5 Stages of Drama Addiction!

5 STAGES OF DRAMA ADDICTION!

#1: SKEPTICISM

Remember that first time you found out about Asian dramas? Maybe a friend recommended it to you, maybe you found it while browsing the internet, or maybe you were an avid anime watcher who found out about the live action versions. No matter how you found out about it, your first reaction was, most probably, skepticism. Watching something in a language that you don't understand a word of? Watching something with subtitles? Why would you watch it? Wouldn't you rather watch something that...well, you actually understand? [Maybe the anime-watchers didn't have the same problem since they'd been already watching the subbed animes. In that case, they probably skipped this stage.] Then by some chance, or maybe because of your persistent friend, or more likely because of your own curiosity, you finally watched that first episode. And the rest, as they say, is history.

W3rXPp01_92ce09_f.jpg

#2: EXCITEMENT

This stage begins when you've completed your first drama. By now, you've figured out that Asian dramas are no joke. Now that you've begun this journey, you're just so excited for all that's to come. There are plenty of dramas out there. This stage of drama addiction is usually spent googling "Top ten Asian (K/J/C/TW) dramas" or "Most popular Asian dramas". And when you see the number of results on these popular searches, you practically squeal with glee. Because there are just so many dramas out there...just waiting for you to watch them...and love them.

PLplj9rL_2001b3_f.jpg

#3: DENIAL

This is the stage that you encounter when you've watched at least 20 or so dramas, within a very short time-span. You know you're running on a track that leads towards drama addiction, but that's not really gonna stop you, is it? So you deny, deny, deny. Deny the fact that you're starting to get kinda addicted to the dramas. Deny the fact that just because you're sacrificing your sleep for a single, which turns into multiple, episode(s) of drama, it means you can't quit anytime. Because, of course, you can. You're just watching dramas because you like them. OK, really, really like them. But that's it! It does not mean you're addicted to them. What complete and utter nonsense!

Y4aA7eQ4_07f133_f.jpg

#4: FEAR

Denial never really lasts long, does it? The 4th stage is when you are aware of the fact that you've, to put it bluntly, become addicted to dramas. You've been watching them day in and day out. Sacrificed your social life for them. You've lost the sense of time. Now the fear begins to creep in.  Even when you're not watching dramas, you're thinking about them. Are you spending too much time on dramas? You know the answer to that question very well, and that's the fact that scares you.

mLnpWB94_eb937f_f.jpg

#5: ACCEPTANCE

This is the last stage of drama addiction. You've accepted the fact that there's no going back. Dramas have become an essential part of your life.

Acceptance is the first step towards curing an addiction. But unfortunately, or fortunately - depends on how you look at it - there's no cure for drama addiction. Unless real life steps in!

q1XAKG9L_6b7d11_f.jpg

This is a just-for-fun article. I'm sure none of us are actually 'addicted' to dramas. Oops, looks like I'm still stuck in the 'Denial' stage. ^_~

Thanks for reading!

P.S. Image credit goes to owners.

EXOWOLFGIRL 24 days ago

the biggest lie in my whole life ... the last episode the last episode ... then it ends with finishing the whole series in one day

darkangel662008 May 22, 2017

I passed the denial stage...

MarjieJoseJavier May 15, 2017

Truly

PrincesaDorameira May 14, 2017

TRUE.

mavnio May 11, 2017

im not addicted!
    im sure!
    i only watched about 300+ movies and dramas.......
    so im not a drama addict at all....

meem May 11, 2017

stage #6 would be I have nearly watched all the top dramas from Korean,Japanese and Chinese and now i have to wait for the new dramas to air .

SATHYA May 11, 2017

This is exactly what happened (since June2015) to me

Ricecake May 9, 2017

Relates

Midnight May 9, 2017

Out and proud.

Toutaku May 9, 2017 - edited

I am an anime fan, and the skepticism was not about the language, since i´m not a english speaker that is not a problem for many years now, but the thought of "there's no way they can do it with people and be good", I kind of liked Switch Girl, and realy i realy subestimated Itazura na Kiss: Love in Tokyo, than, I was already used to hear japonese, and thought "korean sound weird", now I even listen to kpop.
    Near 100 dramas already, not addicted at all.

Jaylan May 9, 2017

i didn't go through all these i just watched 1 movie coincidentally then i became a korean watcher lover

JasminAmezcua May 8, 2017

#5 same
    #그것을 사랑해.

Kanha May 7, 2017

I actually haven´t gone through any of those fases XD Exept for maybe #5 since I have accepted my drama addiction XD

loveanimeever May 7, 2017

Yeah gone through them countless times~ :X

guccigall May 5, 2017 - edited

It's been 17 years sincs I've started and every Korean dramas seemslike deja vu. I am now laying low on Kdramas.

Rhawnie May 5, 2017 - edited

I don't have nearly as much experience in this field as you do but I'm telling you that there is variety here. If you're only referring to K-dramas then I can understand your frustration, however, if you are speaking about all the dramas you've watched lately I suggest you break away from your norm and intrests and try some new things( Just trying to say switch it up a little if you havent) :) . I tend to stick to romance genres, with twists so Taiwanese, Japenese, Chinese and Thailand dramas are frquently watched by me. they are absolutely Amazing. (Of course, this is all going on my preferences) Recommendations: JDrama-Kuzu no Honkai ,etc.Taiwanese: My Lucky Star and The Devil Beside Me, Autumn's Concerto Thailand: (my preference is mostly BL here so not gonna drop any titles) Chinese: Please don't kiss me, etc. KDramas(that I have found different): Secret, A love to kill, Mask & Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo,etc. There are much more but these are some examples hopefully there is at least one you haven't watched yet. Etc. means that there are some i have watched but cant recall atm. HMU if you found any to your liking so i can recomend something else.

AnanyaS's most recent articles...