Flower Boy Ramen Shop (2011)

puzzleduser
5 of 6 people found this review helpful
Mar 22, 2013
Maybe I missed something along the way, but it was hard to suspend my belief and get myself invested into the story. Honestly, I could believe the actions and the paths the characters take, for me they don't make sense.

With this drama, I felt disappointment as I had high expectations in the first episodes. In the beginning, the drama felt cutesy, and quirky but it quickly lost its appeal for me. read more I guessed the only storyline that made sense was the one between the coach and the friend of Eun Bi(? is that the name)

All other stories honestly didn't make sense.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, there is one thing that saves this drama from utter disaster for me, and that is Cha Chi Soo. I don't wanna say this because it could be a spoiler so I'll warn you.

========Spoiler========

Best first kiss. There I said it, best kiss.
MoseKnows_all
4 of 5 people found this review helpful
Sep 5, 2012
I started watching this show simply based on all the hype and I only completed it b/c of Park Min Woo & Lee Ki Woo. I will admit FBRS had its sweet/cute/funny moments but overall I was underwhelmed. I was more invested in the secret relationship between Dong Joo & Coach and the Ba Wool/Hyun Woo 'couple' then I ever was in Chi Soo & Eun Bi. Chi Soo was a frustrating read more character to root for; I found him overly aggressive & obsessive, as well as emotionally stunted (which made sense since he was still a teenager). Simply blaming his father for his behavior is a cop-out IMO. I did finally soften on CS the last 2 episodes but that doesn't make up for the other 14 where I personally didn't care for him. The show wasn’t horrible but it never matched the hype in my eyes. ***This show grew on me more & more since originally finishing & reviewing it. I still think the story & character development was all over the place, but I found myself thinking back on random moments & smiling or laughing months later. Overall, there's more to like about this show then there is to hate.
Fulko
May 28, 2013
This was my second drama I ever watched. I looked for light comedy just for entertaining. Then I saw 9gag pic which presents one scene of Flower Boy Ramen Shop and I knew that I must see it. After reading synopsis I thought that will be ordinary romance between teacher and her pupil. I was wrong. Plot positively surprised me.

But now I write some words about main characters.

Yang Eun Bi read more (Lee Chung Ah), 25 year old, pretending to be a teacher, woman. At first sight, she’s not beautiful, but has something in her eyes. It’s nice to watch her. She also acted very well. The best was her mimic! Adorable and amazing!

Cha Chi Soo (Jung Il Woo) is mentioned pupil. Son of director of huge corporation which handle with lot of things. For instance restaurants and schools. He grown up in world where you can get everything when you have money. I didn’t like him at first. Only one thing was good in him. We’re from the same year ;) But thanks to his behavior there was lot of funny gags. He is convincing in his acting. Both in comedy scenes and the ‘tragic’ ones.

Choi Keng Hyeok (Lee Ki Woo), is very mysterious. He has ‘dark’ past. He’s Korean, but grown up in Japan. He’s good cook, and chef of tile ‘Ramen Shop’ At first he act as typical comedian character, but over time we see him from more romantic side. He’s totally opposite of Chi Soo. My favorite character! He also act well.

During watching this drama you can see war between this two men. They both are roosters, but not from same year. It’s some kind of symbolical generation battle. According to symbols. This story goes around restaurant. Some characters used cooking metaphors and symbols to describe people characters or feelings.

It’s worth to write something about supporting characters in this drama. They’re as expressive as main ones. Everyone has own history. Some of them have surprising final.

It’s time to describe music. Soundtrack is good. There is few very good or even beautiful songs. Several of them even have a role in plot.

There is also one thing which made me want to see next episode. Most of them was ended by cliffhangers. But in next episode we don’t see reveal of scene, but flashback describes reasons of this situation.

To sum up I recommend this drama to people who want to watch romance as well to people who want to see comedy with funny gags. This ramen was really taste!
xnopex
May 13, 2012
sooooooooo: older woman falls for cute rich guy, extremely hot second male lead competes for her affections, hijinx ensue

the above describes a good number of korean dramas, but what sets this drama apart from those is that it remains completely humorous and light-hearted. this drama uses korean drama cliches (and there's a bit of makjang) but handles them in a fresh and original way.

definitely recommended!
ainuuut
Feb 17, 2012
I had high anticipations for this drama. It started off really promising: it was funny, it had great and beautiful actors in it. But as the story went on, it started to get boring. The story resembled a typical shoujo manga: we have a dumb, average looking girl; a handsome, rich but a jerk guy and another guy, who isn`t rich, nor he is the most handsome, but he has a very read more kind heart. And all manga-drama the girl can`t choose who she likes more. Like, seriously? Who would like a jerk who calls you "crap"? Sheesh...
There were many funny scenes but, in my opinion, they didin`t compensate for repeating scenes over and over again. Almost all episodes were similar: the jerk guy does something sweet for the girl, she thinks she may like him more, but then he ruins everything by calling her mean names, ect. Then the good guy appears, does something sweet, but then the rich guy appears again...
I struggled a lot to finish Flower Boy Ramyun Shop. In the last 7 episodes, I felt like it was my duty to finish the drama, not because I liked it, but because I`ve dropped a lot of dramas already...

The acting was as good as it can be with such unrealistic scenes. Male leads done especially good job in adding something more real to their cliché characters. However, I found myself disappointed in female heroine. Her acting wasn`t good.

The soundtrack was satisfying, I especially liked Jung Il Woo`s song A Person Like You.

Overall, although the story is really cliché, the acting was pretty good. I would recommend this drama to people, who want break from serious dramas.
jyy
6 of 9 people found this review helpful
Sep 23, 2012
A new Cinderella Tale
After reading the title you might wonder who played the role of Cinderella. Maybe, I should have written "from riches to rags and back".
Confused now? Don't worry, I felt the same way while I watched this drama.
I must admit that this drama's plot and twist and turns weren't always that convincing. Everything seemed to be a bit rushed, especially the ending.
Nevertheless, let me explain why read more I still think of this drama as one of my favourite ones:
First of all, the male leads were both charming and convincing in their roles .
The bromance between the male actors was really funny and cute.
And I don't think that there was any boring episode.
Ok, it might be the case that Jung Il Woo looked a bit too old for his role. After all, he played the role of a young student. But come on, without him the drama wouldn't deserve the name "Flower Boy".
And I think, if a young one played his role, the romance part would be messed up.
And not forgetting the pillar! (Lee Ki Woo)
The way he always said stuff like "Ah, this is so tiring" cracked me up.
The female lead did a great job as well. Her acting improved a lot over the years and she was really convincing in the role as the "tough, rough and ready" girl.
From my point of view, the real charm of this drama lies in the fact that it is a funny, light and warm-hearted drama.
Of course, it wouldn't be a Korean drama if there aren't tears of joy, sadness and anger. However, when it comes down to it, I just can repeat this: it is a funny, light and warm-hearted drama.
Don't expect a sophisticated plot. It is a simple one and that's nothing bad.
The romance part...well, I don't want to ruin the fun. Just let me say this: it is a cute romance and you should give it a try!
Soori
6 of 9 people found this review helpful
Feb 20, 2012
I actually started this drama because of the fuss around it. Mostly, in "Flower Boy Ramyun Shop" you will probably find the normal recipe of Kdramas. Rich boy falls in love with the poor girl. Just that this drama was somehow extra childish, but at the same time they did maintain the seriousness when was the case.

Acting was good, a little exaggerated here and there. Just that I,personally, didn't feel the read more spark/chemistry between the characters.

The OST, the same as the drama doesn't have any 'seriousness' to it. But I do enjoy listening it even after I finished the drama. The lyrics are rather 'joyful'and is a real pleasure to listen. At some point you will find yourself humming the songs, especially Yoon Sae Ha - "Loving Loving'.

Overall, 'Flower boy ramyun shop' is a good drama to watch if you don't have anything else to watch. Nothing really serious, just the normal, typical 'fluffy' drama.
Dylanrima
2 of 2 people found this review helpful
Apr 30, 2012
Drama was enjoyable but some kind of basic. But it really made me laugh sometimes.Cast was really nice(lots of funny and handsome guys:)But i dont really think that i will rewatch it(it's like a one shot story for me).Flower boy ramyun shop was the first project of tvN's Oh! Boy series. For a first project it's really good.But i think the second project (shut up flower boy band)is a way much better.I read more believe this drama is not a master piece-but it's very good.That's why it had the highest ratings^^
MAROUZINA
7 of 12 people found this review helpful
May 16, 2012
when i first knew that jang ill woo acted in this drama i only wanted to watch it because of him,after the first episode i realy liked his role and when i watched a few episodes i figured out that it was realy funny.
so i realy liked this drama because it's funny at times and sad at times and it was even better because jang ill woo acted in it.
b2uty
Feb 12, 2012
When I began watching this drama I was so close to ending it in the first episode. It seemed completely overacted and the story very typical but before I knew it i was sitting there with a box of kleenex crying my eyes out with these characters. This was a very good drama. And the actors are all extremely good looking so that helps a lot. The story wasn't the most original read more but I feel they really did amazing with what they had. I would definitely recommend this drama.
mangoman73
Feb 7, 2012
This drama was fun. Far more fun than I expected, and far more fun than the synopsis led me to believe. It was unbelievably crazy in a cute way, fast-paced and filled with twisty plots, but surprisingly not too overdone.

There were some parts in the plot that were over the top or unnecessary, but these were balanced out by the charming interaction of the side characters. Whilst I found the main read more pairing at times a little infuriating, though often adorable, the characters of the flower boys (in particular, Crazy Rooster and Pillar) were enough to keep everyone hooked. I even loved Crazy Rooster's love interest, as she was a great foil to the old fashioned female lead.

Overall, I expected eye-candy and I expected stupidity and I expected angst. While all three of these did occur, the eye-candy was worth it, the stupidity cute and the angst infrequent and meaningful. This is not the most original or poetic drama that you will ever watch, but the antics of the characters from episode to episode will leave you with a smile on your face.
Ecks
Dec 29, 2011
This is exactly the type of drama I like to watch. Fun, light hearted, with a dash of angst thrown in every once in a while. It has some excessive sillyness at times, but for a drama like this I found it really enjoyable.

You will really enjoy the main characters, and the chemistry between them is great **There are some good kissy scenes ^^**. It is 16 episodes so it isn't read more too long, but the characters still are able to evolve and grow and it didn't happen to quickly, so it didn't feel fake. Plus the acting is pretty good too! I found that it wasn't too predictable, although others may disagree. Of course there are the cliche scenes that have to happen in dramas like these, but i enjoyed the characters so much I didn't mind. There are a couple sad scenes as well as a couple serious parts, but I liked that they didn't keep on them too long and let you go back to the fun and sillyness that makes this show great.

Overall, if you aren't looking for a hard core angsty drama that will make you cry every episode and want to watch something that will make you laugh and fan girl *or boy* sigh at all the pretty people, then this is a great pick!
Flower Boy Ramen Shop

tvN
  • Duration:

45 min.

• Score:

7.5 (scored by 9,412 users)
  • Ranked: