Saikou no Jinsei no Owarikata ~Ending Planner~ (2012)

Skye-N-Rain
23 of 23 people found this review helpful
Apr 3, 2012
When I first heard about this drama (before it started airing) I laughed at the plot and how very, very weird it sounded. However, since i've enjoyed some of Yamapi's past drama's I decided to check out the first episode...and then I got hooked!

Story 10/10: As odd as the plot sounded, this drama actually has a good amount of everything(except action...unless you count Yamapi running with music playing in the background read more as action.) The plot is fantastic, but I think the biggest obstacle to it's success was the fact that it deals with death(every single episode), and most people would rather not watch anything that has such a heavy subject in it. Personally, I didn't mind and rather enjoyed that unorthodox aspect of it.

Acting 10/10: Flawless and usual. Every single cast member was perfect. Yamapi, Eikura Nana, the actors who play the family members, and everyone else did an amazing job.

Music 7/10: I think I remember only one song or maybe they just had one song played over and over again. I can't remember. The one song was actually pretty good (Yamapi was the singer), but the lack of their being more memorable variety is what made me give it a 7/10.

Rewatch Value 6/10: I don't usually rewatch dramas but since the success of this drama doesn't really hinge on surprise, I would give this a 6 for rewatch (which is very high for me.)

Overall 10/10: I looked forward to new episodes of this drama every single week and that is rare for me. For people who haven't seen it yet, I would say at least watch the first episode and give it a chance. I'd even go as far as saying it's a masterpiece drama that deserves more fans.
amrita828
16 of 16 people found this review helpful
Mar 31, 2012
The thing I appreciate the most about Japanese shows in general, is that they can tell a good story without much of an eventful plot to build it upon. They play with narrative style and they excel in delicacy.

I'm not implying Saikou no Jinsei has got no plot, but it's not the kind one would run to watch and sit through with bathed breath. This is the story of a family, read more of their little and big trials. But most of all it tells of what it means to shoulder responsibility for the people we care for.
I may just as well confess that I started this because I wanted to stare at Yamapi. He's a pleasure for the eye in general, but there's a tangible improvement in his acting skill too. I grew very fond of him and all the main characters. I like it when details and hints are rationed slowly, because that's what happens in real life too: we are presented with a family picture, and bit by bit we are offered glimpses of who they are and where they are going.

The whole cast did a brilliant job, and I found myself with moisture in my eyes more than once. I was impressed by Yamashita's ability to convey his feelings here, and I was entertained by his relationship with both his family and Yuki-chan. It also amazes me that I managed to laugh a lot more often than what is expected by the general atmosphere.

I didn't like the music at all. Not only it isn't my cup of tea, I also thought it was very unfitting now and then. Luckily though, it does not overpower the dialogues or the scenes, and it can therefore be overlooked.

Rewatch value is not too high, but if you like family dramas and touching plots, you may give this one a try.
Momolovedog
10 of 12 people found this review helpful
Apr 23, 2012
A drama that you want to take time to watch and let it "marinate". The theme is about death, life, love..it's a bit much to digest. The ensemble did a really great job of telling the story. It tackled a lot of issues that anyone might face everyday. The drama had the right amount of drama, suspense and comedy. It was never draggy from the beginning to end. It's definitely a great drama to watch.
Doremeduck
7 of 9 people found this review helpful
Apr 8, 2012
Ending Planner is one of those dramas...you know, one of those dramas that you never want to end, and it leaves you all depressed because it ends? This sucks. The storyline seems a little strange. Who would ever look at watching a drama about a Mortician? But, the saying "don't judge a book by it's cover" really comes into play for Ending Planner. The story is amazing. Each and every episode, no read more matter how sad it may have been, left a smile on my face. I doubt it is possible to end this drama with it not having any effect on you. Ending Planner was just pure amazement. The actors did great. The family actually felt like a family, and whenever a certain character was feeling an emotion, you could really feel it. Every character had their moment to shine, and they really did. The one person who truly amazed me in this drama was Yamapi. I'm already a huge fan of Yamapi, but my fanitude has totally increased after watching Ending Planner. This has to be his best drama so far. He has grown so much in his acting ability, and it is evident in this drama. Yamapi sings the main song, so..ya! It's amazing. I love it and it will be added to my favorites playlist shortly. You would have to be crazy to not want to rewatch this drama, but I might have to wait awhile before I come back to it. Overall, "whoa" is all I can say. Ending Planner is worth watching.
MysteryMel
3 of 3 people found this review helpful
Jan 19, 2014
This Jdrama is about life, death, family and the connective thread which binds us all. All the actors were brilliant in their respective roles and the most impressive was the lead. Y is a handsome man who is easy to look even more so due to his solid portrayal of young man at lifes' cross-road running on emptiness. Each episode dealt with the tough issues of filling the voided space of the read more lost loved ones, loss & yearning for love/acceptance of self and others, underlined with tales of people trying to grapple with regret of death. Music? appropriately matched and not over the top or memorable (which is not a bad thing). Word of caution: A few tears could appear as each story unfolds and bids farewell to those who were loved. Would I watch again? Not a jdrama that requires rewatching YET maybe... If you are looking for a jdrama with solid acting, storyline and meaningfulness, check this out you will not be sorry!
Saikou no Jinsei no Owarikata ~Ending Planner~

TBS
  • Duration:

45 min.

• Score:

7.5 (scored by 852 users)
  • Ranked: