6 Highly Rated Korean Dramas I Dropped

6 highly rated Korean dramas I dropped.

The title says it all. For this article I considered only standard length Korean dramas aired on broadcast TV (no shorts, specials or web dramas) rated an 8 or above on MDL.

Goblin

M4PJg2OL_237990_f.jpg

The order of adjectives people.

Eps completed: 10 of 16

What I liked: The friendships and the beautiful cinematography. This story had good bones. The writer had a strong opening. Reaper Kim was amazing. Whenever he and the goblin were being all out of touch bro’s of the cosmos it was extremely entertaining. *Most* of the historical flashbacks were perfect. That’s a story I would have loved to watch in more detail.

What I didn’t like: The biggest issue for me was that I never believed the Goblin and Ji Eun Tak were in love. They meant a lot to each other, yes but even after he confessed his romantic feelings for her their romance was tepid at best and felt more like a friendship. The second biggest issue was the Goblin himself. This is a very flat character. He had his moments when he was funny but any time emotion was involved he almost always froze up. Gong Yoo’s delivery during emotional scenes was largely monotone. Sunny’s character suffered from the same fatal stoicism. This disappointment is amplified because if you’ve ever seen Gong Yoo or Yoo In Na in anything else you know they are both excellent actors who could have pulled off a thousand times more. I was also disappointed in Kim Go Eun’s character. She was not nearly as interesting as she should have been. She hangs with celestial beings and ghosts for Pete's sake. After seeing the actress in Cheese in the Trap where she played a real person it almost hurt to watch her play the stereotypical too young acts even younger pure innocent barely exists except in relation to a man drama heroine.

Final thoughts: I would have loved a story just about the Goblin and Reaper Kim. And FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY; Lonely and Great is not proper English. It should be Great and Lonely.

It’s Okay, That’s Love

D457aBAL_9e21b4_f.jpg

Do you think they could have all fit in the tub? I think they could.

Eps completed: 6 of 16

What I liked: This show had a balance between the dark and the funny that is rarely seen in Kdramas. Normally the best you can hope for is that they manage to balance the transition from funny act one to heartbreaking act two. IOTL crosses the streams so well that you find yourself laughing at times when as a decent person you probably shouldn’t be. The beginning of the show found the humor in our tragic humanity. The performances were all great.

What I didn’t like: It didn’t take long for this show to start to buckle under the weight of its own complexity. The story shot out in all directions leaving the viewer to try to slough through a whole lotta plot.  What had been a refreshing look at interesting people quickly became a bland retelling of tragic pasts and tropes I could see coming a mile away. Yawn. The show sold itself as a mature look at love but I didn’t get that vibe. Just more gimmicks.

Final thoughts: I didn’t make a conscious choice to drop this. I watched episode 6 and just never went back.

Oh My Venus

W19XNpe4_ceaad4_f.jpg

Dimples do not pop. Eeeeewwwww.

Eps completed: 10 of 16

What I liked: So Ji Sub and Shin Min Ah could both muster chemistry with a fricking door so that was fantastic to watch. I loved that they showed Kang Joo Eun as a viable and serious love interest for Kim Yeong Ho even before she was skinny. Her character, though a little turned up for dramatic effect, is pretty realistic and very relatable. In fact, most of the characters were really great. The humor was spot on.

What I didn’t like: The story.  When the plot focused on the characters and their relationships all was well. Just after the halfway mark, they decided to dig DEEP into the basic chaebol BS starter kit and that’s where they lost me. it took over the plot and that’s no fun. Also. the little blowing kisses cheek pop thing they did made me imagine giant pimples every time and it was gross.

Final thoughts: I’m not mad at it. I really enjoyed the episodes I did watch, have it rated at an 8 and I am happy to know I didn’t waste six hours of my life on something that wouldn’t have entertained me.

Pinocchio

W3ry6VwL_81e30e_f.jpg

If only the plot could have been as simple as this color palette.

Eps completed: 5 of 20

What I liked: Umm…Park Shin Hye can act. Who knew? Lee Jong Suk is pretty….uh… I liked the family dynamic…kinda? Yea. That’s it. I got nothin’.

What I didn’t like: Everything else. And I do mean EVERYTHING else. In five short episodes, this drama tried to be ten different shows. Seriously this show has SEVEN different tags. It’s almost as if the writer had a handful of unfinished scripts laying around and needed to sell something so it got stitched together into this Frankenstein’s monster of a way too much going on for it’s own good drama. It’s all very contrived. The editing was atrocious too. Flashbacks in the middle of flashback? Oh my god, please stop.

Final thoughts: I tried to watch it twice. Stalled out at the same spot both times.

Shut Up: Flower Boy Band

Y4a5z0a4_82287e_f.jpg

BRO! I know!

Eps completed: 4 of 16

What I liked: There were a lot of pretty boys and Byung Hee is hilarious and awesome. The music was great too.

What I didn’t like: Pretty much everything else. I didn’t look too hard at the MDL page and didn’t realize Lee Min Ki’s role was a guest spot and he was only in two episodes. I was unhappy when his character left the show. This was way back before I realized that despite his dashing good looks and hypnotic voice, Sung Joon is not an actor I enjoy. Maybe it’s because I knew a guy like this when I was in high school. I knew a dozen guys like this character and Sung Joon did not capture the raw energy of a troubled talented teenager. There were scenes where he did well but overall I felt he kept missing the mark. Most of the other cast were little more the set dressing. The villains were vanilla and the female lead didn’t have a discernible personality. She was pretty and nice but that’s not a personality.

Final thoughts: I didn’t give this one much of a chance but I was so bored by it that I honestly doubt I ever will.

Bride of the Century

71Ne6q94_635541_f.jpg

Eps completed: 8 of 16

What I liked: The first 8 episodes. Despite being pretty standard fare it was well done and enjoyable. The characters were fun the story was ridiculous but engaging. It was a solid first half. Even Lee Hong Ki was turning in a good performance which at the time was sort of surprising.

What I didn’t like: My enjoyment of this drama came to a screeching halt with just one line. Don’t worry I’m not posting spoilers. I had rather liked the female lead and I respected her about as much as one could respect a person who allows themselves to be treated poorly and even falls for one of the people treating them poorly. Not a lot, but it was there. Then she said something that robbed me of that little bit respect I did have for her and made my inner feminist rage. Not only that but it was a bit much for what had happened in the story up to that point. After that, I just could not watch it.

Final thoughts: Boo. BOOOO!!!!!

Elisa 1 day ago

I thought I was the only one that disliked goblin :') I mean, yep, it's very funny and the scenes are beautiful and all, but it's true I didn't feel any love, + Totally agree for the acting/ emotion parts. I was enjoying it (++ for the bromance xD) but then I just didn't want to watch any more episode; I felt like I knew what would happened and now that it's finished I see I had it right. I haven't seen the others except bride of the century (and I totally agree with your comment) and Shut up flower boy band, which I didn't disliked but that didn't really, you know, convince me. Actually you have to watch it while doing something else or be into that kind of dramas, but it really wasn't the worst that I've watched ^^

KMR 4 days ago

I agree for the first two. I still finished them though. The rest...lol..I didn't even bother starting.

LuvK 5 days ago

Wow, I thought I was the only one, most of them started out great, but somehow the story along the way didn't grab me at all. @.@.....

Aryael 5 days ago

Agree to all and finally someone spoke up against Goblin! The strength of that drama is in the funny interaction between goblin and reaper. They could be the hosts to a variety show together and the ratings would be phenomenal. The chemistry between female lead and goblin is exactly as you said - friendship or even an older bro and younger sis. No romance there. The story is simple and straightforward but dragged out. It's like ordering peanut butter sandwich and when it arrives you realise that the peanut butter is spread so thinly that you hardly get to taste it! They made it as a drama all thanks to the bromance between Gong Yoo and Lee Dong Wook. I didn't watch Pinocchio and Flower Boy Band and I don't plan to. I finished Bride of Century and IOTL but I had forgotten the stories. I remember thinking that I was bored and wasn't impressed with them. OMV was okay but the story is not amazing - just okay to pass the time with if there's nothing better on offer.

mahboobeh 5 days ago

Bride of the Century is one of the WORST DRAMA EVER!!! -_- (Of course in my list LOL)

Martina 5 days ago

Hmm it's interesting. I know quite a few people who dropped It's ok after episode 6. For me the best part started in ep. 7 or 8 and I was totally hoocked after that. It made wound in my heart and will be one of the best dramas for me forever. But everybody likes something different, I can understand.
    I didn't like DOTS, the story was poor (the writer has good ratings and is really succesfull, but I think that she is depending more on the actors, effects and stuffs like that than on the story... The same with Goblin, but I enjoyed Goblin more, because the topic was at least kind of new...).

Kala 5 days ago
    Reveal Spoiler »
    Natsu2 6 days ago

For me it will be DoS. I couldn't even finish the first episode. Boring!

hotarunatsu 6 days ago

I went through with Bride of the century because of Hongki, and It's okay it's love- it was worth watching until the end, I guess I got bored of others, the plot went down~

Bookdork1 6 days ago

I started all of these except Bride of the Century. I finished SUFBB and IOTL but the others I all dropped, some for discernible reasons and others because I think I just got bored. Anyway, I really enjoyed this post! It takes away some of that irrational guilt I feel when I don't like the 'popular' drama

Emily 6 days ago - edited

I have to applaud each and every one of these entries, because although I finished all of these (except Goblin. WHOOPS) I totally get where you're coming from on each of them.
    Pinocchio was boring as hell. I'd watch a painting of Lee Jong Suk's face dry for 16 hours, so of course I finished it, but I gained nothing from the experience. Oh My Venus... you said you aren't mad at it, and I agree. I wasn't either. It was just extremely bland and uninteresting.
    Shut Up Flower Boy Band was watched in 2 days while I was doing other more interesting things. Otherwise I never would have gotten through it.
    My only qualms with this are Bride of the Century, which I thought was a fairly fresh and cute drama that surprised me with how good it was, and 'It's Okay, That's Love'.
    I think that you should give the latter another try. It loses a little bit of steam in the middle, I'll agree, but it throws some curveballs at you and really hits an emotional depth that you don't see in most popular dramas.The leads are convincing and draw you in, and the entire drama is just so unique. The side stories are a bit 'meh' but I thoroughly believe it's worth finishing.

redtealeaf 6 days ago - edited

Gongyoo had a major emotional rush in the last episode jsyk, worth watching ;)

cityhunter83 6 days ago

yea, imma rush right over and waste another 6 hours of my life being bored to see 10 minutes of Gong Yoo doing his best work. No thanks. i'll just go watch something of his i actually liked :)

Naksken 5 days ago

Haha! Hilarious! This is exactly how I feel when someone suggests I watch something I've dropped unless something momentous happens, like I used to hate an actor and then saw them in something else and realised they were, in fact, excellent. Great article! I watched a few of these the whole way through and dropped others, some I haven't started, but the way you expressed yourself here was concrete, hilarious and well written. <3

cityhunter83 5 days ago

thank you : } it was fun to write.

NewKDramaAddict 6 days ago

I'm with you on 2 and I never started Goblin. Really liked BotC though. SUFBB? Maybe it was the music that was the staying power for me.

TigerStar 6 days ago - edited

I´m a big supporter of "watching the ending first" when it gets boring. If it´s great than I watch sometimes the other episodes, too. If not than "whatever, I didn´t waste my time".

Lorra-Patricia 6 days ago

omg. you're me.

SmileHoney 6 days ago

Same here. When I know it's a drama I'd never be able to finish, finishing the last two episodes seems to be enough.

lilunnie99 6 days ago

LOVE!

cityhunter83's most recent articles...