I started out watching Korean dramas and had no interest in any other countries at all slowly but surely i have discovered Japanese & Taiwanese dramas too. I was wondering where other peoples loyalties lie/favourites are.
Right now, it's Korea. But I tend to go through phases where I'll want to watch dramas from a certain country. I went through a Japan phase, then a Korea phase, then a Thai phase, now I'm back to Korea. But I have a feeling I'm heading towards a Taiwan phase or another Japan phase :p
I tend to go through phases too, mostly Japanese and Korean, although I've seen Taiwanese dramas (and a Chinese one...lol), but noy enough to be included in my phases. Anyways, I always go back to the Korean ones...<3

so

Korea
I tend to go through phases, too. From Japanese to Korean, to Taiwanese and Chinese ones. But since I started out on Jdramas, I always somehow wind up back at them :p
K > J > C > Ta > Ph > Th
bokami wrote: K > J > C > Ta > Ph > Th

Ah! So you watch dramas from Philippines and Thailand too...Any good Ph ones?
I love them all - except Chinese and Thai, but only because I haven't seen any drama from those two countries.

But I voted Japan because:
1. I find them more surprising. Korea tends to put romance in every soup, at least lately
2. I don't like "fame-waves". Frankly, I'm annoyed by them. The Korean Hallyu one is no exception
3. I love most Asian languages but my favourite is Japanese
4. Japanese doramas were my first love. I go back to them whenever I'm in need of a lift up. And it works.
5. To be worth of this name, a battle needs to be even. And the votes were already 5 to 1 for Korea when I voted.

:)
I've been through phases too, first it was Japanese, then Korean, but for a long while now it's been strictly Japanese. And it's so weird, it's like J-dramas won't let me cheat on them with any other countries lol. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Like amrita said, I LOVE the Japanese language, but the Korean language sounds so whiney sometimes. It's kindof annoying.

I've seen one Taiwanese drama (Hi My Sweetheart) and I loved it, but when I tried to watch another one the goofy openings really threw me off.

Anyway, I'm trying to work a K-drama in (The Princess' Man) but Japan is a jealous woman and she's not letting me get away easily.
SayItAintSoJoe wrote: And it's so weird, it's like J-dramas won't let me cheat on them with any other countries lol. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Like amrita said, I LOVE the Japanese language, but the Korean language sounds so whiney sometimes. It's kindof annoying.

Anyway, I'm trying to work a K-drama in (The Princess' Man) but Japan is a jealous woman and she's not letting me get away easily.

Yep, K-dramas won't let me cheat for long either. I always go back to them...lol I even felt the need to watch some with longer episodes since I watched a 35 episode Chinese drama...lol

LOL, this is interesting. I think Japanese sounds more whiny than Korean, but I think mandarin (I think this is the language of the Tdramas) sounds the whiniest of all. But I've become more used to all of the languages now.

You should finish The Princess' Man. I finished it today at 4:00 AM...lol
SayItAintSoJoe wrote: I've been through phases too, first it was Japanese, then Korean, but for a long while now it's been strictly Japanese. And it's so weird, it's like J-dramas won't let me cheat on them with any other countries lol. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I've seen one Taiwanese drama (Hi My Sweetheart) and I loved it, but when I tried to watch another one the goofy openings really threw me off.

Japanese is also a jealous man, lol.
Therefore, I know what you're talking about and I actually agree with every word. Love the simile. :D
Ironically, two of my all time favourite dramas are Korean, and my favorite actor is Korean too. These 3 exception stand out and shine brightly on an otherwise Japanese long list, lol.

As for the language, it's mostly a question of who speaks what and how. True, Korean is more of a "chanted" language, with tonal peaks and low points. Japanese, on the other hand, isn't tonal at all, has harsher sounds and moves on lower wave lengths (not my personal assumption but a linguistic fact), which makes it sound more "masculine".
All this is thrown out of the window when women try to be kawaii or aegiyo: with them in the picture, everything sounds whiny, I'm afraid.
As for Mandarin, it's a 100% tonal language, so it tends to sound weird to our grammar-based ears.

Sorry... didn't want to write an essay but languages always get me excited. Just ignore me. ;)
DO you have any links where I can read about that? It sounds interesting.
well everyone knows what my vote was.

and my reasons are along the same as amarita's.

1. i love the language. japanese is the 1st language i've ever been motivated to learn so much so that i am teaching myself and moving to japan.
2. the variety of genres in jdramas is vast and so if romance is not ur cup of tea (certainly is not mine) u can still find many entertaining dramas to watch.
3. i tend not to be a bandwagon jumper so even though i know korean dramas are all the rage right now i find it hard to allow myself to get sucked into the kdrama universe and be like everyone else (no offense to anyone). plus handling a jdrama addiction is enough i'm not gonna watch kdramas and add another addiction to my list. this is my method of making sure i can unglue myself from my laptop maintain my social life. lol so i'll pass on kdramas.
Korea and Japan are the ones like the most. But i stated out with Japanese so i always tend to go back but it's harder for japanese shows to get subbed.
LisNoir wrote: Yep, K-dramas won't let me cheat for long either. I always go back to them...lol I even felt the need to watch some with longer episodes since I watched a 35 episode Chinese drama...lol

LOL, this is interesting. I think Japanese sounds more whiny than Korean, but I think mandarin (I think this is the language of the Tdramas) sounds the whiniest of all. But I've become more used to all of the languages now.

You should finish The Princess' Man. I finished it today at 4:00 AM...lol

Yea, I really don't like the mandarin language. It's the worst of all. (No offense to mandarin speaking people). And I'm going to finish the Princess' Man. It's just gonna take me a while to get sucked into.

amrita828 wrote: Japanese is also a jealous man, lol.
Therefore, I know what you're talking about and I actually agree with every word. Love the simile. :D
Ironically, two of my all time favourite dramas are Korean, and my favorite actor is Korean too. These 3 exception stand out and shine brightly on an otherwise Japanese long list, lol.

As for the language, it's mostly a question of who speaks what and how. True, Korean is more of a "chanted" language, with tonal peaks and low points. Japanese, on the other hand, isn't tonal at all, has harsher sounds and moves on lower wave lengths (not my personal assumption but a linguistic fact), which makes it sound more "masculine".
All this is thrown out of the window when women try to be kawaii or aegiyo: with them in the picture, everything sounds whiny, I'm afraid.
As for Mandarin, it's a 100% tonal language, so it tends to sound weird to our grammar-based ears.

Sorry... didn't want to write an essay but languages always get me excited. Just ignore me. ;)

Yeah I love it when Japanese Yankee/Yakuza guys start yelling and acting tough. They kinda have a spanish roll added to their pronunciation. And of course I find it to be extremely cute the way Japanese girls talk. Japanese girls are cute and hyper when they speak but Korean girls are whiny. Here's proof lol -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FZ0hR6UD-M