Drama Spotlight: Chicago Typewriter

Currently Watching: Chicago Typewriter

WARNING: MINOR SPOILERS!

Han Se Ju - The Brilliant Writer

jLl99J23_b7def9_f.jpg

Han Se Ju (Yoo Ah In) is a very successful, best-selling author. He is the reincarnation of Hui Young, who lived in the 1930s. Han Se Ju has a prickly personality, which majorly comes from the fact that he was abandoned and betrayed when he was young. Because of this, he doesn't trust people easily. Even if someone does something for him, his first instinct is to doubt them, instead of being thankful. However, throughout the drama, his personality, slowly but steadily, improves a lot.

Yoo Jin Oh - The Ghostwriter

71NQQ6e4_c69fc0_f.jpg

Yoo Jin (Go Kyung Pyo) is a character that's shrouded in mystery. Broadly speaking, he is described as the ghostwriter who works for Han Se Ju. But there's definitely more to him than that.

Jeon Seol - The [Anti (?)] Fan

Jeon-Seol (Im Soo Yung), as she likes to call herself, is the 'number 1 fan' of Han Se Ju. Aside from fangirling over him, she runs a 'Do Anything' business. She is also a trained shooter and a vet, both of which careers she had to quit because of some reasons. Jeon Seol is the reincarnation of Ryu Soo Hyun, who was an expert sniper during the 1930s and was part of the rebel forces.

Now, this is one thing I'm a bit confused about - according to the summary, Jeon Seol's character is supposed to be an anti-fan. However, it hasn't been shown so, so far in the drama. Unless it was supposed to be a very temporary matter. Then the description might be right.

M4POOgO3_21171f_f.jpg

TRY THIS DRAMA OUT BECAUSE:

The Cinematography is Just... Beautiful

Speaking on an overall note, the cinematography of this drama is simply amazing. The locations, the set, the camera angle - everything is shot perfectly.

My one favorite place in the drama is Han Se Ju's house. It is the dream place for every person who has ever loved books. It's a book heaven, to be precise.

b1zkk9JL_9b0872_f.jpg

61G00bNL_74b878_f.jpg

Yoo Ah In looks H.O.T. in the 1930s attire.

I think the pictures speak for themselves.

r1wzz7M4_648c93_f.jpg

e1099BoL_f362a9_f.jpg

You'll Love the OT3

It's very rare to find the good OT3 (at least, that's the way it is for me). But this one is definitely a very likable one. No matter which century it is - may it be the 1900s or the 2000s, the OT3 will win your heart. Even if there are some...complications in their relationship in present times.

tumblr_opwfasquDI1qex6hmo2_540.gif  tumblr_op1pj52X2B1w785vro4_r1_400.gif

Yoo Jin Oh is Like a Cute Puppy

Yup, once again, a very puppy-like second lead has graced our screens. And I mean this in the cutest, adorable, and irresistible way.

The way he reacts to things, especially when watching variety shows and dramas, are so so cute. His interactions and mannerisms, overall, I really, really love it.

X3b00Wk1_58c3a5_f.jpg MLOOOAYL_f88f56_f.jpg

The OST Will Give You 'the feels

The music director of the drama is Nam Hye Seung, whose other popular works include Goblin, Jealousy Incarnate, The Good Wife, Queen In Hyeon's Man etc. The music of the drama gives off a haunting and melodic vibe. There have been four tracks released so far, each one beautiful and amazing in its own way. But one song that's stuck in my head is 'Satellite Love' by Saltnpaper. I don't know if it's the way they play the song in particular scenes, or something else, but every time I hear this song, I'm swept away with a nostalgic feeling. Needless to say, I'm completely in love with this song.

The other songs, namely, 'Blooming Memories' by Baek Yerin, 'Writing Our Stories' by SG Wannabe and 'Be My Light' by Kevin Oh are just as addicting!

The 1930s Story is Just as Intriguing

When I first started the drama, for me, the 1930s story was just serving as a base for the present story. While it is that, it's also so much more. Now, I'm so much involved in the 1930s story. How did the fate of the three friends turn out? How did the OTP fall in love in the past? And a lot of more questions, which are slowly unraveled in each episode.

ct-dance-start.gif  ct-dance-2.gif

74Kee2YL_0844a8_f.jpg  l4jBBkb4_2f857f_f.jpg

The Bromance is Simply Adorable

If compared to other dramas, I won't say the bromance in this drama is very strong (not to say it's weak either). And yet, it manages to hit you right in the heart. The way Yoo Jin Oh follows Han Se Ju around. The way Han Se Ju sometimes seems bothered, and sometimes thankful because of Yoo Jin Oh. The way they interact with each other. Everything about this duo is just too cute.

tumblr_opvg8ySLE81vhkfqso1_400.gif   tumblr_op8g6fyyeH1vhkfqso5_400.gif

f095b6e0b303db88f6b6cac4d4031ad4cad53f0f

Because of the OTP

The persistent fan and the distrustful and brilliant writer. The push and pull story of these two is very interesting to watch. Not just in the present, but the past story, as well.

And the kiss scenes...well, you gotta watch it to know it (^_~)

20a83f4e6722fca9d4ad7cc75e6a076c99c362bd tumblr_oot9gzqWEn1qisd43o7_r1_400.gif

tumblr_opx9qbaOvN1vhkfqso2_540.gif

And if nothing else convinces you, watch it for this guy (^_^)

mLnppoG4_bb7314_f.jpg

Are you currently watching Chicago Typewriter?

What are your thoughts on the drama? Comment below!

I hope you give this drama a chance! Happy watching and thanks for reading!

P.S. image credit goes to owners

myt124 May 31, 2017

This drama is a masterpiece plus I love Yoo Ah In and Go Kyung Pyo!

Awww the GIFs in this article. 10/10

ninja May 27, 2017 - edited

The moment they played Sattelite Love (during the ending of ep1) was the moment I realized that this drama will take over my life. AND I LOVE IT

pammo1949 May 27, 2017

This is an imaginative and flawless Korean drama that transcends the usual cliche type dramas. The more you watch - the more addictive it becomes. It is paced well and the easy transition from present to past amazes me -- one of my biggest complaints about dramas that attempts to intermingle scenes from the past into the present I agree - with the author of this article - a MUST WATCH - especially if you like Quality of acting, writing, cinematography and direction. An artistic dream for the viewer. Don't let the complexity or weirdness of the first few episodes stop you for forging forward -- it won't be long before everything you viewed will be explained and make you more committed to viewing.

Rapmoniee May 26, 2017

love this drama too much especially when our OTP is appear...

FoodliftingFairy May 26, 2017

I'm loving this drama: the story is well written, the cinematography amazing and the "Satellite Love" is beautiful!
    BTW, I'm sooo happy that Go Kyung Pyo will finally be the lead character and not the second male lead, even if in this drama he is more than the SML, he moves the story forward!

Banada6 May 26, 2017 - edited

Love this drama One of my favorite . I totally agree with all the reasons especially the cinematography . I will always say this drama has its own charm .

peacefulsoul May 26, 2017 - edited

currently watching, what i love most about it is our cute puppy jin oh, 1930 scenes(the more the better the episode is for me), satellite love. its a very unique drama.

iamgeralddd May 26, 2017

i'm usually really picky towards dramas (i don't watch a lot) and i tend to avoid fantasy genre..what made me watch Chicago Typewriter, is because YAI and GKP is in it! And..i love it so much :) They reveal the 1930s bits by bits in every episodes,this drama might seem slow to some people, but i'm enjoying it.. And one important thing is that i can't even guess what will happen in the next episode..so much fun :)

WinddMiLL May 26, 2017

So I'm not the only one who have those feelings about that song... Well, it's really hard to catch me with the OST, but it's not the only thing about this drama. I just fell in love with the characters especially with them from 1930s.
    Hah, I was just waiting for that article to appear - thank you for your hard work :)

Savi May 26, 2017

Watching the drama after seeing this article.. First episode was interesting.. Let's see how this goes..

Aya May 26, 2017

Nice article, you made me want to watch it. I'm going to start it after my exams :)

kurage May 26, 2017

The few first episodes wasnt really convincing but it got a lot better along the way and now I can confidently say this is masterpiece, perfect and my favorite at the moment. The mystery, romance, sweet relationship between the characters, and pace of the story are all perfectly written, not to mention all those emotional ost.. Ah! They should release another ost anytime soon!! I bet it'll be another eargasm-emotional one

Unnie25 May 26, 2017

This drama should be way more popular. It is an absolute masterpiece.

MrBanana May 25, 2017 - edited

This is a gem that many people sadly will miss, but true drama fans will passionately keep talking about it for years to come.

AnanyaS's most recent articles...