cityhunter83
11 of 14 people found this review helpful
Jan 10, 2014
i'm looking at the ratings i gave for each category and and though i was honest i dont feel like it refelects how fun this drama was to watch at moments.

it feels like the drama was missing something, and at the end i really felt like i was ending right in the middle. a little contemplation leads me to the opinion that the stroy of Ma Te's parentage and the corprate read more machinations took up just waaaaay too much of this drama. but alsa that is not the only problem.

alot of the character growth (where it existed) was abrupt, nonsensical and lazy. i would have really liked to see a lot more growth out of Bo Tong, but i'm not surprised at how stunted her character was. it seems like everytime korean drama puts forth a worthy woman they then proceed to push her as far into the shadow of a man as she could possibly go with out disappearing completely. Arang (arang and the magistrate) and Yowol (gu family book) come to mind.
Sara
7 of 9 people found this review helpful
Jan 11, 2014
at first i was really looking forward to watch this drama. I love Jan Geun Suk. I really liked the idea of this drama even though the rich guy poor girl kinda thing is worn out for most of the people but if the story is good i really like this concept :).

IU was sooo cute in this drama but the obsession she had for Ma Te was a little annoying read more for me. She wasn't a strong charakter but i thought she was cute and lovable.

The romance between Ma Te and Bo Tong was weak in my opinion. Most of the time Ma Te was busy with sudicing some woman and Bo Tong was hanging out with David so there wasn't much interaction going on with both of them. I liked Bo Tong with David more but he had no chance against Ma Te...... -.-

Only the last 3 episodes made me excited and i wanted to watch more of Bo Tong and Ma Te's relationship.... even though i pitied David for not getting the girl :(

Afterall the Drama was okay. Nothing special but not THAT bad. I give it a 8 cause the last 3 episodes got me excited :)

PS: The names Bo Tong and Ma Te were horrible in my opinion >.< xD
xskdrama
4 of 6 people found this review helpful
Jan 10, 2014
keeping in mind that this is a comic adaptation, the first few episodes i would say had outlandish scenes but keeps to its roots. the characters are not your everyday variety of people but still very much relatable. the trials and triumphs that they go through helps them mature and learn what is valuable in life.
i started totally engaged in this drama. lost my way halfway through. but i am happy read more that i kept on! 16 hours that i invested in this is not wasted time, at all.
it may not be one of the best dramas that i've seen but it is good enough for a rewatch in the future!
Kairiqu
4 of 7 people found this review helpful
Jan 10, 2014
Oh, what a roller coaster this drama has been! What started out as a typical Jan Suk drama, wherein boy overcomes slight obstacles to be with the one he loves, became a twisty, bendy, delicious can't wait edge of your seat drama! Not to say, however, that there weren't problems. Then why, you ask, did I give this drama a nine?
The story started slow, and by the fifth episode, you will read more absolutely DREAD the word socks, as that is all the characters seem to want to talk about. But then a funny thing happens; the main character starts to mature, and LEARN from the women he's sent to seduce; and every time you finish another episode, you learn something with Ma Te. All is not what you expect; everytime you think you've got a handle on what's about to happen, or the storyline starts to go down a predictable situation, it twists itself in a fresh and honest way that I feel will keep you interested and excited in what's happening and what's going to happen next.
What could have been a one note character dialed in by Jan Suk was instead turned into a maturing, layered man by the end of the show; I truly believe that Ma Te was changing throughout the episodes; he was becoming a man, not just a 'pretty' boy, and Jan Suk did a great job once the story started to pick up. You will find yourself with a slight case of second lead syndrome, but this drama isn't about what little romance there is in it...it's about what you can learn from those around you, and about how even the most simplest person can teach you the one thing you need to know to be the best person you are meant to be.
I don't believe I will watch this again; not because it was a bad drama, but because it would cheapen the FEELS and surprises that I've seen; I would think less of the people, and the lessons from the women wouldn't have as much as an impact once you've seen it through the first time. Would I recommend this? Not only have I already done so to a few of my friends, but I would also want to warn you: after around episode 6, plan on setting aside the remaining time to marathon this...it's like a good book you can't put down.
fmm
3 of 5 people found this review helpful
Jan 10, 2014
Let’s start by put this drama in its right genre which is light melodrama (whatever that means) but it’s applicable I think. And also its right preview. It is about a very beautiful man loved and cherished by every woman who meets him starting from his mother. And the impact he received and gave to those women through his journey to find his parentage secret and his maturity.
The story is interesting read more and was written will. you would think it is a cliché, but every time you predict something it doesn’t happened as the way you predicted. It wasn’t full of surprises but as I said it just isn’t a cliché.
Mate’s character isn’t complicated and in this kind of story far from cliché, he was pretty but not a playboy even innocent somehow, he care for women but not actively like or persuade women. He uses them but not in dishonest or a canny way, he is very honest but not from integrity prospect but it is because he is childishly innocent.
JGS was a perfect choice for this role. he shows the scaling of Mate’s matureness with more mature acting throughout the drama. he was brilliant in most of the drama specially the emotional scenes which were acted in low-keyed and very mature performance. But in some scenes his acting was too low-keyed that you’d think he is one of the extra (harsh, I know but that is because I admire and expect too much from him). I just love his deep voice. wasn’t a fan of the hair changing, it was confusing.
As for Bo Tong’s character, it was refreshingly written and vividly acted. I know that not everything new has to be good, but this character was refreshingly new in a very good way. She is simple but not childish as she seams. She is even more mature than Mate’. She loves him and worship him but she understand him like no other and know his faults and tell him the truth without mincing her words and at the same time let him lei to save fac. The chemistry between the characters (not as much between the actors) is so strong and healthy. IU’s acting was excellent.
David’s character is more mature, charming and kind than Mate’s. but I appreciate that the writer didn’t play the inevitable love triangle that is in every drama, there was one of course but it wasn’t the lead of the events. The actor was good but I did not liked him much maybe because of his silly laugh!!!
And the best actress prize of all (Mommie Dearest) character goes to Kim Bo Yun. What a classy evil, and what a superb performance. The actress and the character gave the drama classiness and depth.
This is not a Cinderella story, it is not even a romance, but a drama that got romance and is funny but not to the extent to became a comedy and it isn’t also a mystery or a thriller. But it has all of that which make it more simple and more entertaining.
-R-L-
11 of 33 people found this review helpful
Dec 26, 2013
First of all, I'm going to apologise for my horrible english ( and please be nice, this is my first review XD ). I decided to write this review not only because i've seen how many people are hesitating to watch this drama but also because the majority who tried to watch it just watched 2 or 3 episodes ( which is not enought to judge ).

The first episodes are annoying read more I can't lie about that, but it starts to get interesting as we watch it.
The character's development is slow but that's good in my opinion ( I can't stand it when a character changes from a big jerk in episode 1 to a cute little bunny in episode 2 ... it seems too unnatural ).The story is quite simple, it's about a perfect guy ( Ma Te/ Jang Geun Suk ) who had a difficult life ( He never met his father and he and his mother were poor )but because of this circumstances he comes to love his mother more than anywone in the world and tries to take advantage of his looks to give her a better life(for the ones who think he's just full of himself, in my opinion, he is not, I think he just depends a lot on his looks because he thinks he can't rely on anything else since people seem to only care about that ( if you watch at least 10 episodes you will understand what I'm saying). One day He meets a mysterious woman who tells him that he is the son of the president of a big company. This woman turns out to be his father's ex-daughter-in-law and now she wants Ma Te's Help in taking revenge of his father's wife who ''destroyed'' her life. Ma te agrees with helping her and this is how the ''adventure'' begins. ( at this rate i will end up telling you all the story so i shall end up here )

Regarding Kim Bo tong (.IU), I love her, she is the cutest character in this drama, I can't understand why people don't like her... I can identify with her because in reality she is nothing more than one hell of a fangirl (just like me XD...everytime she talks about Ma Te I end up thinking if I look like her when I'm talking aboyt my favorite actors XD ) she is funny and lovely I can't hate her XD ( I didn't know .IU, but now I am her fan)

There are a lot of other good characters such as Choi David and Hong Yoo Ra ^^

If you give this drama a chance I know that you will like it ^^

I apologise for my Horrible English again XD
Bedriye
7 of 26 people found this review helpful
Dec 31, 2013
This is the first time that I'm writing a review on a drama.
This had to be done because this drama has become one of my favourite.

I think I fell in love with David ! He has such a beautiful smile. Whenever he smiles I have to smile too, because he is so adorable !^^

Furthermore I think that all actors are doing a great job, especially IU . These kind read more of roles are suiting her better. She is also cute.

The story line is original. It catches you right away! After watching a few episodes you will be eager to know how it will end.

I also like the music in this drama. It's very relaxing.

Overall I think that they have made a good choice by producing this drama.

It's totally worth it!!!!@
WonByungHoon
3 of 8 people found this review helpful
Apr 7, 2014
i love JGS but this drama dragged so much i kept putting it on long for the longest time. things dint start hitting up until the episode with the little brat. IU did a good job acting her part from the beginning. hong yu ra was every bit annoying and sassy that i dint care for her. she had the same makeup, hairstyle and expression throughout and in the latter episodes she read more was either drinking coffee or on the phone. the mother was evil and also had one look throughout the show, the son was just a waste of show, the other kid was alright but the very last scene of the episode is too much, cliche. the last episodes were so rushed it was obvious. in the summary it says ma te seduces 10 women but he actually only does 5 or 6. the others were plugged in out of rush just to fulfill the numbers which dint make sense. anyways its a one time thing im glad its over.
2013started
4 of 13 people found this review helpful
Jan 16, 2014
I love JKS that's why I watched this. The story was not so great (not the fault of the actors it is based on a manga after all). So keep this in mind when watching it (IU's devotion to main character was just impossible). JKS has great acting skills. The romance factor was okay. I like him and the story much better in You're Beautiful, Love Rain and Mary Stayed Out All Night.
porsh3000
3 of 12 people found this review helpful
Feb 3, 2014
Honestly, I really enjoyed this drama. There were a lot of times where I would just say to myself "Really? Your crazy!" Ha ha. I didn't just watch it in one night though. There were times where I put it on hold for a little bit. I don't really know if I would watch it over and over again though. But, I did rate it as an 8..Even though, that may sound crazy. Ha ha. :)
jonssister
13 of 16 people found this review helpful
Jan 30, 2014
Story: It was ok but it dragged. I thought they kept the pacing nice until episode 10-14. Then 15 and 16 seemed to have so many random things thrown in. I would say that they needed more episodes, but they wasted so much time in 10-14 that it's hard for me to even consider that. I wasn't expecting much out of this drama, but even with low standards it's hard for me read more to give this a love it rating. There were times that in this drama it felt like it was a fanfic. I don't mean a nasty one; I mean a nice fluffy one that a high schooler wrote. If any of you read fanfics which I'm sure more than half of you do, and you know what I'm talking about. I will say if I stumbled across a fanfic version of this I think there would be more kissing.

Cast: Now I understand why people like IU so much. She really has this girl next door feel to her. I love JGS. He's one of my favorite actors, but this was not his best work. I feel like Lee Jang Woo never fully committed to his character. I feel like the director had something to do with these two not performing their best.

Music: It was ok. Good variety, I didn't feel like they were playing the same song all the time throughout this drama.

Rewatch: Probably not because there wasn't anything that made me think yeah I needed to watch again. There wasn't a pivotal moment that made everything change and made me think yeah I want to watch this build up again.

Overall: If you want an aegyo drama that was probably based on a fanfic, then give this a shot. I went into this drama with about the same thought as Nail Shop Pairs. Yeah, I feel like the writers for both of Nail Shop Pairs and Pretty Boy have the same style. I want to give this a better rating because I really like IU, JGS, and Lee Jang Woo. I really hope their next dramas are better than this.
Hessa
13 of 14 people found this review helpful
Jan 27, 2014
As you can see the ratings I gave are really low, I am not being biased, this is really how I truly feel about the drama. I was expecting too much from this drama, but what a disappointment it was. I regret wasting time on it.

I started watching this knowing it was originally a Manhwa. I don't know if the drama followed the Manhwa exactly, but if the Manhwa was like read more "THAT", then it surely sucks. The story did not have a meaning to it and as the drama went on, it got even more boring. And about 6 episodes before the end, I was hoping the drama would get shortened and end quickly, because I could not take it anymore. In the last episodes, I end up sleeping whenever I start watching it.

In dramas, I usually get attached to the characters, but not in this drama. Knowing it was a Manhwa beforehand, I expected the characters to be quirky and childish, but that did not help, I disliked all the characters. I feel like the writers made all the characters seem pitiful, and I really hated that. I really hated how Han Chae Young acted, she always had the same facial expression. I don't know if she was suppose to act like that, but she was the worst in my opinion.

The main actors really lacked chemistry. No sweet moments, were you wish this is happening to you. I really did not care who Bo Tong or Ma Te ends up with, I just wanted the drama to end.

I am only writing my opinion, and if you feel like you want to watch it, do watch it. I am not here to force my opinion on anybody, I am just giving you a heads-up.
Pretty Boy

KBS2
  • Duration:

60 min.

• Score:

6.7 (scored by 3,112 users)
  • Ranked: