Rich Man, Poor Woman (2012)

Jdmcrazy
6 of 6 people found this review helpful
May 28, 2013
Story
At first I didn't want to watch this drama because I thought it would be too boring or cliche but I am so glad I did. This drama's story line is interesting and unique totally underrated by its title. The characters and relationships are interesting to watch develop. The romance in this drama is not what you would usually expect but somehow you still find yourself fangirling at the cuteness. I read more was surprised and completely fell in love with the story. Of course it isn't perfect and at times you can feel quite lost or like me in the beginning wasn't quite sure of it but the story is great.

Acting/Cast
Of course a drama wouldn't be complete with great acting to carry the story and I thing the cast did a great job. Oguri Shun and Ishihara Satomi are two actors which I have seen before and so I was expecting them to be great which I think they were. Oguri Shun I thought fitted his quite different character very well and I don't think anyone could have played it quite like him. Together I thought their chemistry was excellent and they had something which I just can't explain.

Music
I gave a music a 10 because I LOVED their OST's and introduced me to one of my favourite Japanese female artists- miwa. I constantly listen to the songs in Rich Man Poor Woman and unlike many dramas the music used really stuck to you and imprinted onto the drama. As well as the miwa songs, the rest of the music was really well used and distinct tot the theme of the drama.

Basically I love Rich Man Poor Woman and do recommend it
PrettyCarEye
13 of 16 people found this review helpful
Dec 10, 2012
For me Rich Man, Poor Woman, before the 6th or 7th episode, threaded a very thin line between ‘drop or keep’. The drama was so slow to build it almost lost me, the hero was not human (as the Koreans like to say) and the heroine, though cute and well-meaning, got on my nerves with her over-the-top deferential behaviour toward a guy who was an obnoxious brute for most of the show. read more Yeah, I get that he's the big man on campus, and everyone's expected to kiss his (very fine) behind, but still ... I wanted to punch him every time he went off the rails at his innocent employees.

With corporate espionage, insider trading and other back stabbings, the story picked up tremendously in the second act. By episode 8 I was finally invested. Valuable life lessons were learnt (by both us and our leads). Our prodigious but arrogant hero grew as a person and as a businessman, and it was hard not to like him then. You come to realize that under that gruff exterior he wasn't such a bastard after all.

The acting was convincing, perhaps a tad overdone by our heroine, but she had some mad on-screen chemistry with the hero. They reminded you of an old married couple who loves to bicker and swear at each other, but feels lost when their beloved isn't around. Very cute. And although a bit juvenile and silly at times the actress did a good job of portraying the adorable klutz next to the hero's gruff, cantankerous persona. She may also come across as somewhat of a pushover, but it was, for the most part, a very effective front she used to manage Hyuga. After all, you catch more bees with honey than vinegar, don't you? I wished more time was dedicated to developing their love story, but unfortunately this was sidelined to accommodate other characters and purposes of the plot.

I felt the role of the second female lead, Yoko, was redundant. A perfectly decent character she was, but she served no true purpose whatsoever. I’m pretty convinced the drama could have gone on just as easily, and more effectively, without her. Why are Asians so obsessed with these blasted love triangles I don't know. It gets really old really fast and has no real dramatic effect if all second leads do is confirm the attractiveness of our lead male/female. Give them a more substantial purpose or leave them out entirely.

I did not care for Asahina. I wanted the resolution of his story arc to be completely different. Without giving anything away, here's why: I understood his feelings very well & even sympathized with him to a point, but his actions toward someone who was essentially like a brother to him were despicable, vicious and totally unforgivable. Therefore, to my way of thinking you don't give people like that a second chance to wedge the knife deeper into your back.

Anyway, if you’re into technology and the machinations of the business world (with a smattering of romance), you’ll likely enjoy this series. This was like The Social Network adapted for the small screen. I wanted more from it, but in the end what we got was okay, I guess.
dramawater
May 8, 2014
It's the first Japanese drama that I've watched without taking a break from it, it's really fun and enjoyable. The actors that played the leads are really good and they have chemistry.

The premise is simple, something that has been done several times over, but what made this enjoyable for me is that it didn't try too hard to be too serious or too comedic, I think it's well directed and produced, read more there's character development not only for the main leads but by the other supporting casts too. There are many memorable characters. Conflicts are ended in a satisfactory manner and didn't make me too frustrated with the plot or characters.
Ahsen
Oct 19, 2013
I finally finished watching this drama. Even the story is not so different I really like it. I guess part of the reason is the harmony between the couples. As everybody says it is not a classic rich man & poor womant story. There is more than that in this drama.
And Rich Man, Poor Woman is the first Japanese drama I have ever watched, thanks to it I will watch Japanese read more dramas from now on.
I highly recommend it to you to watch..
mayumi_sakurai
Mar 30, 2013
- Story :
It's a cute and refreshing drama about Hyuga Toru, a CEO of an IT firm who is published on Forbes as a billionaire. He attained his fortune through chance and pure luck, and Chihiro a hardworking college student at Tokyo University who meets Toru and eventually becomes attracted to him.
This drama is the best "subordinate x boss" drama that i have ever watched.
There is nothing special to read more the story though but still you feel attracted to it.
- Acting/Cast : Makoto and Toru are such a wonderful couple. I cannot get enough of them together. They have a good chemistry!
Oguri Shun and Ishihara Satomi both did a great job.
- Music :
I loved the themesong , even after finishing the drama i kept listening to it from time to another.
P.S : I highly recommend this drama to rom-com drama fans!!
PKtheBESTGUM
Mar 30, 2013
I really enjoyed this whole drama, from the cast, music soundtrack and over all plot. The Characters were easy to love (it also helped that Oguri Shun was the Protagonist excellent choice on that end :)). By the final episode it was hard to leave the RMPW world. So excited for the release of the Special in a few days! RMPWLOVE
Flyxtoxheaven
7 of 8 people found this review helpful
Sep 20, 2012
I'm not being nice about my ranking, I literally think this is the best drama I've ever watched, Kdrama OR Jdrama.

The story plot isn't predictable but nor is it unbelievable. It's REAL. I think that's what I like the most. The development of the characters and story captivates you and the actors and actresses portrayed those characters amazingly.

I wasn't tempted to watch this drama by the description or the title, read more I was just bored but I'm so glad I did! I joined when it was on the 9th episode and literally had to stop myself screaming in frustration while waiting for the next episode. It has an addictive and completely lovable quality. I wanted to rewatch it before it was even finished and it would be one of the dramas I would pay money to buy on DVD and watch again and again.

The music was perfect. Literally perfect. It fit the story completely. The main song Hikaru e by Miwa [Theme song] is full of hope and encouragement and I literally have had it stuck in my head for weeks while reminiscing on the last episode.

For someone who doesn't ever speak while watching a drama [crying is a different matter] I found myself ragging when bad things happened, squealing in joy at the cute little moments that the main characters shared and sprouting swear words when things didn't go the way I wanted [For example; some of the interactions with the romance].

My official number 1 must watch drama of all time. Don't questions 'should I watch it?' Just. Watch. It. Trust me
heimei
9 of 11 people found this review helpful
Sep 21, 2012
As the title says, it'll give you an impression that it'll gonna be your typical love story about a rich man and poor woman (or vice versa) that fall in love each other fighting for each others love from other people who opposes their relationship, blah blah..
Well.. IT"S NOT!! It's very different! It's not only a love story but a story of friendship and betrayal, inspiration and confusion, success and failure. read more The story hooks you up and keep you looking forward on what will happen next.

I love the cast!! Their acting is really great! They really portrayed their roles very well makes you think that they are not acting at all.. haha!! :D

And the theme song, it's very fitting for the drama and has nice lyrics.

It's been a long time since I felt this kind of satisfaction after watching a series. It's a must watch indeed!!^-^
Starae
4 of 4 people found this review helpful
Nov 2, 2013
The title of this really made me not want to watch it at all, but I figured I would give it a shot since so many people gave it good ratings.

Do I regret it? Not really. Could I have survived without watching it? Yea, probably.

Nothing really stood out to me in this show and even though it wasn't your typical "rich man meets poor helpless girl" story, it just didn't read more really pull me in like others have. I felt that there was an unnecessary relationship in the beginning of the show that could have been left out and it really bothered me. It really had no place in the overall story.

The romance took too long to progress in my opinion, and when it did, it was very typical. If you've watched a lot of romance dramas you would know, and it really does get old when they all end in similar ways, using the same methods.

Overall, it was cute, the lead female is great actress, and the music wasn't bad either, but this just isn't one of those rare gems for me. You can read through the reviews and decide for yourself whether to watch it or not, but if you skip it, you won't really be missing out too much.
Rule
7 of 9 people found this review helpful
Sep 17, 2012
This is the second J drama Ive seen as Im basically a K drama fan and I was sort of inbetween dramas.
This is certainly a watchable and cute drama. The story is nice and the acting is good, especially the main guy.
Its a romantic comedy about an eccentric man and a simple hardworking girl, although its not something to go all ga ga for, its quite watchable enjoyable and addicting. read more The ending is cute and the fact that it has 11 episodes is welcome as some korean dramas tend to drag on and get boring in the end.
cherryharuhi33
3 of 3 people found this review helpful
Feb 18, 2013
Okay, I finally got around to finishing this drama, and I watched it all in a day.

Although the title is not convincing, the actual drama itself and actors/actresses are amazing. There are so many plots in the story - romance problems, best friend problems, family/abandonment problems, work issues lalala.

It was a very cute romance drama, as most are. Compared to most romance dramas, though, it wasn't like... full-blown romance. There read more weren't cute scenes between the leads all the time, and I think that this balances with the other things happening in the drama. For most frequent romance drama watchers, we can predict how the end will turn out, but even so, the details of the other plots in the drama kept me interested. There was good camerawork, acting, and pretty music at pretty scenes.

Also, if you're an Oguri Shun fan, then WATCH WATCH WATCH. :]

Yea, hope this helps...
Aspyre
3 of 3 people found this review helpful
Oct 26, 2012
Don't let the title kill your urge to watch this. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, honest.

From what I gathered, this piece teaches folks of different values: friendship, attachment and above all, will to be a hard worker not only for yourself, but for the benefit of the world you live in. This is my first drama with Oguri Shun in it, and I thought he acted read more well. Other characters haven't made much of an impression, be it a few times when they felt too plastic, or just the lack of what had to be said. This, this damn show will make you frustrated, giddy and partially obsessed. Probably because you'll be skidding through the episodes like a madman, wanting to know will it be or will it not. Now then, I think that sentence alone says more than a lengthy review should do...so, enjoy.
Rich Man, Poor Woman

Fuji TV
  • Duration:

46 min.

• Score:

8.3 (scored by 5,106 users)
  • Ranked: