Currently Watching: Doctors (aka Doctor Crush)

With a promising beginning, Doctors has, so far, introduced us to a female character whom you can root for, a male protagonist who is an easy match to our badass heroine, and supporting characters who you may hate but cannot help but feel sympathy for.

So let's get down to the details of why you should watch this drama (if you aren't already)!

Doctors (Promotional Poster)

The Plot (as of Episode 3):

A wayward and misunderstood high school girl, Yoo Hye Jung (Park Shin Hye) has a stark perspective on life, with a surly disposition. Carrying her emotional baggage and childhood scars, she is left by her father, at her grandmother's place, after she gets into trouble at her old high school. Her perspective about life begins to change as she meets her mentor and homeroom teacher Hong Ji-Hoon (Kim Rae Won), who plays an instrumental role in her transformation into a compassionate doctor. However, they are forced to part ways after a scandal breaks out and they meet again after thirteen years.

Certain people might have a problem with the teacher-student arc and the age difference.The drama does acknowledge the Lolita complex (but very briefly) and let the audience realize that they are not putting aside the issue of the age gap. Having said that, the age difference should not let you disrupt your viewing of this drama.

WHY YOU SHOULD WATCH THE DRAMA

Our Badass Female Heroine:

Yoo Hye Jung could be the sole reason for you to watch Doctors. Headstrong, feisty and imperfect, Hye Jung immediately intrigued me. With a very pessimistic approach towards life (we cannot really blame her for that, given her unloving family), she handles her own fights and boy, can she fight!

It's not common to see a female character who takes on everything that comes her way without whining or to accept the support of a male character, and that in itself is delightfully refreshing. Moreover, this is a new facet of Park Shin Hye that we see - quite a far-cry from the usual roles where she cries prettily. The way her character is set up, it provides for a huge space for character growth and development. If the beginning of the drama is anything to go by, we can assume that the growth does happen, because she transforms from a "delinquent" with no goals in life to someone who realizes that life has hope, and that there are things worth fighting for in life apart from merely surviving.

Our Charming Male Hero who is a Compassionate Teacher:

Hong Ji-hong is the perfect balance to Hye Jung's character, with a strong moral compass and a compassionate attitude towards his students, he is a friend and a mentor all at once. Of course, he can also become serious and firm when the need arises. Although, he becomes one of the main catalyst (beside her grandmother) for Hye Jung's transformation, Ji-hong comes with his own trauma which will obviously come into play later in the drama.

Hong Ji-hong's character is attractive, especially when he goes into professor-mode. It also helps that Kim Rae Won is extremely pleasing on the eye and the aesthetics every time he comes on-screen is captivating (*sigghhh*).

The Plot:

The plot holds promises of a grand narrative, with much character development and a web of relationships for there is much back story between the main leads. So far, we have been given an exposition to the back story of three of the main leads, and it sets up a strong foundation for the actions in the present to develop and unfurl.The action in the flashback sequence is quite slow-paced for now but it allows the audience to follow Hye Jung's life step-by-step, while also taking in the minute details of the side characters' stories.

The Stellar Acting:

So far, the drama hasn't disappointed on the acting department, which is not really surprising considering that it has an amazing cast. I was a bit apprehensive about Lee Sung Kyung because I did not really enjoy her acting in Cheese in the Trap, but she is putting up quite a good performance; her character and its potential character growth is something I'm quite looking forward to.

The Minor Characters who shouldn't really be minor characters:

pLZOA6x3_01f8ae_f.jpg

Halmeoni (or Halmae, played by Kim Young Ae) is really the catalyst for Hye Jung's change. And she is adorable, besides being the only character aside from Ji-hong who butts head with Hye Jung. Supportive and caring, she is the only family who reaches out to Hye Jung and gets through to her.

PLpnAWD4_d1025e_f.jpg

Just Ji soo. Isn't that reason enough?
I admit I have a soft spot for him and despite his (quite) sleazy character, I cannot help but adore him. In a way, he is an escape for Hye Jung. I cannot believe he is just an additional cast, and I desperately hope he has a bigger role to play.

Other compelling reasons for watching Doctors are interactions like this one:

Bow down to our queen Yoo Hye Jung, for she may be the most kickass female protagonist to grace kdramaland this year.

Despite the age difference, the tension is quite palpable between Hye Jung and Ji-hong, and honestly, I cannot wait to see how their romance develops. With a powerful exposition and a strong premise, Doctors has a lot of potential to become one of the best dramas of 2016.

AdaCakes Jul 18, 2016

Waaaaah this looks so good!

Artis Jul 12, 2016

Once I finish watching BGS , then i guess ill give this a try.

prettytin Jul 8, 2016 - edited

okay, with this article and with the good reviews i'm reading. i'll definitely watch it now

Jemerald523 Jul 7, 2016 - edited

"Just Ji soo. Isn't that reason enough?"

Hahaha nice one..

Honestly I feel hesitant to watch this because I'm really annoyed with Park Shin Hye's acting and drama lately. But after all the recaps and video clips that keep popping on my IG account, I told to myself " Yeah it's pretty good. I think I will try it".

And also like the writer said.. Ji Soo is an enough reason heheheh

scarletquill Jul 8, 2016

Hahahha really, I hope he gets a great story arc. That's more than I can ask for. I still cannot place his role in the grand scheme of things.

mia Jul 6, 2016

Currently watching and it keeps on getting interesting! For people who feel hesitant to watch because Park Shin Hye, I can definitely say this is by far the only drama of her that got me hooked from the first ep!

yoorin21 Jul 6, 2016 - edited

I really want to watch this but in the previous dramas I watched, Park Shin Hye always acts the same way. Like in Heirs and Pinocchio I was so annoyed because I wanted to see her grow as an actress but it was always the same. Can anyone tell me if Park Shin Hye really improves in this drama and if it's worthwhile to watch this? Thanks =)

peacewon Jul 6, 2016

I feel a totally new vibe from her acting here. I was never a fan nor an anti fan before, and I feel she is doing a decent job. Even in her small acting scenes she is more animated. instead of being the silent suffering type she is the strong survivor. I think she is pulling it off nicely which leads me to believe that a lot of her previous roles called for her to be just that, a silent sufferer

scarletquill Jul 6, 2016

I was a bit apprehensive of watching Doctors precisely because I did not want psh to be the pretty crier again but so far, her vibe is completely different from her other roles. I like her character so far!!!

ELF4ever Jul 6, 2016 - edited

Definitely different from her past roles. I love PSH but I was getting tired of her playing such similar roles, but her character in Doctors is completely different and it's absolutely refreshing. She's not some delicate feather like in her previous roles, rather, she's a badass who doesn't take crap from anyone!

Kikka Jul 6, 2016

I'll definitely watch it in one go when it ends, as it really sounds interesting! xD

locksters Jul 6, 2016

Currently watching it and I really love it so far! Park Shin Hye is doing amazing really, i love her facial expressions a lot and she seems to have improved so much. The story line is pretty good too and it has many interesting characters. Definintely going to continue watching it <3

amourexdile Jul 6, 2016 - edited

Sounds interesting. I think I'll give it a try. What is up with the guy's hair in the second picture though? Lol.

scarletquill Jul 6, 2016

hahaha he was getting beaten up by Hye Jung :D

amourexdile Jul 8, 2016

Lol. That fight scene was really spectacular. I was really impressed! I started watching Doctors after reading this article and I'm really impressed so far. Thank you so much for writing this article and introducing me to such a great drama! :)

BANNEDuser Jul 6, 2016 - edited

This is my favorite airing show

scarletquill's most recent articles...