Among the romantic dramas I've watched which involve a second lead, I don't remember ever shipping for the second, with the notable exception of Boys Before Flowers - and in much lesser degree Hana Yori Dango. I'd have paid to see Jan Di end up with Ji Hoo, while I'm still convinced Makino should have kept a double liaison with both Domyoji and Rui. LOL

Nevertheless, I often read of people complaining about the main character never loving the good guy - and occasionally the good girl. I understand their frustration, but I wish I comprehended what that "good" means.
I don't believe there are good or bad people in general when we talk about love. In my views, there are only people more suited for one type of character than another.

I'd love to hear your opinion and in case you are the second lead shipper, why do you think a different choice by the protagonist would have been better for him/her?

Thank you in advance. :)
I understand what you mean....I two wanted to see Jan Di with Ji Hoo, and in Hong Gil Dong,
I also wanted to see Yi Nok with Chang Hwi.... And I also was on the side of the "Good Gun Woo" in Beethoven Virus...

One of the very few times I prefered the "bad guy" was in You're Beautiful, and Mary Stayed out all night...
wait....I think I'm just on Jang Geun Seok side....
Juniko wrote: I two
....Need I remind anyone here that English is not my mother language ?
Hum....sorry, exit Juniko
I usually like the second lead more than the main lead. It's not always that way though, it just depends on the personality of the male leads. If the main lead is just a complete jerk, I have a hard time looking past that. I hate arrogance, and a lot of times the main lead is very arrogant.
Sleepninja wrote: I usually like the second lead more than the main lead. It's not always that way though, it just depends on the personality of the male leads. If the main lead is just a complete jerk, I have a hard time looking past that. I hate arrogance, and a lot of times the main lead is very arrogant.

Yes, it makes annoyed that after treating them like dirt for a lot of time, they win over the nice guy who was always there for them.

And Ji Hoo, I can smack him in the head. Jan Di (or whatever her name is) liked him first and he wasted a perfectly good opportunity. In the later episodes, I kept talking to the screen: ""Now you love her, right? STUPID MAN!
Hahahaha, you're all very vehement in you likes and dislikes - and so am I, actually. :D
But none of you has explained to me why being always there for someone should be a prerequisite to be loved romantically.
Brothers/sisters are always there too, and so are good friends, but we don't fall in love with them, do we?

It seems to me - please forgive me for voicing what is in deed just an impression - that you like one character and so you would like this character to have his/her romance. But aren't you forgetting the needs of those involved?
amrita828 wrote: Hahahaha, you're all very vehement in you likes and dislikes - and so am I, actually. :D
But none of you has explained to me why being always there for someone should be a prerequisite to be loved romantically.
Brothers/sisters are always there too, and so are good friends, but we don't fall in love with them, do we?

It seems to me - please forgive me for voicing what is in deed just an impression - that you like one character and so you would like this character to have his/her romance. But aren't you forgetting the needs of those involved?

I have an example though of one thing that most people overlook. My example is the Jdrama Hana Yori Dango. Sure Domyoji improves his temperament toward the end of the drama. But in the beginning, he orders a bunch of guys to basically rape Makino and beat her up. Would you be able to feel safe with a guy that is capable of that? I would be worried that he would try something like that again and would fear for my safety.
Sleepninja wrote: I have an example though of one thing that most people overlook. My example is the Jdrama Hana Yori Dango. Sure Domyoji improves his temperament toward the end of the drama. But in the beginning, he orders a bunch of guys to basically rape Makino and beat her up. Would you be able to feel safe with a guy that is capable of that? I would be worried that he would try something like that again and would fear for my safety.

Exactly: this is a reason, and a very good one at that. Furthermore, given Makino's temper, I never got rid of the feeling their pairing was not a balanced one.
Rui, on the other hand, had the ability to get the best out of her: with him she was a better person and he came out of his aloofness. The same goes with the Korean version. Jun Pyo simply learned to love a girl and for her - and her alone - was ready to go to any length. But as a person he had no development whatsoever. He did not become a better friend, or a more understanding person in general terms. He went on living his life as the steamroller he actually was in the beginning, with the sole difference that now he can do it with the aid of Jan Di.

On a side note: as far as I know, the original manga writer wanted to have Makino & Rui end up together, but "pressure" from the fans, who went crazy about this story, induced him to change the plot. Of course we can discuss about the propriety of changing the plot based on such a consensus, but it would be a completely different discussion and one I personally know too little about.

But I am at a loss to understand why, among many others, a character like Go Mi Nam would be better suited with Shin Woo. As a couple, those two would just wilt. They are too similar, both so forgiving that they would let themselves be trampled over by the first pass-byer.
Nor I understand what good would come out of pairing Mary from MSOAN with ... what's his name? The one who slept in his suit. :P
I could go on with Zenkai Girl, Ikemen desu ne, It started with a kiss, My Girl (K), or others I haven't watched LOL.
amrita828 wrote: Exactly: this is a reason, and a very good one at that. Furthermore, given Makino's temper, I never got rid of the feeling their pairing was not a balanced one.
Rui, on the other hand, had the ability to get the best out of her: with him she was a better person and he came out of his aloofness. The same goes with the Korean version. Jun Pyo simply learned to love a girl and for her - and her alone - was ready to go to any length. But as a person he had no development whatsoever. He did not become a better friend, or a more understanding person in general terms. He went on living his life as the steamroller he actually was in the beginning, with the sole difference that now he can do it with the aid of Jan Di.

On a side note: as far as I know, the original manga writer wanted to have Makino & Rui end up together, but "pressure" from the fans, who went crazy about this story, induced him to change the plot. Of course we can discuss about the propriety of changing the plot based on such a consensus, but it would be a completely different discussion and one I personally know too little about.

But I am at a loss to understand why, among many others, a character like Go Mi Nam would be better suited with Shin Woo. As a couple, those two would just wilt. They are too similar, both so forgiving that they would let themselves be trampled over by the first pass-byer.
Nor I understand what good would come out of pairing Mary from MSOAN with ... what's his name? The one who slept in his suit. :P
I could go on with Zenkai Girl, Ikemen desu ne, It started with a kiss, My Girl (K), or others I haven't watched LOL.

Haha Yeah I agree. But I also sometimes fall for the second lead not because I think he would be more suited for the girl, but because I like his personality ore than the main leads. In other words, I don't think he should end up with the girl. It's just that I, personally, think his character is better.
Sleepninja wrote: I have an example though of one thing that most people overlook. My example is the Jdrama Hana Yori Dango. Sure Domyoji improves his temperament toward the end of the drama. But in the beginning, he orders a bunch of guys to basically rape Makino and beat her up. Would you be able to feel safe with a guy that is capable of that? I would be worried that he would try something like that again and would fear for my safety.

amrita828 wrote: Hahahaha, you're all very vehement in you likes and dislikes - and so am I, actually. :D

Brothers and sisters are not always there, but this has not been my case.

Like SleepNinja mentioned, how can you fall head over heels for someone who tried, and succeeded for a moment, to make your life miserable. In BBF, Jun Pyo's "red card" is cause for the bullying she has to go through. Even after he "loves" her, she still has to endure more bullying directly from him. If it was me, I would not be able to stand the sight of that person. Does one act of niceness really erase the bad ones, even the big ones? Sometimes I wonder if most of these drama leading ladies are suffering from something similar to the Stockholm syndrome.
This is such a huge phenomenon. ;) I would say about 90% of the time I am never a second lead shipper. But here is the small list of dramas where the second lead deserved the girl and I was a little sad it didn't happen.

Shining Inheritance: Bae Soo Bin as Joon Sae. He was so kind and sweet to Eun Sung. He was always there for her. Compared to Woo Hwan he was a saint. Actually compared to anyone he was pretty much a saint. And Cute cute cute. Just goes to show, there is no accounting for taste. (I still marvel at the fact the Lee Seung Gi is such a gentleman in real life and such a cold jerk in SI)

Greatest Love: Yoon Pil Joo. What can I say? Ultimately I did want Dokko Jin to be with Ae Jung but there were so many moments where...Oh who am I kidding? I wanted him for myself! He was perfect in every way. Yummylicious!

I Need Romance: I really really wanted In Young to be with Sung Hyun. (her co-worker/chaebol) I was actually surprised when it started to become clear she would choose Sung Soo. Sung Hyun was a great boyfriend and he loved her so much. It also felt as if she loved him as well. I liked Sung Soo but ultimately, he cheated on her...twice! She should have moved on to bigger and better. I'm still a little bummed.

But at the end of the day I usually don't second lead ship because I know its futile from the get go. If I second lead ship I'll be disappointed every time.
Is there any drama where the good guy wins ????
Juniko wrote: Is there any drama where the good guy wins ????

Queen of Reversals! Park Shi Hoo...Good guy, second lead and he won the girl!
jeanie65jh wrote: Queen of Reversals! Park Shi Hoo...Good guy, second lead and he won the girl!

Wow, I should watch it then...but wait, now I know how it'll end..oh well, I'll watch it anyway.

As for me, although I love the main leads in Hana Yori Dango, Oguri Shun was so great as Rui, that I wouldn't mind him getting the girl. But then, they were really made to be friends, there was deep understanding between them, but no passion.

The other story I felt really conflicted about was You're beautiful, but I'm not thinking about Shinwoo (he was really like an older brother to her), but Jeremy.... I know that he was practically a third lead, and he was there mainly to bring humor into the drama, but when he got emotional...oh, is there anyone who didn't want to hug him then? He just got perfect- so pure, cute, funny, caring and loving. Lee Hong Ki was epic in this role. I started wishing there was a drama in which such character triumphs.
jeanie65jh wrote: This is such a huge phenomenon. ;) I would say about 90% of the time I am never a second lead shipper. But here is the small list of dramas where the second lead deserved the girl and I was a little sad it didn't happen.

Shining Inheritance: Bae Soo Bin as Joon Sae. He was so kind and sweet to Eun Sung. He was always there for her. Compared to Woo Hwan he was a saint. Actually compared to anyone he was pretty much a saint. And Cute cute cute. Just goes to show, there is no accounting for taste. (I still marvel at the fact the Lee Seung Gi is such a gentleman in real life and such a cold jerk in SI)

Greatest Love: Yoon Pil Joo. What can I say? Ultimately I did want Dokko Jin to be with Ae Jung but there were so many moments where...Oh who am I kidding? I wanted him for myself! He was perfect in every way. Yummylicious!

I Need Romance: I really really wanted In Young to be with Sung Hyun. (her co-worker/chaebol) I was actually surprised when it started to become clear she would choose Sung Soo. Sung Hyun was a great boyfriend and he loved her so much. It also felt as if she loved him as well. I liked Sung Soo but ultimately, he cheated on her...twice! She should have moved on to bigger and better. I'm still a little bummed.

But at the end of the day I usually don't second lead ship because I know its futile from the get go. If I second lead ship I'll be disappointed every time.

We had an interesting debate about the choices in I need romance back on DC. I can't deny that I was torn myself, because Sung Hyun was so wonderfully endearing (not to mention hot) I would have gladly entered the screen to hug him myself.
But what he expected from her was - in my view - worse than cheating. He actually wished for her to change identity, "clean her past", change her name. He made no objection to this crazy plan when it was suggested, nor did he propose any alternative.
I was angry at the writers for shattering my love for his character in such a way. There is no forgiving a man who expects a woman to mould to his own wishes at the cost of her identity and personality.
As I said, I'd rather put up with cheating. Actually, in the end I wished for her to stay away from both, but apparently it couldn't be. They had the model friend to fill up the role of the ultimate independent woman.