Currently Watching: Can We Love?

Currently Watching:
Can We Love?

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y452/reisette/Can We Love/Can_We_Love-p1_zpsb1a5aec6.jpg
When this guide was written, eight episodes had aired. Please keep this in mind, though I guarantee any spoilers (should they be present) are negligible at worst.

As those familiar with me might already know, I tend to have trouble enjoying romantic dramas. Perhaps it's because of an early overexposure to the various tropes present in the genre, or maybe my standards have become too constrictive. In any case, it seems like forever since the last love-centric drama gripped me. That all changed in 2014, when Can We Love? came to my attention (this user cannot resist Uhm Tae Woong, honestly).

Despite hearing good things about the production staff and how well they'd done with Can We Get Married? I came in fully prepared to cringe and groan. Here comes the real plot twist: even in the first episode or two, that never happened. Instead I found myself confused than an hour had already passed, which morphed into: "I have to wait until next week?"

What is it about, then?

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y452/reisette/Can We Love/Girls_zpscbfecfa1.jpg
Jung Wan, Sun Mi, and Ji Hyun have been friends since high school. They have remained closed even unto the present day, each having crossed the "dreaded" doorway into their late thirties. Can We Love? catches the trio at a crucial time in life and centers on their romances and professional lives. Family also plays a large part in this series, adding another element to what might have been merely a "golden age" romantic tryst.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y452/reisette/Can We Love/Girls-2_zps97dbe621.jpg
When life hasn't gone exactly as you've imagined, can a change in perspective lead you to a renaissance?

Cast of Characters

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y452/reisette/Can We Love/Jung-WAN-1_zps62a99ca8.jpg
as portrayed by the lovely Eugene

Life has been difficult for Jung Wan ever since the divorce. Even though her only child, Tae Keuk, is both brilliant and sweet, she struggles to provide for him as a single mother. Despite her talents as a writer, work in film and television has dried up. Driven by responsibility (and a droplet of desperation), Jung Wan perseveres in both capacities -- in the hope things will start looking up. When a certain company and its affiliated director show interest in her work, they might just.

Her ex-husband, Han Joon Mo, is played by Shim Hyung Tak.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y452/reisette/Can We Love/1_zpsfc86c6ad.jpg
Her hair is to die for in this drama.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y452/reisette/Can We Love/Kyung-1_zps4334752d.jpg
as portrayed by the handsome Uhm Tae Woong

At first glance, Kyung Soo appears to be a perfect example of the stereotypical director. It is assumed he plays around with pretty actresses and has an interminable ego from the get-go. Our first view of him is even on television, as he is honored with an international award. But as things roll along, it becomes apparent there is more to this jovial character than meets the eye. Can we trust what others have assumed, or is that kind of image only scratching the surface?

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y452/reisette/Can We Love/2_zps600eaeba.jpg
When he isn't being adorably impish, he's probably overhearing things (much to his chagrin).

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y452/reisette/Can We Love/Sun-Mi-1_zpsa26b6ba0.jpg
as portrayed by the lovely Kim Yoo Mi

Sun Mi thrives at work, becoming wildly successful in her career as a designer. She is also no stranger to fame and has been featured heavily on television programs. When we meet her, we are shown the portrait of a woman together professionally. But might she be making bad choices when it comes to her private life and relationships?

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y452/reisette/Can We Love/3_zps18b0b0a6.jpg
Sometimes I have to remind myself she isn't actually Jin Sook from Cruel City.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y452/reisette/Can We Love/Yoon1_zpsa34728d3.jpg
as portrayed by the handsome Park Min Woo

Yoon Seuk spends his first scene in tears, confronting the person he loves about what he believes to be an unfortunate choice. We soon learn that he is an assistant to Sun Mi and works at her design firm. He works for her tirelessly, hoping for that capacity to expand beyond work.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y452/reisette/Can We Love/4_zps3aa34557.jpg
The dimple is paramount.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y452/reisette/Can We Love/Kwon-1_zps853fd820.jpg
as portrayed by the lovely Choi Jung Yoon

Unlike friends Sun Mi and Jung Wan, Ji Hyun has no need of work. She married a successful businessman and built an enviable life with him, complete with a beautiful house and two children. But despite how others might view her life, they don't know the painful secrets hidden behind the peaceful facade.

Her daughter, Se Ra (Jin Ji Hee), plays an important role as a supporting character.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y452/reisette/Can We Love/5_zpsc2a24de6.jpg
Pretty smile, seriously.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y452/reisette/Can We Love/Do-Young-1_zps49025974.jpg
as portrayed by the handsome Kim Sung Soo

Head of a respectable film company, Do Young might be the character we know least about. He is made interesting by his history with other characters, including Kyung Soo -- and another, whom you'll have to learn about by watching the series. There is also the fact that he married before, but is now divorced -- to the surprise of all. Who would divorce such a wonderful man and why?

His sister, Kyung Joo (Jang Joon Yu), plays an important role as a supporting character.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y452/reisette/Can We Love/6_zps02945703.jpg
Somehow it's strange to see him without a phone.

Why should you watch this?

...if you're looking for a different kind of romance.
...if you enjoy large casts, well-handled.
...if good pacing and tight story-telling is a must.
...if all-star, perfectly chosen actors and actresses appeal to you.
...if you crave mature stories, with emotional moments as well as comedy.
...if you need chemistry in all directions, whether it be platonic or romantic.
...if you like dramas centered on the female experience.

If you've said yes to the above, then can you love this drama? I think you can. Try it soon and get caught up! We're nearly to the half way point.

Need more convincing?

Here's a trailer!

There are five more available, though these rehash similar scenes.

Aya97 7 days ago

Please write more articles like this! I always find myself checking the dramas you recommend:D

Triskani Feb 10, 2014

It's nice but it could be so much better. Too many unrealistic setups. I watch only because the writer and the director are funny together but I'm not sure about the others. You talk about tropes but what about the

SPOILERS

screaming mother in law being horrible all the time and the crazy daughter and lunatic makjang story involving Ji Hyun?
    There is no excuse for Sun Mi being such a superficial character either. Another problem for me is their friendship not being very real, they never talk about nonsense and real problems and all have this huge secrets from each other, it's just not realistic. Friends don't act like that. I'm tired of watching kareoke and binge drinking as proof of friendship, wish kdramas would get real!

Little-Dream Apr 4, 2014

I'm watching this right now and I'm with you. I was hoping for some kind of "A gentleman's dignity" flow, but it's far from that. There's no commedy relief, and, as you said, it's not realistic and the friendship is not believable... :/

Triskani Feb 10, 2014
    Reveal Spoiler »
    thorified Feb 10, 2014

I want to thank you for posting this article. I've started watching the show after reading it, and have been greatly enjoying it so far. So thank you! <3

BrightestStar Feb 7, 2014

you've just convinced me! XD

mysecretsoul Feb 7, 2014

Yes! My evil plan has gone through swimmingly.... I mean, please enjoy it! I'm glad that my article convinced you. :)

BrightestStar Feb 8, 2014

As much as "Can we get married?" Frustrated me I enjoyed it because of its realism and constant, though growing, characters and the story follows through seemlessly. What i got from your article those good points were carried to that drama. I got no time right now but as soon as I do i'll give it a go (going in my ptw list;)) but yea your evil plan worked :P

dramagirl678 Feb 6, 2014

Mmmm... maybe I'll try this drama out... it seems interesting even with so much casts

mysecretsoul Feb 7, 2014

Even though lately I've been enjoying large casts, this one is particularly well done. I think you'll like it~

dramagirl678 Feb 8, 2014

ok thxs

Dreamer2217 Feb 4, 2014

I love this drama.. I started watching it for kim sung soo but fell in love with..I seems more real than some other romance I have been watching!!

mysecretsoul Feb 5, 2014

Most of the male leads are terribly charming, right? I've actually never seen Sung Soo in anything before, but I'm 100% sold on him now. And the "real-ness" of this drama, especially in romance, is what appeals to me too. :)

KimKim Feb 4, 2014

I've been watching since the 4th episode came out and I love it! This is article captures why this drama is great and folks should watch it ^^ Thank you for this <3

mysecretsoul Feb 5, 2014

Thank you for your kind comment. It's my wish that others try and enjoy this one as well~

trueturquoise Feb 4, 2014

Started watching after reading this article. I am on the third episode and really like it so far! Thank you for the strong recommendation! :)

mysecretsoul Feb 4, 2014

No problem. I'm just glad that after giving it a try, you enjoyed it. Here's to hoping that keeps up, ne? :)

BaoziCactus Feb 3, 2014

I had put this on my 'someday' list but I think I can bump it up a little after reading this article. It seems more interesting now than when I read the original synopsis.

mysecretsoul Feb 3, 2014

Thank you for reading this article! Very glad it helped your decision. Synopses are an important and useful tool, but I've found that actual sampling of the material is best. Some write-ups are just not that great or even a little misleading~

smile4ever Feb 3, 2014

Great article^-^. The drama itself started promising, but it has started to get little boring. I hope that it's going to get better again.

Raincat Feb 3, 2014

... i watch it now, for me too early to say how i like it /stories/. Still acting is good...one thing what i dont like is - all this dramas official posters are so spoilerous. I can already see how it ends ...and this takes half fun away.

Aya97 Feb 3, 2014

I love how you managed this article!!!! And I think I'll give this drama a try.Nowdays I really enjoy multiple cast dramas with a well developed storyline:d

mysecretsoul Feb 3, 2014

Thank you very much! It was tremendously fun to put together, so that it worked for you validates my efforts. :) Here's to hoping you enjoy it! The cast is fantastic.

Bladey Feb 2, 2014

I am glad you are enjoying it :) As for me, hmm.. I think this will be one of those dramas, like Reply1994, that I put off watching indefinitely.

Even though I am very fond of Uhm Tae Woong and I"m kind of half curious to find out what sort of character he plays. Well, will see. I'm only half interested at the moment, no matter what anyone says. Must be my mood.

Hope you'll keep enjoying it until the end, will look forward to reading your final verdict.

mysecretsoul Feb 3, 2014

That can happen sometimes! For instance, I can't bring myself to watch Secret Love despite all the buzz. My "switch" for such stories just isn't on.

notsolittlej Feb 2, 2014

It's my favorite currently airing drama! Everyone should watch it, it's really good. And thanks for the review :)

mysecretsoul Feb 3, 2014

It's my favorite too. Thanks for stopping by to comment~

• 0Published Posts
  • 0Total
  • 0Total Views

mysecretsoul's most recent articles...