There are a few of us who thought this would be a good idea so I decided to just go ahead and make a thread.
This is for sharing resources for learning Japanese. Try to keep posts brief, give the link or name (doesn't have to be a website could be a book or whatever), a brief explanation of how it works, whether or not you have to pay to use it. and you can share a bit from personal experience, if you've used it what did you like or dislike about it, why does it work or not work for you, etc.
Also if it's a site where you can add friends you can post your username so other mdl'ers can find you if you want :)

I think to make sure stuff doesn't get buried, which was the point of making this thread in the first place, we should try to only post if we have a resource to share. Like if you want to share your opinion of something someone else shared, that's fine, but share another item in the same post.
Japanese Verbs (http://ww8.tiki.ne.jp/~tmath/language/jpverbs/index.htm)

Cost: Free
Description: This is a website that provides a nice explanation of Japanese verb tenses and usage. I found this most helpful after I learned the basic conjugation of verbs. It provides a more detailed analysis than many online sources. The home page has many more links that you may find interesting.
ooh that will be helpful :)

here's where i practice reading hiragana

this one will actually teach you kanji as well

http://www.readthekanji.com/

cost: parts of it are free, some more advanced parts you have to have a paid membership for
registration: you have to register but it's quick and easy and will help you keep track
description: i actually haven't touched the kanji yet, once you register you can go to your settings and switch it to hiragana, this is what i've been doing. it shows you a sentence in hiragana, with one character highlighted. you have to type it in romaji. at the end of a round it makes you re-do any you got wrong. being presented in a sentence is helpful, sometimes you can figure out a character if you know the word or phrase, rather than just working from memory. if you are looking to learn kanji from it, it does follow the jlpt. they are in the process of updating the site to conform to the new jlpt standards, and there is a blog as well that goes more indepth into kanji reading

_ _ _ _ _

this is another hiragana practice, you can switch to katakana as well

http://www.aeriagloris.com/LearnJapanese/index.html

cost: free
description: it's like flashcards, shows you a character in hiragana or katakana, and gives you 3 or 5 choices in romaji and you just click the one you think is right. sometimes it's process of elimination, if you don't know what ほ is but you know it's not ta or chi, then you can still get it right. i actually was able to memorize kana i hadn't learned in my other lessons yet by using this method. you can also choose which set of kana you want to practice. basic set, marks (like 'ba'), doubles(like 'kyo') or the full set which has all of them. it does repeat a lot but that's what helps them really sink in. i use this more than the other site because i can go through more kana in less time, but it is strictly just characters, no words... so the other site is slightly more useful since you can learn to read some basic sentences at the same time.
Dilbert in English and Japanese (http://www.atmarkit.co.jp/im/cits/serial/dilbert/219/01.html)
Cost: free
Description: Japanese translations of the popular American comic strip "Dilbert." Nice way to practice reading japanese because the phrases are short. I actually think it's funnier in Japanese, hehe.
Anki (http://ankisrs.net/)

Cost: free
Description: This is a SRS/flashcard program. It's totally free and really helpful for vocab and grammar. You can make many different flashcard formats. Currently, I am using it to help with grammar by using an english sentence as the prompt and entering the japanese translation into the answer space. You can make your own flashcard decks or download ones made by other users. There's quite a bit of Japanese content available.
I have a few sites I love to use:

http://japaneseclass.jp/

Is the one I am on the most... It covers your kanji and vocabulary. It has a great database with lessons and test
Great for people that are building their vocabulary or just looking to brush up.

http://www.livemocha.com/

This is the lessons site I go to. It has a beginning course with word association and visuals that make it easy for anyone to grasp.

Both sites are free too. So it is a huge plus.. WHich I also listen to the japanesepod101.com podcasts that they post up. but this site is best used if you pay for it. It is really top of the line and better then such courses such as Pimsluers.
okay i have quite a few ipod/iphone apps for anyone with an ipod. the ones i am listing are free but some of them have full versions that u need to pay for.

1.tae kim's guide to learning japaese. it's the same as his websitehttp://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar[/URL] but u have it on the go on ur ipod/iphone. this resource is a god send. where would i be without this? check it out if u haven't yet.

2. [U]accelastudy japanese|english
the free version has 133 words in 7 categories to study using audio, flash cards (hiragana/romaji/english) and quizzes. it also has a translator and word search. the pro version offers alot more words and options for study.

3. hiragana & katakana this app is great. it's lessons breaks down each kana explaining the sound and stroke order and vocab using the kana. it also has flash cards quizzes and a study bank.

4. KanaTap i used this app alot. it's memory quiz game to help memorize hiragana and katakana.

5. iparrot dictionary-eng-jap. several categories. it gives the words in kanji and audio for pronounciation. draw back is that hiragana would be helpful for learning to spell or write the word. and no word search.

6.iHandy translator. it's a general translator so u can select ur languages. u can translate both from eng to jap or the jap to eng. the pro version has a translator, txt to speak, and a phrase book for vocab.

7. gengo chat offers written conversations (hiragan/katakana/ romaji and english) and audio/oral conversations to practice with.

8 jlpts self study free the version i have is the beginner level N5. and it's pretty difficult for me. it offers study of kanji, vocab and grammar. i think you have to have an extensive vocab to use this one. and if u're studying for japanese level tests then this should be good for you.

9. learn japanese by the spacing effect. 20 or more daily flashcards. if u know the words it can be removed from the list and u rehearse words you don't know until u commit it to memory. (i'm going to be using this one alot.)

10. Japanese Grammar. this one takes a lil getting used to. they tried to simplify things but didn't properly explain most of it so u will have to figure out smtngs on ur own as u use this app but it's not bad.

there are many many more app. so search around the itunes store and let us know what else is good.
I second Tae Kim's Guide. He has a very casual writing style and teaches informal Japanese.

The following are books that I recommend:

Learning Japanese Hirigana and Katakana Workbook and Practice Sheets
Publisher: Tuttle
Authors: Takagi & Henshall
ISBN: 978-0-8048-3815-3
Writing System: English, romanji, kana
Description: This was my first workbook. I got it after I already used an SRS flashcard website (that is no longer available) to learn kana. It provided the writing practice I needed. The book is organized like you would expect a workbook for children: large, stroke order examples, followed by smaller spaces, and then practice words. I really enjoyed doing it.

Japanese Particle Workbook
Publisher: Shambhala Publications, Inc.
Author: Taeko Kamiya
ISBN:978-0-8348-0404-3
Writing System: English, romanji, kana, kanji
Description: Title describes it :) I like this workbook because: 1) I just like workbooks, hehe; 2) introduces particles and uses one at a time; and 3) provides lot of exercises. Many people have a hard time with particles, but this book teaches by breaking it down into bite-sized bits and giving lots of practice.

Japanese Sentence Patterns for Effective Communication
Publisher: Kodansha International
Author: Taeko Kamiya
ISBN: 978-4-7700-2983-6
Writing system: English, romanji, kana, kanji
Description: The title says it all. As for organization, there's a quick reference in the front using a list of sample sentences. The majority of the book elaborates on those sentences, providing more sentences and introducing subtle nuances. The back has tables of common verb, adjective and adverb conjugations. This is a short text that can be used to learn grammar and as a quick reference for the future. The level is elementary/beginner.

Browse the Kodansha International website to see the other materials they have. I really enjoy their readers and supplemental texts. I don't really like the Japanese for Busy People series, but I can see how it can appeal to others. My suggestion for textbooks is to find one that resonates with your learning style and interests. They all basically teach the same thing at the beginner levels.

Other Kodansha titles I own and like (off the top of my head):

Read Real Japanese Essays
Exploring Japanese Literature
Breaking into Japanese Literature
All About Particles
The Handbook of Japanese Verbs
very helpful, thanks Kawaikochan :) i'm going to see if amazon or chapters lists them so i can add them to my wishlists. especially the one on particles ^^

i don't think i posted this yet.. here's a virtual Japanese keyboard that i use a lot. it shows you the hiragana keyboard and a romaji version below which i find helpful just because sometimes i know the character i want but can't find it, and it's easier to spot on the romaji one.

http://www.linguanaut.com/japanese_keyboard.htm
description: i use it when i want to type something in hiragana on forums etc. click the characters you want then copy and paste the text wherever you want. no downloading. it offers other languages as well.
http://www.tofugu.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/japanese-particles-cheatsheet1.pdf
cost: free for the most part
registration: none, for this anyway, i think you can register to be able to post comments etc but i don't think you have to to use most of the site
description: a particles cheatsheet!
it's a pdf. he has lots of other fun learning tools on his site, plus some silly time wasters, like videos of cats etc lol so the whole feeling of the site is more fun and relaxed, less textbook-like. that being said, he has a textbook that's supposed to be pretty good but you do have to pay for that. it's $20/month or $120 for a lifetime subscription but looks like he updates and adds stuff all the time so it might be worthwhile if you can afford it.
seems like his whole teaching style is more laid back and designed for casual learners, easy to follow etc

http://www.englishjapaneseonlinedictionary.com/Japanese%20textbook/pages/Japanese_textbook_title.htm
description: a free online textbook. you can download it as a pdf but it looks like you have to dl each page individually, i don't see a link to dl the whole thing in one shot. the page numbers are at the top in grey, took me a couple minutes to figure out how to get off the title page lol. i haven't gone through it yet so i can't tell you much more than that :p the site has some other resources as well
huzzah! i don't have to use the crummy virtual keyboard anymore! i don't know why it took me so long to do this.
here are instructions on how to change your keyboard to Japanese, it's pretty neat. you type in romaji and it converts to either hiragana katana or kanji. if you hit spacebar while the word is still underlined it shows you different ways of writing it. then when you want to go back to english just hit shift+alt. no download, it's all built into windows (there are mac instructions as well). it also has instructions to download Japanese and other language fonts if you haven't done that yet. the site has other resources as well.
http://www.coscom.co.jp/learnjapanese801/howtotypejapanese.html
let's not forget about some of the great videos on youtube. such as.....

Two resources for breaking down kanji into elements:

All about Japanese Radicals
Cost: Free
Description: A list of kanji radicals on About.com. Provides formal names and examples. I actually really like the about.com japanese language pages in general. Definitely worth checking out.

Kanji ABC: A Systematic Approach to Japanese Characters
Authors: Andreas Foerster and Naoko Tamura
Publisher: Tuttle
ISBN: 978-0804819572
Description: This breaks down kanji into what they call graphemes, which are kinda like radicals, and then introduce kanji meanings by using these building blocks. This is not a workbook. It is basically a group of well organized lists. The format is perfect for flashcards. You can photocopy them right onto flashcard paper stock. I like this system, but I don't think it's a substitute for learning radicals. It may really work for you though.
Mango Languages (http://www.mangolanguages.com/_
Cost: Varies
Description: This is a language software program that I found through my local library. It is free for me with using my library online portal information. It provides basic "traveller" language lessons. I think the interface is fun and easy. You can learn beginner grammar and culture notes in addition to some vocabulary. Well worth checking out. The written Japanese is in hirigana only and every prompt is spoken and written.
http://www.sf.airnet.ne.jp/~ts/japanese/shape_k.html
cost: none
reg: none
description: just a handy chart that shows hiragana and katakana side by side to help with remembering katakana