Boys Over Flowers (2009)

Jo-hannah
Mar 26, 2014
Boys over flowers is like the "must see" in k drama world. This is probably the most famous k drama ever, and the first k drama for a lot of people, and that's why we -somehow- love this drama although it isn't actually a good one.

The story is just a big WTF! to me, really... and it doesn't always make sense. But incredibly it is still a catchy story lol, this read more is what BOF is, it somehow hooks you up, but deep inside of you, you know that what you're watching is not good at all.

The acting is just BLEH! although I love Lee Min Ho and now is one of my favorite actors, in BOF he wasn't as good as he is now... it wasn't a terrible acting but it wasn't a good one either... Same for Koo Hye Sun, she's good at dramatic scenes and crying and suffering but she lacks emotion in other scenes like kisses or funny moments and etc...

F4: oh boy! the eyecandy in this story has a 10/10 these four Asian boys doing whatever they want with your feelings and looking hot while they're destroying your heart haha it's just asdfghjk...

And probably what makes this drama a "must see" and a famous one is Yoon Ji Hoo (Kim Hyun Joong) BOF probably has the worst and saddest second lead syndrome ever! REALLY... even if you don't ship JanDi with JiHoo the drama still makes you feel terribly sad about JiHoo's life (a terrible and lonely one) omg! my heart still aches when I remember...

Despite of all that BOF is a very rewatchable story... if you want to cheer up, or cry like crazy or just remember or see hot Asian boys gathered in one drama, just go to BOF. :)
Ezmeralde
Mar 31, 2012
If I could some this drama up in one word it would be 'meh'. Boys before flowers isn't that special, it was kinda disapointing to be frank. Yes the actors were brilliant but the storyline lacked spark.

I'll start with the storyline, it was ok at the beginning and good through the middle but the end was an anti-climax and a half. The ammount of cliches in this show is annoying, I've read more seen it all before. I haven't seen any other adaptions of this show and since watching Boys Before Flowers I don't think I will. It was average at best.

However the actors in this show, particulary Lee Min Ho and Kim Hyun Joong were awesome. Each and every emotion was potrayed brilliantly and had this show a better storyline it would have easily got a ten. I liked the different styles of acting and personalities that each character brought, even the minor ones. Plus they're all nice eye candy.

The music in this show made it worth watching. I loved the soundtrack and plan to buy every song that I possibly can from it. A nice mix of classical and pop that fitted each mood. Very very good music in this show.

In the end I would reccomend watching it so long as your not one of those people who like to pick wholes in every detail. Its easy-going and makes for an enjoyable watch. But it's not life-changing or addictive. And you probably won't watch it again.
chiibea
Jul 16, 2012
I watched Meteor Garden when I was a kid and read the manga after watching all the live-actions so I guess I'm a die-hard fan of HYD.

Boys Over Flowers was a nice drama. It has its sparks here and there but it never really caught my heart. The story line was good, the cast was just amazing and the soundtrack just makes you flutter.

But Hana Yori Dango/Boys Over Flowers, in read more my sense, was a story about a kind and brave girl who fell in love and changed a guy who longed for love among everyone else. A girl who did all she could to protect her loved ones and fight for herself. A guy trying to show to the girl he loves that she was the only one for him, with the help of his friends. A not-so-cliche couple, trying to prove to the world how much they treasure each other and how they can overcome all the hardships reality threw to them.

BOF gave viewers great visual on how the F4's lives were. But I never saw the friendship between them. They were good-looking as hell but, the closeness was not there. Jan Di was, sure, poor, but I don't think she would gobble down food like that.

Jun Pyo and Jan Di had sparks, just wasn't enough. Their chemistry just never caught my heart, unlike Domyouji (Matsumoto Jun) and Makino (Inoue Mao). Never got their version of the necklace either. Domyouji gave Makino the necklace as to let her know that she is his soul-mate, based on horoscope. Why the moon never escaping the star?

I guess every adaptation has its own twists and patterns to make it different from the others. Just so happens that this one, indeed caught me eye, but not my heart.

( Tho I love the fact that they made a side story to Ga Eul and Yi Jung, even tho it was not in the manga xDD )

I don't regret watching this. It was a nice drama. Lots of eye-candy and idol-ish faces. Just that, compared to the other versions, BOF was probably the one I like the least. I recommend this to those who have watched HYD or Meteor Garden, since if you're a real fan of this story, you definitely have to see this.

:D
palak
Jan 14, 2014
This is undoubtedly the most popular Korean drama of all time and I really don't know how many are going to agree with me, but this one's a classic. Boys Over Flowers was my fourth Asian drama (after I'm sorry I love You, 1 litre of Tears and Secret Garden) and although I have watched lots of dramas afterwards I keep going back to watch BOF (at least)once a year. The plot read more is really cute. It's full of those chaebol cliches but Jun Pyo does it so well, I cannot help enjoying it like hell.

So I've always wondered what makes Jun Pyo click so much. I mean, there are tons of other arrogant chaebols in various dramas that are tamed by Plain Janes. But with Jun Pyo, it's like a whole new level of excitement. I have concluded that it's the childish sincerity. Jun Pyo is a bully but when he's sincere, he just moves you, you know. He has his childish and bully ways but his heart is at the right place. And yes, Lee Min Ho is freaking hot and works those curls charmingly ;)

Coming to other characters. Geum Jandi is disliked by a lot of people. You just have to turn-on the viki comments and (BAM!) you're showered with all the abusive words in the world, directed towards Geum Jandi. But I love her! Yes she's not the typical K-drama lead girl with her long hair and honey voice. She's a total tom boy who takes no bullshit from anyone, yet she's a sweet and simple girl and pretty likeable.

Coming to Jihoo. I know lots of people got their hearts broken Ji Hoo didn't get the girl (and maybe that made people hate Geum Jandi more when she refused his confession). I felt sorry for Ji Hoo too. He had the sweetest smile that could make anyone melt and I shipped him with Geum Jan Di faintly. I think I would've shipped him harder with her if Jun Pyo wasn't so awesome. But Ji Hoo's character was great.

The rest of the characters were great too. The acting is BIG 10 for me, especially because of the lead pair. I know majority of people prefer Lee Min Ho in City Hunter over this drama, but if you ask me, I love his acting more in Boys Over Flowers.

The music is sooo good. This was the drama that introduced me to the world of kpop through Shinee's song "Stand By Me". "Lucky", "Yearning of the Heart", "Paradise" and "Because I'm stupid" are really great songs too and overall this drama has a brilliant OST. Definitely on my top 10.

My rewatch value for this show is a solid 10 because I don't even remember the number of times I have rewtached it (lol). Love it. One of my favorites.
Turquoisesparkle
Oct 1, 2012
For those of you who have watched the other versions of this drama, which are "Hana Yori Dango" and "Meteor Garden" and enjoyed it, may want to watch this Korean version. Extras have been added to the story line which round everything up better like secondary characters back stories and more of a rivalry between the 'Rui and Domyoji' equivalent characters. Jan Di's character has been made more capable to cope with read more all the rotten situations thrown at her and more smarter than Tsukushi's character.

For those of you who haven't watched any of the previous versions of this drama, watching this will take you on a wonderful journey and a roller coaster of emotions, just make sure you have a pillow handy to hide yourself during the painfully embarrassing moments, and are sitting in a sound proof room so your shouting at the screen won't disturb and freak out the people you live with
allyson
Jan 10, 2013
I watched this drama for the first time just a little over a year ago. It was my second kdrama after Full House, and when I was watching it I just thought it was amazing! A year and 30 kdramas later, I have the experience to understand how flawed this drama is, even though it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Now that I have seen true chemistry between read more leads, I can understand that the chemistry between Jan Di and Jun Pyo was just nonexistent. I can still remember right after I finished I was searching the web for more information, and was irritated by how many people were trashing the actress who played Jan Di for doing a horrible job, and it's taken me a year to agree with them. Jan Di's character was harsh and grating 75% of the time. To the point where I look back and wonder exactly what Jun Pyo found so alluring about her.

My love for Lee Min Ho is as great as it was a year ago, but now I can see that his acting in BBF is not anything like his acting ability in any of his subsequent dramas. Jun Pyo was over the top and ridiculous. But to be honest, that's why he was so lovable.

Three of the four F4 members are given pretty solid storylines, though So Yi Jung's didn't really show up til they needed to give Jan Di's friend a love interest. There is one scene where all of a sudden the writer's decided to try and give the fourth member Song Woo Bin a bit of a storyline involving his complaints about his mafia family and how F4 was his only family now, and it was just awkward. I felt bad for him that they never made a real effort to incorporate him into the storyline more than just the muscle.

I still love BBF and it will always have a special spot in my heart and I still find myself going back to some of my favorite scenes. If you want something that has a pretty ridiculous storyline and tons of drama, drama, drama and ridiculously good looking boys then Boys Before Flowers is exactly what you need!
Rourou
Apr 4, 2012
The story is the one from Hana Yori Dango so it wasn't a new one, i actually went on comparing between the two versions and even the chinese and taiwanese versions. To tell the truth, this one contains the most outstanding cast i totally love F4 but i didn't like the lead actress, she was really annoying to watch.
This version was fair enough, it feels good to watch yet i still read more don't believe it's the best version out there.
iAcchan
Jan 15, 2012
Lets crush hearts, shall we?

Story 8/10 : Why? Because its a remake of HYD, any lower score and I would be hurting one my favorite drama's pride. There isnt much to it, rich boy falls in love with poor girl, quirky adventures along the way, yeah, things of that matter.

Acting/Cast 3/10 : UGH! From the very second the girl lead began to speak, I hated her. They portrayed her as read more some annoying girl and I honestly didn't like that. And F4? Fine, Korean BoF has a little bit better eye candy than HYD, but their acting is just flat out boring. The only part they did well was showing that they were spoiled rich boys.

Music 5/10 - meh.

Rewatch 3/10 - No... just no. If you want to spend over 25 hours watching this drama, I suggest that you do something productive as a replacement of this drama.

Overall 4/10 - Normally, I give Korean dramas multiple episodes to draw me in, but I couldn't just bear myself to listen to the main leads whiny voice and sit there staring at LMH for a full hour. The order of viewing SHOULD be J version then K version. I gave BoF a chance because of my love for HYD but I can't taint my memory of something so wonderful with BoF.
TheJ
Jan 28, 2012
I've watched this drama twice now.
Once by myself, and once with my mother to get her into K-Dramas (and to see if I liked it any better the 2nd time).
In all honesty, I don't see why people seem to love it so much. Personally, I think they love the good looking actors more than the actual drama.

Story - 7/10. Typical drama cliches all tossed into one drama. After watching read more "Hana Yori Dango" (which I watched after BoF), I have to wonder what happened. The story was so much better in HYD for me.

Acting/Cast - 8/10. Personally, I'm only giving it an 8 because of the eye candy actors. I wasn't really impressed with the acting at all.

Music - 6/10. There was honestly points where I'd have to mute it because they were replaying the same 2 songs over and over and over.

Rewatch Value - 5/10. As stated above, I think people rewatch it more for the actors than for the actual drama. If gorgeous people interest you more than an enjoyable story, then this is something you could rewatch ofte.

Overall - 6/10. Overall, the drama had some good points, and a lot of bad points. By the end, I was only watching for Kim Hyun Joong and all of the supporting characters.
rachel
May 15, 2013
My oh my, what to say about this drama?

When it was first released, man it was THE HOTTEST THING on TV. And it was positively addictive. I was a relative newbie to Korean dramas, so this drama meant the world to me and it was an obsession.

The main reason why one may be attracted to watch this at first is the fact that it rides on the goodwill from Meteor read more Garden and Hana Yori Dango. I'm not here to compare these adaptations though.

The show is full of scenes that seem hilarious and cheesy on hindsight, but on first watch I never seemed to notice them. I was probably blinded by my addiction. The story is also full of holes.

The only redeeming thing about the cast is the induction of Lee Min Ho into popular consciousness. He played his character well. Another consolation is getting to know Kim Bum the actor. Not his first project, but he became more well-known because of this show. Gu Hye Sun - what a disappointment. Kim So Eun did what she could with the material she had.

The soundtrack is positively in-your-face - you will never think of that silly Paradise song in the same way ever again. It appears in every darn scene possible, even those you never thought possible.

Having said all of that, why I put rewatch value at an 8: when I watch it now, it is so cringe-inducing and hilariously BAD. If you have seen it before and have seen top-quality dramas since (eg Gaksital, City Hunter, Best Love etc), I encourage you to watch it again, and enjoy the show, for TOTALLY DIFFERENT reasons from when you first watched it.
maymaymaymay
Jul 1, 2013
Before any of you die-hard BoF fans rage at me for the ratings, please not that this is my own *personal* opinion, ergo you don't have to read it if you don't like it. II'm not trying to be mean or rude, I'm just saying that everyone has an opinion and you have to accept that.
----
"Boys Over Flowers" might have been my first drama ever, but I can't really remember. read more I do remember that this was the first drama I watched I finished. At the time, I really had no idea what to expect, but seeing how much the friend who introduced it to me loved this drama, I figured it had to be pretty good. So I watched it and wondered how exactly a mess like this got such high ratings.
Story: Speaking from an objective standpoint, BoF is a hot mess. The fans must have been really forgiving to fall in love with characters who drove kids to suicide, and a story that had the main couple breaking up and getting together pretty much every other episode. I like romance and watching the OTP get through conflicts victorious, but I also like having another overlying story arc to keep me interested. In here, was there even something beyond Jan Di's and Jun Pyo's romance? I didn't even ship them.
Acting: Lee Min Ho, despite his mane of shame, is a good actor. I haven't really seen him anywhere else, but he's good here. Kim Bum is outstanding and his chemistry with Kim So Eun was pretty much the only reason I kept watching this. Kim Joon didn't really have that many scenes, but he was good and I'm fairly certain the only reason Kim Hyun Joong is here is because they needed another "flower boy" and were running short. He's really not that great of an actor, but pretty moves mountains. I'm not a hater, since I'm a huge fan of his music, but maybe he can brush up on his acting. Ko Hye Sun, frankly speaking, annoyed me to no end. Not just her character, but her in general. I don't think I'll ever watch a drama with her ever again. She's not a bad actor, but I don't feel like she's particularly good either. Plus, her chemistry with Lee Min Ho felt a bit forced.
Music: I'm still not sure if it was meant to be so funny. "Almost Paradise" killed me no matter what scene it showed up in. The director was really unwieldy in using the music wisely and spacing out the songs, so most of the other music grated on my nerves by episode 15.
Rewatch Value: Ha. No. Never. You would have to pay me to get me to sit through it. This drama may have been other people's favorite, but to me it was tedious and long. The plot spun in circles and the angst shot through the roof and there was still no plot beyond Jan Di and Jun Pyo.
Overall: This drama was so popular for a reason, I guess. Pretty is such a powerful force its nearly sentient. Another reason? If you were sincerely rooting for the main couple and honestly really liked them together, you would watch just for them and for the gratification that came with seeing them together. If you really did not care about the main couple, you would probably throw your computer out a window.
MatsuJuns
Oct 24, 2013
This was the first asian drama I ever wathced. After watching this I whatched the anime, japenese and taiwanese versions and read the manga of it. This is how I liked the storyline.

The reason I like the story in the first place it was different from basic cindrella story. Jan-Di was a strong character who was the only one who can stand against bully Jun-pyo.

Why I didn't like it read more different from the other story lines, as the story goes by Jun-pyo gets more and more perfect whereas Jan-Di gets weaker and weaker. She becomes a girl who is crushed constantly. You may ask what happened to the girl in the beginnig and who is this annoying character. Towards the end of the story it got harder for me to put up with Jan-Di. Moreover I liked Yoon Ji Hoo better than Jun-pyo who is perfect all along and did more for Jan-Di.

In my opinion this is a good drama except for the annoying Jan-Di and a better side male character (which you may want him to win the girl instead of the main male character -watch playful kiss for this to happen-) but the other versions are better

Acting/Cast:
I like the acting. I think its good.

Music is good too. You can listen Kim Hyun Joong (Because I'm stupid) throughout the drama.

Rewatch Value:
There is no rewatch value except for the one or two episodes. I don't know how many times I watched Hana Yori Dango which is Japenese version of this drama and I would watch it again instead of this one.
Boys Over Flowers

KBS2
  • Duration:

1 hr. 5 min.

• Score:

8.0 (scored by 30,549 users)
  • Ranked: