5 Things We Hate To See In A Drama!

5 THINGS WE HATE TO SEE IN A DRAMA

#5: WEAK FEMALE LEAD

No one wants to see a weak-willed female lead in a drama. Aside from the fact that these type of female leads are shown to be incompetent, they also act as doormats taking all kind of craps from people, from the main lead's bitchy ex and family members to the jerk male lead himself. A female lead who's always crying is annoying.

At first, they try to show them as naive, shy introverts. This is all fine and dandy, because those traits are present in people in real-life. Unfortunately, with advancement of each episode she becomes stupider and stupider. Which makes us lose interest in her since we can't fathom someone actually acting that way.

competent+strong+kdrama+female+leads+kdr  fasrer.png?w=535

#4: EVIL MOTHERS

The evil mothers that we encounter in dramaland would give Disney's evil stepmothers a run for their money. We get that in some twisted way they want the best for their children (maybe?), but the things they do will just make you hate them. Though their presence sometimes is necessary for plot development, it still makes our blood boil the second she appears on screen.

Plus trying to separate our OTPs. That's pretty much a crime.

tumblr_m9pn1laYfa1qj7wgmo1_1280.jpg  Eomeoni+kdrama+family+terms+kdrama+fight

#3: STATUE KISSES

Oh, how we despise the statue/frozen kisses. As if waiting for our OTPs to kiss for almost SIX WHOLE EPISODES isn't enough, when they do finally kiss, it's... well, unsatisfactory to say the least. They might as well show two mannequins kissing for all the chemistry we get. And they keep showing the clip for almost a hole minute, making it look like our screen is paused.

Although in new-ish dramas we are starting to get some real kissing, there are still some dramas that haven't moved with the times.

ENPM6_zps0f11666c.jpg  O4Q3Ony.png

tumblr_o9liehjMKi1u7ppjwo1_1280.jpg   tumblr_o9zhf7CQBQ1u7ppjwo1_1280.jpg

#2: SECOND LEAD SYNDROME

There's not a single drama viewer who hasn't experienced SLS. We have all gone through it and know how extremely painful it can be. Knowing that ship is never going to sail... sometimes we drop the whole drama because of it. And even if we do complete it, we're never satisfied by it.

tumblr_m7jlu86AhZ1qj7wgmo1_500.jpg  tumblr_n9l6yri5xf1qj7wgmo1_500.png

13686813_640264942789875_860877065_n.jpg          tumblr_nwp7zkapJy1u7ppjwo1_1280.jpg

#1: TRAGIC ENDING

One thing every drama-fan wishes for is to their OTP to live happily ever after. So of course one thing we most dread is the sad, tragic, or even bittersweet ending in our drama. Sure it occurs less frequently, but when it does, there's no stopping the tears.

Although it's true that some dramas warrant the sad ending they get, it doesn't make it any less painful to watch. No matter how illogical it seems, every fan wants to see their OTP end up together.

5cb8e256c6a28da6627e576adf6850b1.jpg         31726bc2-1c5b-4fdf-91f5-287bb6f181ec.jpg          CITT16.7.gif

Which ones do you hate the most?

PS- I don't own the images, credit goes to the owners

tomatipasta Jan 8, 2017 - edited

Hmm, my dislikes would be:
    1) bad acting (can ruin anything)
    2) the last third of almost any korean drama or last half of any taiwanese drama (this is usually the part when the couple has fallen in love, but everything including evil mothers and amnesia etc starts getting in their way)
    3) too simple-minded or kind-hearted female leads... just lame, can't seem to feel for them
    4) whiny second male leads (they tend to fall to easily and be too clingy)
    5) evil without motivation or any real reason characters (sometimes they exist, and it makes no sense as to why they do all the evil deeds they do)

Akaisora Jan 8, 2017

Evil without motivation, that's a good one. I really enjoy ambiguous or even downright evil characters if they're acted well and their motivations or reasons for their behaviour or emotional unstability etc. are shown.

purplenette Jan 8, 2017

I love all Asian cliches in dramas...it is the whole point of me watching them. Otherwise I would just watch USA television.

However, I do dislike weak female leads to a certain degree.
    I love bitchy mothers and mother-n-laws...nothing like my love to hate.
    Statue kisses suck.
    I rarely have second lead syndrome.
    The more tragic the ending the better. :-)

I agree with Akaisora about time skips or jumps...sometimes they can be really annoying.

Akaisora Jan 8, 2017 - edited

My personal dislikes, top 5:

5.) A woman chasing the man obsessively.
    4.) Crazy mothers.
    3.) Long time-skips.
    2.) B*tchy female side-characters.
    1.) AMNESIA.

Edit: oh, and a special mention goes to: SIDEWALKS/STREET CROSSINGS ARE A SIGN OF DEATH AND DOOM. (By now, I can pretty much predict if a character will get hit by a car, simply by the setting and/or camera techniques in the scene... xD)

KoriNeko18 Jan 8, 2017

oh your #5 yes! I hate when the girls are obsessed or even when the guys are orz

Trouble-chan Jan 8, 2017 - edited

Oh my God you are SO right - this is so TRUE. The crazy mothers - I mean seriously, I AM a mother to a 19 year old daughter and I can ASSURE you I would NEVER, EVER do even ONE of the mental things they do to kids they say they love. I've also learnt one thing - as you point out so well - even if there's not a single car/bike/pedestrian (except for the main couple) for MILES crossing the street in ANY East Asian country means that you're liable to die or be horribly maimed by being hit/barged/jostled into the road if you're a lead character (especially a female lead). I mean HOW does that even happen? Do the cars/bikes/running pedestrians just TELEPORT to that location and suddenly all converge on our hapless hero or heroine?

However I have to say my personal best PET HATE of all these - and probably linked to SLS - is the woman who turns down and subsequently friend-zones the sweet natured, kind, considerate, thoughtful and loving Second Lead to remain with the bullying, rude, cold, unfeeling, narcissistic JERK Main Lead. I'm sorry but WHY.....what I mean is if....No, no....just WHY? WHO does that? Seriously WHO? Especially on the odd occasion the Second Lead musters up the courage (and the equipment) to escape the Friend Zone; she just wrangles him BACK in there! It's usually at that point the last gif above is basically me......."there aren't enough curse words in the world for me right now".......*face palms* I am now going to lie down in a nicely darkened room with a big bar of chocolate and cry over the insanity!. ;)

Sapir Jan 8, 2017

So true for every single catagory. Loved it!

AnanyaS's most recent articles...