Maki Horikita Retires From The Entertainment Industry!

Maki Horikita Announces Her Retirement

maki-horikita-3.jpg

Earlier this week, the ever popular Japanese actress, Maki Horikita (28) announced that she is retiring from the entertainment industry for good in order to focus on her family.

This is yet another blow to J-dorama fans. Last year, the great actor Narimiya Hiroki announced his retirement, though for completely different reasons.

The responses from netizens have been mixed. Many fans are happy for Maki, while others believe that she may have been forced to leave her career because her husband became too possessive and jealous. However, at the same time, it's fairly common for Japanese women to give up their careers in order to become full-time housewives, placing Japan very low in the gender equality rankings.

I guess we can never be sure. Instead, we can simply hope that Maki is happy.

The following is her official statement:

I have decided to leave my career that I’ve had until now.
As a mother, and I am living a very blessed life with my beloved family. With this warmth, I plan to protect this happiness with all of my might.

After discussing with my husband, he has respected my feelings. The two of us will continue to work together to create a family that is full of love.

To all of my fans who have supported me, to everyone who has taken care of me, thank you for a wonderful 14 years.

February 28, 2017

Maki Horikita

- source

Maki is famous for her roles in Nobuta Wo Produce, Kurosagi, and Hana Kimi. Her main role debut was at the young age of 14 in a drama Mobile Detective Zenigata Mai. Her first main role in a school film was in Winning Pass, alongside the legendary Matsuyama Kenichi.

She married fellow actor Koji Yamamoto (who is 12 years older than her) in August 2015, and gave birth to their first child in December 2016. The baby's name and gender have not been revealed yet.

yamamoto1110.jpg

Traditional Roles and Discrimination

In Japan, 40 to 60% of women quit work after giving birth. According to WEF, in 2013, Japan placed 105 (out of 135 countries) in regard to women’s participation in the economy and politics. This places Japan below even Burkina Faso when it comes to gender equality.

In 2016, Japan fell to the 111th place (out of 144 countries) in gender equality rankings.

As for other Asian countries, China was placed 99th, Thailand 71st, and South Korea 116th.

JPN.png

What are your thoughts on this?

Sources: Oricon, Arama, JapanTimes, Nippon

LadyG 5 days ago

Can't you just be happy for her and her family without bringing all these charts and politics about gender equality? Since when is it a negative thing that a woman chooses a family over her career? Babies need constant attention, love and support that only a mother can truly provide.

Meli 15 days ago

when i try to search her movie and start to like her work ....... she retired *ok* *sad*

ilovemassu 18 days ago - edited

another gem leaving the stage. so sad. I love her in nobuta no produce but haven't been really following her after that.
    I don't understand what gender equality has anything to do with the news. before we jump to conclusions about anything, we should know how the community's (Japanese) culture & their way of thinking. I don't think it's fair to compare it to people from anywhere (west, south or north).
    You know why there's result like in the end of the article? Because people are curious & they want to know about a topic & how is it different from place to place. We shouldn't use it to condemn others. Differences are there to be embraced & accepted, not to be judged & hated.

AdamPorter 18 days ago

Why do you need to add Gender equality to the post? It was a nice post until that point, If the women wants to retire after having a kid she is entitled to do so. If the man wants to retire after having a kid, he's entitled to do so. Get out of here with that gender equality crap.

EtherSword 19 days ago

What is with all this political stuff at the end? Jeez. Can't she just be a mom without it being all MUH INEQUALITY? Good for Maki Horikita. Her child will forever have a parent to raise her kid without rarely ever needing a nanny to raise her kid. Get this "discrimination" stuff a rest already, I very much doubt Maki feels discriminated from the message she gave to her fans.

Benedict 26 days ago

So much negativity surrounding a decision to focus on family. Has society really gone that far backwards? Full-time moms are the hardest workers in the world and deserve the utmost respect. Everyone call their moms and tell them you love them.

jxsilicon9 27 days ago

So he got together with her by being a stalker?Okay.Gender equality in Japan isn't that bad. Women usually control the household and finances.

mavnio 28 days ago

wow i never thought much about the actors/actresses when i watch and only now did i know that i watch a lot of her movies/dramas

surfaktan Mar 26, 2017

And what feminist agenda we got at the end

surfaktan Mar 26, 2017

Wish happiness for her :) .

Used to loved, but hardly she come challenging anyways in her role, beautiful but decent actress. so retirement not a big deal as it will put her off demand and there will be more space for others face as well.

LollyLilly Mar 26, 2017

I love her acting.. Idk weather to accept this news as a good or bad things..

Eunha Mar 20, 2017 - edited

There was that viral video where the man's two kids come in and then everyone started debating if the lady that took them out was the nanny or wife. I was just thinking isn't it better to give people the benefit of the doubt and support them with best wishes. Instead of being critical why not make excuses on why its better that way (unless of course there is a reason given why not to)

Sad to see her gone :(

Sutera116 Mar 17, 2017

seriously... don't hate me but maki always seemed to love acting. I believe she'll either break up with koji in a couple of years and come back or she'll simply come back after they have a ''stable''; family..

Emily Mar 17, 2017

She's only 28!? Jesus. Wait. SO SHE WAS 18 IN HANA KIMI!?
    HANA KIMI WAS 10 YEARS AGO!???????
    I... I really need some time to process this. I'm freaking out.

whyisitpink Mar 14, 2017 - edited

As long as it's her own decision and it's what she really wants, I will fully support her decision! Every now and then you see news where the actress/female idol quits their career almost immediately after announcing marriage or giving birth and that always makes me frown and wonder if it's what they really want. But it's not the case with Horikita, they've been married with child for some time already, so I'm sure she'll be happy with her choice!

Nobuta wo Produce was my first ever drama I saw, and now that Shuuji and Akira are reuniting it's sad that she's quitting! I wish her all the best ♥

Ceki Mar 19, 2017

You can't really know if that is or isn't the case with her unless you know her personally.

mavnio 28 days ago

yeah it's hard to criticize others specially celebrities..... since you never knew the true story..... almost everything can be fabricated by now

(aka Ceki91)

Ceki's most recent articles...