When you watch an anime or read a manga, which genres do you prefer?
*bump*

So far comedy and romance are the most popular. :) Not too surprising. I'm glad to see that science fiction and fantasy are getting some love too. ^^
I think action (detective) comes first then Sports then Romance (Shoujo to be precise because I dislike romance only animes)
CheerfulSoul wrote: I think action (detective) comes first then Sports then Romance (Shoujo to be precise because I dislike romance only animes)

haha Yeah, I was debating if I should make shoujo or shounen choices, but I knew that romance and action kinda covered those areas. I made sure to leave an option for "other" just in case. Like you, I prefer shoujo rather than anime that are only romance focused. :)
I voted for a few, but its hard for me.
Because some genres I enjoy more, I tend to search for more, and also watch more. At the same time, I am more picky, grade them more strictly perhaps, and just from having a larger sample size, the average score for that genre is not as high as one would expect.

All these underlying factors often confuse even myself when I wonder what is my favourite genre.

All in all, I voted Comedy, Science Fiction, Romance, Food, and Sports.

However, a simple click into mal.oko shows that my favourite genre per weighted score is
#1 Adventure/Slice of Life 7.41
#3 Comedy 7.38
#4 Mystery 7.34
#5 Police 7.30

Sports is #12 at 7.15, Science Fiction is #29 at 6.98, Romance at #31 at 6.96. No genre for food.

On the other hand, if I was to sort under total time watched.
#1 Comedy 1469.37h
@2 Action 1158.27h
#3 Adventure 829.27h
#4 Drama 813.8h
#5 Super Power 741.93h

with Science Fiction at #6 at 604.38h, Romance at #8 at 464.97h, Sports in #24 at 76.57h.

I am too lazy to type more but if I was to sort by titles completed, it shows roughly the same story as time completed.
COmedy/ScienceFi/Drama/Action/Romance.....

another reason why stats would make MDL so lovely.
http://mal.oko.im/banniemd2b/favs

basically, romance/science fiction i have watched a number of titles but have a lower average score for those genres. w/ data confounded by lots of different issues as mentioned above.
^That's very interesting. I just looked at my favorites and they have drama and romance as my top two genres. lol I personally consider fantasy and science fiction to be my top two. Perhaps you are right and we just grade our favorites more harshly. ^^
Whoa! There have been a lot of votes since I last checked. :D
Action with Comedy.
Comedy, Romance & Fantasy ^^
hmmm I picked Comedy, Action and Romance. I also like shoujo and shounen-ai =3 my tastes are pretty varied though, I'll watch pretty much anything, but I'm really not into mecha
ladyfaile wrote: hmmm I picked Comedy, Action and Romance. I also like shoujo and shounen-ai =3 my tastes are pretty varied though, I'll watch pretty much anything, but I'm really not into mecha

I love the shoujo and shounen ai too. I watch and read most stuff, I guess the genres that I pay the least amount of attention to would be historical and sports. However, I've still seen/read some from both of those. :)
I watch almost all types, but I love Mecha, Action, Fantasy and Romance ( which is weird for me since I hate most romance/romcom dramas, books...). The genre I've kind of always pushed aside has been sports. I think I've never watched a sports anime.
*bump* There are a lot of new members lately. I'm curious to see if there are more anime fans and what types they like. :D
Well, uhm, not that I'm exactly new but I've never voted and I like anime, so I took the liberty to make my choice. And since I voted "other", here is my comment. I picked other because for me the best anime out there is one that's based on a mix of genres. I'd pick psychological/thriller/mystery/drama first My second choice would be sci-fi/slice of life/drama then space/slice of life/drama Then sports/slice of life/romance. In short I like comprehensive stories which incorporate elements of many genres. Only after many many possible combinations I would pick single genre titles. And then my choice would be slice of life, then family and only after that--- romcom. . Anime romcoms tend to be quite endearing. I like Itazura na kiss in anime version for one.
Sandrose wrote: Well, uhm, not that I'm exactly new but I've never voted and I like anime, so I took the liberty to do make my choice. And since I voted "other", here is my comment.

I picked other because for me the best anime out there is one that's based on a mix of genres. I'd pick psychological/thriller/mystery/drama first My second choice would be sci-fi/slice of life/drama then space/slice of life/drama
Then sports/slice of life/romance.

In short I like comprehensive stories which incorporate elements of many genres. Only after many many possible combinations I would pick single genre titles. And then my choice would be slice of life, then family and only after that--- romcom. . Anime romcoms tend to be quite endearing. I like Itazura na kiss in anime version for one.

Great choices! I wish I could have fit all of the genres in this poll, since there are a ton of other great ones. ^^ I also enjoy the psychological and mystery types. ^^ Have you ever seen Serial Experiments Lain? It's one of my favorite psychological anime. :)