Maki Horikita Retires From The Entertainment Industry!

Maki Horikita Announces Her Retirement

maki-horikita-3.jpg

Earlier this week, the ever popular Japanese actress, Maki Horikita (28) announced that she is retiring from the entertainment industry for good in order to focus on her family.

This is yet another blow to J-dorama fans. Last year, the great actor Narimiya Hiroki announced his retirement, though for completely different reasons.

The responses from netizens have been mixed. Many fans are happy for Maki, while others believe that she may have been forced to leave her career because her husband became too possessive and jealous. However, at the same time, it's fairly common for Japanese women to give up their careers in order to become full-time housewives, placing Japan very low in the gender equality rankings.

I guess we can never be sure. Instead, we can simply hope that Maki is happy.

The following is her official statement:

I have decided to leave my career that I’ve had until now.
As a mother, and I am living a very blessed life with my beloved family. With this warmth, I plan to protect this happiness with all of my might.

After discussing with my husband, he has respected my feelings. The two of us will continue to work together to create a family that is full of love.

To all of my fans who have supported me, to everyone who has taken care of me, thank you for a wonderful 14 years.

February 28, 2017

Maki Horikita

- source

Maki is famous for her roles in Nobuta Wo Produce, Kurosagi, and Hana Kimi. Her main role debut was at the young age of 14 in a drama Mobile Detective Zenigata Mai. Her first main role in a school film was in Winning Pass, alongside the legendary Matsuyama Kenichi.

She married fellow actor Koji Yamamoto (who is 12 years older than her) in August 2015, and gave birth to their first child in December 2016. The baby's name and gender have not been revealed yet.

yamamoto1110.jpg

Traditional Roles and Discrimination

In Japan, 40 to 60% of women quit work after giving birth. According to WEF, in 2013, Japan placed 105 (out of 135 countries) in regard to women’s participation in the economy and politics. This places Japan below even Burkina Faso when it comes to gender equality.

In 2016, Japan fell to the 111th place (out of 144 countries) in gender equality rankings.

As for other Asian countries, China was placed 99th, Thailand 71st, and South Korea 116th.

JPN.png

What are your thoughts on this?

Sources: Oricon, Arama, JapanTimes, Nippon

Luly 25 days ago - edited

So, 12 years after Nobuta, Yamapi and Kame are coming back with a drama and a single and Maki is retiring for family. If that doesn't say gender gap I don't know what does. Thanks for putting the equality issues on the article, as well as pointing out the stalking. I hope she made the right choice, but the marriage seemed sketchy since the start. I just wish her the best.

blackswindler 25 days ago

I didn't even know she had a husband and a child.

kawaiimomo 25 days ago

I hope to god she comes back to act when her baby is older.

kanade 25 days ago - edited

28 and retired, fuck, normal people cant even dream about something like that

rosyprincess 25 days ago

テレビで見たよ!
    ま~赤ちゃんもできたしそれはそれは、家族のほうが大事に決まってるよ!

rainruma 25 days ago - edited

Love this article... and how u turned it into a statement about traditional roles, discrimination, and female inequality in Japan.
    very surprised to find Japan so low in the rankings, I thought they have improved much in last few decades.... I was wrong!

Starshine 25 days ago

Good luck maki i will be your fan

Starshine 25 days ago

I liked maki dramas it's amazing I wish her good days with her family her photos are wonderful

kittyflumpin 25 days ago - edited

Well, I liked her in Nobuta wo Produce and... mmm, that's about it. I didn't think she had much range as an actress-- her acting always seemed a bit "flat" to me, like she wasn't really into it. If that were the case, then it's not that surprising she'd choose to leave the business behind.

BAEBunnij 25 days ago - edited

Wow sad to hear this I do hope maybe one day she will return after sometime with her family she is a great talent but if she does or doesn't I still wish her all the best.

Max 25 days ago

snif

KoriNeko18 25 days ago

Aw, I really like her. She's cute and just nice to watch! Wish her the best in life. <3

amrita828 25 days ago - edited

If the acting career were so time and energy consuming that one can't go on doing it WHILE being a parent, why isn't her husband retiring too? Point is, this decision shouldn't be a necessity, unless one stated: "I'm fed up of this job, I want' to start another".
    On a side note, all this stress on Japan being ranked 111th in gender equality overshadowed South Korea's 116th (!!!) place. Shall we talk about that too?

Ceki 25 days ago

That's true. To be honest, I was surprised at S.Korea's rankings, I had no idea it was even lower than Japan's. In Japan women do have choice, but they are still pressured to choose either family or career. I mean, I still remember the scandal revolving around Namie Amuro when she decided to divorce and continue working after giving birth. The media almost crucified her.
      And I'm not sure how they deal with working mothers there or what is the percentage of women who quit work after getting married in S.Korea. If there is any relevant info or statistics, do share them.

rationalbeings 25 days ago

This. I was pretty surprised, I assumed SK would be higher than JP cause it seems a little less traditional. They really need to start more positive campaigns that empower women to work and be moms, and push for more equality in the work place. My friend in JP always complains that even though she and her male counterpart at work are at the same level the boss will always only ask her to make tea/coffee for guests. It's may sound tiny but its so discriminatory!!

Ceki 23 days ago

Thanks!

Erica 25 days ago - edited

Thank you for sharing this page. Hope all the best! She is Gorgeous!

ken 25 days ago

Still hoping one day we will have all three shuji,akira, and nobuta reunited again

(aka Ceki91)

Ceki's most recent articles...