Currently Watching: Everyone’s Getting Married

Currently Watching: Everyone’s Getting Married

PL67WJx3_8310d4_f.jpg

Hey there, drama fans!

This 2017 Japanese drama is newly released with just a few episodes aired but here are some reasons why it’s worth checking out!

The story might sound familiar to you, especially if you followed the manga (with the story and art by Izumi Miyazono). It's always a sweet satisfaction when you see your manga OTP in a live action production, especially if they are well-cast and bring the chemistry of the written text to life through well-acted emotions.

mLAKqaN4_3c4a51_f.jpg

71gjRzY4_05fcc0_f.jpg

Visually, the leads are an attractive pair that compliments each other nicely.

In most adaptations, while the main plot line of the story stays the same, there are some slight changes that aren't carried over from book to screen. But nevertheless, here we have a current adaptation!

It’s no surprise that the hot topic of this drama is marriage. This paves the way for lots of romance, drama, and character conflicts.

O38qwdO4_de4983_f.jpg

What is marriage and what does it mean to different people? Some marry for business gain, others because it is convenient, some marry out of love, some are forced into it, and others try to avoid it like the plague. There are many reasons why someone chooses to marry.

Marriage is one of the most important parts of life for our female lead, as she is at an age where she feels that she should be settling down, but she also has another very specific reason.

pLZvwBNL_f8b16f_f.jpg

Female lead Takanashi Asuka (played by Nishiuchi Mariya) is successful and talented at her job. But thanks to the sweet, warm and loving home she grew up in, her main goal is to put her success aside and become a full-time housewife. She wants to provide a similarly loving environment, a home oasis for her husband. However, her boyfriend of 5 years dumps her in the same spot they had their first date at, quite tactless on his part.

D3m85K7L_d49905_f.jpg

But this is the opening for a new love interest! Male lead Nanami Ryu (played by Yamamura Ryuta) fills that void when the two first meet, and when they repeatedly encounter each other after that.

While Asuka's friends also have different views on marriage – some are all for it, some comfortable the way they are, some already tying the knot, – Nanami is not sold on marriage. The stirring of conflict in their opinions forces them to think about the subject and come to understand each other.

P4Y70RzL_b1afe6_f.jpg

01ej2xwL_94bfbd_f.jpg

Could they really be a compatible pairing?

VLQlXDq1_7d4e9a_f.jpg

They sure seem to run into each a lot because of their intertwining social circles.

E1VvGoj1_436dcd_f.jpg

These kinds of conflicts are interesting to watch, because who will accommodate whom and will they compromise for love?

z1dpoPJ1_26b995_f.jpg

Y4BQonK3_6af099_f.jpg

The concept is sweet, and while it might have that familiar feeling we’ve seen before in other ‘marriage’ dramas, this drama is worth checking out!

PLpGpkJ1_475f64_f.jpg

There is also this strange habit of his. :)

W19XO2R4_a00a13_f.jpg

If you give Everyone's Getting Married a try, let me know what you think.

Fortuna 11 hours ago - edited

After Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu, I think I'll pick this up. Ryuuta of Flumpool~ ^^

mgracec07 21 hours ago

I love the manga and the drama adaptation. Im inlove with this one.

DarioAdrewsky 23 hours ago

looking great

Rigby 2 days ago

I am hooked totally hooked for this...the leads are just perfect! They look good together in screen. I like them very much. I just hate that I have to wait for a week for AN episode to be aired, it's torture actually, but I am not complaining totally hihihi...

Nana8 3 days ago

For some reason I thought this was going to be out in March haha now I don't know if I should start watching it or wait until it's over XD

RisefromBlackAshes 4 days ago

I saw it's one of the more popular ones this season, so I'll have to give it a shot! With you article written it gave me more reason to do so!

Sarahs 4 days ago

Love both the manga and the drama so far.

akai-kitsune 4 days ago

I'm reading this one. Maybe I'll try the drama out.

silent_whispers 4 days ago

I'm really enjoying it. It's ton of fun and it's a great re-introductory back to J-dramas. The leads really do have great chemistry.

userbmc 4 days ago - edited

I just started this today and I am liking it do far. I knew the story before because I read a little of the manga, and seeing the clichês, I have my guess about the end. I think we just have to wait and see. Just one thought, japanese dramas are really aiming for the "create a family/get married/housewife" theme this year? I just watched the other drama about this... maybe the country's situation have something to do about this? Just a coincidence?

theairtwit 4 days ago - edited

I wondered if asuka would consider that she doesn't need marriage to achieve her end goal of creating a warm, loving home with family, but---although I'm ignorant on specifications---I know that would create issues later on, like with the koseki system. regardless, I am interested to watch asuka & ryu grow individually---& how that may alter their current conflicting views---along with the development of their relationship. I love their honest and upfront approaches, & that they're together out of mutual interest & affection despite knowing that they ultimately want two different things. I look forward to seeing where they end up, but in general I just look forward to seeing them. they're freaking adorable together.

I'm also responsive toward asuka's housewife dream. it's a traditional role that a lot of people look down on, but if that's the lifestyle someone chooses & it makes them happy then good for them. being a housewife isn't what I want to be, but I hate seeing housewives & stay-at-home moms belittled or shamed for choosing a traditional role, so, yeah, I am enjoying asuka quite a bit. she feels fresh since many of the shows I watch depict working women, children or no children, & so it's nice to see someone who has opposite life goals with a narrative that supports those dreams.

Dani 4 days ago - edited

@Ceki
      I agree that being dependant on one spouse for income is a risk, and certainly something I wouldn't personally feel comfortable doing if I were to marry in future. Asuka is a character who is clearly educated and successful at her job but it is still a risk; we can even say that planning to abandon her accomplishments to become a housewife is fanciful of her. (If Asuka's views remain unchanged at the end of the series, I do hope she goes into marriage with some money saved up as a safety net lol~) And for women who choose to be a housewife only to end up divorced, entering or re-entering the workforce after a certain age can be difficult since there is a lot of age discrimination in Japan, especially towards women.

Even so, we can't say that absolutely every woman who wants to become a housewife "can only end up hurt later on," as you claim. Obviously some such marriages end in divorce and unhappiness (I have seen it too) but not all of them do. And for some, it's worth the risk. I believe it's possible for one to have both marriage and career and still provide a caring home for children, given the right circumstances--but for some, this is a challenge. Also bear in mind that in Japan, it's still very common for married men to leave most or all of the cooking and housework to their wives, even in cases where the wife works full-time (ridiculous, I know!)... Considering that, it's understandable that some women in Japan give up their careers when they become wives and mothers.

Yes, Japanese society has seen a lot of change in its attitude towards married women in the workplace but there is still a long way to go. For instance, some employers still demote women or put pressure on them to quit their job when they ask for maternity leave. Many women in Japan put off marriage and children so they can focus on their careers and continue working without that pressure. This is one of the major reasons the birth rate in Japan has been in decline. :/

I respect your opinion, Ceki, and you don't have to like or agree with the goals of the lead character in this drama but I hope you can see that choosing to be a housewife and/or a stay-at-home-mother is not a case of "the wrong choice" versus "the right choice." By that logic, if a woman happily lives out her days after becoming a housewife and stay-at-home-mother, wouldn't that make her choice the "right" one? ;) I agree that the lifestyle choice involves more risk but it's impossible to say that all women who aim to be housewives are doomed to be unhappy and divorced.

Dani 4 days ago

@theairtwit
      Same here, I love how the show portrays Asuka's goals~ She doesn't see herself as giving up anything to become a housewife; for her, it's a fulfilling role she aspires to, thanks to the example her mother set for her. She wants to marry for love and raise children in the manner she was raised, and that's something I can respect. Housewives are often viewed as dependant, uneducated, and unaccomplished--sometimes even lazy (wanting a "life of leisure" versus a career), so this take on it is pretty refreshing! And most importantly, Asuka has people around her who respect her and her views, even if they want different things for themselves.

theairtwit 3 days ago - edited

@Dani exactly! & I think part of that negative view toward housewifery comes from this idea that it's somehow anti-progressive. it's a "we've fought to attain these rights & freedom; why are you still in the kitchen?" sort of thing that gets bundled with very degrading stereotypes. I just feel like that within this continuing struggle for equality comes autonomy. if a woman decides, for & by herself, that being a housewife is what she wants---just like others decide they want to be doctors, lawyers, engineers, or, heck, even fashion models---what business do other have in looking down on her? because she has every right to want to be whatever she chooses, & that includes being a housewife/stay-at-home mom.

so re: this drama, it's great that everyone around asuka thinks no less of her for wanting to be a housewife---especially ryu. even tho he has no intention of marrying atm, he likes her for who she is & respects her dream. (which, also, creates an interesting contrast between the two of them that keeps me wondering how they'll work it out, unless ryu is the one to change his mind or middle ground is reached.)

Dani 3 days ago - edited

Yeah, exactly! Couldn't have said it better~

And I'm wondering the same thing about the lead characters... I can't predict what will happen with their relationship in the end, and whether or not they can reconcile their values...! Definitely makes things interesting!

Selty 2 days ago

I realllly want to read what you guys wrote but at the same time I'm so lazy and already busy contemplating my meaningless existence.

forever_shawol 4 days ago

love this drama so much!!

Absent 5 days ago - edited
    Reveal Spoiler »
      theairtwit 4 days ago

I share the same thought regarding her mentality of wanting or hoping to change ryu's perspective on marriage. granted that I don't know anything about the manga or how closely the show follows it, I wonder where the main couple will end up in terms of growth & their differing outlooks.

Dani 4 days ago

Agreed! And I'm kind of interested in reading the manga too~ I'll try to hold off until I've finished the series hehe ;D

Euns 5 days ago

I'm following it and I love it so far ❤

rosyprincess 5 days ago

❤❤❤

HappySqueak's most recent articles...