Maki Horikita Retires From The Entertainment Industry!

Maki Horikita Announces Her Retirement

maki-horikita-3.jpg

Earlier this week, the ever popular Japanese actress, Maki Horikita (28) announced that she is retiring from the entertainment industry for good in order to focus on her family.

This is yet another blow to J-dorama fans. Last year, the great actor Narimiya Hiroki announced his retirement, though for completely different reasons.

The responses from netizens have been mixed. Many fans are happy for Maki, while others believe that she may have been forced to leave her career because her husband became too possessive and jealous. However, at the same time, it's fairly common for Japanese women to give up their careers in order to become full-time housewives, placing Japan very low in the gender equality rankings.

I guess we can never be sure. Instead, we can simply hope that Maki is happy.

The following is her official statement:

I have decided to leave my career that I’ve had until now.
As a mother, and I am living a very blessed life with my beloved family. With this warmth, I plan to protect this happiness with all of my might.

After discussing with my husband, he has respected my feelings. The two of us will continue to work together to create a family that is full of love.

To all of my fans who have supported me, to everyone who has taken care of me, thank you for a wonderful 14 years.

February 28, 2017

Maki Horikita

- source

Maki is famous for her roles in Nobuta Wo Produce, Kurosagi, and Hana Kimi. Her main role debut was at the young age of 14 in a drama Mobile Detective Zenigata Mai. Her first main role in a school film was in Winning Pass, alongside the legendary Matsuyama Kenichi.

She married fellow actor Koji Yamamoto (who is 12 years older than her) in August 2015, and gave birth to their first child in December 2016. The baby's name and gender have not been revealed yet.

yamamoto1110.jpg

Traditional Roles and Discrimination

In Japan, 40 to 60% of women quit work after giving birth. According to WEF, in 2013, Japan placed 105 (out of 135 countries) in regard to women’s participation in the economy and politics. This places Japan below even Burkina Faso when it comes to gender equality.

In 2016, Japan fell to the 111th place (out of 144 countries) in gender equality rankings.

As for other Asian countries, China was placed 99th, Thailand 71st, and South Korea 116th.

JPN.png

What are your thoughts on this?

Sources: Oricon, Arama, JapanTimes, Nippon

Eunha 3 days ago - edited

There was that viral video where the man's two kids come in and then everyone started debating if the lady that took them out was the nanny or wife. I was just thinking isn't it better to give people the benefit of the doubt and support them with best wishes. Instead of being critical why not make excuses on why its better that way (unless of course there is a reason given why not to)

Sad to see her gone :(

Sutera116 6 days ago

seriously... don't hate me but maki always seemed to love acting. I believe she'll either break up with koji in a couple of years and come back or she'll simply come back after they have a ''stable''; family..

Emily 6 days ago

She's only 28!? Jesus. Wait. SO SHE WAS 18 IN HANA KIMI!?
    HANA KIMI WAS 10 YEARS AGO!???????
    I... I really need some time to process this. I'm freaking out.

whyisitpink 9 days ago - edited

As long as it's her own decision and it's what she really wants, I will fully support her decision! Every now and then you see news where the actress/female idol quits their career almost immediately after announcing marriage or giving birth and that always makes me frown and wonder if it's what they really want. But it's not the case with Horikita, they've been married with child for some time already, so I'm sure she'll be happy with her choice!

Nobuta wo Produce was my first ever drama I saw, and now that Shuuji and Akira are reuniting it's sad that she's quitting! I wish her all the best ♥

Ceki 4 days ago

You can't really know if that is or isn't the case with her unless you know her personally.

mahgikkow23 10 days ago

OMG 0_0 I knew about her marriage but this is news to me! Her roles were great and I grew up watching her jdoramas as my first! Be happy!!! T^T

rin 14 days ago

Maki Maki NOOOoO!

rad_lisette 14 days ago

Sad to see Horikiti retire.
    I really enjoyed her work in "Nobuta wo Produce" and "Hana Kimi" .... but looking at her list of work ... it seems like her peak was between 2003-2010. Her last few projects didn't have much of an impact.
    Glad that she has the option of taking out some time to take care of her family after being in the J-entertainment industry for so long.

ArikaWoopie 14 days ago

That's really sad when will people realize the importance of women!
    I feel women will only get equality when the place themselves before their roles as mothers.

Carole 15 days ago

Aaaw that's too bad. She was my favourite Japanese actress, so I'll miss her... Oh well, as long as she's happy that way... I hope she is...

siskayuri 16 days ago

wish her all the best ♥ i am gonna miss her :'(

blacklatina 16 days ago - edited

Her " impose husband" sounds more like a stalker,creepy,insecure,"nobody likes me and Im gonna make her be with me" kind of guy...She should have run from him far away!!!!

klairi360 15 days ago

We don't know that but is possible!!! The only thing we can do is to give her our best wishes <3

Elle 17 days ago

first Narimiya Hiroki and now Horikita Maki ... NOOOOOOOO!!! Everyone is retiring TT_TT

Hani 17 days ago

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

yamakifan143 17 days ago - edited

this is continually breaking my heart... T.T i've been a big fan of her... you can notice by my username---half is her name in it.... T.T

i think, i better change it..... looking at my username always makes me remember this...

XiaoYan 17 days ago

I still can't believe she married the bad guy from Atashinchi no Danshi. (i have only ever seen him in that role... so i'm biased)
    Her life and her choices. That's fine. I will miss her though. And maybe in a few years she'll go back to work?

(aka Ceki91)

Ceki's most recent articles...