Rich Man, Poor Woman (2012)

RouteVenus
29 of 31 people found this review helpful
May 6, 2014
STORY 9.5/10
As many reviewers pointed out before me: the title of this show is really misleading. This is most definitely NOT a Cinderella story and the difference in social status plays no significant role in the story. The story itself is interesting and complex and all four main characters go through a real development during the series. It's really refreshing to see a story about an intelligent, career-driven woman who (usually) read more has no problem balancing her work and personal life. Also, she is a scientist (a lab worker of some kind) which is a field not often enough associated with women.
I only wish they would give more space to the character of Yoko. That's my only regret.

ACTING/CAST 10/10
Flawless, but I would expect nothing less from this cast. Oguri Shun is especially hilarious as socially awkward, short-tempered Hyuga Toru and he has great chemistry with adorable Ishihara Satomi who makes her character extremely relatable.

MUSIC 7.5/10
OST is nothing extra special, though several tracks are great. I usually don't like when one song is 'overused' in the show, but I didn't mind with 'Hikari E' . It's an amazing, catchy song that goes well with the mood of the show.

REWATCH VALUE 10/10
I've already rewatched all my favorite parts...oh so many times and I suspect I will rewatch the whole show in the future (also many times).

OVERALL 10/10

WHAT KIND OF FEELS THIS SHOW GAVE ME
This show made me literally giddy with joy. And I mean all the episodes, not just the ending. Despite the fact that some plot points were quite predictible, it never bore me. The Special was superb and it gave a great closure to the series (which is kinda rare in the world of dramas...). I admit I am not praying for the second season. Second seasons are usually worse than the first ones and I am afraid they would ruin this perfect show.
BetOnMe
32 of 35 people found this review helpful
Nov 10, 2012
This isn't a boring remake of a cinderella type story. The plot was very refreshing but some area of the characters became predictable. I thought the music was wonderful in the drama. I would buy the soundtrack if it were for sale. The male lead was great and so was the female. The actors had great chemistry and really made this drama one of my favorites. If you are thinking about watching read more this, don't just watch it. You won't be disappointed. The drama is a short refreshing watch.
Pantheria
31 of 36 people found this review helpful
Nov 12, 2012
Went in not expecting a whole lot but came out feeling refreshed & happy!

Totally enjoyed this one despite having reservations about the female lead. Both Oguri Shun & Ishihara Satomi did an amazing job in this Drama.

Rich Man Poor Woman was cute, funny, sweet & extremely endearing with a great score & OST. It's one of those Dramas that re-uses the same songs throughout & I know some may not read more like that but personally I feel it binds everything together thus helping maintain the mood. I think for me; that's what really made this Drama stick in my mind.

Plenty of problems. Typical Japanese style non-romantic kisses; random jumps in the story, not really anything earth-shatteringly new either as far as story goes & plot holes the size of mountains but somehow I just don't care one iota!

Definitely recommended if you're feeling a bit down, tired or sick.
Rourou
16 of 18 people found this review helpful
Nov 4, 2012
1) The reason I watched this :

It has been a long time since I’ve seen Oguri Shun so it felt right to watch his comeback drama.

2) Storyline/Plot:

*Generally speaking, the storyline wasn’t that unique except the creative side.

Positive points

*Everything related to invention, the company or smart minds was captivating because it created a special aspect around the normal romantic comedy storyline.

*It wasn’t dragging which made it exempt read more of slow moments.

*Main genres:

--->Romance: It belongs to the “Rich Man Poor Woman” cliche so I can’t possibly say that the romantic side was unique or special. However, that doesn’t mean it lost taste since it was interesting at some points plus it had good plot changes.
Romance was average (+) that’s why I decided to mention it in the “Positive Points” column.

Negative Points:

--->Humor: Honestly speaking, the comedy didn’t deliver much to talk about; it was lacking for a rom-com J-drama. Funny scenes were almost absent but there were some ridiculous scenes that can make it feel childish sometimes.

The story: 7/10.

3) Acting/Cast:

*So like I said earlier Oguri Shun was the main reason that made me watch this drama. I got to see a different side of him in here; his role was portrayed in a good way.
Ishihara Satomi was good too, there were good vibes coming out of her acting.
The remaining cast had respectable acting skills so no complains.

*As for characters, Hyuga Toru was an attractive character whether it was strong or weak you would feel invested in everything he does. The character strength made it appealing in many ways.
Natsui was your average romantic comedy heroine, there were nothing special about the character overall since it was plainly predictable.
*The remaining characters had interesting scenes every once in a while but they weren’t very captivating.

*Appreciated character: Asahina made this drama interesting; if he was the usual second lead male this would’ve been very boring. Asahina created amazing plot changes that would make you adjust your feelings about him several times that’s why he’s appreciated in my point of view.

*Relationships:

--->Romance: There was good chemistry between the main characters but there was an interesting chemistry between the lead male and the second lead female too.

--->Friendship: It was set up in an amazing way. It’s not the usual J-dramas friendship since it had many twists and changes.

--->The triangle: It was a usual triangle but it was less serious than others.

Cast: 8/10.
Acting: 8.5/10.

4) The ending:

It’s true that it was a common cliché but no one would’ve appreciate it if it ended otherwise.

The ending: 6.5/10.

5) My impression (How did it affect me):

*I had shallow feelings while watching this drama; after all I started it because of Oguri Shun but it doesn’t mean that I only appreciated Oguri here.
*I can’t possibly say that I loved this drama; it was plainly average in my point of view. It’s true that I had a little fun but I wasn’t touched that deeply because I always thought of it as a normal romantic comedy; it can’t possibly be a mature one like some other masterpieces produced in Japan.

*Is this drama memorable: I don’t think so, I may remember some moments of it but I don’t believe it deserve a spot in my “unforgettable dramas” list.

Note: I really liked the opening theme song mainly because its lyrics are so encouraging and adapts the drama perfectly.

My impression: 5/10.

6) Overall:

*If you like Oguri Shun then watch this because you’ll get to see a different side of him in here.
*If you like Japanese romantic comedies then give this a try.

*Rich Man Poor Woman was a respectable drama with a decent storyline along with good actors which made it watchable and somehow enjoyable.

Overall’s rating 7.5/10.
Jdmcrazy
10 of 11 people found this review helpful
May 28, 2013
Story
At first I didn't want to watch this drama because I thought it would be too boring or cliche but I am so glad I did. This drama's story line is interesting and unique totally underrated by its title. The characters and relationships are interesting to watch develop. The romance in this drama is not what you would usually expect but somehow you still find yourself fangirling at the cuteness. I read more was surprised and completely fell in love with the story. Of course it isn't perfect and at times you can feel quite lost or like me in the beginning wasn't quite sure of it but the story is great.

Acting/Cast
Of course a drama wouldn't be complete with great acting to carry the story and I thing the cast did a great job. Oguri Shun and Ishihara Satomi are two actors which I have seen before and so I was expecting them to be great which I think they were. Oguri Shun I thought fitted his quite different character very well and I don't think anyone could have played it quite like him. Together I thought their chemistry was excellent and they had something which I just can't explain.

Music
I gave a music a 10 because I LOVED their OST's and introduced me to one of my favourite Japanese female artists- miwa. I constantly listen to the songs in Rich Man Poor Woman and unlike many dramas the music used really stuck to you and imprinted onto the drama. As well as the miwa songs, the rest of the music was really well used and distinct tot the theme of the drama.

Basically I love Rich Man Poor Woman and do recommend it
heimei
10 of 13 people found this review helpful
Sep 21, 2012
As the title says, it'll give you an impression that it'll gonna be your typical love story about a rich man and poor woman (or vice versa) that fall in love each other fighting for each others love from other people who opposes their relationship, blah blah..
Well.. IT"S NOT!! It's very different! It's not only a love story but a story of friendship and betrayal, inspiration and confusion, success and failure. read more The story hooks you up and keep you looking forward on what will happen next.

I love the cast!! Their acting is really great! They really portrayed their roles very well makes you think that they are not acting at all.. haha!! :D

And the theme song, it's very fitting for the drama and has nice lyrics.

It's been a long time since I felt this kind of satisfaction after watching a series. It's a must watch indeed!!^-^
Starae
Nov 2, 2013
The title of this really made me not want to watch it at all, but I figured I would give it a shot since so many people gave it good ratings.

Do I regret it? Not really. Could I have survived without watching it? Yea, probably.

Nothing really stood out to me in this show and even though it wasn't your typical "rich man meets poor helpless girl" story, it just didn't read more really pull me in like others have. I felt that there was an unnecessary relationship in the beginning of the show that could have been left out and it really bothered me. It really had no place in the overall story.

The romance took too long to progress in my opinion, and when it did, it was very typical. If you've watched a lot of romance dramas you would know, and it really does get old when they all end in similar ways, using the same methods.

Overall, it was cute, the lead female is great actress, and the music wasn't bad either, but this just isn't one of those rare gems for me. You can read through the reviews and decide for yourself whether to watch it or not, but if you skip it, you won't really be missing out too much.
Flyxtoxheaven
Sep 20, 2012
I'm not being nice about my ranking, I literally think this is the best drama I've ever watched, Kdrama OR Jdrama.

The story plot isn't predictable but nor is it unbelievable. It's REAL. I think that's what I like the most. The development of the characters and story captivates you and the actors and actresses portrayed those characters amazingly.

I wasn't tempted to watch this drama by the description or the title, read more I was just bored but I'm so glad I did! I joined when it was on the 9th episode and literally had to stop myself screaming in frustration while waiting for the next episode. It has an addictive and completely lovable quality. I wanted to rewatch it before it was even finished and it would be one of the dramas I would pay money to buy on DVD and watch again and again.

The music was perfect. Literally perfect. It fit the story completely. The main song Hikaru e by Miwa [Theme song] is full of hope and encouragement and I literally have had it stuck in my head for weeks while reminiscing on the last episode.

For someone who doesn't ever speak while watching a drama [crying is a different matter] I found myself ragging when bad things happened, squealing in joy at the cute little moments that the main characters shared and sprouting swear words when things didn't go the way I wanted [For example; some of the interactions with the romance].

My official number 1 must watch drama of all time. Don't questions 'should I watch it?' Just. Watch. It. Trust me
Rule
Sep 17, 2012
This is the second J drama Ive seen as Im basically a K drama fan and I was sort of inbetween dramas.
This is certainly a watchable and cute drama. The story is nice and the acting is good, especially the main guy.
Its a romantic comedy about an eccentric man and a simple hardworking girl, although its not something to go all ga ga for, its quite watchable enjoyable and addicting. read more The ending is cute and the fact that it has 11 episodes is welcome as some korean dramas tend to drag on and get boring in the end.
dramawater
May 8, 2014
It's the first Japanese drama that I've watched without taking a break from it, it's really fun and enjoyable. The actors that played the leads are really good and they have chemistry.

The premise is simple, something that has been done several times over, but what made this enjoyable for me is that it didn't try too hard to be too serious or too comedic, I think it's well directed and produced, read more there's character development not only for the main leads but by the other supporting casts too. There are many memorable characters. Conflicts are ended in a satisfactory manner and didn't make me too frustrated with the plot or characters.
Ahsen
Oct 19, 2013
I finally finished watching this drama. Even the story is not so different I really like it. I guess part of the reason is the harmony between the couples. As everybody says it is not a classic rich man & poor womant story. There is more than that in this drama.
And Rich Man, Poor Woman is the first Japanese drama I have ever watched, thanks to it I will watch Japanese read more dramas from now on.
I highly recommend it to you to watch..
mayumi_sakurai
Mar 30, 2013
- Story :
It's a cute and refreshing drama about Hyuga Toru, a CEO of an IT firm who is published on Forbes as a billionaire. He attained his fortune through chance and pure luck, and Chihiro a hardworking college student at Tokyo University who meets Toru and eventually becomes attracted to him.
This drama is the best "subordinate x boss" drama that i have ever watched.
There is nothing special to read more the story though but still you feel attracted to it.
- Acting/Cast : Makoto and Toru are such a wonderful couple. I cannot get enough of them together. They have a good chemistry!
Oguri Shun and Ishihara Satomi both did a great job.
- Music :
I loved the themesong , even after finishing the drama i kept listening to it from time to another.
P.S : I highly recommend this drama to rom-com drama fans!!
Rich Man, Poor Woman

Fuji TV
  • Duration:

46 min.

• Score:

8.3 (scored by 7,546 users)
  • Ranked: