Flower Boy Ramen Shop (2011)

b2uty
Feb 12, 2012
When I began watching this drama I was so close to ending it in the first episode. It seemed completely overacted and the story very typical but before I knew it i was sitting there with a box of kleenex crying my eyes out with these characters. This was a very good drama. And the actors are all extremely good looking so that helps a lot. The story wasn't the most original read more but I feel they really did amazing with what they had. I would definitely recommend this drama.
mangoman73
Feb 7, 2012
This drama was fun. Far more fun than I expected, and far more fun than the synopsis led me to believe. It was unbelievably crazy in a cute way, fast-paced and filled with twisty plots, but surprisingly not too overdone.

There were some parts in the plot that were over the top or unnecessary, but these were balanced out by the charming interaction of the side characters. Whilst I found the main read more pairing at times a little infuriating, though often adorable, the characters of the flower boys (in particular, Crazy Rooster and Pillar) were enough to keep everyone hooked. I even loved Crazy Rooster's love interest, as she was a great foil to the old fashioned female lead.

Overall, I expected eye-candy and I expected stupidity and I expected angst. While all three of these did occur, the eye-candy was worth it, the stupidity cute and the angst infrequent and meaningful. This is not the most original or poetic drama that you will ever watch, but the antics of the characters from episode to episode will leave you with a smile on your face.
Ecks
Dec 29, 2011
This is exactly the type of drama I like to watch. Fun, light hearted, with a dash of angst thrown in every once in a while. It has some excessive sillyness at times, but for a drama like this I found it really enjoyable.

You will really enjoy the main characters, and the chemistry between them is great **There are some good kissy scenes ^^**. It is 16 episodes so it isn't read more too long, but the characters still are able to evolve and grow and it didn't happen to quickly, so it didn't feel fake. Plus the acting is pretty good too! I found that it wasn't too predictable, although others may disagree. Of course there are the cliche scenes that have to happen in dramas like these, but i enjoyed the characters so much I didn't mind. There are a couple sad scenes as well as a couple serious parts, but I liked that they didn't keep on them too long and let you go back to the fun and sillyness that makes this show great.

Overall, if you aren't looking for a hard core angsty drama that will make you cry every episode and want to watch something that will make you laugh and fan girl *or boy* sigh at all the pretty people, then this is a great pick!
Enigma_J_S
3 of 5 people found this review helpful
May 4, 2012
I found this drama really really funny! The bromance had me smiling all the time. Even the "bad" characters had me laughing, you couldn't really hate them. The storyline could have been a little better but overall, it served it's purpose of being a romantic comedy. The acting was great and the hot scenes were hot. I was fanning myself a good amount of times. I must say that TvN is not read more afraid to get spicy lol. I would watch this again, especially when I'm feeling down. I recommend the readers to watch as well.
makou
3 of 5 people found this review helpful
Feb 25, 2012
This is my first review and I don't know if this will be helpful and maybe I might be going too easy on this. But I'll give it a try. :)

So I completed this drama yesterday and it left me with a good feeling. The ending wasn't the most interesting one I have seen, but it was more realistic that way, if it would have been too much "...and everyone lived read more happily ever after" I would have liked it, but it might be better this way. It left me having a sad feeling for that one character though, but that's given.

The story was interesting, pretty much predictable, till the end, but it was fun and sad. Something you could easily enjoy. This drama was one of those basic korean dramas which you can enjoy and you don't need to think about anything too much. You want to cheer for main character's love and hope she ends up with the one you would prefer for her. Eventhough in real life many might have made another decision...or maybe not. It's love, you can't really stop your heart feeling like you do.

The acting...hmmh pretty much over-reacting scenes (especially Eun Bi and Cha) but they did their job well. If you NEED to think about their acting too much while watching it's bad, but if you watch smootly without thinking acting, only roles, it can't be that bad, right? ...and Kang Hyuk, I just wanna give him a hug. He's so adorable.

Music has the same rule. If you don't think about it and other sounds in the drama too much, it's good and means it has succeeded. But if you keep noticing something about sounds, it has failed. Music should fit to the scene. BUT I feel like I have heard Radiohead's creep way too much in way too many dramas and here I heard it again. That's NG.
WhenFangirlsAttack00
Jun 20, 2012
I started watching this because it seemed like a nice short series to watch, and if that's what you're looking for it is. It was funny, cute, and just plain adorable. I loved the acting. I had never before seen a drama with Jung Ill Woo, even though I had heard great things about him, and was he was a terrific actor. In fact the acting overall was amazing. I loved the read more music because it was simple and cutesy which is what this entire drama was up to a point. I enjoyed the story, I liked the idea of where it was going, but towards the end I got disappointed.

Something so simple and cute went crazy and out of control (I call this the "Boys Before Flowers Effect" if you've ever seen that drama) Too much happened from what there was, and some of the characters disappointed me. The ending at least for me was rushed and sloppy compared to the rest of the drama which contained some excellent climaxes and was directed very well.

If you're looking for something simple and light to watch just for laughs or just because you have nothing else to watch, then I recommend it highly. If you are however looking for an intense, thought-provoking, rapid plot, this isn't something you should be watching right now, even though I do recommend it be watched at least once, just to experience the humor.
musicgirl25
Dec 31, 2011
I've just finished watch this drama. I'm so excited when I watched this, even my heart raced with this movie. It boiled like they said like a ramyun your heart will boil. It happened to me. hahahaha. A first I like how they could make any kind of ramyun and put some passion in there. Also the story tell us about how a spoiled rich boy fell in love and he changed read more for the one he loved. The story is great overall, there are some part that can make you sad but also funny and happy at the same time. The cast I love how the director chose Jung Il Woo as the main character, because he has the charisma that could fill the position of spoiled rich boy Cha Ji Soo, also the main woman character that 6 older than him. As for the soundtrack, There are some song that I like but not most of it. This is the first time I don't like too much with the soundtrack, as I usually always went crazy for every single drama soundtrack that I have watched. So overall, if you like a romantic story with different kind of feeling that make your heart boiling this is the drama that you should watch.
amoon
Dec 23, 2011
This drama was GREAT!!! I wish there would be a second season. The story line was so good and it always kept you on edge. Every emotion could be felt and the acting was so good, especially Chwa Chi Soo (Jung Il Woo). Get ready to laugh in each episode. This drama is full of laughs and makes you feel good. Even in serious situations, somebody will say something that will make read more you laugh so hard and eases up the situation. You should really watch this drama.
dramaholic136
Dec 21, 2011
I'm watching this show while I'm having my exams , i can't wait to watch another episode it's really amazing , i have watched 6 episode in 1 day!! their acting are amazing especially jung il woo/cha chi soo.. he really grow up in this drama, love him v.v. much..and they make a great chemistry with lee chung ah/yun bi... i love seeing them together ..it's a slice of comedy/romance/drama
who ever read more are a fan of Kdrama , will love this drama, i guaranty... that you will love it :)
allyson
5 of 12 people found this review helpful
Sep 25, 2012
What happens when you take Secret Garden and remove the fantasy and all of the subtle things that make it such a romantic and amazing drama? Why, you end up with Flower Boy Ranyun Shop! The show has zero qualms about blatantly trying to capitalize on the success Secret Garden enjoyed. I won't go into the similarities, just because they are strikingly obvious to anyone who has seen both dramas.

I will read more say why Flower Boy failed in trying to emulate Secret Garden. One reason being, the love triangle. Of course in Secret Garden there is the hint of a love triangle. No one more than I wanted the director and Ra I'm to lock lips at least once! I felt the same way in this show about and Eun Bin and one of her suitors. But for entirely different reasons. He and Eun Bi had a pretty hot connection! Where I just felt bad that the director had this unrequited love, Eun Bi's secondary suitor was smoking hot and definitely deserving of a good make out scene. They also dragged the love triangle out way, way too long. In SG, a love triangle was so minor, it's laughable, but it mainly focused on a different external obstacle towards their love. Flower Boy tried to work the love triangle til the end, and then, as an afterthought, throw in some obstacles once the decision was made. It was totally jumping the shark.

The cast was pretty well done, I thought. Especially the sidekicks, they were adorable most of the time. I thought Kang Hyuk was remarkably well acted, the best of the three leads. I just wanted to hug him all of the time! If I ha met Cha Chi Soo in real life though, much like The lead in SG, he'd have been missing some teeth by the time I was done with him.

All in all, it's not a bad drama, but definitely nothing to go out of your way to watch. The romance was mediocre, the comedy amusing, so if you have time to kill you might pick this up. But honestly, if you haven't watched Secret Garden yet, I'd watch that before spending time on this one!
rachso
4 of 9 people found this review helpful
Mar 23, 2014
In terms of comedy and acting all I can say is wow just wow. I mean who was the director the chemistry was steaming and the romance wasn't the normal korean hugging And pecking, no this one had... Well ...watch it. And the actress was really good. Every one was really good, not to forget this guy that sleeps in any place. However simple the story was the drama in this one read more kept me going. It was superb
RamenGirl
4 of 9 people found this review helpful
Oct 21, 2012
Normally I wouldn't write a review but this drama left me very unsatisfied and I felt it necessary as I practically had to force myself to finish the ending. It also left me with an upset stomach all night. This is going to be hard without revealing spoilers but I'll try my best. And please remember this is MY personal opinion, I don't expect everyone to feel the same way.

Regarding the read more STORY: This plot would have been overused and bland if it didn't have Yang Eun Bi in a role reversal - her being the strong one and Cha Chi Soo being more of the damsel in distress. My problem with this is that I felt it was executed poorly. I found Cha Chi Soo being six years younger than Yang Eun Bi to be an extreme turn off (honestly it's always a turn off for me but I can go with it in other dramas with better execution) and unnecessary to the story as he was also the rich boy pretty type who was supposed to get off his high horse and grow/develop. But to me, he was a spoiled selfish brat the entire time. Yes, in the end he "gives up everything" to be with Eun Bi but his last lines left me feeling like nothing had changed. He still expected everything and everyone to fall at his feet at the click of his fingers. Yang Eun Bi's character just returns to how she'd originally been, headstrong and seeing her love through with everything she's got - exactly how we found her in the beginning albeit a little more honestly in that Cha Chi Soo hasn't been deceived to her being a girly girl. In my opinion, there was no character development in any of the characters except Ba Wool who just grabbed the white swan in the end and just went for it, no longer being hesitant and cowardly in love.

The CAST: I have no qualms about the cast as they introduced me to my love Lee Ki Woo (Kang Hyuk), and I found Ba Wool and Hyun Woo to be lovable but otherwise have no opinion.
On ACTING: I enjoyed the characters as far as comedic and feel-good scenes but was unconvinced with the love scenes. I understand you can't choose who you fall in love with and a relationship's not always going to be easy, but to me, Eun Bi just came off to be suffering the entire time, the end didn't even feel like she really realized she was in love.

MUSIC: Honestly, I can't tell you a single track I remember clearly from this drama or any part of a track I wanted to go find and listen to again. The only thing I can remember sound wise is the sound effect at the end of each episode where the stills move to nudge each other. So this is a fail?

REWATCH VALUE: From my comments in the story section, I think you know I would give this a zero if it were an option. I would honestly only rewatch three scenes from this drama and they all include sleepy sweetie Kang Hyuk: when Kang Hyuk (in nothing but a towel, mmph!) finally reveals himself to be living with Eun Bi in the beginning; when the orphanage women come to make kimchi and get the wrong impression of Eun Bi having a husband and lover whilst living with two other school boys; and the scene where Kang Hyuk thinks White Lily's name is white bitch.

OVERALL: I gave this a 5 because I feel certain people can enjoy this drama but for me, it was no good. I understand dramas with open-endings and realistic approaches (come on, I got over the ending for 49 Days) but do you think I want that when the title of the show is Flower Boy Ramyun Shop? No, I'm looking for something funny and romantic to get away from real life, not have it slap me back in the face.
Flower Boy Ramen Shop

tvN
  • Duration:

45 min.

• Score:

7.5 (scored by 10,391 users)
  • Ranked: