Shining Inheritance (2009)

manicmuse
6 of 6 people found this review helpful
Nov 30, 2011
I have such mixed feeling about this drama. It definitely earns some high drama marks for being addictive. The main character goes through so much betrayal, and the step mother is one of the most ruthless characters I have ever seen. There's also a great love "rectangle", which includes some awesome chemistry between the main characters. What stopped me from loving this drama is the fact that it's 28 episodes long, and read more what fills up that time is sometimes boring, annoying, & repetitive.

Way too much time is spent on characters whining about money. They whine about not having enough, who's getting it, and how to get more of it. I was tempted to fast forward through some scenes with particular characters, but I was afraid I'd miss too many key plot points. I would have preferred it if Lee Seung Ki, and Han Hyo Joo had more screen time together instead.

Though I loved watching Lee Seung Ki's character's transformation the most, the entire cast impressed me. Of course Kim Mi Sook stands out as the epitome of a wicked stepmother, but she could have had less screen time in my opinion. Quite a few of the characters have really good epic crying scenes, though I personally was never moved to tears by the story. Still, the actor that impressed me the most overall was actually Yun Joon Suk, who was so believable that I initially thought he was autistic.

I am glad that I decided to stick with it, and watched the whole thing. There are definitely a few moments that I already want to watch again, but I don't know if I could ever watch all 28 episodes again.
mary-kookie-exo
5 of 5 people found this review helpful
Aug 5, 2013
I really liked this drama, one of my faborite dramas; this is because it has a interesting plot, with great characters; it makes you hate someone the people in the drama!

Also for people who are planning to watch it, it has a great ending; I personally jumped, screamign 'Yay!' until my dad came up stairs, oopss!

Anyways, the acting is very good and so real, it also has some really cute read more scenes that will make you smile so much your jaws will ache! haha!

I really enjoyed it, the only thing is that the episodes amount is a bit long, however all the episodes are interesting and none of them are boring or anything. I think episode 27 is the best!

Well, enjoy this drama; hope you will like it as much as I do!
rachso
8 of 9 people found this review helpful
Feb 7, 2014
this drama was amazing it was like a unique twisted and different Cinderella story with a mean but also kind of nice prince. when i read the drama summary and watched it, even if the first episodes where kind of slow.i kept on wondering how is this girl going to fall in love with this boy, will she lose her memory first? oh will it be a life and death situation.if you've read more watched this you know what what am talking about. so that kept me going. i loved the acting. and also loved it.
allyson
Feb 25, 2013
It's so hard to find the words to describe what it's like watching this drama! I have started this review a dozen times now, and I still can't figure out what I want to say! So, I am forgoing my own convention, and breaking it down into the scoring template.

Story: The story is a mix of insanely unbelievable coincidences, overly used cliches with a heaping dash of wonderful thrown in. Even read more when they were completely disregarding the intelligence of the viewers by not only having her father being helped by one love interest but as well as having the lost brother being helped by the other love interest, this show was still a really great watch. Just be prepared to suspend disbelief in more ways than one.

Acting/Cast: This drama was way, way too long though. I didn't even like it all that much for the first 13 or 14 episodes, I persisted only so that I could finally start Flower Boy Next Door. But then Lee Seung Gi's character stops being such a self-centered jerk and starts to grow and mature and I was hooked. What new catastrophe would the evil witch and her daughter create next? Would Jun Se ever stop being the absolute perfect guy? Would the witch and her mother ever realize there was just zero way to win with the absurdity of the lies they spouted? These questions needed answers!

Music: I honestly can't remember a single song! Except for one that my friend pointed out sounded like a song from Full House. Which only made me realize how much the lead girl looks like Song Hye Kyo sometimes!

Rewatch Value: I rewatch, A LOT. There are very few dramas that I have seen that I can say I would never go back and rewatch my favorite scenes from. But I don't see myself ever going back and watching anything over again from this one. Too much sad and ridiculousness. I loved it, of course, but I don't think there is anything I want to go back for.

Overall: This drama is worth watching, even if you end up skimming a lot of it, like I was tempted to do. And did do for a couple of scenes, like everything to do with Jun Se's dad. This drama isn't an overly happy one, in fact for the most part it's pretty angst-filled. So be ready to shed a few tears if you decide to start it!

PS. Moon Chae Won is an AMAZING actress! I have never seen an actor or actress cry as naturally as she does, and even in midst of my deep hatred for Seung Mi, she was able to spark sympathy in me.
bugsnameis
Jun 7, 2012
the story was good slow but good they could have finished this in 15 eps
the music was lovely the acting was stellar
the stepmother and daughter were so evil in this i brought out my hexes and voodoo doll (well i was going to buy one anyway)Seung ki was truly adorable and mean. halmoni (grandmother) needs five stars for her acting. She was also the grandmother on rooftop prince so it read more was nice to see her in a good role where so got more screen time.
the music was good as well. but i don't think i'll watch it again it needed more to the end for me to rewatch it.
the story is about a girl who goes through so much tragedy and how she bounces back and doesn't allow the bad thing that was done to her color her life (karma)she helps those who she can help even though she needs is herself
so overall i give it an 8 because there were some truly talented people in this movie
kpopx3lover
May 21, 2011
This drama always had me at the edge of my seat! It never bored me to death at all. The suspense and the thrill of this drama was to die for! The acting was SUPERB!!! This drama made me shed so many tears even when it was just the 2nd episode. Each episode always had you hoping that everything would work out, but the evil wicked stepmother always made you angry and read more so did the stepsister. This drama is indeed like Cinderella but better. The stepmother always had you wishing that she could just die. Anyway this drama will have you going nuts. It's a great drama where you want characters to like each other, characters to go and just die, characters to just have some sense and speak up. So many secrets and lies....There are times where there were scenes that i literally punched the computer screen. It's one of those dramas where you can laugh and cry and feel the pain of the characters and see how much each and every one of them changes throughout the drama. I was very surprised at how they made their acting very realistic. You can't imagine how much pain she goes through in order for her to have the life she can finally have. This drama is very very well made. It has comedy, romance, drama, many many cliff-hangers.............what more could you ask for in a drama??? This is definitely one of the best I've seen so far!
LSky
8 of 10 people found this review helpful
Aug 4, 2012
2009/SBS

Once again my preference to SBS is confirmed with Shining Inheritance. Having a few of the more recent SBS drama's (among others) it was a welcome surprise to see so many familiar faces. No doubt this will continue the more different drama's I watch. I just couldn't help but notice how Shining Inheritance shares much of its (supporting) cast with 49 Days and City Hunter, two of my favorite drama's so read more far. After seeing only a few episodes, I could understand why it had received such high ratings on the first airing. I was even more happily surprised that my fear for it being too long (28 episodes) was being proved wrong along the way. Every time I anticipated the plot to slow down or become repetitive, a new trick was unveiled that kept me interested.

The story line and the tools used in order to maintain that high interest are what really set this drama apart from others. While contemporaries such as Secret Garden may excel in their production value, City Hunter in their soundtrack and both of them in acting, it is the script that distinguishes Shining Inheritance. Very loosely based on Charles Dickens' Great Expectations, the brilliant twists in this drama perform very well to hide the few shortcomings that always pop up in (Korean) drama's such as excessive melodrama, unrealistically close encounters and predictable plot devices. I'm looking forward to a drama that could match or beat Shining Inheritance story line-wise, though. Know any? Let me know! It should also be noted that the producers of this drama do such a good job at cliffhanger episode endings that it's almost cruel at times.

The acting in this drama is well above the acceptable standard, with the large supporting performing even better than the main cast. Each are given their adequate screen time (except perhaps for store manager Lee Joon Young, played by Baek Seung-Hyun) and many familiar faces from aforementioned dramas's make a great appearance, particularly 49 Days' Bae Soo-Bin (as Jun-Se) and from City Hunter as well as 49 Days, Choi Jeong-Woo (as Jun-Se's father Park Tae-Su). Familiar faces such as Kim Mi-Suk (as the evil stepmother) also prove the older actors are regularly outshining the younger main cast. Han Hyo-Joo as the female lead Eun-Seong delivers her breakthrough performance, which I personally found more impressive than male lead Lee Seung-Ki's acting. He does well in his following drama My Girlfriend is a Gumiho in 2010 though. There's very little to complain about with this great cast, although I found the characters Woo-Jeong (Hwan's sister) and Yeong-Ran (Hwan's mother) a little extreme, though that's probably not the actresses' fault. I wish to see Min Yeong-Won (as Hye-Ri) in a bigger role some time though. She's too good of an actress just to play in supporting roles.

Similar to when I reviewed Formidable Rivals/Powerful Opponents earlier, this is also a drama that doesn't really stand out for its soundtrack or production value. Though don't take this as if it's really missing anything, it's just not memorable.

In short, it's really the story line and the supporting cast that make this drama quite exceptional. Don't be scared of its 28 hour length, it is used really well. Watch this drama if you can spare the time!

8/10

Sproggie
6 of 8 people found this review helpful
Aug 31, 2012
I usually don't have that much patience for Drama's. I find the last few episodes take the longest to watch. I really like Seung Gi so I wanted to watch one of his dramas since he is just so cute. I watched him in 2 Days 1 Night and then i really wanted to watch this drama. When I saw that this drama had 28 episodes, I had convinced myself that I read more would drop it soon. But I loved it so much, that I watched all the episodes within a few days. The story was so amazing.

The acting and the story line just has what it takes to make you feel everything that the characters are feeling. I am not an easy person to make cry but I cried quite a few times during this drama. I liked that it was very family orientated and yet it managed to fit in just the right amount of drama and romance.

The characters' stories were quite predictable but it did have the odd twists from the actions of the 'villain' side of things. Even though the story was long, it felt like it wasn't long enough. In the end you feel like you want to see what happens next even though you know that it's over. It's like you end up searching for behind the scenes clips just to be able to see more things to do with this drama.

I high recommend this drama. It's nice to watch with family as well,or just to sit buy yourself as you watch handsome and pretty actors work to the best of their capability. It gives you a total emotional roller coaster with tears, laughter, happiness, sadness etc.
ellen1997xx
4 of 5 people found this review helpful
Nov 11, 2012
This drama had the whole package for me personally.This drama in my opinion was excellent but with a few errors. I couldn't belive when I first watched it how similar my life was with the main character(not the rich thing though:D). She has an autistic younger brother like myself so she is very helpful to him. I realised that this had to be believable and it really was. The autistic boys acting read more was spot on and she really did care for him thorughout the story. But anyways back to the drama.The drama was fresh for me as I've never seen a drama with so many elements to it.It is very complex at times and you find yourself stuck to your computer screen. The acting is incredible and the way the bad girl(Moon Chae Won)is able to act so innocent and so evil at the same time is really incredible.A few flaws with it is the length although time passes quickly in the drama you may find yourself a few times screaming at a character to think for a second. But overall it isn't boring.And finally the chemistry between Han Hyo Joo and Lee Seung Ki is brilliant. I would definetly give this drama a ten out of ten and reccommend it for everyone!!
KdramaQueen89
3 of 4 people found this review helpful
May 5, 2011
The story idea was new to me and seemed like it would make for an interesting drama. It\''s only downfall is the episode count. It just felt too long for the amount of story. There\''s only so much a person could take of the main female lead\''s crying. I did enjoy everyone\''s performances though. I might rewatch this in a couple of years just because the leads had chemistry and I\''d like read more to see thier romance play out again.
jinxybabz
4 of 6 people found this review helpful
Jun 27, 2012
I found it slow and rather hard to get into at first but after episode 8 it became addictive. The storyline was rather long winded and at times I felt that they could have made it shorter. The romance between the characters was rather sweet but it could have done with more romantic moments and I, like several other people who have commented on the show felt that lead character ended up with the wrong man.
Seung225
13 of 13 people found this review helpful
Jan 29, 2014
Honestly when I started to watch this drama I hadn't great expectations, in fact, I had no expectations at all specially because of the main plot I guessed that this whole inheritance thing would be too predictable and boring. I saw this drama once in a while in MDL and another places but never got the interest in watching it 'till recently when I finished a drama and I decided to give read more this one a chance.

When I started watching this drama I thought it just had 16 episodes, I didn't expect 28 episodes at all, that's why in the first 4 or 5 episodes I thought that the drama was way to slow, the screenwriter was wasting too much time and I also thought that the drama would be boring, but then I saw that in fact this drama has 28 episodes and then I had another thoughts... The screenwriter took the necessary time to develop the story and help the view to not just get used to the main character, but know personally each and every character that is part of the story.

In this drama the screenwriter knows how to control the characters and the history being faithful to each of them and as the viewers get into the story - as a viewer I can say that - they learn to develop different feelings towards the characters. The story has different levels and in each level we can see new sides of the characters as the story develops naturally. There's nothing forced about his script, it is the most natural one and at the end... I must tell that everything was thought carefully. This end was one of the few ones that gave some satisfaction, it was a really good end.

The music is nothing special, I like the OST, but there was nothing too memorable for me.

As for the acting... It was brilliant! I didn't expected that Han Hyo Joo would pull out such a good acting as she did with her character Go Eun Song in this drama, the actress Moon Chae Woon also did an awesome job and as for me deserves a round of applause for her performance as the second main female lead Yoo Seung Mi, also the actress Kim Mi Sook just wooow, really good one. Really good acting. But of course Lee Seung Gi as the main male lead and Bae Su Bin as the second main male lead did a good job.

I'll watch this drama again someday for sure since is such a good drama.

Even if the OST isn't that memorable, from the acting, screenwriting to the directing this drama is the best.
I highly recommend it.

SBS
  • Duration:

1 hr. 2 min.

• Score:

8.0 (scored by 7,499 users)
  • Ranked: