The Time I Fell in Love with a Story

Valentine Day was on 14th February and the best way to celebrate, it's by watching dramas that are made for this day! So here are some versions of the same story that I enjoyed watching.

Am I crazy? This is my question because I've watched almost every version or remake ever made of the same story. Maybe I am so in love with the plot that I don’t get bored. The girl that falls in love with the bad boy, dramatic altercation, and miraculously she moves in the boy house (if this happened to me in real life I think I would have a heart attack) because her house is destroyed by a fire or even worst a meteorite that destroyed the house (Are you kidding me? Only through divine intervention would my house get destroyed by a meteorite and I move in the house with the handsome guy I'm in love with). And after the girl moves in the house the love story begins.

It Started with a Kiss (2005)

X3b9GbvL_ad2ec9_f.jpg

The first drama I saw was the Taiwanese version and I fell in love with the story and characters. How did I end up watching it? It’s very simple: because of the boy band, I was listening to at the time, Fahrenheit.Two members (Jiro Wang and Aaron Yan) were in the drama. Obviously, I started watching it, but later the main actor got my attention.

It Started with a Kiss I think it’s the funniest version and I remember how funny and cute Lin Ariel and Cheng Joe were. They did a great job portraying the characters, and the family was so hilariously. They bring an extra dimension to the story. I don’t want to give a spoiler but the ending was amazing.

If you are a fan of the story and you didn’t see this version yet, I highly recommend it.

Playful Kiss (2010)

84JJvxb4_68f497_f.jpg

The second version I saw was the Korean version, but at that time I didn’t even realize it was a remake of the Taiwanese version. I started watching when it was airing at the time because one of my bias actors, Kim Hyun Joong, was in it. After a couple of episodes, I was wondering where I knew it from, and when I realized it was like a slap in the face (to be fair, it had been a few years since I'd seen the Taiwanese version).

Anyway I liked the actors they chose, it's well made, but it didn’t get me like the others. What I found very interesting in this version were the dreams she had with him (they were so funny because they were so real to her and funnier when she would tell her friend).

Never too late to watch it!

Itazura na Kiss - Love in Tokyo (2013)

b4q82m93_cbc142_f.jpg

Third came the Japanese remake, and when I found out they were going to make it I was over the moon. The main actors, Furukawa Yuki and Miki Honoka so cute and lovely. When I watched it I couldn’t wait for the next episode to appear and it was one episode a week (the longest weeks evar!)

This remake was so well made and every episode felt completely new. The romantic parts touched my heart like I was falling in love for the first time.

Make time for this remake cuz you won’t regret it!

My favorite scene from the drama is the Legendary Umbrella Kiss!!

O3oxqRv4_79de0a_f.jpg

What do you think? Which one did you like better? For me is definitely the one from ISWK!

Itazura na Kiss (1996)

732nZJW3_4a9e8e_f.jpg

After I saw the Japanese remake I needed to go back to the beginning and watch the original. I was so interested in watching it but was worried that I wouldn’t find it because it's so old. BUT I FOUND IT! And it was English sub as well! I can’t describe how happy I was. This drama got me. It was so well made and the bad boy here wasn’t too extreme. You could see in his face that he was in love with her.

p1RNvn81_d4cfcd_f.jpg

The chemistry between Kashiwabara Takashi and Sato Aiko is so good that I ship them to be a real couple. And not to mention how cute they look together.

If you didn’t see it I don’t know what you're doing with your life because it’s a MUST. Drop everything and start watching it NOW!

Kiss Me (2015)

b3EzVqX4_393a93_f.jpg

Last but not least was the Thai version. Unfortunately, I haven't finished it because I've only just entered the Thai dramaland. Shame on me for not finishing it but I plan on doing it! Both actors, D'Angelo Mike and Manaying Sushar, look so young and their acting felt so real that it really draws you into the story.

In this version, he has a blonde hair and this little change from the original character brings a totally new vibe to the plot.

PL67vKB3_afec58_f.jpg

If you didn’t finish it like me. Let’s try and make time and see how it ends.

In Conclusion

After watching every single one I can say they all are very different because they have a little touch that can make the drama new even if it’s a remake.

And now I am waiting to watch the latest new versions but they don't have English subs. I am dying here of waiting to see how they are made and if they are better than the other versions. So if you are in the same situation I am, I hope you made it through memory lane and are also dying to see the remaining ones.

Mischievous Kiss The Movie: High School (2016)

Miss in Kiss (2016)

So which one is your favorite and which do you have yet to see?

Happy Valentine Week!

darkangel662008 Feb 28, 2017

I haven't watched the old Japanese version but thanks for the good review now I'm excited to start it.

KianaRose Feb 25, 2017

I love itazura na kiss so much ahhh. Miss in kiss is OK the lead girl just annoys me sometimes. playful kiss I couldn't get into at all I only watched 2 episodes which is a poor effort but I just didn't like any of the characters. These are the only 3 I have seen so far.

goldenseal50 Feb 24, 2017

lol I have seen them all too! You are not alone in really liking this plot.

PurpleOwl Feb 24, 2017 - edited

I'm so happy to see someone else just as obsessed as me.
    My order goes:

1 - Kiss Me, they are my parents and the slight (plot?) twist makes so much sense. I almost cried!
    2 - Anime
    3 - ISwaK/TKA. Glad for the Jiro Wang & Fahrenheit introduction. I love that I talk about it enough that my tablet knew just how to stylize it my way.
    4 - MK/MK2, their chemistry was fantastic. I couldn't believe she is so much younger than him.
    5 - Miss in Kiss, I appreciate how each culture changes the story just a bit. The tree is amazing. Plus our leads are perfect!
    Will probably move up my list by the end
    6 - Manga, I still haven't finished it
    7 - Itazura na Kiss, I didn't like the ending. But I felt all the feels. It's just this low because something has to be second to last
    8 - Playful Kiss, no doubt about it. Jung So Min did a great job but I never felt his love.

It fascinates me that you describe Irie as a bad boy. I feel like he is anything but. He's an Ikemen, a perfect genius.

Thanks for the article!

Crazyblueria Feb 27, 2017

Welcome,hope you liked it! I like your review as well!

StephStephieTeff Feb 23, 2017 - edited

My favourite is Kiss Me and Love in Tokyo :D

You should watch Full House Thai! It has the same leads as Kiss Me! They are my OTP <3

Miss in Kiss is currently airing on Netflix if you have it :)

Trouble-chan Feb 22, 2017 - edited

I'm currently watching 'Miss in Kiss' and PLEASE DON'T follow me in - seriously! it's AWFUL - it's a reboot of the Taiwanese version, but it's followed the WORST parts of the Korean one and thrown in a few drops of the worst of the Japanese one for good measure.

The writing is appallingly bad but, where the Korean one had a good cast to hold it together, this one does NOT. The ONLY cast member who is worth bothering to watch is Gong Yi Teng (who plays the 'Kinnosuke' second lead character called 'Jin Zhi Zhu' in this version). EVERYONE else, and I MEAN everyone, is AWFUL.

The female lead makes you seriously wonder how she can walk and talk at the SAME time she's so thick and both she and the male lead SOUND so damn BORED and ACT like they've been kidnapped and are merely refusing to co-operate with their captors by just mumbling and shuffling their way through the most boring drama in the world - which it is....BECAUSE OF THEM. At the other end of the scale the mother acts like she's either on speed and/or suffers from ADHD as she just gabbles away and flits around so fast she's like a damn humming bird.

I've got to episode 33 of 39 in total (hosted on Netflix UK), but nothing more than sheer determination and stubbornness to see it through to the end. But it's so SLOW - I've had to watch it in 15 minute bursts with breaks in between since episode 29 or I might've chewed my own face off.

I seriously cannot say enough about how terrible this reboot is - when it was realised that Ariel Lin and Joe Cheng didn't want to do a third season of their BEAUTIFUL adaptation; the powers that be should've left it alone. As it is now Taiwan has the dubious pleasure of have the BEST version in the ORIGINAL but also the WORST version in the REBOOT.

Really, I'm NOT joking, there will NEVER be a version worse than this one....even if we dress our dogs up and film them on our phones with us doing voice overs....it would STILL be BETTER than the Taiwanese reboot.

PurpleOwl Feb 24, 2017

I'm curious, why are you determined to watch it if you hate it?

I hate-watch sometimes but it's very rare so I'm just interested in the reasoning.

Charlott Feb 22, 2017

I'm completely obsessed and in love with this story. My favourite version is easily It Started With A Kiss, I'm currently watching it for the third time. I'm also obsessing over the new Miss in Kiss, it is so much better than I had expected! Kiss Me is such a wonderful gem, so different from the other versions but still so goooood.

Wafha_Kamenashi Feb 21, 2017

1.Itazura na Kiss - Love in Tokyo
    2. Kiss me
    For me they are the best and my two favorite version!...

bread-tie-twisty Feb 21, 2017

Miss in Kiss is on Netflix. They put up 3 new episodes a week.

JoyceC Feb 21, 2017

My favorite version is ISWAK but like you, I watched all the versions including the 1990's Japanese version. I even watched the anime. There is just something about this story that i love.

Cas Feb 20, 2017

I can't wait for the umbrella scene in Miss in Kiss the leads have fantastic chemistry and can't wait to see Zhi shu finally confess

HwangEunByul Feb 20, 2017

I LOVE THEM ALL

Fortuna Feb 20, 2017 - edited

I'm not interested in Thai dramas but if anything, this will be why I'll see one. I'm interested in the 1999 one now so thanks! This story doesn't really get old. I haven't seen the Korean version (not sure if I ever will) but I have fond memories of ISWAK. ^^

StephStephieTeff Feb 23, 2017

I would recommend Full House to start you off with Thai dramas! It was my first one and I absolutely loved it!

darkangel662008 Feb 28, 2017

I can say that Thai is very good in doing remakes, they get the main plot and essence of the original, add something to the loopholes so it will make sense then it ends good. I love both their version of Full House and this one.

babysmurf Feb 20, 2017

This story is constantly in the back of my mind. I even had a dream I was Kotoko a couple days ago lol.

GoEunChanDaddict Feb 20, 2017 - edited

ahh wow i'm not the only crazy one hahah i got into that cycle cuz of the anime xD really love that Story and don't even know why i'm so obsessed with it lol and btw i watched it in the same order

is the old one and the thai one any good i tried watching the old one but it was kinda weird and beside that i can't seme to get into thai dramaland i don't even dare try to watch one even though they all look really interesting maybe I try through this kkkk and OMG i can't wait to see the new japanese movie too

Crazyblueria Feb 20, 2017

Second one I like is the Jap version from 1996...The way they act and you can see on his face that he likes her but too stupid too confess...In my opinion even if it's old and I also loved the humor.I would recommend to see it but it's your choice!I hope I made myself clear enough <3

StephStephieTeff Feb 23, 2017

I really like the Thai one! I started off biased though because the leads are my OTP from Full House. You should check out Thai dramas! The language is really strange at first, but do push through as you do get used to it!

Crazyblueria's most recent articles...