I found this cool ipod app that shows your name into Japanese. I've used it to translate my name and the names of my family and friends and the results are really funny. If you're studied the Japanese writing systems you know that there are several letters in the roman alphabet that are not included in the Japanese kana but they try to compensate for this in some funny sounding ways.

my name is Thea according to this app my Japanese name is テイア =Teia. it also showed me an alternate version 
トヘア =Tohea. I prefer Teia cuz it's the closest of the 2 to the pronunciation of my name.

boutux = ボウツキス=boutsukisu. i think this one is completely nuts. lol. so i for searched it as it is pronounced boo-tooks= ボートークス=bootookusu. lol i think i'll keep this one, it's less crazy sounding. :D

so if you're interested in knowing what ur name would be in katakana you can download the app if you have an ipod/iphone it's called 'Japan name'; if you don't have an ipod/iphone and want to know you can reply to the thread with the name you want to translate and i will post it for you. if you have an alternate app or online resource that does the same thing please share.
Choosing your name in Japanese can be fun. You can pick one that is phonetically similar or choose a name because of the meaning.

Here's a website that does the same thing for those who don't have an ipod/iphone: http://japanesetranslator.co.uk/dictionaries/your-name-in-japanese/
i like to know my name
hehe
mine is difficult to find.. :S .. its an unusual name
My name is not western so the translator failed in translating it. :D
My name is not in western too so it failed (ToT)
Monique382 wrote: サンドラ

=d

nice name.
lol i just realised what ur actually name is. i'm so slow. lol. i was saying it over and over trying to figure it out and then it hit me. i'm not sure u if u want me to say it so i won't but ur name is quite common...am i right?
If it is not in the translator, you can try to translate it phonetically. Where are my people from the "learning Japanese language" thread??? This is good practice, hehehe.
atbc1 wrote: If it is not in the translator, you can try to translate it phonetically. Where are my people from the "learning Japanese language" thread??? This is good practice, hehehe.

lol. that's how i got what ladyfaile's western name was. sounding it out. took me a few mins longer than it should have but i got there.:D

i have a friend named berthia and she wanted to know what her name would be in japanese. the site u provided didn't have it; the ipod app gave ベルトヒア=berutohia. and she hated it. lol so i did it phonetically for her and came up with bateia/ baateia and she preferred my version.
:( i wonder what lady's name is ... "curious lolz
haneul_92 wrote: i have a friend named berthia and she wanted to know what her name would be in japanese. the site u provided didn't have it; the ipod app gave ベルトヒア=berutohia. and she hated it. lol so i did it phonetically for her and came up with bateia/ baateia and she preferred my version.

Yay, I'm glad it worked out. I think there may only be a difference if you have a really popular western name like Amy or Karen. There are already established Japanese ways of spelling those names. But if your name isn't very common or if you just feel like going with something different, be creative :)
haha it's Sandra, in Japanese it would be Sandora (Sa N Do Ra)
luvvissh wrote: mine is difficult to find.. :S .. its an unusual name

just use Biya

Biya = ビヤ