The Princess' Man (2011)

bimba
16 of 19 people found this review helpful
Jun 14, 2012
one of my favourite dramas ever why ? this is the reasons :
- the story is great and have a lot of good twists that just sirprise you everytime.
-the cast (all of them) is amazing , high acting skills with a high chemestry.
-it s has lovely great romances(no just the leads), has action and a lot of thriller.
-what make a lot of moment breathtaking is the wonderful music, read more all the ost is just fantastic!
-well written and well directed every character is great in his on way!

the result is one of my favourite dramas ever!!!
Starlitelet
17 of 21 people found this review helpful
Feb 17, 2012
My Mini Back-story:

It`s been around a year that I haven't watched Korean dramas. Why? A lot of them are repetitive or lack originality in terms of plot and characters. Fortunately, out of the blue, I had this weird Korean nostalgic epiphany after randomly viewing The Moon That Embraces the Sun (TMTETS). And since TMTETS hasn't finished airing, I asked a friend for a list of recommendations. I was in a mood read more for a period/sageuk drama. Hence, I chose The Princess's Man. Boy, it was epic!

Storyline:

Where should I begin? I believe the correct first description is amazing. If you are still doubtful, then please do read on.

The pacing of The Princess's Man is just near perfect (at least in the latter half). If I were to watch this while it was still airing, I would have died for every week. Not only does this drama successfully execute the main plot-line, but the subplots are also beautifully woven together. I have watched countless of Korean dramas, and many of them fail to relate the subplots to the main plot-line. The Princess's Man is one of those few exceptional gems.

Moreover, the series touches upon many themes that will definitely peak most of its viewers' interest. In fact, there's a bit of everything for everyone.

Here is a sample of what this series has to offer:

a) Suspense. Almost every single episode ends with a cliffhanger. You will literally be on the edge of your seat. If not, you will start biting your nails(like me!).

b) Romance. Don't let the Romeo and Juliet tagline scare you. There's so much more to the OTP other than being star-crossed lovers. And if you don't like one couple, stay tune for more!

c) Family Relationships. Great stories revolving around different households interacting with their family members. The most prominent, IMO, is the father-daughter relationship.

d) Friendship. Love how all the friendships form/crumble (especially the trio and the two brave female characters).

e) Revenge. Who doesn't love a story of good vendetta?

f) Action. There are even some sword fight scenes.

g) Politics. If you're afraid of watching this because I've mentioned politics, don't fret. I had the same reaction. However, all the themes are evenly balanced out that even the politics between the old folks add suspense to the story.

h) Unpredictable. Yes, there are moments of predictability, but overall there are twists and turns that will leave your jaws drop.

i) Sense of humor/comedy. I like the small comedy relief. It helps ease the dramatic tension. I especially love the character, Jo Sook Ju.

j) Realistic. For a melodrama, it's actually quite realistic how the events play out (especially the ending). Even the characters react realistically so they don't make you mad (not that I've ever been put to a life-death sort of test before).

I can go on, but it will be a better experience for you to explore. Trust me.

Speaking of realism, every action that each character takes has some sort of repercussion later on. Everything happens for a reason. Therefore, there is not a moment where something is unnecessary.
Side note: If you're hesitant after watching a couple of episodes, don't stop! All the problems will heighten and much more will be at stake. It's a wonder how some of these characters escape/win their problems.

Characters:

I was emotionally invested in every single character, ranging from the leading casts all the way to the supporting casts. It's so rare to come across a drama where every single character matters.

Nonetheless, my love for these characters blossomed over time (even for the 'bad guys'). And if a character is able to change my first judgmental impression of him/her, then that must be some awesome characterization.

My favorite characters (since I can't choose just one) are: Se Ryung, Su Yang, Seung Yoo, and Princess Kyung Hye. Yeah, that's a lot!

The 'bad guys' and 'good guys' aren't simply color coded as black and white. The 'good guys' aren't superbly smart nor are they godly strong (thank the lord!). Even the 'bad guys' have redeemable qualities. Therefore, everyone has flaws which makes them likable/relatable.

If you compare the first few episodes to episode 14, you will see a huge range in character development. There isn't a single character that is left underdeveloped (the closest is perhaps the character of Myun).

In addition, it's so much more enthralling when the villain is one of the main characters. It adds more depth/layer to the already gripping storyline.

Acting:

The actors playing my favorite characters are the ones (in my opinion) who were phenomenal. Nonetheless, nobody shied away from the limelight.

Moon Chae Won and Park Shi Hoo have so much chemistry together. It's undeniable! There's not a moment of dullness (perhaps a bit of cheesiness, but it's a Korean drama). Whenever they go through a roller-coaster ride, it gives me a huge adrenaline rush. I also love the fact that both of them contribute equally in the relationship (I hate it when the man does all the work). They also exude so much emotion that easily captivates viewers (just look at the expressions in their eyes). Whether they're apart/together, they're both awesome.

Se Ryung is definitely MCW's strongest performance by far. On the other hand, I cannot judge PSH because this is my first drama of his. Honestly, his looks didn't originally capture my heart, but the more I see him with his smile and dark looks, the more this fictional character/actor wins a piece of my heart.

Kim Young Chul steals the screen whenever he appears. I somehow really understand his character (not that I'd side with his doings). I just love the way he portrays Prince Suyang/King Sejo. I also love the heart-tugging relationship between his and MCW's character.

Hong Soo Hyun's character speaks 1000 words without saying anything. I am still so amazed by how much she cried. Whenever she shed tears, I felt her pain. The way her bottom lips quiver/(involuntarily) tremble she cries seems utterly believable. I'm surprised that she didn't dehydrate from all those exhausting scenes.

All in all, these talented actors made the drama shine even further. They were genuine/comfortable in their roles.

Soundtrack:

I love the entire OST. The songs played at the right time (like spot-on). Hence, it enhanced the quality of the series.

For example, the song that played at the end of each episode/cliffhangers made it feel so epic. Even the songs that played during the vendettas or the shocking scenes are those to look out for. Don't even get me started on the emotional soundtracks that played through SR and SY's meetings.

I've been putting the OST on replay everyday!

My favorites are (once again, I can't choose just one): Longing, I Love You Today, Destino, Vola, Irreversible, The Day Comes and One Day of Love.

Bonus:

Great intricate traditional clothing. Lavishing scenery. Vivid colors. Captivating representation of historical figures (mainly speaking of King Sejo). Obviously, it's not literally accurate, but it gives you a nice glimpse/idea of Korean history.

Overall:

I completely stopped watching TMTETS because I was so caught up with TPM that even after finishing TPM, I didn't feel like going back to TMTETS. As sad as it sounds, after the final song played in episode 24, I felt like I've lost a great friend.

It's been so long that I haven't found such a wonderful Korean drama.
And of course there are some flaws with TPM, but they're so minor compared to other Korean dramas that it's not necessary to nitpick about them.

Definitely going to re-watch this again. I'm even planning on having a marathon with my friend!

Overall rating for review: 9.5/10

Purely for entertainment: 10/10

My Dramalist rating (avg): 9.75/10
EvesSecret
13 of 16 people found this review helpful
Aug 10, 2012
This is the first time I am writing a review! I just finished watching this drama. My suggestion is to keep watching!!!

Once, my friend and I were talking about which drama we preferred. And she said "One that would make me cry."
Well if i had the chance i would definitely would suggest her to watch this.

I have to say the acting was simply great. Those characters that I despised read more in the beginning changed my thoughts in the end. I was actually crying for them. It turned out to be a lesson for them.

I loved the romance. This is a great remake of Romeo and Juliet!!!!

As for the story of revenge. I thought about what the writer was thinking. In my mind the writer wanted to create a story line - "life isn't perfect. We fail. We succeed. But in the end we learn." From some of the scenes I thought about "when you don't think things through, you simply fail." Therefore, I have to say this drama teaches you a lot of powerful lessons.

Unfortunately, the meaning of revenge in this drama is quite different from what I have in mind. In my opinion, I prefer City Hunter's, Iljimae's, etc. ways.

Remember everyone has a different opinion.
KDramaCucko
5 of 5 people found this review helpful
Oct 14, 2013
I don't even know how to begin this review other than these 3 words: Oh! My! Gosh!

It's been a year since I watched The Princess's Man, and I am still captivated by the story line and the lead actress and actor. This is absolutely one of the greatest Korean dramas I ever watched.

A very beautifully written drama. It is not like any other ordinary show. I watched the first 5 read more episodes and had to make sure that it's only 5 episodes and not 16 because the story line is to tight and so good! It already has so many conflicts from the beginning of the drama. The story kept me on edge even though I could not bear watching the heart-wrenching scenes of betrayal.

The main leads are SUPER AWESOME!
Love love love them!
They did really well portraying their characters. I highly recommend this drama.

A must watch!
lalalacruz
5 of 5 people found this review helpful
Feb 20, 2013
At first, I thought ‘The Princess’ Man’ will just be another drama that will have no difference from the others, just another drama that will be boring, and just another drama that will not leave any special mark on my heart. However, I WAS VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY WRONG!!! From the very first episode of this epic drama, I got hooked immediately!You will be amazed on how the characters gave justice read more to their roles! So many things happened in just one episode! It’s not boring at all! You will be intrigued in every episode! You will be nervous all the time! You will feel as if you are the one being betrayed! You will be angry at how politics can take innocent lives! You will wonder what is justice and sacrifice all about! You will feel relieved after every episode! You will be sad and happy at the same time! Lastly, you will feel really what love is. :) This drama is epic! Amazing! Brilliant! A blast! Fantastic! Shrewdly written! THE BEST! I thought no drama could beat Save the last dance for me, Winter Sonata, Coffee Prince, It started with a kiss, My girl, The moon that embraces the sun, and A gentleman’s dignity, but The Princess’ Man did. All the dramas I mentioned are my all-time-favorite-dramas and The Princess’ Man got the first place. Though different genres of stories, I still put Princess’ Man in the first place. My heart has been captured by this great drama!!! I am so sorry that I only watched it now. :( I REALLY LOVE Se Ryung and Kim Seung Yoo! I really really really cried a lot and I can’t stop my tears from falling down even after the drama has already ended!I cried a river because it has touched the depths of my heart. OMG, I’m starting to get emotional again. :3 THIS DRAMA HAS IT ALL!!!!!! I can say no more.

"What is justice?"

"What is loyalty for me? How far will I go for my loyalty to someone?"

"How much pain can I endure for love?"

"What will I do if the person whom I value more than my life is the flesh and blood of someone who merciless killed my own family for his/her own evil intentions?"

Those are the questions you will surely ask yourself. If you are doubting my convictions, then watch it to see for yourself.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS TO YOU. ^_^
dramafreakboy
Oct 14, 2013
1) The reason I watched this :

The Trailer (promo) seemed too promising , the forbidden romeo-juliet themed love , encouraged me to watch .. ONE WORD this drama is THE BEST korean historical Drama I have ever seen , everything was perfect from acting , production , music , direction , This drama is no.1 on my list coz it contains everything a watcher needs from Romance , to action , read more politics and twists , to the extreme happy cute moments to extreme tear sad moments

2) Storyline/Plot:
Magnificent , the whole story was solid , the love , the cute romantic scenes , the hate , the revenge the forgiveness , the new love , everything about the story is perfect , the screen writes did a really good job , even secondary roles story are perfected .

*The cinematography is great , which is one of the strong points of this drama

*Main Genres:

--->Action and politics : Best ever

--->Romance: EPIC , the chemistry between the 2 main leads is high and present , u can feel every single feeling they feel , u'll live with them .. feel the love , hate , revenge , new love ..

Story: 10/10.

3) Acting/Cast:

*Main Leads : Moon Chae Won and Park Shi Hoo both of them done a really great job , the chemistry between them is high and present with strong impact.I became a big fan of moon chae won after this show , I watched all her other dramas ..

*Supporting actors : all of them done a perfect job every one in his role , starting from the king , to the servant . Kim Yeong Cheol , Song Jong Ho , Hong Soo Hyun
each done a really good job , Even the 6 years old Kim Yoo Bin , especially in ep 17 , I can't Imagine how a 6 years old girl can act this well !!!! she made me cry , 10/10 for choosing the supporting cast this perfect .

*Relationships:

--->Romance: the starting romance in 1st episodes " Beautiful and cute " I didn't expect it at all to be this great , coz this is a historical drama after all HOW CAN THE ROMANCE BE CUTE IN OLD TIMES , but seriously I was hooked, the scenes were amazing..And what's even more amazing even in hatred u can feel the chemistry between them , its my first time for me too watch love in hatred , u must watch to understand what I mean ..

chemistry 10/10

--->The triangle: It was a really good one , which didn't affect the development of romance between main leads , again one of the strong points . song Jong Ho did a great job

Cast: 9/10.
Acting: 10/10.

4) The ending: one of most memorable ending in k-drama land , and was beautifully done

The ending: 10/10.

5) My impression (How did it affect me):
Its like I lived in the world of love and dreams for a short period of time :) , the pure unconditioned love ..

*Is the drama memorable: YES

My impression: 9/10.

Rewatch : I rarely rewatch any drama , but this one I already watched it 4 times in less than a year , I have never done that before with any drama ..

6) Overall:
Overall: 10/10
jediprincess
Mar 19, 2013
This Romeo-and-Juliet-like drama sent me to the edge of a cliff and I got affected so much with the struggles and motivations of the main characters. It has the best villain you will hate and love at the same time because he was so effective to his role as the evil Crown Prince Su Yang who defied fate and the heavens to fulfill his wish of sitting on the Royal throne.

My read more dilemma every time I watch a period drama is I have to do a background check and keep my attention focused so I won’t miss the important details, and with my grasshopper-ish attention span, it was really hard, but no matter how dramatic the series went, I did not halt my horse and stayed with it because they made it so stirring and so emotionally invoking.

The directing and cinematography were captured efficiently projecting a gripping story throughout its conclusion. How they maneuvered the movements of the conflict without making the protagonists looked so annoyingly pathetic was strategically laid which made me admire the writer of the story.

The acting was top-notch. Everyone stepped up and portrayed their characters as they balance their roles to complement and support each other. I was so moved with how the lead couple struggled to claim the love that is rightfully theirs. Feeling Seung-yoo’s pain sent me crying and cursing at the King who I believe was Voldie’s cousin, and I applaud Se-ryung’s facets of characters displayed throughout the story. Again, the main villain here I hated so much and was already placed in my hall of famers.

The Princess’ Man is a drama so complete and will suffice the addiction you will endure as you gape each episode. It has a conflict that was justified well and was concluded in a realistic manner. It was agonizing and yet a very loving tale that will remind you of the risks in committing yourself to someone, the bittersweet pain of coming to terms that love has always casualties and the reality that until you learn to forgive, you will not be able to feel in your arms that person who defined you what is love. -jediprincess ^_^
Starae
Jul 10, 2012
The story was phenomenal, you just can't stop watching the moment you start and it continues to pull you in until the very end. I couldn't count the amount of times I cried. It's a very moving story and you cant help but feel attached to the characters and feel sympathy for them.

Acting:
The Acting was amazing! I especially liked Park Shi Hoo, he did such a great job portraying read more Kim Seung Yoo's rollarcoaster ride of emotions. I liked him so much that I will probably go and watch more of the dramas he is in. Everyone else did a wonderful job as well.

The music was good....at first, but once you hit the further episodes you're begging for them to stop playing some of the songs. The song with the man with the raspy voice singing was really great though, it really makes you feel the emotion.

Rewatch:
I've never re watched a drama and I probably never will, but I usually give it a high rating just because.

Overall:
IT'S WORTH THE WATCH! You won't regret it!
BPetra
Sep 17, 2012
I Can not give this drama lower then 10. There is nothing that is particulary wrong with it. The story is very complex and interesting, with great characters who ráre inteligent and strong. And I am not only talking about the main pairing but also about supporting characters (i esp liked the "other" princess story with her husband).
Im not so much into revenge dramas, but this one really got me on read more my knees. It was nicely served and told.

Just how great were characters, acting was amazing too. I could feel their emotions right through the screen. I cryied with them and lived their happy moments. That does not happen often to me.

Music wal also exceptional (Destino is my fvourite)

Also i would like to mention the cinematography. Im rewatching it on HD and i have to say its real pleasure for my eyes.

Overall ... 10 works for me :)
dramajunkie
Oct 8, 2011
Oh TPM, where do I start? (I can go on forever, but will limit myself).

This was the second sageuk drama I've watched, and I'm very unfamiliar with Korean history, so I wasn't sure if I should take it up or not, but I couldn't resist after reading the synopsis. Let's just say that it was a VERY good choice.

TPM is the best drama read more I have seen this year (a year that has seen many good dramas), and probably of all time. It does not lack in anything. The acting was amazingly good. The story was exceptional, and had me hooked from early in the drama. Each character was so very well written and developed as well as believable that, unlike many other dramas, I never had the urge to skip over any part of any episode, even all the political filled scenes. The OST was also very good and fitting of the story. Watching this drama has been a wonderful journey and I'm very saddened now that it's over.

In short, if you are looking for a drama that is extremely well made all around; will make you smile at times, cry at others (maybe more of the latter than the former), and actually feel for the OTP throughout the entire series, then TPM is a drama you can't miss!
Crazy4You
Oct 7, 2011
Ohh where to begin! This drama I wasn't sure I was even going to pick up but around 4 episodes out I started to watch it. It's my very first saeguk drama as well. In the beginning I didn't have any expectations for it - except for a happy ending. As the episodes progressed I found myself more and more liking the drama. And then somewhere around episodes 8 or 9 I read more became addicted to it. Each episode kept getting better - I found myself in a whirl of emotions while I watched. Waiting each week I tried to be patient but as soon as subs were available I dropped everything else to watch it.

The story has a Romeo & Juliet theme - for most people this might turn them away. After all, everyone knows the tragedy that befell that couple. This drama is indeed a tragedy in many parts. Don't let that turn you away from this drama - everything about it turned out right in the end. I encourage you to watch it to understand what I mean by that (:

The characters....oh where to begin. I found myself rooting for our leads in their struggle to be together - the fight against Su Yang. His character is one you find yourself hating right away. Shin Myeong - his character many hated but I couldn't bring myself to hate him. Why? Because he was so pitiful. I imagine his choice was a difficult one and I could feel that he was torn in making it. Princess Kyeung Hye - I didn't like her in the beginning, there were things she did that made it hard to like her. I felt myself understanding her character more as time progressed - and by the end her character was one I found myself liking.

That being said - the acting is wonderful!! No complaints at all! This was the first drama I've seen Park Shi Hoo act in and I absolutely loved him! Moon Chae Won I remember seeing in Shining Inheritance as the step sister. Seeing her go from her pitiful character in that drama to the role she has in this makes me think she's a good actress. Of course the rest of the cast is great as well!

The music....it's beautiful! The entire soundtrack is beautiful! From the instrumentals to the actual songs - all of them are great and fit the flow of the drama very well. I also loved the songs they had in Italian - "Vola" and "Destino." The original Romeo & Juliet story is from Italy so I felt this was a nice touch.

I can see myself rewatching this drama someday - although not anytime soon.

Overall - what else can I say? This is a terrific drama! A must watch of 2O11! It's the best drama I've seen this year from the handful I have seen. If you haven't already begun this drama I highly recommend it!

Also - in my own personal opinion I felt this was a much better story than Romeo & Juliet. By that I mean it felt more realistic and believable to me.

Watch it!! (:
rachso
9 of 11 people found this review helpful
Mar 29, 2014
Wow just wow. Before I watched it every one compared it to Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, however Romeo and Juliet was not this intense. If only every drama had acting and a story line this good. seriously. I dropped this drama At first because I won't lie to you it's tragic right from the first episode, which is why it is the best politics romance drama I have ever watched. Have you read more ever seen someone thanking a person for stalking and kidnapping them. Well not thankfull persay really just glad, they had the strongest chemistry I have ever seen in all the Korean dramas I have watched so far, it wasn't like these romantic drama clichés, no. it was realistic enough. Overall IT WAS SUPERB!!!! Huh.,,
The Princess' Man

KBS2
  • Duration:

1 hr. 5 min.

• Score:

8.7 (scored by 3,219 users)
  • Ranked: