6 Ways Dramas Make You Doubt Yourself!

I know it's fiction. I know it's all made up and the standards and circumstances are completely unrealistic. However, somewhere around hour thirty of a five-day dramathon, the lines between drama and reality become blurred and I start to ask myself questions like these...

1. Am I bad with money?

In City Hunter, Kim Na Na was so broke she tried to pay for her father's treatment in tears but was always well dressed. In Mary Stayed Out All Night, our heroine was so broke, her father pretty much sold her (and her impressive collection of crocheted clothing) to his rich friend, but she still had a smartphone - AND it had service! In Office Girls, super frugal Xing Ren shares a pretty spacious and awesome apartment with one of her co-workers, something I know can't be cheap in a country the size of Kentucky. The poorer citizens of dramaland somehow manage their limited funds in such a way as to not only have an expensive cell phone, but also a pretty sweet wardrobe and other perks that seem impossible on a budget. No one is that good with money, but I've watched so much drama I feel like I should be.

l4jWg5R1_2b8980_f.jpg

Sporadically employed, but has a phone that can take good pictures in a dark crowded room from at least 30 feet away? In 2010? What am I doing wrong?

2. Am I unfashionable?

I've always been a fashion risk taker, I like accessories and bright colors, shiny things. I've even had a few rings that lit up. The stars of Asia make me doubt my fashion sense. I watch all the rich fashionistas of drama land parade before me and I want to find their Bedazzler and break it. I want to explain that any color that resembles vomit is not ok. Office attire that reminds me of the 80s is also unacceptable. And it's not just the ladies. By the end of Heirs, I got Stockholm syndrome and started liking Lee Min Ho's sweaters. After a while, you start to wonder if the clothes are really as ugly as you think they are or if you're just blind to real style. There are obviously many well-paid professionals behind these outfits. surely they know what they're doing…right?

d3kN898L_4d9c83_f.jpg

This was never cool.  I don't care how famous you are.

3. Am I going to die?

Forget traveling to Asia. Everyone gets sick so easily in dramaland, they must have some as yet undiscovered super bugs over there. Being outside for more than a few hours is enough to do it! Too hot? Ya faint. Too cold? Ya faint. Just got bad news? You have about a 50% chance of falling over!  And they've got some sort of nastiness that gives you a nose bleed if you're stressed! How are these people still alive?! Germs travel, and I'm starting to worry that without the immunities that allow the people of dramaland to recover from damn near anything with an attractive caretaker and a good night's sleep, I could not survive an outbreak of the virus the causes fainting spells if you walk in the rain or fall asleep on the couch.

b4q8alG3_98aa49_f.jpg

Does it even get cold in Thailand? I'm pretty sure rice porridge does not cure malaria.

4. Do I exfoliate enough?

I'm talking about scouring your skin off with what can only be described as sandpaper on a regular basis. Don’t feel bad, neither did I until I started watching dramas. It seems silly and unnecessary until you start thinking about the fact that Asian people don’t get visibly older between the ages of 40 and 70. They must know something we don’t. And thanks to dramaland, now I know that when it comes to exfoliation if it doesn’t hurt you aren't doing it right.

r1xEG09L_399028_f.jpg

Beauty is pain, Oppa.

5. Am I fat and ugly?

I've always been pretty confident about my looks. Until I started watching dramas, that is. Gil Ra Im is HOT. Kim Sam Soon was handled as if she were a freaking whale. I know plenty of women who would be stoked to have her figure. If I.U is ugly then I'm a troll.

jLl7BrD1_eb0c4c_f.jpg

6. Am I generally a bad person?

When I watch dramas all the perky, work till you bleed, never say die, endure it all, cry pretty when you're alone drama heroines make me think I'm not trying hard enough. If my man's mom tried to pay me to go away I'd either slap her with her envelope or take it and bolt. Depends on how much I liked him. Speaking of slapping as an ignorant pugilistic American if someone slaps me I'm PUNCHING them back. If my BOSS hits me I'm suing him and the entire company for all they are worth. I can't understand the Zen that allows these chicks to just stand there and let someone scream at them.

b3EzRZy4_b0a891_f.jpg

What I would do to the first crappy mall patron who tried to return damaged merchandise. No apologies.

bahar Apr 24, 2017

I agree a lot!!

darkangel662008 Feb 28, 2017

As always another nice and spot on article, I've enjoyed reading it, thank you!
    No. 1 & 2 makes me nod in agreement and remembered how it was the opposite in Japanese drama.

StephStephieTeff Feb 23, 2017

I have never had one of these thoughts before, but I found this article very fun to read! The exfoliating one! They really do go hard out!

Mica Feb 23, 2017 - edited

Agree with everything except #6. I think it might be a general Asian thing to take screaming/ yelling from bosses/ higher ups esp when you live there (in Korea). Been in that situation, listened to the yelling and moved on. It's you who has to have a strong enough mentality to stand it and move past it.

cityhunter83 Feb 25, 2017

yes, their culture is built on a system of seniority, but often in dramas they show characters not just taking the abuse and moving on but accepting the blame and consequences for others, failing to defend themselves or explain a misunderstanding and even defending the aggressor and rationalizing the behavior. this is obviously an idealized response to being fired because a lunatic assaulted you because you followed company policy.

letting people treat you like crap is not, in my opinion, a question of mental fortitude. yes, we all get reamed at work from time to time, but being hit crosses the line into the realm of the illegal.

anyong Feb 20, 2017 - edited

drama title of pic #6?

ikki94 Feb 20, 2017

It's a movie called "Jackal is Coming"

SmileHoney Feb 18, 2017

Great article! :D

louloudi Feb 17, 2017 - edited

I could not stop laughing with your article. Especially no 5 with what Koreans think its fat and ugly.

CatoCat Feb 17, 2017

Quality Article in a while. Sarcastic but hits right on target.

SATHYA Feb 17, 2017

agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!!!!!!!!!

darkn3ss Feb 16, 2017

OMG girl I'm so on the same wavelength as you for # 1 trough 6 expect #2 I never get taken in by the crazy fashion once I'm on course to thinking it's bad it's until the end. But Girl Yes to everything else.

emylan Feb 16, 2017

Agree with every word!

rationalbeings Feb 16, 2017 - edited

Loved this article, esp these two points; Am I fat/ugly and Am I generally a bad person. Sometimes you watch these forever cheerful never gonna say die female leads and you are like...do people like this exist and if they do....how does one become like them? I love my dramas but there are times where i have had to slap myself back into reality and remember that no one is that one dimensional.
    Also the nosebleed one! After kdramas I have come to expect nosebleeds as the most normal part of life even though I have never ever experienced one!

cityhunter83 Feb 16, 2017

i'm trying to understand the logic behind the idea that you get a nose bleed when you are fatigued/ stressed. that's not how the human body works lol

amourexdile Feb 19, 2017 - edited

I must be Asian. I get nosebleeds when I am stressed and/or sleep deprived. Exam time? Nosebleed. Very sleep deprived? Nosebleed. Yeah, I don't get it either.

AmySal Feb 16, 2017 - edited

Can anyone tell interesting dramas to watch? Any language

cityhunter83 Feb 16, 2017

You should go check out the recommendation forums, they are the general Asian category.

Gaelush Feb 16, 2017

well said @cityhunter83

Yatyear Feb 15, 2017

Reminds me of "Goblin" where the super poor girl appears in new clothes in every scene

cityhunter83's most recent articles...