Maki Horikita Retires From The Entertainment Industry!

Maki Horikita Announces Her Retirement

maki-horikita-3.jpg

Earlier this week, the ever popular Japanese actress, Maki Horikita (28) announced that she is retiring from the entertainment industry for good in order to focus on her family.

This is yet another blow to J-dorama fans. Last year, the great actor Narimiya Hiroki announced his retirement, though for completely different reasons.

The responses from netizens have been mixed. Many fans are happy for Maki, while others believe that she may have been forced to leave her career because her husband became too possessive and jealous. However, at the same time, it's fairly common for Japanese women to give up their careers in order to become full-time housewives, placing Japan very low in the gender equality rankings.

I guess we can never be sure. Instead, we can simply hope that Maki is happy.

The following is her official statement:

I have decided to leave my career that I’ve had until now.
As a mother, and I am living a very blessed life with my beloved family. With this warmth, I plan to protect this happiness with all of my might.

After discussing with my husband, he has respected my feelings. The two of us will continue to work together to create a family that is full of love.

To all of my fans who have supported me, to everyone who has taken care of me, thank you for a wonderful 14 years.

February 28, 2017

Maki Horikita

- source

Maki is famous for her roles in Nobuta Wo Produce, Kurosagi, and Hana Kimi. Her main role debut was at the young age of 14 in a drama Mobile Detective Zenigata Mai. Her first main role in a school film was in Winning Pass, alongside the legendary Matsuyama Kenichi.

She married fellow actor Koji Yamamoto (who is 12 years older than her) in August 2015, and gave birth to their first child in December 2016. The baby's name and gender have not been revealed yet.

yamamoto1110.jpg

Traditional Roles and Discrimination

In Japan, 40 to 60% of women quit work after giving birth. According to WEF, in 2013, Japan placed 105 (out of 135 countries) in regard to women’s participation in the economy and politics. This places Japan below even Burkina Faso when it comes to gender equality.

In 2016, Japan fell to the 111th place (out of 144 countries) in gender equality rankings.

As for other Asian countries, China was placed 99th, Thailand 71st, and South Korea 116th.

JPN.png

What are your thoughts on this?

Sources: Oricon, Arama, JapanTimes, Nippon

MrBanana Mar 5, 2017

By following some news in Japan it seems that the husband is a psychopath and is controlling her like crazy, maybe is related.

beep90 Mar 4, 2017

also its her choice whether she wants to continue or not. who are we to worry about

beep90 Mar 4, 2017

wtf man she was one of my faves. will miss her

Cntrldfusion Mar 4, 2017

Nothing to do but wish her well. It's sad because she is such a great actress and will be missed. But she just had her first child and she knows how the business is since she has been in it for 14yrs. If she doesn't want to bring her child into that environment and doesn't want to have rely on child care then she's probably making the right choice. Whose to say that years down the road she won't return.

CatoCat Mar 4, 2017

Whenever is case of Discrimination fingers are pointed at Japan but other South-Asian/South-East Asian Countries doesn't have better rank compared to Japan.
    She gave birth a child in dec-2016. New born baby needs its mother the most. It is quite possible that her husband requested her to retire and she agreed with the logic.

People come back from retirements all the time so i think she might make a comeback 2-3 years later.

NewKDramaAddict Mar 4, 2017

Happy and sad for her. Its her choice but I will truly miss her

LiteD Mar 4, 2017

Thank you for posting all these statistics about gender equality with this article!!

ChaNee Mar 4, 2017 - edited

I find it funny as well that people jump to the conclusion that she may have retired because her husband forced her. As if it's not possible for a woman, regardless of where she is from and the status of gender equality, to choose to leave the celebrity life or any other profession to focus on raising her children and focusing on her family. She is young and very well may return to acting when she is a bit older. We never know. Why don't we just wish her and her family well.

kawaiimomo Mar 4, 2017

I think people are jumping to that conclusion because of how creepy her husband acted to get with her. You can read about it in the link in the article. It honestly seemed like she didn't even like him romantically at all since she didn't even give him his number and then all of a sudden they're married without dating. It's just really unusual.

ChaNee Mar 5, 2017

Bmore, I feel the same exact way as you when it came to having my first child. I was a mess because I badly wanted to stay home with him at least until he hit the kindergarten age but finances would not permit. This type of attitude I am reading is very disheartening. This is the automatic response to any woman choosing to be a full time home maker vs being a working mother. I have heard the stories of Maki and her husband but I am grown and open to know that you don't believe everything the media releases as well things aren't always as they seem. How I am I to know the "real" status of their marriage. I can go on and on. This topic got under my skin.

Ceki Mar 5, 2017 - edited

It got under your skin because you are projecting your own experience on it. Not ALL women want to stay at home and quit their work, and if you want to follow the same logic - just because you wanted to be a professional homemaker, that does not mean that Maki did want that too ffs.

blacklatina Mar 6, 2017 - edited

Asians parents often choose their kids (or maybe force) to married the person they have choosen for them...Maybe his parents and hers arrange their marriage and over there your parents word is kind of law.

neaa Mar 3, 2017

And they say gender pay gap or bias isn't real :(

dejawufan Mar 3, 2017 - edited

She's so young. Thinking of all of the amazing roles she could've had makes me sad. I really hope she did this because she wanted to and not because she was forced to by her stalkerish husband. On another note, Japan really needs to work on gender equality and getting rid of some of its gender stereotypes.

Luly Mar 3, 2017 - edited

So, 12 years after Nobuta, Yamapi and Kame are coming back with a drama and a single and Maki is retiring for family. If that doesn't say gender gap I don't know what does. Thanks for putting the equality issues on the article, as well as pointing out the stalking. I hope she made the right choice, but the marriage seemed sketchy since the start. I just wish her the best.

blackswindler Mar 3, 2017

I didn't even know she had a husband and a child.

kawaiimomo Mar 3, 2017

I hope to god she comes back to act when her baby is older.

kanade Mar 3, 2017 - edited

28 and retired, fuck, normal people cant even dream about something like that

rosyprincess Mar 3, 2017

テレビで見たよ!
    ま~赤ちゃんもできたしそれはそれは、家族のほうが大事に決まってるよ!

(aka Ceki91)

Ceki's most recent articles...