommend this to everyone! I cried a lot for this drama too but it's really worth it. This along with Bridal Mask are my favorites!
fayeblue
Mar 17, 2013
This drama is truly a work of art in every sense of the word. Never have I seen such flawless, intricate and well-constructed plot with exceptional acting skills in a drama... It is so well written that every after episode, the suspense builds up and the plot keeps getting better. There is a complete balance of romance, drama, action, suspense tangled with love, friendship, betrayal, war, politics and revenge. The drama depicts read more many flaws of human nature so there will be times when you get so frustrated with the story but then again it teaches you the subtle meaning of life. There are a lot of clever twists in the story that you will never guess what will happen next. I absolutely love these twists because they keep you on your toes and keep you captivated to this drama ‘til the very end. It is also remarkably fast-paced that never will you experience a boring moment. The ending was good and very endearing to the heart.

The cinematography was good. It was able capture the life at the time of Joseon era in vivid colours.

The acting was outstanding. Each character portrayed their roles exceptionally well. I love all the characters in this drama. The female lead who is willing to sacrifice her own life and fight for the man she loves. The male lead who is conflicted and torn between his loyalty to his family and for the love of the woman he shouldn’t have. The antagonist for being so good at being the evil villain. The supporting characters were also good and endearing. They’ve become vital part of the story that without them the story would have been incomplete.

The Princess’ Man is undeniably the best drama I’ve ever watched so highly recommend it to everyone.
Taylor_elle
Mar 16, 2013
For me, The Princess Man is the best Korean drama that I have seen hitherto. From what I understand, it is a fictionalization of that time in Korean history when King Sejong usurped the throne from his very young nephew. Against this backdrop, the scriptwriters has sagaciously written a timeless, compelling and unforgettable love story of two young lovers ?both virtuous, courageous and intelligent in their own right? caught in a web read more of “deadly” political strife between their two families. I heard that this drama is Korea’s answer to William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, but there is so much character given to the two young lovers in this drama that I see it more like what Romeo and Juliet could have been if they were more developed.

In the beginning, the developing love story between the two lovers is very bright, innocent, and cheerful. However, unbeknownst to both, the insidious darkness that would eventually overshadow and overtake their courtship is also almost present from the beginning. I think the writers did a fine job of developing both the love story and the political strife simultaneously thus bringing both storylines to a culmination when both become dangerously and tragically entangled. It is also commendable the way the writers were able to seamlessly take the innocent premise of the genesis of the lovers’ courtship and turn it into a fatal circumstance, which almost proved fatal to the hero early in the story. It reinforces the way the seemingly “innocent” actions of the characters in this story can lead to unforeseeable and dire consequences.

As the story progressed along tragic lines, the love between the main couple begins to mature and truly shine as their affection and loyalty to each other is tested in the cruelest fashion. The best part about this is that both are fully aware of their morbid circumstances. They are not blinded by love. Both are fully aware of their duty to their families and try to abide by it even in spite of the deep love they share for each other. Nevertheless, as the injustices perpetrated by her father multiplied, the heroine is forced to take a stand of her own accord in answer to her own conscience.

Although this drama is remarkably well done, I think the thing that impressed me most is the deeply stirring love story. There aren’t a lot of love scenes compared to other Kdrama but every love scene that was done was meaningful, memorable, compelling, and brimming with chemistry. I really enjoyed the fact that both lovers were loyal and steadfast in their regard for each other from beginning to end even when there was little expectation that their love would see a happy conclusion. The love that they shared had that “against all odds” element to it. I also appreciated that the obstacles that kept them apart were valid and convincing rather than contrived like in a lot of other Kdrama. For once I didn’t have to roll my eyes while watching a kdrama.

I’ve seen all of Moon Chae Won’s drama where she’s played the lead including her most recent from 2012. I like her best in this drama most likely because of the character Se Ryung who, for me, is one of the best characters to grace the small screen in Kdrama. I think she did a fantastic job with Se Ryung’s character. I will never forget her. I’ve also seen all of Park Si Hoo’s drama except the one before The Princess Man. I like him best in this drama. His transformation from the bright charismatic Seung Yoo to the tragic Seung Yoo was well done in my opinion and I enjoyed it very much. While I like both characters independently, I love them best when they interact with each other. Their chemistry is extremely palpable. I don’t know if it might be due to the possibility that both actors became one with their characters but the emotional tenderness that they brought to the interactions between Seung Yoo and Se Ryung seemed so real that it astonishes. I think the acting from these two added immensely to unforgettable love story between Se Ryung and Seung Yoo.

The OST is poignantly beautiful. Every single song is germane to the love story and the producers used them effectively throughout the drama. Although it might seen like a particular song is repeated too often, it is only the case because it is relevant to the character or what is happening in the story at the time. For instance, "One Day of Love" is played a lot with Seung Yoo but that's because the song speaks of Seung Yoo's "sad fate" and his struggles over his love for the enemy's daughter. "I Love You Too" was often played in the beginning of the drama because at that time Se Ryung felt that her love was unrequited. "Goodbye My Love" is played only when the two couples in this story face the threat of permanent separation. The Italian theme "Destino" is used as a harbinger of doom and is very effective in heightening the chills that the drama gives off in grave scenes. Overall, the soundtrack is one of the best I've come across.

In conclusion, this drama has earned my earnest respect and appreciation. It is definitely my favorite Korean drama and unquestionably one of the best love story I have ever had the good fortune to watch accross all genre of fiction.
akisame
8 of 8 people found this review helpful
Jul 10, 2015
This drama wholly swept me up in its lush and suspenseful thrall; a beautiful plot with stunning visuals to match it, I was entirely possessed by ‘The Princess’ Man’.

I was expecting weepy melodrama due to it supposedly being modelled on ‘Romeo & Juliet’; however, ‘The Princess’ Man’ served up a lyrical romance, fierce conflict, an intricate and detailed plot and perfectly constructed three-dimensional characters that never failed to show growth or read more depth.

The romance and political intrigue were two sides of the same coin: the power-hungry Grand Prince Sooyang’ daughter (Lee Se Ryung) falls in love with his just mortal enemy’s (Kim Jong Seo) son (Kim Seung Yoo). Se Ryung struggles with the love for her Father and her moral alignments - which align with that of her father’s enemy - whilst the latter is caught between his love for Se Ryung and his strong desire to kill her father. Neither is unaware of the grave brevity of the situation that they are in. Se Ryung is no love-struck child, but a woman who knows the difference between right and wrong and (initially) attempts to resolve the lover for her father with the love for her man. Love and politics are inextricably linked to one another, which prevents the intrigue in the The Princess’ Man from wearing thin as it is impossible to think of a way the two star-crossed lovers can resolve the political tragedies that greatly hinder their chances to be with one another - thus making the drama even more compelling.

The intrigue doesn't simply act as a backdrop for Se Ryung and Seung Yoo’s love, but it is equally as compelling (at some moments, it is even more exciting) as the romance. The discord is wholly understandable and its impact is hellish. Lives are being torn apart, families are being broken and then restructured, friendships are being betrayed but not fully abandoned. Episodes zip by with major developments and revelations that leave you pressing the button for the next episode. Nothing disappoints and everything has an impact.

One’s heart will be left with a deep impression by this poetic and tragic drama that all should watch.
dramafreakboy
11 of 12 people found this review helpful
Oct 14, 2013
1) The reason I watched this :

The Trailer (promo) seemed too promising , the forbidden romeo-juliet themed love , encouraged me to watch .. ONE WORD this drama is THE BEST korean historical Drama I have ever seen , everything was perfect from acting , production , music , direction , This drama is no.1 on my list coz it contains everything a watcher needs from Romance , to action , read more politics and twists , to the extreme happy cute moments to extreme tear sad moments

2) Storyline/Plot:
Magnificent , the whole story was solid , the love , the cute romantic scenes , the hate , the revenge the forgiveness , the new love , everything about the story is perfect , the screen writes did a really good job , even secondary roles story are perfected .

*The cinematography is great , which is one of the strong points of this drama

*Main Genres:

--->Action and politics : Best ever

--->Romance: EPIC , the chemistry between the 2 main leads is high and present , u can feel every single feeling they feel , u'll live with them .. feel the love , hate , revenge , new love ..

Story: 10/10.

3) Acting/Cast:

*Main Leads : Moon Chae Won and Park Shi Hoo both of them done a really great job , the chemistry between them is high and present with strong impact.I became a big fan of moon chae won after this show , I watched all her other dramas ..

*Supporting actors : all of them done a perfect job every one in his role , starting from the king , to the servant . Kim Yeong Cheol , Song Jong Ho , Hong Soo Hyun
each done a really good job , Even the 6 years old Kim Yoo Bin , especially in ep 17 , I can't Imagine how a 6 years old girl can act this well !!!! she made me cry , 10/10 for choosing the supporting cast this perfect .

*Relationships:

--->Romance: the starting romance in 1st episodes " Beautiful and cute " I didn't expect it at all to be this great , coz this is a historical drama after all HOW CAN THE ROMANCE BE CUTE IN OLD TIMES , but seriously I was hooked, the scenes were amazing..And what's even more amazing even in hatred u can feel the chemistry between them , its my first time for me too watch love in hatred , u must watch to understand what I mean ..

chemistry 10/10

--->The triangle: It was a really good one , which didn't affect the development of romance between main leads , again one of the strong points . song Jong Ho did a great job

Cast: 9/10.
Acting: 10/10.

4) The ending: one of most memorable ending in k-drama land , and was beautifully done

The ending: 10/10.

5) My impression (How did it affect me):
Its like I lived in the world of love and dreams for a short period of time :) , the pure unconditioned love ..

*Is the drama memorable: YES

My impression: 9/10.

Rewatch : I rarely rewatch any drama , but this one I already watched it 4 times in less than a year , I have never done that before with any drama ..

6) Overall:
Overall: 10/10
The Princess' Man

KBS2
  • Duration:

1 hr. 5 min.

• Score:

8.7 (scored by 4,614 users)
  • Ranked: