Rich Man, Poor Woman (2012)

Rule
7 of 9 people found this review helpful
Sep 17, 2012
This is the second J drama Ive seen as Im basically a K drama fan and I was sort of inbetween dramas.
This is certainly a watchable and cute drama. The story is nice and the acting is good, especially the main guy.
Its a romantic comedy about an eccentric man and a simple hardworking girl, although its not something to go all ga ga for, its quite watchable enjoyable and addicting. read more The ending is cute and the fact that it has 11 episodes is welcome as some korean dramas tend to drag on and get boring in the end.
cherryharuhi33
3 of 3 people found this review helpful
Feb 18, 2013
Okay, I finally got around to finishing this drama, and I watched it all in a day.

Although the title is not convincing, the actual drama itself and actors/actresses are amazing. There are so many plots in the story - romance problems, best friend problems, family/abandonment problems, work issues lalala.

It was a very cute romance drama, as most are. Compared to most romance dramas, though, it wasn't like... full-blown romance. There read more weren't cute scenes between the leads all the time, and I think that this balances with the other things happening in the drama. For most frequent romance drama watchers, we can predict how the end will turn out, but even so, the details of the other plots in the drama kept me interested. There was good camerawork, acting, and pretty music at pretty scenes.

Also, if you're an Oguri Shun fan, then WATCH WATCH WATCH. :]

Yea, hope this helps...
Aspyre
3 of 3 people found this review helpful
Oct 26, 2012
Don't let the title kill your urge to watch this. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, honest.

From what I gathered, this piece teaches folks of different values: friendship, attachment and above all, will to be a hard worker not only for yourself, but for the benefit of the world you live in. This is my first drama with Oguri Shun in it, and I thought he acted read more well. Other characters haven't made much of an impression, be it a few times when they felt too plastic, or just the lack of what had to be said. This, this damn show will make you frustrated, giddy and partially obsessed. Probably because you'll be skidding through the episodes like a madman, wanting to know will it be or will it not. Now then, I think that sentence alone says more than a lengthy review should do...so, enjoy.
7burgerhands
5 of 6 people found this review helpful
Mar 20, 2013
This drama breaks the Japanese trend for detective dramas and other heavy plot dramas, since romance themed jdoramas only come once in a while. The cast are perfect to their roles, Oguri Shun as the indifferent computer genius and Ishihara Satomi as the typical nerdy clumsy girl. Aibu Saki is a bit underrated for her role, but still displayed great acting. The two leads have brilliant chemistry, and though the rich man, read more poor woman theme is almost a cliché, this drama had a breakthrough by making the characters grow by not standing by the extremes, meaning the guy doesn’t need to be the richest in the planet, and the damsel in distress need not be the poorest girl alive. It is a breather for the usual issue of social status, and it focused on the change they have to go through because of love. The subtle comedies, exceptional characters and a heart fluttering kiss scene make this drama not something you dare to miss.
Palindrome
10 of 15 people found this review helpful
Sep 27, 2012
I actually fell in love with this drama. The story line is amazing. You will definitely not be left disappointed! No, this isn't a childish romance between your average snooty guy and your average docile female character. There is something more-more mature perhaps. Now i will admit that when there's politics in the film i will be the first to start skipping, but, in Rich Man Poor Woman i couldn't. It is read more so beautiful and well made that you would be missing out if if you didn't watch it! Also a little hint to the ladies if you don't know by now; Oguri Shun (mighty fine) acts as the main male character. Hint hint nudge nudge.In fact the only real disappointment i had while watching this drama was that it ONLY had 11 episodes. So what are you doing people? Go. Be free. Watch this. You won't be disappointed!
IT"S AMAZING!!!!!!!
nancydrew
8 of 12 people found this review helpful
Sep 27, 2012
Why are you reading this review when you can be watching this drama already? Seriously! Go! Watch it! You'll be so glad you did!

This was probably my favorite drama I've watched so far. After a dry spell of mediocre crap, I finally found something that I didn't regret sacrificing sleep for, or watching twice, (with and without subtitles despite the fact that I had no idea what anyone was saying).

Do read more not be deceived by the title, this is not a typical rom-com where some rich bratty punk gets the girl after what seems like decades of back and forth bickering and useless banter. NO! It is far more than that.

It is inspiring, thought provoking, and insightful. Its about how being in a relationship means more than just being a shoulder to lean on, or an attractive sex bag, no! Its about being a better you when you're with someone, and that doesn't necessarily mean just a significant other, it can be a close friend or a colleague. And more than just that, its about dealing with basic human emotions, jealousy, rage, heartache...confusion etc. Its just so beautifully done.

The acting was excellent! There was plenty of comedy, awkward face-palm moments, gut wrenching moments, moments where you felt like reaching into your screen and strangling that bastard that ruined everything!

....you get the picture. It was awesome! NOW GO WATCH IT!
jyy
11 of 18 people found this review helpful
Sep 23, 2012
First of let me say this:
Actually I prefer to watch Japanese Dramas after all Episodes are aired and subbed. After all, there is only one ep. per week whereas the Korean Dramas offer one two eps per week.
But this time, it was different because of the main actor.
Oguri Shun as Hyuga Toru both impressed and surprised me.
His character in this drama was totally different from the ones he read more used to play. And from my point of view he managed to play his role well:
He was cool, charming and confident and at the same insecure because of certain issues.
Apart from that, he was able to show the new self of Hyuga Toru later.
In addition to this, the great chemistry between the main couple was another reason why I couldn't wait till all eps were aired.
However, I was a little bit disappointed when this drama ended as I expected a more exciting romance after reading the synopsis.
Plot: Ok. No pending questions.

All in all, I would watch this drama again and again. It was really worth my time.
Patchy
4 of 5 people found this review helpful
Feb 8, 2013
This is one of the best jdramas I've seen so far.Loved every moment of it and especially the story and the acting. I was a bit disappointed with the slow pace of the relationship between the two main characters, but overall all it was quite enjoyable watching the two of them together.
This drama had a more mature feel to it, unlike other jdramas, this one doesn't deliver overreacted scenes, but more read more of normal reactions in certain circumstances which makes the characters easy to relate to.
The two main leads deliver strong performances and have a great chemistry.
I'm going to rewatch this drama for sure and enjoy every moment of it cause there are lots of scenes in there worth watching and maybe even knowledge.
addicted2dramas
4 of 5 people found this review helpful
Dec 24, 2012
I started watching Rich Man, Poor Woman expecting a love story between a rich man and a poor girl who falls for him. What I got instead was a whole lot dealing with the corporate world. I was kept entertained and at the same time a bit let down and bored. The entertaining parts were the corporate stuff and the boring one was the romance.

I kept waiting for something great to read more take place between the main leads and it never did. Sure, there were some moments here and there but after a few episodes you realize that the plot doesn't necessarily need romance. The story does fine without using romance as a driving factor. What we get is the stuff you can expect taking place in an office in a very Social Network kind of a way. Still, the story wins points because it was shown very well.

As for the cast, I liked everyone in their roles. Satomi playing the cute Natsui won me over initially but her character was stagnant till the end. I didn't like the way she was written. While I didn't ever like Oguri Shun before I thought he did a good job here. The supporting cast was also fine.

While the workings and challenges about the company kept me interested in the beginning, after halfway through I got bored. If I had known before that this was was primarily about the corporate world, I would have skipped it. Anyhow, I made my way towards to the ending episode.

This drama serves fine as a one time watch. I will doze off if I ever saw it again because it's not my thing. It was actually good and interesting if you think you can enjoy this genre. Don't let my personal views keep you from watching this drama. I hope everyone else enjoys it.
EvesSecret
5 of 7 people found this review helpful
Oct 7, 2012
Usually i don't finish watching dramas because I get annoyed easily and start looking for something else to watch. I admit I am trying to catch up on so much- that I left this one be. Every time I go back watching it sucks me in.

I am NOT a fan of Japanese Dramas simply because I don't get them! But this one - you must give it a chance. It did read more have a slow start and at some point I According so some of the reviews...

Yes the plot is not as original- the whole rich man vs poor woman (the title says it all)BUT this is my favorite theme of dramas. In my opinion that is the whole point a drama- to forget about what is happening in our world. And simply relax and enjoy the ride of emotions.

In the beginning I thought "oh boy this is going to be annoying" because of the main actress'es voice. It becomes so high pitched that it made me want to run away. After a while I did not care.

What I did care about was how is it going to end? We as viewers can predict oh they will be together, but how that's why stay and find out for yourself.
goldenseal50
5 of 7 people found this review helpful
Sep 17, 2012
well I was only going to give this show a 9 but 4 out of 4 were 10 so there you go...I usually never give music a 10 but I really loved the songs for this cute romatic comedy.

If we vote for best couple this year this pair has my vote hands down!
They are so funny and cute together :)

what else can I say...um I (lol) watched the last read more 3 episodes without subtitles that is how addictive it is :D
forever_shawol
7 of 11 people found this review helpful
Sep 21, 2012
AMAZING!!!!! I loved every single bit of it ...from the plot to the music ...Man the music was so catchy ...The song was stuck in my head for weeks and I memorised all the words to it ... The main girl was so cute and perfect for this role... I think I loved everything about this drama. Like usual Oguri Shun is so awesome! Every drama he's in I garantee it's a read more gotta watch! If you haven't watched it ...You have no idea what you're missing!

It's such a hooker from the beginning to the end!
Rich Man, Poor Woman

Fuji TV
  • Duration:

46 min.

• Score:

8.3 (scored by 5,485 users)
  • Ranked: