Currently Watching: Everyone’s Getting Married

Currently Watching: Everyone’s Getting Married

PL67WJx3_8310d4_f.jpg

Hey there, drama fans!

This 2017 Japanese drama is newly released with just a few episodes aired but here are some reasons why it’s worth checking out!

The story might sound familiar to you, especially if you followed the manga (with the story and art by Izumi Miyazono). It's always a sweet satisfaction when you see your manga OTP in a live action production, especially if they are well-cast and bring the chemistry of the written text to life through well-acted emotions.

mLAKqaN4_3c4a51_f.jpg

71gjRzY4_05fcc0_f.jpg

Visually, the leads are an attractive pair that compliments each other nicely.

In most adaptations, while the main plot line of the story stays the same, there are some slight changes that aren't carried over from book to screen. But nevertheless, here we have a current adaptation!

It’s no surprise that the hot topic of this drama is marriage. This paves the way for lots of romance, drama, and character conflicts.

O38qwdO4_de4983_f.jpg

What is marriage and what does it mean to different people? Some marry for business gain, others because it is convenient, some marry out of love, some are forced into it, and others try to avoid it like the plague. There are many reasons why someone chooses to marry.

Marriage is one of the most important parts of life for our female lead, as she is at an age where she feels that she should be settling down, but she also has another very specific reason.

pLZvwBNL_f8b16f_f.jpg

Female lead Takanashi Asuka (played by Nishiuchi Mariya) is successful and talented at her job. But thanks to the sweet, warm and loving home she grew up in, her main goal is to put her success aside and become a full-time housewife. She wants to provide a similarly loving environment, a home oasis for her husband. However, her boyfriend of 5 years dumps her in the same spot they had their first date at, quite tactless on his part.

D3m85K7L_d49905_f.jpg

But this is the opening for a new love interest! Male lead Nanami Ryu (played by Yamamura Ryuta) fills that void when the two first meet, and when they repeatedly encounter each other after that.

While Asuka's friends also have different views on marriage – some are all for it, some comfortable the way they are, some already tying the knot, – Nanami is not sold on marriage. The stirring of conflict in their opinions forces them to think about the subject and come to understand each other.

P4Y70RzL_b1afe6_f.jpg

01ej2xwL_94bfbd_f.jpg

Could they really be a compatible pairing?

VLQlXDq1_7d4e9a_f.jpg

They sure seem to run into each a lot because of their intertwining social circles.

E1VvGoj1_436dcd_f.jpg

These kinds of conflicts are interesting to watch, because who will accommodate whom and will they compromise for love?

z1dpoPJ1_26b995_f.jpg

Y4BQonK3_6af099_f.jpg

The concept is sweet, and while it might have that familiar feeling we’ve seen before in other ‘marriage’ dramas, this drama is worth checking out!

PLpGpkJ1_475f64_f.jpg

There is also this strange habit of his. :)

W19XO2R4_a00a13_f.jpg

If you give Everyone's Getting Married a try, let me know what you think.

RisefromBlackAshes Feb 26, 2017

Thanks for recommending this! I just recently caught up with it and wasn't disappointed!

Mica Feb 23, 2017 - edited

The male lead in this drama is so hot~~~ I've been fall more and more in love with him each ep!! <3 <3 <3 He's doing extremely well for a first time actor!

Pata Feb 24, 2017

If you don't know him, check out flumpool (music band) and you'll fall in love with him again, haha.

Wafha_Kamenashi Feb 21, 2017 - edited

I already starting watching this drama so far i love the story but i stop on ep. because i cannot find a website where i can watch the latest ep. with english sub.

dreamscatcher Feb 22, 2017

u can watch in kissasian.com its a very good website

cynthia Feb 21, 2017

It seems very interesting I'll try it

Fortuna Feb 20, 2017 - edited

After Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu, I think I'll pick this up. Ryuuta of Flumpool~ ^^

mgracec07 Feb 20, 2017

I love the manga and the drama adaptation. Im inlove with this one.

DarioAdrewsky Feb 20, 2017

looking great

Rigby Feb 19, 2017

I am hooked totally hooked for this...the leads are just perfect! They look good together in screen. I like them very much. I just hate that I have to wait for a week for AN episode to be aired, it's torture actually, but I am not complaining totally hihihi...

Nana8 Feb 18, 2017

For some reason I thought this was going to be out in March haha now I don't know if I should start watching it or wait until it's over XD

RisefromBlackAshes Feb 17, 2017

I saw it's one of the more popular ones this season, so I'll have to give it a shot! With you article written it gave me more reason to do so!

Sarahs Feb 17, 2017

Love both the manga and the drama so far.

akai-kitsune Feb 17, 2017

I'm reading this one. Maybe I'll try the drama out.

silent_whispers Feb 16, 2017

I'm really enjoying it. It's ton of fun and it's a great re-introductory back to J-dramas. The leads really do have great chemistry.

userbmc Feb 16, 2017 - edited

I just started this today and I am liking it do far. I knew the story before because I read a little of the manga, and seeing the clichês, I have my guess about the end. I think we just have to wait and see. Just one thought, japanese dramas are really aiming for the "create a family/get married/housewife" theme this year? I just watched the other drama about this... maybe the country's situation have something to do about this? Just a coincidence?

theairtwit Feb 16, 2017 - edited

I wondered if asuka would consider that she doesn't need marriage to achieve her end goal of creating a warm, loving home with family, but---although I'm ignorant on specifications---I know that would create issues later on, like with the koseki system. regardless, I am interested to watch asuka & ryu grow individually---& how that may alter their current conflicting views---along with the development of their relationship. I love their honest and upfront approaches, & that they're together out of mutual interest & affection despite knowing that they ultimately want two different things. I look forward to seeing where they end up, but in general I just look forward to seeing them. they're freaking adorable together.

I'm also responsive toward asuka's housewife dream. it's a traditional role that a lot of people look down on, but if that's the lifestyle someone chooses & it makes them happy then good for them. being a housewife isn't what I want to be, but I hate seeing housewives & stay-at-home moms belittled or shamed for choosing a traditional role, so, yeah, I am enjoying asuka quite a bit. she feels fresh since many of the shows I watch depict working women, children or no children, & so it's nice to see someone who has opposite life goals with a narrative that supports those dreams.

Dani Feb 17, 2017

@theairtwit
      Same here, I love how the show portrays Asuka's goals~ She doesn't see herself as giving up anything to become a housewife; for her, it's a fulfilling role she aspires to, thanks to the example her mother set for her. She wants to marry for love and raise children in the manner she was raised, and that's something I can respect. Housewives are often viewed as dependant, uneducated, and unaccomplished--sometimes even lazy (wanting a "life of leisure" versus a career), so this take on it is pretty refreshing! And most importantly, Asuka has people around her who respect her and her views, even if they want different things for themselves.

theairtwit Feb 17, 2017 - edited

@Dani exactly! & I think part of that negative view toward housewifery comes from this idea that it's somehow anti-progressive. it's a "we've fought to attain these rights & freedom; why are you still in the kitchen?" sort of thing that gets bundled with very degrading stereotypes. I just feel like that within this continuing struggle for equality comes autonomy. if a woman decides, for & by herself, that being a housewife is what she wants---just like others decide they want to be doctors, lawyers, engineers, or, heck, even fashion models---what business do other have in looking down on her? because she has every right to want to be whatever she chooses, & that includes being a housewife/stay-at-home mom.

so re: this drama, it's great that everyone around asuka thinks no less of her for wanting to be a housewife---especially ryu. even tho he has no intention of marrying atm, he likes her for who she is & respects her dream. (which, also, creates an interesting contrast between the two of them that keeps me wondering how they'll work it out, unless ryu is the one to change his mind or middle ground is reached.)

Dani Feb 18, 2017 - edited

Yeah, exactly! Couldn't have said it better~

And I'm wondering the same thing about the lead characters... I can't predict what will happen with their relationship in the end, and whether or not they can reconcile their values...! Definitely makes things interesting!

Selty Feb 18, 2017

I realllly want to read what you guys wrote but at the same time I'm so lazy and already busy contemplating my meaningless existence.

Dani Feb 22, 2017

hahaha they're lengthy posts so it's understandable XD;;

HappySqueak's most recent articles...