Shining Inheritance (2009)

midnight101
30 of 33 people found this review helpful
Apr 10, 2011
This is one of my favourite dramas ever and believe me when I say I have seen quite a few..it was also my first, so slightly biased. In all fairness it is a slow start, but once you get into the thick of things it is one of those compeling, addictive dramas.I lost alot of sleep over this one..just couldn't stop watching. It is funny , dramatic(duh), has a bit of suspense read more and romatic. Not just romantic for romance sake, but that sweet organic, naturally occuring, out of nowhere, this is amazing kind of romance, with some heartwarming swoon worthy moments.

The characters, at first may seem a bit tiresome, but they have this uncanny knack of growing on you, until you genuinely care for them and wish to see them happy, successful or in some cases burn in hell. It will make you laugh and cry, which is what all good dramas should invoke. Throw into the mix a nice, non annoying soundtrack and some pretty good cinematography and you get a seriously a good watch. Strong recommended, not just for viewing but repeated viewings as well.
Seung225
12 of 12 people found this review helpful
Jan 29, 2014
Honestly when I started to watch this drama I hadn't great expectations, in fact, I had no expectations at all specially because of the main plot I guessed that this whole inheritance thing would be too predictable and boring. I saw this drama once in a while in MDL and another places but never got the interest in watching it 'till recently when I finished a drama and I decided to give read more this one a chance.

When I started watching this drama I thought it just had 16 episodes, I didn't expect 28 episodes at all, that's why in the first 4 or 5 episodes I thought that the drama was way to slow, the screenwriter was wasting too much time and I also thought that the drama would be boring, but then I saw that in fact this drama has 28 episodes and then I had another thoughts... The screenwriter took the necessary time to develop the story and help the view to not just get used to the main character, but know personally each and every character that is part of the story.

In this drama the screenwriter knows how to control the characters and the history being faithful to each of them and as the viewers get into the story - as a viewer I can say that - they learn to develop different feelings towards the characters. The story has different levels and in each level we can see new sides of the characters as the story develops naturally. There's nothing forced about his script, it is the most natural one and at the end... I must tell that everything was thought carefully. This end was one of the few ones that gave some satisfaction, it was a really good end.

The music is nothing special, I like the OST, but there was nothing too memorable for me.

As for the acting... It was brilliant! I didn't expected that Han Hyo Joo would pull out such a good acting as she did with her character Go Eun Song in this drama, the actress Moon Chae Woon also did an awesome job and as for me deserves a round of applause for her performance as the second main female lead Yoo Seung Mi, also the actress Kim Mi Sook just wooow, really good one. Really good acting. But of course Lee Seung Gi as the main male lead and Bae Su Bin as the second main male lead did a good job.

I'll watch this drama again someday for sure since is such a good drama.

Even if the OST isn't that memorable, from the acting, screenwriting to the directing this drama is the best.
I highly recommend it.
Acrytic
9 of 9 people found this review helpful
Oct 16, 2013
A simple or predictable story with good acting and execution is better than a complex story that loses its direction. For that reason, I decided to give the story a 9 because of how well the drama developed, even though the story wasn't out of the ordinary. The first few episodes were a little slow and melodramatic (major turn off), but it redeems itself quickly and prove to be really entertaining. read more Despite the sad theme, the drama managed to be both funny and positive. This is one of those longer dramas that actually get better and better as it progresses.

Acting:
Everyone acted pretty well. I particularly watched this because of Moon Chae Won, but I quickly found her character boring and unlikable. It was my first time watching a drama with Han Hyo Joo and she was really natural in her role as the female lead; it almost seem like the positive part of her role matches her real personality. Her scenes with Lee Seung Gi were definitely the highlights of this drama for me.

The music was adequate. I don't miss it or anything.

Rewatch Value:
I would specifically skip scenes between 2 characters if I were to rewatch this. I think it'll come obvious when you watch it too. However, I think the rest of the drama really made up for it.

Overall
Thinking about all those scenes that I enjoy makes me want to give this a 9. However, the scenes I disliked just went by so slow that I wouldn't even want to sit through it if I was occupied with other things. For that reason, I give this drama an 8.
addicted2dramas
8 of 8 people found this review helpful
Nov 13, 2013
I just finished watching this drama today and so my thoughts are still fresh. I think I haven't seen a makjang before this one. Since it was my first time watching such a genre I'd like to say I do not want to watch one of these yet again. Makjang may or may not be good but it sure kills you. Both in good and bad ways.

Let's start with the good read more first. I think this drama has one of the best cast ever. All actors were brilliant at what they did. I couldn't think of any flaw in that department. Lee Seung Gi pulled off his character amazingly well. He completely made me fall in love with him more than ever before. For me he was a big factor in saving this drama from being unbearable. Never have I been so well hooked by an actor's performance in the past (okay, I have but it's been quite long). I consider Han Hyo Joo as one of the best Korean actresses and I loved her once again here too. Her character cried way too much but she did all those scenes wonderfully. There were other actors in the drama too who I've never seen in anything before and they all managed to capture my attention.

This is more of a family drama than anything else. That was both a good and bad thing. Good- because it makes you think a lot and helps you understand human emotions better, bad- because it took too much of time which could have been devoted to romance. I really wish there had been more of romance because the characters were so madly engrossing. Ah, well. Apart from that the antagonists in this drama are my utter favorites. Never have I ever enjoyed hating bad guys in a drama so much before. It was off the wall crazy and idiotic.

The soundtrack isn't the most impressive I've ever heard but it was oddly addicting. I think the last half of the drama fit the songs better. The angst was amazing and matched well with the background music.

Now let's get to the bad part- too much crying, too much of repetitiveness, too mellow and moments which make you pull out your hair. This drama was unnecessarily long. I would say it had a pretty heavy plot but it could have easily been 8 episodes less. Not saying that the last few episodes were bad but the middle ones were too dragging. It started out amazing but after episode 10, things started going downhill. It picked up after a good amount of episodes. I wish Han Hyo Joo had to cry less. I've never seen a female character cry so much before nor have I see a more miserable life of one either. LOL.

A special mention goes to the kid who played the autistic brother. His scenes were done so nicely! BTW the jealousy scenes of this drama are so memorable!!!! I think Lee Seung Gi is at his best in this drama when it came to romantic moments or scenes. His character was an A-grade arrogant jerk in the first half and developed very well in the later half. He was so good by the end that I could hardly remember him being bad at all. The second male lead in this drama was boring according to me. I didn't feel like I could root for him. The female lead was very strong and admirable in spite of her crying. The second female lead played by Moon Chae Won was super annoying. I don't know if it's just the actress or her roles itself- she somehow ends up annoying me all the time.

Anyway, I really enjoyed watching this drama because it was a full blown experience. It had its great and awful moments but it was worth my time. However, I will never rewatch it again except maybe the few romantic scenes.
diana_list
Jun 22, 2013
This was a really good drama. I will say I think it wins the prize for the amount of lies told in one drama.
I am glad I watched this while I was on vacation, because once I started watching, I couldn't stop
The acting was fabulous. Han Hyo Joo has been one of my favorites for a long time and she did not disappoint as Eun Sung
Lee Seung Gi as read more Hwan was someone I started out hating and grew to love as his story comes to life. Ban Hyo Jung as the grandmother was superb. So many good actors, difficult to mention every one. One more I have to mention though is Yun Joon Suk. as Eun Woo. What a great job he did portraying the autistic brother of Eun Sung
Much can be learned from this drama. To mention just a few,liars never prosper, have a goal in life, love those in your life because you never know how long they will be here, follow your heart, stand up for what you believe in.
I only gave this drama a 6 for rewatch value. Mainly because it is so long. I think there are a few episodes I may go back and watch but I don't think I will rewatch the entire drama
Starae
Mar 7, 2012
I really enjoyed this story as well as the main actor and actress that did such a wonderful job.

However, I found that the first maybe 7 episodes dragged on for far to long and I almost stopped watching because of it. However, the drama did pick itself back up! It was a great story and a great ending, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes a good tear jerking read more romance. You do have to have quite the tolerance to get through the beginning episodes though but I promise it will get better.

You will find yourself hating the main villain, probably more then you've hated any bad guy in a show or movie before, and it will make you want to yell at your screen over and over. The actress does an excellent job at it though, as I've seen her play a complete opposite role and she does a phenomenal job at it.

So overall, very good drama, but a very slow start. This drama is what made me fall in love with Lee Seung Ki. x3
VioletSakura
Jan 14, 2012
For me this drama is on top of my list...
I love everything in this drama, especially the characters. The leading characters by their acting and their story make the story brilliant.
Go Eun-Song, is my favourite female protagonist of all time... Her strength and way of life makes me want to be like her...
The drama has so much to teach about different values and goals for life.
This drama has read more a big lesson, that the human life is so empty without a goal... even the worst plan... the meanest plan...the cruelest plan, that had the protagonist's step-mother... well, we all know what happens to bad plans that hurt other people... some time later, you understand that even she hurt all the people during all this time... after all is over, she is the one who is going to hurt the most. There are so many words in this drama, that are so true, they made me cry.
The progress of the characters is one of the strongest points of the drama... you'll have to watch this to understand all the beauty of this aspect.
And the music... Just try not to burst into tears when K.Will's song is playing and the actors are making your heart stop and skip a beat... you'll be my hero :)
meriem
Sep 19, 2013
i really enjoyed my time watching this drama , i found it intresting and funny , the actors did a great job portraying their characters
the story was quiet addictive and unique
however it has it's flaws
first of all , I had a hard time trying to stick my face into the screen at the first few episodes of the show , it was slow and dragging and the main character read more was so annoying and arrogant , but if you manage to get through that the story with get intersting and addictive
also , the main couple had an extremly weird chimesty and I found them really awkward sometimes , you will notice either that eun sung ( the female lead ) and the second lead that i forgot his name had even more chimestry then the main couple , he even helped her a lot through her journey while the lead was giving her a hard time but for some reason they always fall for the bad guy
the music was good enough but not epic ,it fits the situation but it just does't improve your experience and does't move any kind of emotion , at least for me
for the rewatch value , i don't think that i will rewatch this drama ever again althought it was a good drama , since there will be no suspence and all the secrets are already reveiled but i guess it depends on the person for there's some peaople who just enjoy the funny moments and the romance more than the story itself
overall i found this drama very good , addictive and i highly recommand it , believe me you will experience all kind of emotion from happiness to sadness to the urge to kill the evil step mother with your bare hands
thank you for reading this review and i hope you enjoy this drama :)
Triple-R-
Jun 15, 2012
This was a fairly good Drama, i would still give it a passing grade. The story line was slow buildin up, but it kept me interested never the less. I loved the main leads they`re good together and kept me routing for them.
There is almost every type of charactor in this drama; ever innocent like an angel lead girl, evil step mom, uncaring step sister thats influence by her mom, loving read more father who will do anything for his kids and the cold and uncaring guy that becomes the most lovable guy in the end. The acting for most of the cast was very good and deserve some form of notice, especially the Jang Sook Ja (Grandmother) i love her.
Watch it, you`ll be going up and down twist and turning, the fun won`t stop. So bare the slow start and by episodes 6 n 7 u`ll be begging for more. ENJOY!!!
manicmuse
Nov 30, 2011
I have such mixed feeling about this drama. It definitely earns some high drama marks for being addictive. The main character goes through so much betrayal, and the step mother is one of the most ruthless characters I have ever seen. There's also a great love "rectangle", which includes some awesome chemistry between the main characters. What stopped me from loving this drama is the fact that it's 28 episodes long, and read more what fills up that time is sometimes boring, annoying, & repetitive.

Way too much time is spent on characters whining about money. They whine about not having enough, who's getting it, and how to get more of it. I was tempted to fast forward through some scenes with particular characters, but I was afraid I'd miss too many key plot points. I would have preferred it if Lee Seung Ki, and Han Hyo Joo had more screen time together instead.

Though I loved watching Lee Seung Ki's character's transformation the most, the entire cast impressed me. Of course Kim Mi Sook stands out as the epitome of a wicked stepmother, but she could have had less screen time in my opinion. Quite a few of the characters have really good epic crying scenes, though I personally was never moved to tears by the story. Still, the actor that impressed me the most overall was actually Yun Joon Suk, who was so believable that I initially thought he was autistic.

I am glad that I decided to stick with it, and watched the whole thing. There are definitely a few moments that I already want to watch again, but I don't know if I could ever watch all 28 episodes again.
Crazy4You
Jul 15, 2011
I just finished watching this drama a couple hours ago and I have to say it was really really good (: I agree with the other reviews when they say this drama isn't boring and has you on the edge of your seat. It's a roller coaster ride of emotion throughout the whole show. I've never come across a show filled up with so much hate and betrayal. I don't think I've read more hated a character as much as I did the step mother, who I felt myself not liking more and more as I watched each episode. In the beginning you have Eun Sung who comes back from studying abroad in America and her bag winds up getting switched with Hwan. As the story takes off from there you have these 2 characters continuously running into each other. She and her brother get kicked out by her stepmother, and not long after she loses her brother, Eun-Woo who is autistic. Majority of the show she's looking for him. While trying to make money she finds and starts to take care of this grandmother who's lost her memory. I don't want to say too much more, as I'd be giving away the story. Each episode had me guessing at what would happen next, and of course it leaves you hanging so you have to watch the next episode. This show made me cry, laugh, angry, but happy. Then you have the love triangles. It really is filled with a lot of drama and confliction, but that's what made it so good.

The acting in this show, well like the title it was Brilliant! You can really feel for the characters while watching it. I dunno how to describe it, but the acting was realistic. This was the first show I watched with Lee Seung Ki and Han Hyo Joo, and I plan on watching more dramas with them. And whoever played the step mom should've got an award. I hated her character but her acting was really good. Seung Mi's character... I liked her in the beginning but you feel her falling under pressure as the events continue. Her character was played really well, you could feel how hard she wanted to keep what was hers (or what she felt was hers). Jun Sae's character... I liked him. I felt bad for him later on in the story, he is a good guy. I'm glad at how the story ended, though.

As for the music...I liked it. The music played it's part and I liked a lot of the songs played throughout the show.

Will I rewatch this drama? Probably not anytime soon (too many dramas I wanna watch). Maybe a couple years from now I'll rewatch it. 28 episodes is a lot to get through (almost 3O hours total), but I think that watching this show was worth it.

Overall: Definitely worth watching. The story is really good, indeed like Cinderella in ways (evil step mom, step sister, "Prince Charming"). It makes you think about what money does to people. I'd have to count this as one of my favorites now (: And I loved Lee Seung Ki as Hwan haha, but that's my personal opinion
gough
Apr 11, 2011
This is a wonderful drama! After you get through the first few episodes things get crazy. The acting is great, it really pulls you in and makes you feel for the characters. Whether you love or loathe them lol. Seriously be prepared to really hate some characters cause I found myself cursing at the screen lol. It's a must see!!
Shining Inheritance

SBS
  • Duration:

1 hr. 2 min.

• Score:

8.0 (scored by 6,299 users)
  • Ranked: