phoenixtearz9
15 of 17 people found this review helpful
Mar 2, 2012
Ok, to start off, I am a major fan of drama's like this. I could go on for days about how much I like them, but I won't. Try to make this short.

I recommend this drama highly if you are a fan of the genre. If your not, don't waste your time. This drama is a lot like the Japanese drama MR BRAIN, but its also very different in that it read more involves more police work. As I said, CSI met House, and had a baby, and this is it.

The story is a good one, or as I put, a very good one, some things were just to predictable, so it didn't get a higher score.

The actors, did an extraordinary job, they were very believable.

Music, I never even noticed if there was music, so very low score on that.

Rewatch, I probably won't rewatch, but may someday.

Overall, a very good drama, and an interesting thought process while watching it. Watch it!
SeRose
9 of 10 people found this review helpful
Jun 27, 2013
Oh dear. It’s another episodic crime scene investigation story – my least favorite genre ever. But I like to branch out and it turns out God's Quiz was a good place to do this.

The drama is basically carried by its lead man’s peculiar charms. Ryu Deok Hwan isn’t an actor I look at and necessarily think “hot!” but he is every bit as charismatic, and his Dr. Han is what initially read more attracted me to the drama and kept me going. He’s a smart aleck with zero people skills. You’d think this makes him perfect to work with dead bodies, but he’s not actually thrilled to put his surgeon skills to use doing autopsies, and only grudgingly accepting the post because of his sunbae. Why? “Because it smells so bad!”

Detective Kang is standard female detective fare – sharp and deductive, and she gives Dr Han a lot of crap for his faulty and abrasive manners. They’re totally awesome together. If only the drama wasn’t modeled so much on the standard investigation genre, I’d ship them whole-heartedly. However, watching their friendship (and maybe something more?) progress both at work and out of it is very touching. They make a good pair.

The other cast members make a good mix for the rest of the investigation team. Everyone’s got their personalities and their screen time, and the chemistry among them is pretty good. I particularly liked Park Jun Myun as the ‘matriarch’ of the group who starts off being super unimpressed by our little hot-shot newbie but warms up to him later.

What’s This ‘Quiz’ About?
It's primarily an investigation genre show, however I find that for all the dead and dying people the main plot deals with, there’s a lot more on the discussion table – especially about human life. Maybe because Dr. Han struggles with himself as much as with the victims he investigates, but when he’s not being eccentric, he’s deeply conscious about life and human perceptions of life and death.

"People aren't ignorant about rare diseases, but they are ignorant about humanity."

Conclusion:
As long as I was in the mood for this type of story, God’s Quiz really made my day. I probably spent a great deal of time thinking about it long after I finished watching.

The overall plot arc really brought it together too, and I love the contrast of personalities Ryu Deok Hwan put into his character as someone who often seems shallow, but underneath is really a deeply contemplative human being. Unfortunately, I just wish more could’ve been focused on these things and less on the episodic cases.

Read more + pics + episode reviews on my blog at:
Askalon
4 of 4 people found this review helpful
Nov 4, 2013
Given that God's Quiz is an OCN crime drama, it's inevitable for me to compare it to Vampire Prosecutor and TEN. It was a thoroughly enjoyable drama to watch, but there were a few places where I felt it was lacking. Still, it was plenty good enough to make me watch the second and third seasons.

STORY: 8/10

The plot follows a similar set up as VP and TEN: the mystery of read more the day taking up the bulk of each episode, and then a mystery of the season that develops little by little. The seasonal mystery I found quite compelling, so I have no complaints there.

The mini mysteries I found to be much more straightforward than both VP and TEN, which I found to be both a good and a bad thing. As much as I liked the other two dramas, they often left me utterly confused trying to figure out what was going on. God's Quiz I was able to understand without the headaches though, which was a nice change.

At the same time, I felt like I wasn't really drawn into each episode as much as I was with VP and TEN. There were fewer twists and turns to keep me glued to my screen, and the guy that you thought was the bad guy in the first 15 minutes often turned out to be just that. There were still a few twists (usually in the form of diagnosing a disease), but overall I felt the drama was a bit lacking in this area.

ACTING + CHARACTERS: 7/10

Han Jin Woo was wonderful in my opinion: an interesting character and well acted. VP and TEN both have your typical serious and totally badass main characters with tortured pasts. Han is their polar opposite. He's lighthearted, bumbling at times, childish, and tends to speak first and think second, but at the same time he's clearly a medical genius and rather adept at doing detective work as well. He still has his own dark secrets, which makes him all the more compelling as a character given how different he is on the outside.

Kang is the only other character that gets significant screen time, and I wish I could say as nice things about her character. I never really connected with her character, and I felt she was lacking in personality and depth. She seemed like some generic detective character: rather serious, a little cold, and that's about it. It seemed like she was just there out of necessity--there needed to be someone investigating the crimes, and there needed to be someone for Han to interact with. I wish they had developed her character more considering she played such an important role.

Despite its shortcomings, I highly recommend watching this drama. It has its strengths to make up for its weaknesses. It was definitely good enough to convince me to watch the next two seasons, which I'll be doing promptly.
s8592
4 of 4 people found this review helpful
May 15, 2013
This, deserve a 10/10 from me. I am a fan of medical forensic drama. And, I love OCN's dramas. So, this drama is basically a combination of both my favorites. I've watched a few dramas with this genre, either from Asian, or US. Vampire Prosecutor, Virus, Body of Proof, CSI:NY, Brain, Surgeon Bong Dal Hee. But this one is, simply amazing. This drama maybe has the highest score among all the drama read more I've reviewed.

Story: the story basically had no defined plot at early episodes. It just contains separated cases each episodes. But later a plot was built and unexpectedly made a twist (which was a pleasant surprise). The case about rare disease is REALLY interesting. The cases are not using a really "smart" or "tricky" strategy, but rather, it's interesting because the case was actually solved by solving the victim's or perpetrator's disease. And of course, I could take notes learning about rare disease (which, I really interested into). And to add the plus point, it contains a bit romance (and a sweet one :))

Acting/Cast: I must admit, dr. Han is really charming, in his own way. He's smart, but quirky at the same time (and different from other main characters from other medical drama I've watched). Ryu Deok Hwan is absolutely worth praising. The interaction between the team is also hilarious and warm, which I really enjoy. All the cast did a fantastic job building the character, so, 10/10.

Music: actually, there's not much music. I do believe, OST bombardment is not for medical drama, because atmosphere is not really the main point. But to be honest, this drama had better OST than other medical drama I've watched.

Rewatch Value: I'm not the type who would rewatch the dramas I've watched. But if I put myself on other's shoes, I definitely would want to rewatch this, someday in the future.

Overall: Even though it lacks in music, but it doesn't matter for me. This drama still scored 10/10. The acting is terrific, nothing to complaint. It blown me away after I watched the first episodes and got me addicted (to the extent that I neglected all my currently watching dramas beside this one). This drama successfully rises to the top 5 of my all-time favorite dramas, and I am now excited to watch the second season. Apparently this drama had similar format with other dramas, but with its uniqueness, I would highly recommend this drama for those whose fond of medical dramas (and those who doesn't mind bloody and autopsy scenes).
NewKDramaAddict
8 of 8 people found this review helpful
May 27, 2013
Close to perfect at times. The acting was perfect for this drama. I asked myself why I hadn't watched this before. The title throws you off because you have no idea what it really is about. Let's start with the stand-out actors. First of all, Ryu Deok Hwan as Han Jin Woo was unbelievably good! From the first episode to the end. His portrayal of Jin Woo was spot on perfect. Yoon read more Joo Hee as Kang Kyung Hee was great! At times, she drove you batty with her police decisions which made no sense to me (or maybe I watch TOO MANY police and crime dramas) but overall she did a good job. The rest of the cast was fun and acted well. Every episode was a learning experience. Keep wikipedia/google handy. You will be doing a lot of searching! Again, I cannot believe I am just watching this. Onto to season 2!
Rolie
3 of 3 people found this review helpful
Jun 4, 2014

This drama has a series of action, thriller, mystery, suspense, crime and even a hint of romance. God’s Quiz is a type of dramas that you need to watch all the episodes and part in order to understand the scenario. For every investigation they have, you need to be able to understand what they are referring and what they are talking about. After for each episode, they will come up with read more a solid conclusion in which you will find understand once the case is case. In regards with the plot and storyline, it is quite clever, yet complicated. This is because for every crime they investigate, the solutions are very clever while the procedures they have to undergo are very complicated. Also, the story shows the difficulty of criminology and how they tackle difficult situation, especially while working and risking their life.
In addition, the story is a complete package of suspense, drama and crime which is often a bad combination. However, these genre fits to the storyline of the drama and it was well executed. This suggests that with this combination, you are assuring that you want to continue watching it. Their curiosity for each case is astonishing. There is always a malevolent antagonist who is conducting series of crime which they need to identify who. Therefore, this is a drama that has a very good and solid plot and story. I can assure you that for each case they do, you would ask yourself “who did it?” “Why they did it?” and “what is the cause of it?”

Casting/Acting:

I am not very familiar with the cast for this drama; however, their acting skills are very good. In my point of view, they often improvised during some of the scene which makes them very professional with their field. I am very pleased on how they act on drama. I am looking forward on how they act for the next seasons. I hope they will not disappoint me like some drama that have next season that does not have a very good cast. Even though they are a lot of rookies in acting, they need to be confident on whatever their character is. For example, the main actor is effectively acting a childish, genius, comedic and mysterious doctor. What I see is that he carefully evaluated on how he is going to portray his character. Therefore, I would complement the director for choosing a very good casting list.

There is no much to say in the music. The reason behind this is because they mostly use suspense and thrilling sound effect to make the scene more dramatic and exciting. The viewers can actually feel the suspense and thrilling effect due to the effective use of the sound effect. Furthermore, the sound effects and music used in this drama fits to the genre itself. The music changes the mood of the scene from melodrama, to comedic, to suspense and to even romantic.

Conclusion:

For me, there is a high possibility to re-watch this drama. The reason for this is because of the suspense, action thrilling and hint of romance for each. With that malevolent, psychotic and cunning antagonist, you could miss a lot. I am looking forward on seeing him in the next season which I think he is. Either way, I conclude that this drama is a very astonishing due to its features. This involves plot twisting theories, unpredictable outcome, mind twisting problems and even fighting a vindictive phantom. Therefore, the chance to re-watch this drama is very high due to that fact that you will get curious as they go deep down with their investigations. Also, I am looking forward on watching the next season.
God's Quiz

OCN
  • Duration:

60 min.

• Score:

8.4 (scored by 816 users)
  • Ranked: