Ping Pong (2002)

devitto
3 of 3 people found this review helpful
Jun 7, 2012
As the title suggests, most of this movie they're just playing ping-pong / table tennis, but it's the bits in between that made me watch and like this movie.
It is all about friendship and passing obstacles to fulfill one's dreams.
I think the acting was really good and I can't say much about the table tennis parts, but it looked quite well-done, too. The music was there, but not really that read more important.
Not only the main, but also the supporting characters were really likeable and well played.
You could call this a slow movie, but it's good nonetheless and full of emotions. :)

(By the way: Watch it and see what difference a hair cut can make to a person. It's amazing.)
hellmiri
5 of 5 people found this review helpful
Apr 4, 2014
This could have simply turned out just as another sports flick about table tennis. However, Fumihiko Sori's "Ping Pong" is much more than that. I’m far from being a table tennis expert. In fact, I never really cared for table tennis at all. If someone had told me that this movie mainly focused on table tennis competitions, that would have probably stopped me from watching it. I’m glad no one did, for read more this film is ultimately about friendship, respect and heroes.

It’s true that the plot has nothing special about it. I’m not particularly familiar with sport flicks, but I presume it’s nothing new. However, I like the way this story is told, and there is some fantastic acting and a great number of enjoyable scenes in this movie.

Both main actors made a fantastic, worth recognizing performance. In a movie that revolves around table tennis, they managed to portrait characters with depth, whose personalities are very peculiar and well-defined. Being familiar with Yosuke Kubozuka’s (Peco) acting, I was expecting his performance to be great. However I was surprised that the rest of the cast lived up to the expectations as well.

Like I said before, I’m no table tennis expert. In spite of that fact, it looked like the scenes where they were playing were really well-made. It was actually enjoyable to watch them and the effects, though nothing special, were just right for the scenes. The soundtrack was fine for the movie. It wasn’t even an original soundtrack but it was always there in the right time and it created the necessary environment.

Overall, it’s a movie I would recommend to everyone. Of course that if you are a table tennis player or you happen to be an enthusiast, you’ll be more likely to enjoy this movie. However and like I said before, I think this is a movie with a deeper meaning and therefore it can be enjoyed by anyone who watches it. It’s about friendship and ambition and also a lesson on fighting for your dreams.
Hawkins
5 of 6 people found this review helpful
Mar 11, 2012
This is actually my favorite movie...period. It's not just a story about ping pong, although the matches are fun to watch. It's a movie about friendship and balance in relationships.

There's a lot of funny nuance to it, even though it seems like a serious drama.

The acting is great, without a doubt. You need to give it a watch at least once.
Ping Pong

Jul 20, 2002
  • Duration:

1 hr. 54 min.

• Score:

7.3 (scored by 127 users)
  • Ranked: