WonByungHoon
3 of 8 people found this review helpful
Apr 7, 2014
i love JGS but this drama dragged so much i kept putting it on long for the longest time. things dint start hitting up until the episode with the little brat. IU did a good job acting her part from the beginning. hong yu ra was every bit annoying and sassy that i dint care for her. she had the same makeup, hairstyle and expression throughout and in the latter episodes she read more was either drinking coffee or on the phone. the mother was evil and also had one look throughout the show, the son was just a waste of show, the other kid was alright but the very last scene of the episode is too much, cliche. the last episodes were so rushed it was obvious. in the summary it says ma te seduces 10 women but he actually only does 5 or 6. the others were plugged in out of rush just to fulfill the numbers which dint make sense. anyways its a one time thing im glad its over.
2013started
4 of 13 people found this review helpful
Jan 16, 2014
I love JKS that's why I watched this. The story was not so great (not the fault of the actors it is based on a manga after all). So keep this in mind when watching it (IU's devotion to main character was just impossible). JKS has great acting skills. The romance factor was okay. I like him and the story much better in You're Beautiful, Love Rain and Mary Stayed Out All Night.
porsh3000
3 of 12 people found this review helpful
Feb 3, 2014
Honestly, I really enjoyed this drama. There were a lot of times where I would just say to myself "Really? Your crazy!" Ha ha. I didn't just watch it in one night though. There were times where I put it on hold for a little bit. I don't really know if I would watch it over and over again though. But, I did rate it as an 8..Even though, that may sound crazy. Ha ha. :)
jonssister
13 of 16 people found this review helpful
Jan 30, 2014
Story: It was ok but it dragged. I thought they kept the pacing nice until episode 10-14. Then 15 and 16 seemed to have so many random things thrown in. I would say that they needed more episodes, but they wasted so much time in 10-14 that it's hard for me to even consider that. I wasn't expecting much out of this drama, but even with low standards it's hard for me read more to give this a love it rating. There were times that in this drama it felt like it was a fanfic. I don't mean a nasty one; I mean a nice fluffy one that a high schooler wrote. If any of you read fanfics which I'm sure more than half of you do, and you know what I'm talking about. I will say if I stumbled across a fanfic version of this I think there would be more kissing.

Cast: Now I understand why people like IU so much. She really has this girl next door feel to her. I love JGS. He's one of my favorite actors, but this was not his best work. I feel like Lee Jang Woo never fully committed to his character. I feel like the director had something to do with these two not performing their best.

Music: It was ok. Good variety, I didn't feel like they were playing the same song all the time throughout this drama.

Rewatch: Probably not because there wasn't anything that made me think yeah I needed to watch again. There wasn't a pivotal moment that made everything change and made me think yeah I want to watch this build up again.

Overall: If you want an aegyo drama that was probably based on a fanfic, then give this a shot. I went into this drama with about the same thought as Nail Shop Pairs. Yeah, I feel like the writers for both of Nail Shop Pairs and Pretty Boy have the same style. I want to give this a better rating because I really like IU, JGS, and Lee Jang Woo. I really hope their next dramas are better than this.
Hessa
15 of 16 people found this review helpful
Jan 27, 2014
As you can see the ratings I gave are really low, I am not being biased, this is really how I truly feel about the drama. I was expecting too much from this drama, but what a disappointment it was. I regret wasting time on it.

I started watching this knowing it was originally a Manhwa. I don't know if the drama followed the Manhwa exactly, but if the Manhwa was like read more "THAT", then it surely sucks. The story did not have a meaning to it and as the drama went on, it got even more boring. And about 6 episodes before the end, I was hoping the drama would get shortened and end quickly, because I could not take it anymore. In the last episodes, I end up sleeping whenever I start watching it.

In dramas, I usually get attached to the characters, but not in this drama. Knowing it was a Manhwa beforehand, I expected the characters to be quirky and childish, but that did not help, I disliked all the characters. I feel like the writers made all the characters seem pitiful, and I really hated that. I really hated how Han Chae Young acted, she always had the same facial expression. I don't know if she was suppose to act like that, but she was the worst in my opinion.

The main actors really lacked chemistry. No sweet moments, were you wish this is happening to you. I really did not care who Bo Tong or Ma Te ends up with, I just wanted the drama to end.

I am only writing my opinion, and if you feel like you want to watch it, do watch it. I am not here to force my opinion on anybody, I am just giving you a heads-up.
AmandaDelfiol
12 of 13 people found this review helpful
Jan 21, 2014
Okay so Pretty Boy was really intersting at first. I can give that to the show, despite the ridiculously shalLow obsession of Bo Tong ( IU's character ) over Ma Te ( Geun Suk's character). It started of with a really interesting concept of the Pretty Man conquering 10 succesful women while learning something with them. But while the story developed itself the hole concept was completly lost and it got to read more a point where it seemed the writers were only throwing some random women to complete the total number of people they needed. Needles to say, this show had no logic, with really obvious dramatic plot twists. Overall Bel Ami was quite a disapointment and a waste of great actors, that, even with such a poor script, could make the hole chemestry thing between the main leads amazing.
yankumicho
17 of 20 people found this review helpful
Jan 14, 2014
Pretty Boy (Bel Ami)acted in much the same way as most pretty boys do; it was flashy on the surface, with a beautiful cast and the world of the rich and infamous, but lacked a lot of emotional growth and maturity. For what it is worth, I did enjoy watching the show up to some point, but it was that lack which ultimately makes Pretty Man as shallow as its title.

At read more times, the storyline was solid to fair, but eventually, the story got caught up in its own premise (conquering 10 women) that it left very little room for any personal growth on the part of its female lead and severely understated the role of the other lead male. In fact, the story focused much more on the growth of one of the supporting roles than any emotional investment in other characters.

Furthermore, the story focused so much on the typical birth secret tropes that it lost a lot of its early humor. The story was at its best when Bo Tong and David did funny things, not when 95% of the episode dealt with the MG Group's machinations.

That being said, I feel the story limited its actors in a way. As this was Jang Geun Suk's comeback role, the character of Dokgo Ma Te seemed awfully similar to his previous roles, in particular that of Hwang Tae Kyung. This drama did nothing with JGS' acting that I hadn't already seen from him. IU, on the other hand, had a very vivacious character early on, but the story kept her rather one-note toward the end. The only decent performance was Lee Jang Woo's David Choi, which at least had me feeling for him and who was as beautiful inside as he was outside.

The only song from the drama which I remember off-hand was David's song. The rest of the OST didn't really resonate with me and seemed much more like surface music rather than fused with the storyline.

I will rewatch this only for David; really, I'm not even sure if I can rewatch it. In that regard, Bel Ami was just a surface drama; it's not memorable or great. It's really just botong.
boredandtwitchy
15 of 16 people found this review helpful
Jan 12, 2014
If you go to a drinking establishment in Korea, the server will commonly put on your table a bowl of puffed-up rice snacks. The flavor of these snacks is not particularly good, but the taste doesn't turn you off entirely. In fact, you'll find yourself compulsively eating one after the other while waiting for your drinks and food to arrive, and before you know it, you're wondering how the hell the bowl read more is empty.

That pretty much sums up my viewing experience of Pretty Boy: not a particularly good drama, but one I found extremely watchable and that I anticipated each week.

The storyline is two-fold: one thread is Dokko Ma Te and the ten women he must "conquer"; the second being a drama-standard birth secret plot. I will admit that the birth secrets had me most invested and offered little surprising twists. The women storyline might seem off-putting at first, but in the end, it became less about Ma Te taking advantage of women and more about a mutual exchange and growth happening within those connections.

Where the drama started to corrode were the moments where I actually paid attention to what was going on. Those were the moments when the plotlines to nowhere, random character entrances and exits, moments of discontinuity within the story, and quick fix deus ex machinas that happen off screen and present a quick "WTF" fix to a problem became glaringly obvious.

OK, that's admittedly quite a lot wrong with the drama. However, if you're looking for a drama that will fly by quickly with light humor and mystery and a quirky comic book feel to it, Pretty Boy should hold you over until the main drama course arrives.
chodinggyu
8 of 8 people found this review helpful
Jan 11, 2014
To be honest, I had high hopes starting this drama. I wish I could rate this higher but I can't.

STORY: I marathoned like the first 8 eps bc I hate waiting for updates. but as I started watching, I felt like it had no "real" plot to it. I would get very confused. I feel like there were still unanswered questions even after the drama ended. That was disappointing.. Actually what read more was more disappointing was the ending.
- ___ - but y'know. It's not really the casts fault.

ACTING/CAST: oh gosh. I don't even know where to begin with the acting.
I had second-lead syndrome throughout the entire drama.
Okay as much as I hate to admit I felt like there was no chemistry between Jang Geun and IU. Ma Tae's character bugged me a lot bc all he really did was seduce women with his looks. Where was the lesson learned in all that? So like if I were to seduce and flatter everyone, would I become rich and famous too? LOL that was a joke. but srsly though. IU's character was a little much for me too, but towards the end she was tolerable. I wish Jang Geun and IU had more chemistry. Maybe the romance scenes wouldn't have sucked so much(idk if you would even call them that). Na Hong Ran is a crazy beeotch. You have been warned.

MUSIC: It was nice to listen to for the most part. Nothing too over the top which was nice. Jang Geun has a beautiful voice *O*

REWATCH VALUE: unfortunately I would not watch this again. but don't think this is bc the drama is bad. It's actually interesting in a sense. I usually don't rewatch dramas. But that's just me. if I were to rewatch this, it'd probably be for the male actors haha..

I hope this was helpful without me giving too much away.
dont let my review stop you from watching this.
you could even disagree with me after watching this.
but you won't know unless you actually watch it.. Lol
palak
12 of 15 people found this review helpful
Jan 11, 2014
This drama had a really good cast. Jang Geun Suk and IU are one of the best actors on the k-drama scene. But even they couldn't save this plot. I liked the jokes and there were some funny moments. But the plot was just AWKWARD for me. The lead characters sucked. I mean, the guy seduces so many women and I don't understand what the hell he learned. I can't believe people read more are comparing this drama to Marry Me Mary. I love that drama and it was too sweet to be compared to this one. Coming to IU, fine, fine actress. But the character? UGH. Her character wasn't just immature. It was plain stupid. From the very damn beginning. The lead couple didn't even spend any time together and there was so little chemistry. Ma Te was always busy seducing another woman. And then they're together. JUST WOW. And don't even get me started on Yoo Ra. She was so CREEPY!
justinconfusion
14 of 17 people found this review helpful
Jan 10, 2014
Actually I wasn't sure if I should give this drama 4/10 or 5/10 and I am still unsure if my choice is the right choice.
It's undeniable (for me) that "Pretty Boy" is one of the worst dramas I have ever watched. Which is really sad considering that I liked the first few episodes a lot. I honestly thought that this is a very promising drama.

At the beginning I really liked read more Bo Tong's character and her fangirling over Ma Te. It was really funny and sometimes I could recognize my fangirling self in her behaviour. But as time went by I didn't get her obsession with Ma Te. It didn't make any sense. Ma Te wasn't a jot interested in her and only used her to reach his goals and although Bo Tong knew this she didn't care much. She deified her Oppa and scaled down her value. Her sole reason for breathing was Ma Te. She was diligent and brave, that's an undeniable fact. But without Ma Te she wasn't really living. She had no real purpose in life. And that was kind of annoying.
I found her more bearable when she was together with David. They had many things in common and I just liked their relationship. And I honestly wanted her to end up with him. But this only went on till he was deeply in love with her because then David somehow turned into a male version of fangirling Bo Tong. That was a pity.
I think that was the point when I couldn't wait for this drama to end. I even thought of dropping it.
In general the idea of this drama is good, but it wasn't really well executed. Many things were overdone and repeated until they were luke-warm and just boring.
Also this whole thing about Ma Te and his woman started very interesting but it somehow lost it's meaning on the journey. At
some point I couldn't understand why he did have to conquer
this women. And I also didn't understand why he stopped using the things he had learned from the women he conquered. It didn't make much sense.
But I guess what annoyed me the most was the whole talk about the password. I was annoyed by his mother when she didn't allow him to see his father because he didn'T have the password. This is so stupid. What kind of parent would do this to his own child? Although at the end it was explained why this password was needed for me it still was superfluous.

What also made me cringe were the crying scenes in this drama. I couldn't stand them at all and was always happy when the person who cried stopped crying. It was even worse than those open-eyes-kisses. Really, it made me just feel very uncomfortable.

I didn't like this drama very much but I wouldn't say that I regret watching it. There were some funny scenes and I didn't hate it all the time. That's why you should give it a try if you like the story/the actors. Read some reviews and forge a personal opinion. I believe that there were a lot of people out there who actually liked this drama.
Aryael
13 of 15 people found this review helpful
Jan 9, 2014
Story: This is a story about a man who is so good looking, women just drop like flies at the sight of him. What a blessing! What a curse! The drama has a very cliche title and synopsis, you'd think that this is just another idol drama featuring the crazy styles of Jang Guen Suk. To a certain degree, there is self-glorification of JGS happening in the drama but they were done read more in such a way that they provide comedic relief. When I started this drama, I had expected to dump it after a few episodes because of my bias against any pretty boy idol drama. Theya re usually catered for the young female fan market. It was the end of the year and I was bored; so I took it up. To my pleasant surprise, this drama did not disappoint at all! There is more to the drama than the cover it promotes. It has a deeper storyline than the staple love triangles we see in idol dramas. It deals with successes in the business world, family and the meaning of relationships. Expect to shed some tears and to hate someone. It has all the qualities of a good Korean drama. It somehow revived some of my faith in KDramas.. a little, not much. I am still waiting for the next big thing! But trust me when I say that your hours of watching this drama will not go to waste. The only reason why I gave the story 9/10 and not 10/10 is because of the slight discrepancy between how the drama was promoted versus how it actualy turned out. It was promoted as a test of 10 women - the first few episodes, it certainly felt like it but somewhere in the middle, things got serious and the story moved away from the "test of 10 women" to more of a melo feel. I do not mind the change in direction given that it gives the drama more depth. So, my advice is - do not base your expectation of this drama on the "test of 10 women" premise.

Acting/Cast: All veteran actors and actresses. No complains in this department. Despite all his wacky styles, JGS is definitely a more solid actor that many idol actors in the industry. He just need to select his script more carefully and really test his strength in acting by moving away from the cliche type idol dramas. In Pretty Boy/Bel Ami, he somewhat redeemed himself after so many not so high ranking idol dramas since You're Beautiful. This is again, thanks to the change in drama direction halfway through towards a more melo type drama.

Rewatch value: I am not in a hurry to rewatch this. The story and acting is good but the drama has so many twists and revelation that watching it the second time will take away some of the impact of why it is good.

Overall: A solid 8/10. Definitely worth watching but if you are expecting something that will take your breath away and stick to you mind for years after that will turn you into a rewatch maniac, this is not it. Nevertheless, it stands out as a worthy entertainment amongst all the mediocre KDrama offerings from 2013.
Pretty Boy

KBS2
  • Duration:

60 min.

• Score:

6.7 (scored by 3,397 users)
  • Ranked: