City of Life and Death takes place in 1937, during the height of the Second Sino-Japanese War. The Imperial Japanese Army has just captured the then-capital of the Republic of China, Nanjing. What followed was known as the Nanking Massacre, or the Rape of Nanking, a period of several weeks wherein tens of thousands of Chinese soldiers and civilians were killed. The film tells the story of several figures, both historical and fictional, including a Chinese soldier, a schoolteacher, a Japanese soldier, a foreign missionary, and John Rabe, a Nazi businessman who would ultimately save thousands of Chinese civilians.
- Men Behind the Sun (1988)Hong Kong Movie
Add Cast Cast
Write a Review More ReviewsReviews
Make a Recommendation More recs.Recommendations
- Main Title: Nanjing! Nanjing!
- Native title: 南京！南京！
- Also Known as: City Of Life And Death
- Released Date: April 22, 2009
Average Duration 2 hr. 12 min.
- Genres: Military, Historical, Drama
- Score: 8.75 (scored by 16 users)
- Ranked: #NA
- Popularity: #1176
- Members: 42
- Favorites: 0