Aryael
11 of 13 people found this review helpful
Jan 9, 2014
Story: This is a story about a man who is so good looking, women just drop like flies at the sight of him. What a blessing! What a curse! The drama has a very cliche title and synopsis, you'd think that this is just another idol drama featuring the crazy styles of Jang Guen Suk. To a certain degree, there is self-glorification of JGS happening in the drama but they were done read more in such a way that they provide comedic relief. When I started this drama, I had expected to dump it after a few episodes because of my bias against any pretty boy idol drama. Theya re usually catered for the young female fan market. It was the end of the year and I was bored; so I took it up. To my pleasant surprise, this drama did not disappoint at all! There is more to the drama than the cover it promotes. It has a deeper storyline than the staple love triangles we see in idol dramas. It deals with successes in the business world, family and the meaning of relationships. Expect to shed some tears and to hate someone. It has all the qualities of a good Korean drama. It somehow revived some of my faith in KDramas.. a little, not much. I am still waiting for the next big thing! But trust me when I say that your hours of watching this drama will not go to waste. The only reason why I gave the story 9/10 and not 10/10 is because of the slight discrepancy between how the drama was promoted versus how it actualy turned out. It was promoted as a test of 10 women - the first few episodes, it certainly felt like it but somewhere in the middle, things got serious and the story moved away from the "test of 10 women" to more of a melo feel. I do not mind the change in direction given that it gives the drama more depth. So, my advice is - do not base your expectation of this drama on the "test of 10 women" premise.

Acting/Cast: All veteran actors and actresses. No complains in this department. Despite all his wacky styles, JGS is definitely a more solid actor that many idol actors in the industry. He just need to select his script more carefully and really test his strength in acting by moving away from the cliche type idol dramas. In Pretty Boy/Bel Ami, he somewhat redeemed himself after so many not so high ranking idol dramas since You're Beautiful. This is again, thanks to the change in drama direction halfway through towards a more melo type drama.

Rewatch value: I am not in a hurry to rewatch this. The story and acting is good but the drama has so many twists and revelation that watching it the second time will take away some of the impact of why it is good.

Overall: A solid 8/10. Definitely worth watching but if you are expecting something that will take your breath away and stick to you mind for years after that will turn you into a rewatch maniac, this is not it. Nevertheless, it stands out as a worthy entertainment amongst all the mediocre KDrama offerings from 2013.
justinconfusion
13 of 16 people found this review helpful
Jan 10, 2014
Actually I wasn't sure if I should give this drama 4/10 or 5/10 and I am still unsure if my choice is the right choice.
It's undeniable (for me) that "Pretty Boy" is one of the worst dramas I have ever watched. Which is really sad considering that I liked the first few episodes a lot. I honestly thought that this is a very promising drama.

At the beginning I really liked read more Bo Tong's character and her fangirling over Ma Te. It was really funny and sometimes I could recognize my fangirling self in her behaviour. But as time went by I didn't get her obsession with Ma Te. It didn't make any sense. Ma Te wasn't a jot interested in her and only used her to reach his goals and although Bo Tong knew this she didn't care much. She deified her Oppa and scaled down her value. Her sole reason for breathing was Ma Te. She was diligent and brave, that's an undeniable fact. But without Ma Te she wasn't really living. She had no real purpose in life. And that was kind of annoying.
I found her more bearable when she was together with David. They had many things in common and I just liked their relationship. And I honestly wanted her to end up with him. But this only went on till he was deeply in love with her because then David somehow turned into a male version of fangirling Bo Tong. That was a pity.
I think that was the point when I couldn't wait for this drama to end. I even thought of dropping it.
In general the idea of this drama is good, but it wasn't really well executed. Many things were overdone and repeated until they were luke-warm and just boring.
Also this whole thing about Ma Te and his woman started very interesting but it somehow lost it's meaning on the journey. At
some point I couldn't understand why he did have to conquer
this women. And I also didn't understand why he stopped using the things he had learned from the women he conquered. It didn't make much sense.
But I guess what annoyed me the most was the whole talk about the password. I was annoyed by his mother when she didn't allow him to see his father because he didn'T have the password. This is so stupid. What kind of parent would do this to his own child? Although at the end it was explained why this password was needed for me it still was superfluous.

What also made me cringe were the crying scenes in this drama. I couldn't stand them at all and was always happy when the person who cried stopped crying. It was even worse than those open-eyes-kisses. Really, it made me just feel very uncomfortable.

I didn't like this drama very much but I wouldn't say that I regret watching it. There were some funny scenes and I didn't hate it all the time. That's why you should give it a try if you like the story/the actors. Read some reviews and forge a personal opinion. I believe that there were a lot of people out there who actually liked this drama.
cityhunter83
11 of 14 people found this review helpful
Jan 10, 2014
i'm looking at the ratings i gave for each category and and though i was honest i dont feel like it refelects how fun this drama was to watch at moments.

it feels like the drama was missing something, and at the end i really felt like i was ending right in the middle. a little contemplation leads me to the opinion that the stroy of Ma Te's parentage and the corprate read more machinations took up just waaaaay too much of this drama. but alsa that is not the only problem.

alot of the character growth (where it existed) was abrupt, nonsensical and lazy. i would have really liked to see a lot more growth out of Bo Tong, but i'm not surprised at how stunted her character was. it seems like everytime korean drama puts forth a worthy woman they then proceed to push her as far into the shadow of a man as she could possibly go with out disappearing completely. Arang (arang and the magistrate) and Yowol (gu family book) come to mind.
palak
10 of 13 people found this review helpful
Jan 11, 2014
This drama had a really good cast. Jang Geun Suk and IU are one of the best actors on the k-drama scene. But even they couldn't save this plot. I liked the jokes and there were some funny moments. But the plot was just AWKWARD for me. The lead characters sucked. I mean, the guy seduces so many women and I don't understand what the hell he learned. I can't believe people read more are comparing this drama to Marry Me Mary. I love that drama and it was too sweet to be compared to this one. Coming to IU, fine, fine actress. But the character? UGH. Her character wasn't just immature. It was plain stupid. From the very damn beginning. The lead couple didn't even spend any time together and there was so little chemistry. Ma Te was always busy seducing another woman. And then they're together. JUST WOW. And don't even get me started on Yoo Ra. She was so CREEPY!
Sara
7 of 9 people found this review helpful
Jan 11, 2014
at first i was really looking forward to watch this drama. I love Jan Geun Suk. I really liked the idea of this drama even though the rich guy poor girl kinda thing is worn out for most of the people but if the story is good i really like this concept :).

IU was sooo cute in this drama but the obsession she had for Ma Te was a little annoying read more for me. She wasn't a strong charakter but i thought she was cute and lovable.

The romance between Ma Te and Bo Tong was weak in my opinion. Most of the time Ma Te was busy with sudicing some woman and Bo Tong was hanging out with David so there wasn't much interaction going on with both of them. I liked Bo Tong with David more but he had no chance against Ma Te...... -.-

Only the last 3 episodes made me excited and i wanted to watch more of Bo Tong and Ma Te's relationship.... even though i pitied David for not getting the girl :(

Afterall the Drama was okay. Nothing special but not THAT bad. I give it a 8 cause the last 3 episodes got me excited :)

PS: The names Bo Tong and Ma Te were horrible in my opinion >.< xD
xskdrama
4 of 6 people found this review helpful
Jan 10, 2014
keeping in mind that this is a comic adaptation, the first few episodes i would say had outlandish scenes but keeps to its roots. the characters are not your everyday variety of people but still very much relatable. the trials and triumphs that they go through helps them mature and learn what is valuable in life.
i started totally engaged in this drama. lost my way halfway through. but i am happy read more that i kept on! 16 hours that i invested in this is not wasted time, at all.
it may not be one of the best dramas that i've seen but it is good enough for a rewatch in the future!
Kairiqu
4 of 7 people found this review helpful
Jan 10, 2014
Oh, what a roller coaster this drama has been! What started out as a typical Jan Suk drama, wherein boy overcomes slight obstacles to be with the one he loves, became a twisty, bendy, delicious can't wait edge of your seat drama! Not to say, however, that there weren't problems. Then why, you ask, did I give this drama a nine?
The story started slow, and by the fifth episode, you will read more absolutely DREAD the word socks, as that is all the characters seem to want to talk about. But then a funny thing happens; the main character starts to mature, and LEARN from the women he's sent to seduce; and every time you finish another episode, you learn something with Ma Te. All is not what you expect; everytime you think you've got a handle on what's about to happen, or the storyline starts to go down a predictable situation, it twists itself in a fresh and honest way that I feel will keep you interested and excited in what's happening and what's going to happen next.
What could have been a one note character dialed in by Jan Suk was instead turned into a maturing, layered man by the end of the show; I truly believe that Ma Te was changing throughout the episodes; he was becoming a man, not just a 'pretty' boy, and Jan Suk did a great job once the story started to pick up. You will find yourself with a slight case of second lead syndrome, but this drama isn't about what little romance there is in it...it's about what you can learn from those around you, and about how even the most simplest person can teach you the one thing you need to know to be the best person you are meant to be.
I don't believe I will watch this again; not because it was a bad drama, but because it would cheapen the FEELS and surprises that I've seen; I would think less of the people, and the lessons from the women wouldn't have as much as an impact once you've seen it through the first time. Would I recommend this? Not only have I already done so to a few of my friends, but I would also want to warn you: after around episode 6, plan on setting aside the remaining time to marathon this...it's like a good book you can't put down.
Star-fish
3 of 5 people found this review helpful
May 29, 2014
This drama is a mess. As charming as IU and Jang Geun Suk are, they have zero chemistry going on. In my opinion, this is partly due to that the storyline of this drama can not seem to make up its mind on what it wants to be ; It goes from rom-com to family drama to thriller and back. As a result, it fails to execute any of these things well. read more It does not do any justice to the acting skills of any of the actors either, since much of the plot rests on situations that are forced and too convenient to be believable. Don't mistake me , I like dramas that are a little bit too good to be true , but there has to be some amount of believability in it that makes me want to care for the characters.

I admit I started watching this because Jang Geun Suk and IU sounded like a golden combination , and the concept seemed nice and light-hearted enough for me to give it a go. However, it ended up being one of those dramas that starts all hilarious and from episode 8 or so it goes downhill.
Ultimately I ended up finishing it more out of habit than anything else, because the story bored me to no end. Next time I'd like to see IU in a less cutesy type of role (taking 'Dream High' into account). Here she was just random and a bit of a cheerleader to all the other characters .
She doesn't suddenly have to go all 'femme fatale' but I'd loved to have seen her stand up for herself, at least. And Geun Suk, oh... I love you , but your character did not have any personality aside from his arrogance.

I have seen my fair share of comic book adaptations , and this is definitely not the better of them . 'Boys over Flowers ' is cheesy, yes, but at least it is entertaining. This, however, is a drag to watch.
fmm
3 of 5 people found this review helpful
Jan 10, 2014
Let’s start by put this drama in its right genre which is light melodrama (whatever that means) but it’s applicable I think. And also its right preview. It is about a very beautiful man loved and cherished by every woman who meets him starting from his mother. And the impact he received and gave to those women through his journey to find his parentage secret and his maturity.
The story is interesting read more and was written will. you would think it is a cliché, but every time you predict something it doesn’t happened as the way you predicted. It wasn’t full of surprises but as I said it just isn’t a cliché.
Mate’s character isn’t complicated and in this kind of story far from cliché, he was pretty but not a playboy even innocent somehow, he care for women but not actively like or persuade women. He uses them but not in dishonest or a canny way, he is very honest but not from integrity prospect but it is because he is childishly innocent.
JGS was a perfect choice for this role. he shows the scaling of Mate’s matureness with more mature acting throughout the drama. he was brilliant in most of the drama specially the emotional scenes which were acted in low-keyed and very mature performance. But in some scenes his acting was too low-keyed that you’d think he is one of the extra (harsh, I know but that is because I admire and expect too much from him). I just love his deep voice. wasn’t a fan of the hair changing, it was confusing.
As for Bo Tong’s character, it was refreshingly written and vividly acted. I know that not everything new has to be good, but this character was refreshingly new in a very good way. She is simple but not childish as she seams. She is even more mature than Mate’. She loves him and worship him but she understand him like no other and know his faults and tell him the truth without mincing her words and at the same time let him lei to save fac. The chemistry between the characters (not as much between the actors) is so strong and healthy. IU’s acting was excellent.
David’s character is more mature, charming and kind than Mate’s. but I appreciate that the writer didn’t play the inevitable love triangle that is in every drama, there was one of course but it wasn’t the lead of the events. The actor was good but I did not liked him much maybe because of his silly laugh!!!
And the best actress prize of all (Mommie Dearest) character goes to Kim Bo Yun. What a classy evil, and what a superb performance. The actress and the character gave the drama classiness and depth.
This is not a Cinderella story, it is not even a romance, but a drama that got romance and is funny but not to the extent to became a comedy and it isn’t also a mystery or a thriller. But it has all of that which make it more simple and more entertaining.
-R-L-
11 of 33 people found this review helpful
Dec 26, 2013
First of all, I'm going to apologise for my horrible english ( and please be nice, this is my first review XD ). I decided to write this review not only because i've seen how many people are hesitating to watch this drama but also because the majority who tried to watch it just watched 2 or 3 episodes ( which is not enought to judge ).

The first episodes are annoying read more I can't lie about that, but it starts to get interesting as we watch it.
The character's development is slow but that's good in my opinion ( I can't stand it when a character changes from a big jerk in episode 1 to a cute little bunny in episode 2 ... it seems too unnatural ).The story is quite simple, it's about a perfect guy ( Ma Te/ Jang Geun Suk ) who had a difficult life ( He never met his father and he and his mother were poor )but because of this circumstances he comes to love his mother more than anywone in the world and tries to take advantage of his looks to give her a better life(for the ones who think he's just full of himself, in my opinion, he is not, I think he just depends a lot on his looks because he thinks he can't rely on anything else since people seem to only care about that ( if you watch at least 10 episodes you will understand what I'm saying). One day He meets a mysterious woman who tells him that he is the son of the president of a big company. This woman turns out to be his father's ex-daughter-in-law and now she wants Ma Te's Help in taking revenge of his father's wife who ''destroyed'' her life. Ma te agrees with helping her and this is how the ''adventure'' begins. ( at this rate i will end up telling you all the story so i shall end up here )

Regarding Kim Bo tong (.IU), I love her, she is the cutest character in this drama, I can't understand why people don't like her... I can identify with her because in reality she is nothing more than one hell of a fangirl (just like me XD...everytime she talks about Ma Te I end up thinking if I look like her when I'm talking aboyt my favorite actors XD ) she is funny and lovely I can't hate her XD ( I didn't know .IU, but now I am her fan)

There are a lot of other good characters such as Choi David and Hong Yoo Ra ^^

If you give this drama a chance I know that you will like it ^^

I apologise for my Horrible English again XD
Bedriye
7 of 26 people found this review helpful
Dec 31, 2013
This is the first time that I'm writing a review on a drama.
This had to be done because this drama has become one of my favourite.

I think I fell in love with David ! He has such a beautiful smile. Whenever he smiles I have to smile too, because he is so adorable !^^

Furthermore I think that all actors are doing a great job, especially IU . These kind read more of roles are suiting her better. She is also cute.

The story line is original. It catches you right away! After watching a few episodes you will be eager to know how it will end.

I also like the music in this drama. It's very relaxing.

Overall I think that they have made a good choice by producing this drama.

It's totally worth it!!!!@
WonByungHoon
3 of 8 people found this review helpful
Apr 7, 2014
i love JGS but this drama dragged so much i kept putting it on long for the longest time. things dint start hitting up until the episode with the little brat. IU did a good job acting her part from the beginning. hong yu ra was every bit annoying and sassy that i dint care for her. she had the same makeup, hairstyle and expression throughout and in the latter episodes she read more was either drinking coffee or on the phone. the mother was evil and also had one look throughout the show, the son was just a waste of show, the other kid was alright but the very last scene of the episode is too much, cliche. the last episodes were so rushed it was obvious. in the summary it says ma te seduces 10 women but he actually only does 5 or 6. the others were plugged in out of rush just to fulfill the numbers which dint make sense. anyways its a one time thing im glad its over.
Pretty Boy

KBS2
  • Duration:

60 min.

• Score:

6.7 (scored by 2,943 users)
  • Ranked: