When I'm not busy watching dramas, I love to read, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. In this thread, let's discuss and recommend books we've read by Japanese authors, or simply interesting books/articles written about, or set in, Japan! All genres are welcome!

I'll start by introducing two books that I've read recently. The first one is Tokyo Vice by Jake Adelstein, and it's an autobiography of the author's life as the first American to ever become a full-time journalist for a Japanese newspaper. 

I found this book genuinely interesting, because it offers a glimpse into parts of Japanese society that you seldom see as a foreigner. Apart from showing the extremely high tempo and draining journalist lifestyle, the book also discusses Japan's bizarre laws surrounding prostitution and red-light districts, as well as the organisation and function of the Yakuza (mob). A large portion of the book is about the "hostess trap" that foreign young women fall into and then never come back out of: what is promised is that they'll make astronomical amounts of money working as hostesses (basically professionally giving men company but not in a sexual way), but in reality, they become victims of human trafficking and cannot escape, due to the laws surrounding prostitution that do not protect the victims. Something else that I was shocked to learn from this book was that the police apparently notifies the Yakuza some time before "raiding" them in order to keep violence to a minimum. Now, all of this might have changed a bit since the book was originally published I think about 7 years ago, but it is nevertheless an interesting read. Don't be discouraged by the sheer size of the book (it's fairly brick sized, or at least the French version is). Plus, if you're an aspiring journalist, it has some great journalism advice as given to the author in his newbie days.

The second book is Kudoryafuka no Junban (クドリャフカの順番, The Laika Sequence) written by Honebu Yonezawa. 

You might know the first book in the series, Hyouka (popular anime). I really like this series as a whole, and while I thought that this book wasn't as good as the first two, I still enjoyed it. It's set in a Japanese high school and follows the activities of the Classics Club (as in literary classics), whose actual purpose is unknown and they seem to spend most of their time solving mysteries. During the school's annual culture festival, stuff is suddenly disappearing from many clubs with only a note is left behind in their place, signed Juumoji (Ten Letters). The rest of the story is about the Classics Club trying to solve this mystery at the same time as they try to sell their anthology, Hyouka, that they mistakenly printed 200 copies of. I will recommend this book and the rest of the series because it's a light, funny read (it's a light novel, after all), the language isn't too difficult, the characters and their relationships are well-developed and the mystery itself is intriguing. If someone else has read this book, I'd love to hear if you have any idea what's up with the odd chapter numeration. I thought it'd be explained towards the end as the actual sequence and what it means, but nope. Not even in the afterword :( 

I'd love to hear your recommendations on what to read, or not to read, next, and why!

I've had my eye on Tokyo Vice for a while, so I'm happy to hear you liked it! Sounds pretty great, I've been on the look out for nonfiction on Japan in general and this seems to give some good insight into the less-than-pretty sides to it. I really liked the anime Hyouka but didn't know there was a light novel out there, sounds like fun! Did you read the books in the series in Japanese? If so, were they difficult to read - like do they include furigana for most kanji or is the reading level more for highschool and up? 

I recently read Granta 127: Japan edited by Yuka Igarashi (Granta is a literary magazine and this particular issue focused on Japan as a theme); it includes poetry, short stories, and essays so it's varied in style. The majority of the writers are Japanese (and the pieces being translated from Japanese to English) but there are a few other authors like David Mitchell who have been included (people who've lived in Japan or just travelled there). For example there's a story called "Pink" by Tomoyuki Hoshino were Japan has reached record heat in the summer, so there's a girl running around in a circle to cool herself and slowly more and more people are joining in so everyone are just running around in circles. I'm not explaining it well, it's odd but wonderful! Others like Hiromi Kawakami writes about translation and some of the difficulties in the process, Rebecca Solnit talks about the torii gates of the Fushimi Inari shrine and the passing of time, etc. I thought the collection as a whole was wonderful!  

Another book that I recently read is The Guest Cat by Takashi Hiraide - which I also really liked. If you're a pet owner/cat (or possibly dog) lover, you'll probably relate to some of this and get some enjoyment from this. I do feel like it's deceptively simple though, like it's got more to it if you read between the lines and I can't help but feel that I'd gain even more from it had I been able to read it in its original language. Has anyone read it in Japanese? I'd love to hear your thoughts if you have.

Great idea for a thread!
I'm glad that my recommendations were helpful to you! Yes, I've been reading the Hyouka series in Japanese. Because they're light novels and aimed towards high school students, the language is pretty straight forward and I found it easy to follow along. Furigana is included only when a character name appears for the first time, or when a rare word is used. For example, the first few pages of the first book are loaded with buddhist terms and they all have furigana. I'd definitively recommend the series, especially if you liked the anime. Being already familiar with the plot is immensely helpful when coming across a paragraph that you didn't understand most of (which does happen).

Oh, Granta 127: Japan sounds like it'd be right up my alley! I'd especially love to read about the torii gates of Fushimi Inari since I visited the shrine myself only last week. In fact, I think I'll order a copy right away. Are you a subscriber of this magazine, or have you read any other issues? I also read The Guest Cat a while ago, albeit in Swedish. I must admit that I picked it up mostly due to its super cute cover, because the blurb wasn't particularly intriguing, but I was pleasantly surprised! I've never owned a pet but I liked the book anyway, mostly due to its wonderful imagery and descriptive writing. Just reading about the garden and the dragonfly pond made me feel calm. I thought the translation was excellent (not that I've read any other edition) but I see how there could be nuances that were lost in translation. 

Right now I'm reading a book by Ruth Ozeki called A Tale for the Time Being and I am LOVING IT. I'm about halfway through the book at the moment, and I can tell that this will be a new favourite. There are two parallel narratives, one in the past that tells the story to the second one in the present. The first narrator is a sixteen-year old Japanese girl called Nao who writes about her life in a diary. The second narrator, a Canadian woman of Japanese decent, Ruth, finds the diary, and analyses it. The main theme of the book is time. What is time? Is it absolute? Can you escape from time? Again, I'm reading the Swedish translation, but I think it's wonderfully written. 
It's probably too difficult for me to read it at this point, since my knowledge of Kanji is still very limited - I'm slowly working on it so I'll try picking them up later in the year I think. Thanks for the info! 

It was so great! I'm happy you've decided to pick it up! I'd really like to visit the torii gates in the future, sounds like such an interesting place! No, I'm not subscribed - I had been curious about the magazine for a while and only accidentally stumbled on this issue so I ordered it specifically. I'm keen to try out more back issues, there's one specifically on "medicine" that I'm curious about. Each issue seem to have different editors though (and of course different themes) so it's possible the style and "taste" of them differ a lot. I totally agree with your thoughts on The Guest Cat! The parts about human's relationship with nature was lovely. I also really liked the themes of time passing (which was also reflected in the nature around them) and the discussion on art. 

Ah, I loved A Tale for the Time Being so much! I found it very thought provoking. Have you read any of her other novels? I wasn't much impressed with A year of Meats, personally, I was expecting a lot from it since I read it after having read and loved A Tale for the Time Being but still - I thought it was a bit heavy handed in its central messages. There's actually a writing piece from Ruth Ozeki in Granta 127 as well! It's a short essay, she talks about her grandfather if I remember correctly.