Exploring Character Jobs and Workplace Positions in Dramas

Exploring Character Jobs and Work place positions in Dramas

732pRWw1_5d9cce_f.jpg

From the Courtroom to the Boardroom, to a convenience store or farming, one of the many enjoyments I have in drama watching is catching a glimpse into the many job positions leads and supporting characters are cast in. They can take a dull job in a specific line of work and make it really glamorous! Or a job that is a miserable pit of pain and showcases a triumph of hard work through perseverance.

On many occasions, Leads will have to overcome mounting odds, bad working conditions and rival co-workers to reach their specific goal. There are plenty of stories with troves of themes! If our leads aren’t in school, they are either in a job position or working toward one. Sometimes you have to start at the bottom and work your way up!

Here is just a short collective list:

Gangsters and Thugs:

Tourism:

71g6BZo4_5eb265_f.jpg

Drama: Plus Nine Boys

Regular old retail and Customer Service:

O38QboA4_2aa937_f.jpg

Dramas: Fight for my Way | Heirs

Here are a few more job professions to check out!

Fashion Designers:

Dramas: Fashion King | The Dearest Lady

Publishing / Writers:

Dramas: Sparkling | Chicago Typewriter

Food Industry:

Dramas: Baker King Kim Tak Gu |Bachelor’s vegetable Store

Idols:

Dramas: Dream High | The Best Hit

Match Making and Dating Agencies:

Dramas: Dating Agency Cyrano | Murphy’s Law of Love

Lawyers:

Divorce Lawyer in Love | Suspicious Partner

It has also made me realize the kind of work I would never want to do. Such as never be a gangster, and police work seems like it could be very dangerous. The food industry can also be really stressful during peak hours when people are hungry!  However, the charm of office romances has me fascinated.  Have you ever been inspired by a character’s job position enough to consider or explore the option yourself?

Even with Supernatural elements like in Goblin, there is work to be done:

pLZValwL_d6bd35_f.jpg

Another issue in the work place are those good ol’ office politics and climbing the ladder of power. While some characters will do their honest hard day’s work, others will backstab, cheat, lie and in more thriller scenarios even kill off another character in their attempt to rise to the top. While work place drama will happen IRL between staff it’s likely not as extreme as depicted in televised Dramas.

Seeing these characters follow their dreams and passions is very satisfying when the reach their achievements by their sheer effort. The idea that anything could be possible with hard work, the right training, and continuous practice is visually inspiring. The working class in dramas is indeed very diverse!

Here is a drama focussed on the fine art of Tea, where you can catch a glimpse of the intricate details of how tea is made along with some rivalry and romance!

Tea Love

W47QYJvL_5d3390_f.jpg

Do you have favourite job professions you enjoy seeing played out in dramas?

xxMayaxx 3 days ago

lawyers: a new leaf l classical musicians: beethoven virus l reporter: jealousy incarnate, pied piper, pinocchio l doctor: brain, it's okay that's love l variety pd: the producers l drama director: the world that they live in

Kerri 3 days ago

Police/Dectective: 38 Task Force

allicya 8 days ago

Sound engineer in Another Miss Oh. His job is very interesting.

Nor 13 days ago - edited

Tourism: Scent of a woman :)

HiragahamaKyouma 15 days ago - edited

prosecutors , Secret Forest and Defendant

hela 15 days ago

nice article! when i see characters work or study in a drama it gets me motivated in work too, and i totally picture myself being a side character lol
    i also gotta confess that watching crime dramas made me more open minded towards the police..

Ansuya 15 days ago - edited

I would love to see IT Professionals and gamers like in Rich man Poor woman, Love O20 and Lucky Romance. I am very much looking forward to leading lady being a super smart IT gal.

sof 15 days ago

idk if its in the bracket but def watch phantom from 2012!! its more into cyberworld + detective side but i remember they dealt with computers and whatnots! check it out :)

HappySqueak 16 days ago - edited

I liked Love Rain, since male lead is a photographer in it and that's what my side job is. But I really enjoy office Romances and CEO's falling for poor regular girl...hehehe

KangJieun 15 days ago

The female lead in Tomorrow With You is a photographer, I'm currently watching this drama and am enjoying it so far, so maybe you'd be interested in it!

HappySqueak 14 days ago

thank-you! I will take a look

SarahEm 16 days ago

I have to admit, Pinocchio made being a reporter look interesting

userbmc 16 days ago - edited

I think a lot of Jdramas have stories about workplace! Dame na Watashi ni Koishite Kudasai (restaurant and office), Totsuzen Desu ga, Ashita Kekkon Shimasu (journalist), Boku, Unmei no Hito desu (office). I think all these 3 are very good dramas :)
    But I often watch law and medical dramas because they are more popular. However, I love office scenario because the story is not too imature. But I think spoiled CEO can be really boring all the time.

princessofsummer 15 days ago

Yes! Too bad the article didn't mention much of Japanese dramas because I think they had more variety when it comes to job portrayals. From being paralegal to a loan manager, from ice hockey player to men who run a “benriya” (odd jobs for hire), they're totally creative. And due to Jdoramas mostly being episodic, the jobs had a very huge impact on the story. It's the drivers of the plot most of the times, as opposed to K-dramas which are heavily character driven.

Then again, from a point of view of a very ordinary office woman, they're all interesting to me.

YuanWei 14 days ago

someone could write an article specifically about Japanese dramas or other country. It will be nice to see what other jobs they explore. :D

[Editor's recommendation lolz :D]

DramaQueen 16 days ago - edited

Definitely soldiers in DOTS ❤️️❤️️

egg-mont 16 days ago

I actually love watching dramas about teachers.. usually, these dramas are mostly focused on students and stuff but I love it when dramas get realistic about teachers as well

Clara014 16 days ago - edited

Cool article! Tea Love looks interesting (you can really find a drama with any profession it it, lol).

Dana1004 16 days ago - edited

Thanks to Romantic doctor Kim I found my dream job actually!
    I never thought i would be a scrub nurse but here i am ???
    I always thought super low of myself ( that i can never do such hard job ), but now i am loving it! Thanks to Dr. Do In Beom!

kura2ninja 15 days ago

Oh, a scrub nurse like the great Nurse Oh? (No pun intended.) That's amazing!

Dana1004 15 days ago

Yes exactly! :)

LoveAsianWorld 16 days ago - edited

I absolutely love dramas with a law or medcal part in it. Once, I wanted to be a lawyer; prosecutor or judge and when the time came to do a 2-week long practical work experience thingy in 9th grade of middle school, I went to the court in my city. It was super interesting but now I am much more interested in medicine. That doesn't mean that I'm not interested in law anymore though. I gained that interest through dramas and I am definetely going to work in that field after having completed an internship at a hospital for a week.
    People say dramas are not reality and you gain nothing but entertainment from it but I can absolutely say that this is not true. Dramas have helped me find interest in a work field to specialize in after graduating! So I would really recommend to just try and do an internship if you have found something which seems like a nice job option if you can!!!

HappySqueak's most recent articles...