Hi MDL! I wanted to open a thread to start posting poetry and stories that we write. These can be about anything--so long as they don't violate the rules of the site. Also, constructive criticism is appreciated, but remember to be respectful of others when you make observations. I'll start. Below is a poem that I wrote in 2005 as I struggled with the transition to college: ?The Journey to Adulthood? The shiny, silvery salt replays A life well worn down with age And strife; its master calleth me along To seas of imperial birth and stature But for much of my rational faculty He wanteth not to budge, to stay He must; and teach me a while longer. December 14, 2005 Hate it? Love it? Let me know and feel free to post your work too.
How about this? My English teacher in Elementary School made us write our own limericks. So I wrote one about my cat. She said the language was inappropriate for school. haha let me know what you think. (This was in third grade I think)

There once was a cat named Spooky.
He was really very kooky.
He licked his paws.
He had no claws.
And he stunk up the house with dookie.
I love it! I don't think it's inappropriate at all. That's one thing I learned from my college Poetry Professor, that nothing is inappropriate. I could tell you stories of some of the poems written in that class.
Sleepninja wrote: How about this? My English teacher in Elemntary School made us write our own limericks. So I wrote one about my cat. She said itthe language was inappropriate for school. haha let me know what you think. (This was in third grade I think)

There once was a cat named Spooky.
He was really very kooky.
He licked his paws.
He had no claws.
And he stunk up the house with dookie.

bawhahahahahaha... teachers can be so ignorant at times. This is a classic. One day, ill have your autograph. :p
I wrote the following in April 2008: Red Light Thoughts are shaded Not wanting to surface But surfacing to track me Night after night Like a surveillance worthy Of Big Brother. They Trample a good taste, And bastardize fresh fruits Codifing worm-infested Words and feelings. Chasing Me through measureless gardens Of deceit and passion The latter the most painful I am caught in Mazes and Puzzles The mind cannot process.
I wrote this poem last December 2008.. (^-^)... Sinfonia Stagione (Seasons‘ Symphony) Sounds mingle harmoniously Voices mutate as seasons’ ingress and wend, Spring, summer, autumn then winter. Each passed by, crooning different lullabies. Singing in diverse pitch, Akin to a heart now in vain. Flowers bloom, spring waltzed. A dreamy nocturne is its sound, Played in adagio. Slow in tempo From a seed growing dilatorily, Now a new love had blossomed. Summer becomes a balladeer. Serenading expressively, The new blossomed love now in agilmente. Lively and passionate. Affretando! Hurrying for sedulity, From someone who owns thine summer’s ballad. But then autumn had its interlude. Its melody in dolorosso, Sad, tearful, monotonous. Pitch in addolorato, in sorrow. As the leaves fall, caress by the wind, So as thy hope for love in return. Winter sonata’s tune, Now as chilling and shivering as ice. Love is frozen. All the merry tunes have ended. What is left now, only a sad song, Sang by a heart in lamentation. Seasons have its own symphony. Lively yet sorrowful in the end. Just like a heart deeply in love, Will hum an exciting piece at first. Still will end up with a mournful one And hope for a real spring to emanate someday.
Lovegood wrote: I wrote this poem last December 2008..
(^-^)...

Sinfonia Stagione (Seasons‘ Symphony)

Sounds mingle harmoniously
Voices mutate as seasons’ ingress and wend,
Spring, summer, autumn then winter.
Each passed by, crooning different lullabies.
Singing in diverse pitch,
Akin to a heart now in vain.

Flowers bloom, spring waltzed.
A dreamy nocturne is its sound,
Played in adagio.
Slow in tempo
From a seed growing dilatorily,
Now a new love had blossomed.

Summer becomes a balladeer.
Serenading expressively,
The new blossomed love now in agilmente.
Lively and passionate.
Affretando! Hurrying for sedulity,
From someone who owns thine summer’s ballad.

But then autumn had its interlude.
Its melody in dolorosso,
Sad, tearful, monotonous.
Pitch in addolorato, in sorrow.
As the leaves fall, caress by the wind,
So as thy hope for love in return.

Winter sonata’s tune,
Now as chilling and shivering as ice.
Love is frozen.
All the merry tunes have ended.
What is left now, only a sad song,
Sang by a heart in lamentation.

Seasons have its own symphony.
Lively yet sorrowful in the end.
Just like a heart deeply in love,
Will hum an exciting piece at first.
Still will end up with a mournful one
And hope for a real spring to emanate someday.

That's gorgeous and a million other adjectives. Your imagery and use of vocabulary is astounding. Do you prefer free verse to rhyme like I do?
White Guilt Uncle M was Never spoken of I don’t even remember The year he died. That’s how little he’s been mentioned In 20 years. Uncle M had . I never hugged him. I could have been That support group. I wrote this for a class in poetry at university, but it has amazing significance to my life and how I feel about treating others with respect. Enjoy! :D
Wow I must say I am stunned by all this poetry!It´s paethic but I must admit that there were words I didn´t understand at first..... MAybe I really should begin again with writing poems as well. I have a question because I wondered about that...do you write your poems in english or your native language??? I am just curious:) Btw sleepy your teacher was just ignorant being.Your poem is great :D
Mirichan wrote: Wow I must say I am stunned by all this poetry!It´s paethic but I must admit that there were words I didn´t understand at first.....
MAybe I really should begin again with writing poems as well.
I have a question because I wondered about that...do you write your poems in english or your native language??? I am just curious:)
Btw sleepy your teacher was just ignorant being.Your poem is great :D

English is my native language, but I have written poems in Spanish before. None of them are really good because I wrote them when I was just starting to use the language. I should probably write some though.
yankumicho wrote: English is my native language, but I have written poems in Spanish before. None of them are really good because I wrote them when I was just starting to use the language. I should probably write some though.

Hmm ok thanks!I just wondered because when I would want to show mine here them I would need to translate them then and it wouldn't be as original then!:)
Mirichan wrote: Hmm ok thanks!I just wondered because when I would want to show mine here them I would need to translate them then and it wouldn't be as original then!:)

You can still post it! :D English isn't the only language of poetry; besides, I love figuring out things with language. If you want to translate--that's okay too. I won't think it's less original.
yankumicho wrote: That's gorgeous and a million other adjectives. Your imagery and use of vocabulary is astounding. Do you prefer free verse to rhyme like I do?

yes... I prefer free verse... I'm not quite good in rhyming... (^-^)... I'm pretty lazy in finding words that would rhyme... hoho
Mirichan wrote: Wow I must say I am stunned by all this poetry!It´s paethic but I must admit that there were words I didn´t understand at first.....
MAybe I really should begin again with writing poems as well.
I have a question because I wondered about that...do you write your poems in english or your native language??? I am just curious:)
Btw sleepy your teacher was just ignorant being.Your poem is great :D

I write poems in english and my native language (Filipino)... (^-^)...
yankumicho wrote: That's gorgeous and a million other adjectives. Your imagery and use of vocabulary is astounding. Do you prefer free verse to rhyme like I do?

Oh... and thank you for the compliment (^-^)... I forgot to say thanks in my previous reply... hoho...
your poems are amazing too!