5 Things We Hate To See In A Drama!

5 THINGS WE HATE TO SEE IN A DRAMA

#5: WEAK FEMALE LEAD

No one wants to see a weak-willed female lead in a drama. Aside from the fact that these type of female leads are shown to be incompetent, they also act as doormats taking all kind of craps from people, from the main lead's bitchy ex and family members to the jerk male lead himself. A female lead who's always crying is annoying.

At first, they try to show them as naive, shy introverts. This is all fine and dandy, because those traits are present in people in real-life. Unfortunately, with advancement of each episode she becomes stupider and stupider. Which makes us lose interest in her since we can't fathom someone actually acting that way.

competent+strong+kdrama+female+leads+kdr  fasrer.png?w=535

#4: EVIL MOTHERS

The evil mothers that we encounter in dramaland would give Disney's evil stepmothers a run for their money. We get that in some twisted way they want the best for their children (maybe?), but the things they do will just make you hate them. Though their presence sometimes is necessary for plot development, it still makes our blood boil the second she appears on screen.

Plus trying to separate our OTPs. That's pretty much a crime.

tumblr_m9pn1laYfa1qj7wgmo1_1280.jpg  Eomeoni+kdrama+family+terms+kdrama+fight

#3: STATUE KISSES

Oh, how we despise the statue/frozen kisses. As if waiting for our OTPs to kiss for almost SIX WHOLE EPISODES isn't enough, when they do finally kiss, it's... well, unsatisfactory to say the least. They might as well show two mannequins kissing for all the chemistry we get. And they keep showing the clip for almost a hole minute, making it look like our screen is paused.

Although in new-ish dramas we are starting to get some real kissing, there are still some dramas that haven't moved with the times.

ENPM6_zps0f11666c.jpg  O4Q3Ony.png

tumblr_o9liehjMKi1u7ppjwo1_1280.jpg   tumblr_o9zhf7CQBQ1u7ppjwo1_1280.jpg

#2: SECOND LEAD SYNDROME

There's not a single drama viewer who hasn't experienced SLS. We have all gone through it and know how extremely painful it can be. Knowing that ship is never going to sail... sometimes we drop the whole drama because of it. And even if we do complete it, we're never satisfied by it.

tumblr_m7jlu86AhZ1qj7wgmo1_500.jpg  tumblr_n9l6yri5xf1qj7wgmo1_500.png

13686813_640264942789875_860877065_n.jpg          tumblr_nwp7zkapJy1u7ppjwo1_1280.jpg

#1: TRAGIC ENDING

One thing every drama-fan wishes for is to their OTP to live happily ever after. So of course one thing we most dread is the sad, tragic, or even bittersweet ending in our drama. Sure it occurs less frequently, but when it does, there's no stopping the tears.

Although it's true that some dramas warrant the sad ending they get, it doesn't make it any less painful to watch. No matter how illogical it seems, every fan wants to see their OTP end up together.

5cb8e256c6a28da6627e576adf6850b1.jpg         31726bc2-1c5b-4fdf-91f5-287bb6f181ec.jpg          CITT16.7.gif

Which ones do you hate the most?

PS- I don't own the images, credit goes to the owners

IritZriker 13 days ago

WORD! Couldn't agree more with that list~

bmore 13 days ago - edited

Hate all of these equally. Add in psycho ex or wanna be girlfriends who no one ever talks down and dirty to and my head is about to explode. AND WE ARE ALL STILL WATCHING AND BITCHING!! THE perfect cure for all of these scenarios is Something About 1%. I cannot thank this drama more...which is why I have watched it 8 times! Love love love love love the kisses in this...knee melting! (watch all the kisses replay, including one that got cut, at the end of the final episode) The mom agonizes over being mean and then totally gives in. The lead girl mouths off to both our lead guy and rips his ex....repeatedly. LOVE her to death! Love how he retains his power as a man and at the same time totally turns pathetic when he screws up! The biggest problem with this drama is that they ended up editing OUT so much because the big networks didn't pick it up and it ended up on an unknown broadcaster station. Still...if you haven't watched it and need something to offset your frustration with all these tropes...watch them turn all of them on their heads in this one...it's like they made it just to do that.

Akudie 13 days ago

Hi, is it the 1% anything from 2003? Or the kind of new one?

Alessa 12 days ago

I wanna know too if it's so good! =P

ievutae 13 days ago

I really hate #3 statue kisses. it breaks all emotions of the drama at that moment. And sad to say it but I have seen mostly Park Shin Hye in those kind of kisses. I hope she improves her acting in this thing. Also #4. But I haven't seen many dramas with this concept in a some time. And I kinda like #1. Sometimes I need something to cry my heart out and dramas like Moon Lovers really helps (would be ok if after that drama I wouldn't have felt so depressed).

AneMi 13 days ago - edited

I hate weak female lead ... but wait they are not only weak, they are stupid and not the less AGGRESSIVE! As if being stupid and weak is not enough..they have to show it into an aggressive way!
    I hate statue kisses! I'm sorry but Park Shin Hye is the worst kisser ever in k-dramas! She act like she'll throw up if she's going to open her mouth ..to kiss properly!
    And I hate 30-40 years old female characters acting like virgins! Damn

bmore 13 days ago

LMAO...oh yeah...30+ women in kdrama who are gorgeous (but the drama says they are ugly---as if) and never dated nor kissed anyone...right. That's SO believable. It's been beaten to DEATH!

AneMi 11 days ago

exactly! lol

crimsonskyler 13 days ago

on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being the one i hate the most, its the tragic ending (1), followed by the weak female leads (2) [the source of most of my frustration in dramas], second lead syndrome (2) [I shipped **won with her so hard, I was shocked when it sunk T.T], then the evil mothers (4), and finally, the statue kisses (3) [it doesn't annoy me as much...but i get where you're coming from] ^^

Epiphanie 13 days ago

I agree SO MUCH with this!! Gosh

WhiteLilly 13 days ago - edited

Memory loss kills it all. Why? Because I will still at least START watching them with the problems above. But if I even read "memory loss" in the synopsis, I am like "so outta here". Second worst is weak female lead, of course.

Lili 13 days ago

Oh I agree with you memory loss is so utterly annoying, like everything is fine then memory loss comes up!

PergeBilgesu 13 days ago - edited

I hate 3,4 and 5. And from the bottom of my heart I can say that the 5th one is really getting my nerves.. To be honest I like 1 and 2 ^^

Asianfireflies 13 days ago

I hate #5: WEAK FEMALE LEAD

Aya 13 days ago

A weak female lead is the worst to me, also the rich guy/poor girl cliche starts to become really annoying + when the female lead is constantly followed by gangsters or debts creditors

Meg1014 13 days ago - edited

I hate them all! Just add memory loss to the list. Most overused story line EVER

Aya 13 days ago

So true haha when they add a memory loss part to a synopsis that didn't even need it, it makes me want to throw my computer through the window

totallyclueless 13 days ago

I know Park Shin Hye is very talented but she looks awkward in all her kissing scenes so I can't really watch her in anything :(

AndreParra 13 days ago

I hate when is tragic aaaaall the time like in every episo whe have to see everyone criying and criying and everyone dies of cancer ... is just so bad !

displacedmoon 13 days ago - edited

i don't mind tragic endings. and the evil stepmothers are sometimes so terrible, that its almost comical. i'll allow statue kisses if it's a school drama -- can't have high schoolers getting too racy. lol. but weak female leads are a definite no-no. and second lead syndrome always hits hard when you're on the sinking ship. rip chilbong -- three years later and i'm still feeling this one.

also not a fan of the twisted ankle and the drunk piggy back ride.

Rouzmary 13 days ago

I hate all of them!

Well...maybe not the sad endings, sometimes they are warranted, thou obviously I don't like them

And 2nd lead syndrome...most of the time...nah, don't hate it either, 'cuz pretty often if the guy couldn't work up his guts to confess before the male lead arrived, whatever, serves him right (but not always)

but stupid - dumb -doormat - weak - annoying female leads? Oh yeah, that's my #1 hate forever and ever! Despise those!

AnanyaS's most recent articles...