Maki Horikita Retires From The Entertainment Industry!

Maki Horikita Announces Her Retirement

maki-horikita-3.jpg

Earlier this week, the ever popular Japanese actress, Maki Horikita (28) announced that she is retiring from the entertainment industry for good in order to focus on her family.

This is yet another blow to J-dorama fans. Last year, the great actor Narimiya Hiroki announced his retirement, though for completely different reasons.

The responses from netizens have been mixed. Many fans are happy for Maki, while others believe that she may have been forced to leave her career because her husband became too possessive and jealous. However, at the same time, it's fairly common for Japanese women to give up their careers in order to become full-time housewives, placing Japan very low in the gender equality rankings.

I guess we can never be sure. Instead, we can simply hope that Maki is happy.

The following is her official statement:

I have decided to leave my career that I’ve had until now.
As a mother, and I am living a very blessed life with my beloved family. With this warmth, I plan to protect this happiness with all of my might.

After discussing with my husband, he has respected my feelings. The two of us will continue to work together to create a family that is full of love.

To all of my fans who have supported me, to everyone who has taken care of me, thank you for a wonderful 14 years.

February 28, 2017

Maki Horikita

- source

Maki is famous for her roles in Nobuta Wo Produce, Kurosagi, and Hana Kimi. Her main role debut was at the young age of 14 in a drama Mobile Detective Zenigata Mai. Her first main role in a school film was in Winning Pass, alongside the legendary Matsuyama Kenichi.

She married fellow actor Koji Yamamoto (who is 12 years older than her) in August 2015, and gave birth to their first child in December 2016. The baby's name and gender have not been revealed yet.

yamamoto1110.jpg

Traditional Roles and Discrimination

In Japan, 40 to 60% of women quit work after giving birth. According to WEF, in 2013, Japan placed 105 (out of 135 countries) in regard to women’s participation in the economy and politics. This places Japan below even Burkina Faso when it comes to gender equality.

In 2016, Japan fell to the 111th place (out of 144 countries) in gender equality rankings.

As for other Asian countries, China was placed 99th, Thailand 71st, and South Korea 116th.

JPN.png

What are your thoughts on this?

Sources: Oricon, Arama, JapanTimes, Nippon

Starshine Mar 3, 2017

I liked maki dramas it's amazing I wish her good days with her family her photos are wonderful

kittyflumpin Mar 3, 2017 - edited

Well, I liked her in Nobuta wo Produce and... mmm, that's about it. I didn't think she had much range as an actress-- her acting always seemed a bit "flat" to me, like she wasn't really into it. If that were the case, then it's not that surprising she'd choose to leave the business behind.

BAEBunnij Mar 3, 2017 - edited

Wow sad to hear this I do hope maybe one day she will return after sometime with her family she is a great talent but if she does or doesn't I still wish her all the best.

Max Mar 3, 2017

snif

KoriNeko18 Mar 3, 2017

Aw, I really like her. She's cute and just nice to watch! Wish her the best in life. <3

amrita828 Mar 3, 2017 - edited

If the acting career were so time and energy consuming that one can't go on doing it WHILE being a parent, why isn't her husband retiring too? Point is, this decision shouldn't be a necessity, unless one stated: "I'm fed up of this job, I want' to start another".
    On a side note, all this stress on Japan being ranked 111th in gender equality overshadowed South Korea's 116th (!!!) place. Shall we talk about that too?

Ceki Mar 3, 2017

That's true. To be honest, I was surprised at S.Korea's rankings, I had no idea it was even lower than Japan's. In Japan women do have choice, but they are still pressured to choose either family or career. I mean, I still remember the scandal revolving around Namie Amuro when she decided to divorce and continue working after giving birth. The media almost crucified her.
      And I'm not sure how they deal with working mothers there or what is the percentage of women who quit work after getting married in S.Korea. If there is any relevant info or statistics, do share them.

rationalbeings Mar 3, 2017

This. I was pretty surprised, I assumed SK would be higher than JP cause it seems a little less traditional. They really need to start more positive campaigns that empower women to work and be moms, and push for more equality in the work place. My friend in JP always complains that even though she and her male counterpart at work are at the same level the boss will always only ask her to make tea/coffee for guests. It's may sound tiny but its so discriminatory!!

Ceki Mar 5, 2017

Thanks!

Erica Mar 3, 2017 - edited

Thank you for sharing this page. Hope all the best! She is Gorgeous!

ken Mar 3, 2017

Still hoping one day we will have all three shuji,akira, and nobuta reunited again

MareSoares Mar 3, 2017 - edited

I think she was "forced" to do it. All of these actress and actor has a role to play in life and has to say things that can "to model" a way of thinking of people. With serious problems with births in Japan, it is expected that influential people like her give "the exemple". So, after start a family, you should stop to work to be "a model mother and housewife".
    I hope she find hapiness in every path of life.

Mika931 Mar 3, 2017

Respect her decision and wish her happiness with her family :)

NanaChin Mar 3, 2017

The implication that she was forced to quit is literally so out of place. She has talked about wanting to start a family while young and wishing to have many children years ago. It's been her dream, I really believe it was her own decision to dedicate herself completely to her family.

Shaira Porras Mar 3, 2017

o gosh!! Godbless her :(

jagasthesecond Mar 3, 2017 - edited

She's the one I idolize the most. I will surely miss her :( Thanks for inspiring me!

NaniNi Mar 3, 2017 - edited

And one correction to the article above - the child was born in December 2016, not 2015.

NaniNi Mar 3, 2017

Somehow I can't believe this is her own decision. She will be missed to the industry and her fans a lot, but the people who took this decision instead of her would not be able to grasp the meaning. I hope at least that she will be happy as a person and that we will not hear about her misfortune in the future.

(aka Ceki91)

Ceki's most recent articles...