Currently Watching: Queen for Seven Days

Currently Watching: Queen for Seven Days

Queen for Seven Days is a currently airing sageuk (historical) drama, and although there are many other similar dramas to choose from, this one is certainly on the top of my list. In total, this drama will have 30 episodes, with two episodes per week airing on Monday and Tuesday. You do not want to miss out on this gem!

e109XRnL_075d22_f.jpg

Synopsis (so far):

Queen for Seven Days follows the story of a rivalry between brothers Yi Yeok and Yi Yoong, a rivalry not only for the throne but also for our heroine. During their childhood, the two brothers shared a close relationship, but the tensions of the fight for the throne tore them apart. (This story will set up the base for the rest of the story through a flashback in the first couple of episodes, starring some extremely talented child actors!)

81yYMRK1_29dabc_f.jpg

Characters:

One of my favorite aspects of Queen for Seven Days that makes it so enjoyable to watch are our main characters. They are all written with complexities and not a single one of them feels out of place, with each one of them contributing greatly to the plot. In addition, they're all played by some pretty great actors!

l4jBYbx4_7b9ce7_f.jpg

Yi Yeok/Nak-Chun (Yeo Woo Jin)

Yi Yeok is a true fighter who knows how to persevere through nearly everything. After having to go through many sacrifices, he learns not only to be physically strong but mentally strong as well if he wants to protect his loved ones and retrieve the throne. In order to hide his identity of being the prince, he uses the alias Nak-Chun, the leader of the snail-wives. (If you want to read more about the history of the real Yi Yeok, click here.)

X3b0NbV1_e486bb_f.jpg

Shin Chae Kyung (Park Min Young)

On the other hand, we have our goofy heroine, Chae Kyung. She is a girl who felt unwanted due to lack of affection from her parents throughout her childhood. She feels stuck between the two brothers as she longs for her first childhood love, and now a king has possibly fallen in love with her! It only complicates things that her father is Shin Soo Geun (Jang Hyun Sung), a close minister of the king. (If you want to read more about the history of the real Chae Kyung, click here.)

84JQNx63_540e86_f.jpg

Yi Yoong (Lee Dong Gun)

Our final main character is Yoong, the current king. He is constantly paranoid about his brother taking away the throne due to knowing how his father had wanted Yeok to be the king instead of him. If the story follows the real history, he will become one of the worst tyrants of the Joseon dynasty. (If you want to read more about the history of the real Yi Yoong, click here.)

732pNJz1_c6fb56_f.jpg

Reasons to Watch:

This drama is totally worth watching. I am thoroughly enjoying it because, despite a couple of plot sequences that appear frequently in other historical dramas, it does not have a slow pace or any insignificant politics that appear often in other dramas. The political factor in this drama is captivating, and there is not a moment I want to skip!

Not only does it have an intriguing plot, I am in love with the OST. It has a good mix between cheerful and sad songs. All of the songs that have been played thus far have been unforgettable.

If you are still not convinced, watch these trailers:

Let me know in the comments below if you are currently watching along, and if you are enjoying it so far! If not, I hope you give this a shot and let me know what other currently airing dramas you are watching.

Fortuna 16 days ago - edited

I'm out here catching up on Rebel. It's on my list though!

ruby 16 days ago

omggg yess girl rebel is an a+ sageuk too

kez 16 days ago - edited

dont mind me but im going to spill my feels right now because i feel so sad towards the king. i know that chae gyung and the prince are the one for each other but i cant help but ship chae gyung with the king. dont you just love him? he just wants to be loved :(((

ugh the struggle is reaaaaaaaall.
    but ya'll have to see the chemistry between the young prince and young chae gyung!! their chemistry was overflowing asdhajs <3

ruby 16 days ago

lmao i actually really hated the king at first but i feel like he is getting so misunderstood and manipulated and it really does suck

aimsat 17 days ago - edited

I love everything 'bout this drama mainly the romance of the leads OMMGGG!!!!! is to die for...I know I have to be well prepared since loads of tear jerking scenes are upcoming ....but I seriously don't want it to be tragic....it'll shatter my heart into zillion pieces...

ruby 16 days ago

gaH I KNOW IM SO IMPRESSED and im so scared for future episodes lol

Julia 18 days ago - edited

I'm seriously in love with Queen for Seven Days. I think it may become one of my favorite dramas of all time. First 3 minutes of the first episode made me cry and I'm really looking forward to seeing how the plot unravels in upcoming episodes. I love the dynamic between three main characters and I think that actors are doing a great job, everything is so believable and full of emotions. The only minus is that waiting for new episodes is simply killing me!

ruby 18 days ago

dude i know this is a tearfest i'm gonna die when the emotions really hit

Lulu 18 days ago - edited

I really like this drama.

ruby 18 days ago

i'm glad you're giving it a watch! :)

930201_In 18 days ago - edited

I love the male and female leads, their acting skills are so good!

ruby 18 days ago

gah i'm so blown away by the cast so far too

Alekwang 18 days ago - edited

This show is so so so great! I wasn't sure if I should watch it now or wait for it to be completed but omg, I'm glad I did!

ruby 18 days ago

gahhh i lowkey wish i waited for it to all air because the wait every week is killing meeee

101Rubellite 18 days ago - edited

This show is BRILLIANT!!!
    Fantastic cast and the acting is amazing!!
    Definitely the BEST show currently airing....if fact THE BEST show this year!

ruby 18 days ago

every week i'm looking forward to just this drama!

All I can say is- AMAZING ACTING!!!!

ruby 18 days ago

yesssss the acting was daebak

kdramalover 18 days ago

YES! Finally someone wrote an article about Queen for Seven Days even though it is a drama with poor ratings in Korea, it is so interesting and the cast is doing an amazing job.

Taylor 18 days ago - edited

Thank you for writing such a nice article! I'm loving Queen For Seven Days. Hopefully some more people will watch it thanks to your article. The three main actors are wonderful and their characters intriguing. I completely agree with you that it doesn't have a slow pace or any insignificant politics. The political factor in this drama is very captivating, and there is not a moment I want to skip. I usually skip through politics in everything I watch. lol

ruby 18 days ago

oh my god yes half the time all the politics make me snooze to sleep in other dramas

curlyglasses 18 days ago - edited

Thank you for writing an article! I've been making the minds of all my friends and family go crazy because I couldn't understand why they're missing out on SUCH A GOOD SHOW! I hope more people will watch this show now!

ruby 18 days ago

i know! i feel like many people on MDL are overlooking this drama but it is totally worth a try this deserves so much more love<3

sunflower63 18 days ago - edited

Here on MDL it states that this drama has 20 episodes and not 30 so which is the right number? Thanks for writing this article in any case as I am really enjoying this drama. The three main actors are doing an awesome job and honestly I am very involved in the story. I really wish it was longer as every week I am really curious as to what will happen next. :)

ruby 18 days ago

yes.... excuse my many typos but i absolutely agree with your comment. i'm enjoying the gripping plot and love our main trio!

ruby 19 days ago

mini typo sorry guys! queen for seven days airs on Wednesdays and Thursdays:))

(aka rw337)

ruby's most recent articles...