http://www.jbox.com/product/APO124
Hiragana Times
cost: i think it's $8.50 for one issue or $8.00 per month for a subscription
reg: not sure but you probably have to create an account on the site to place an order

it's a magazine about Japanese culture and whatnot, written in English and Japanese with Hiragana over the Kanji. I want this, I think it'd be a great way to work on reading comprehension and grammar
okay this is my review of the japanese text books i bought.

1.OXFORD BEGINNER'S JAPANESE DICTIONARY:
i love this dictionary. it's has both a japanese-english section and and english-japanese section which is helpful. it very easy to use. japanese word are written in hiragana or katakana and the kanji for each word is given. it also tells u the part of speech (noun, verb, adj etc) the word is. for most words only the translation is given but for some they give interesting reference points. there are 2 other sections in this dictionary that are useful. I. the Usage Notes. which briefly breaks down grammar from particles to parts of speech. even discusses age, time, counting systems, feeling etc. II. Learning and lifestyle kit. which has a short exam section with answers, hiragana and katakana charts, phrase finder and important japanese dates. in stores this dictionary costs about usd15.99 but i bought it on amazon.com for usd10.56. and it's totally worth it. i'd recommend it to anyone.

2.SUPER REVIEW'S JAPANESE FOR BEGINNERS: this book if a text book that starts off with useful phrases then goes into japanese lessons. each lesson is about 2-3 pages long. each lesson starts out with 2 speech patterns that the lesson will be about (eg desu and the negative form of desu-dewa arimasen). then it gives several examples of this speech pattern, followed by an explanation of grammar used in the lesson. at the end of each lesson there are excercises to help with practice and memorizing what has been learned. there are 36 lessons covering basic japanese grammar. the good this about this book is the lessons are short and sweet and easy to follow. it has a small vocab section. answers to the excerises and japanese culture reference points.

the one major downside to this book is that it is completely done in romaji. and everyone knows romaji is not used in japan most people say it's useless to learn japanese using romaji. however i've turned this negative into a positive by trying to write all my lessons in hiragana/ katakana. this would help me with my writing practice and memorizing of japanese vocab and grammar. it's my version of challenging myself.

would i recommend this book? yes but only to people who are familiar with japanese writing systems. i would not want to recommend anyone starting off learning japanese in romaji alone because they would have to go back and relearn everything in hiragana/katakana. i bought this book for usd9.95 on amazon.
oh one more thing. the super review japanese for beginners comes with an interactive cd with games, tutorial etc.
Michel Thomas Method Japanese
Cost: Varies, I got it from the library
Description: The edition I got is an 8-CD set that doesn't require you to use a text book or look at pictures. This was great because I was able to listen to the CDs while driving or working out. The lessons are about 5 mins or more each, and there are about 9-14 lessons on each CD. They are written to mimic the classroom experience. There is a teacher, two students, and a native speaker. The teacher guides the class. One of the students plays the role of the slow learner and is constantly making mistakes. The native speaker repeats the correct answers in Japanese. This course will not teach you how to read or write Japanese and the vocabulary is limited, but you can always supplement it with different resources.

I finished this set in a week. It was fun. I knew almost everything before I started it, but it was good practice and presented new ways to think about the topics which helped me remember them. They recently redid the series and there's a more advanced course available. I think I'll try it next and let you all know what I think :)
Minna No Nihongo
Cost: ~$30.00-40.00

Description: This is a text book series that comes in a couple different parts. The thing that distinguishes this series from others is the main text book is in 100% Japanese. You can buy a version of the book translated into a couple different languages to use as a cross-reference if you don't understand something. I only bought the main textbook, but I use it in class, so I can ask the teacher if something is unclear. Which leads me to my next review...

Japanese Online Institute
Cost: Varies. The three lesson trial is 900 yen (or $9). Regular lessons can be as low as 500 yen (or $6.60) depending on how many you purchase at a time. Lessons are 50 mins long.

Description: This is an online language school. They use a virtual classroom that has a place for the lesson presentation, free chat, and teacher notes. You can use a mic or a mic and camera. They offer private lessons and group lessons. The group lessons can be scheduled anytime and with any degree of frequency. You don't have to do it every week or stay with the same teacher. All you have to do is schedule or cancel your class registration 17 hours before it starts. Sometimes I am the only one in my group lessons. Sometimes, there are other people. The most I have had in class was 6 people. You can also take lessons at different levels. Before you sign up for a class, you can see the grammar points covered in the lesson. I like the teachers and have only had good experiences so far :)
While on youtube I found this for total beginners!

found this on embassy of japan site.

https://www.erin.ne.jp/en/

it is a free japanese language educational tool that uses scripted video, manga and other tools to teach japanese language from beginners to advance. you can register or use the site without registering. my guess is u can better keep track of lessons, ur rank, tests etc. if u register. there are 25 lessons, lots of vocabulary. u can chose ur language, as well as type of japanese writing style u to want use to read subtitles or use all of them when doing the lessons. at the end of the lesson there are different types of interactive test (true or false, multiple choice, drag and drop etc). i have only been looking at lesson 1 just so i can provide info for this thread but i can tell there is a lot to do and learn on this site. and it looks fun learning experience. i will definitely be registering and using this.

one of the things i like is that the videos i did look at either looked like dramas or they looked like variety shows which kinda put me at ease cuz i was not sure what to expect.

the one gripe i have is the site set up looks simple but i was still not sure how to go about using it. i was wondering what do i do 1st, what do i do next. but i guess each person would have to explore the site on their own and decide what course to take in each lesson.
がんばってみんな
I already posted this on another thread but I realized it was the wrong thread to post this on. So I'm posting it again here.

I just started the Pimsleur Approach Audio teaching the other day. I'm having fun with it. I got it free via torrents. It's normally pretty expensive. Only took me 2 hours to download. Anyone else ever tried it?

Pimsleur Speak and Understand Japanese I, II, III

One reason I like it is because you talk back and forth with it.
SayItAintSoJoe wrote: I already posted this on another thread but I realized it was the wrong thread to post this on. So I'm posting it again here.

I just started the Pimsleur Approach Audio teaching the other day. I'm having fun with it. I got it free via torrents. It's normally pretty expensive. Only took me 2 hours to download. Anyone else ever tried it?

Pimsleur Speak and Understand Japanese I, II, III

One reason I like it is because you talk back and forth with it.

I just started with the basic conversational lessons. It's great I listen to it in my car to and from work. I like that you talk back and forth and I also like how they break down the sounds. I was telling a friend that I had started practicing and what I could now say, and they were joking that the lesson was how to pick up japanese guys lol b/c so far I can say hi what to have drinks with me at my place tonight? no, you're busy how about tomorrow lol

Would love to do the rosetta stone but it is WAY too pricey. I have the mango too, but I wish it had more visuals.

If you all have any other suggestions for similar programs, especially something similar I can use online, that would be awesome. I am really only interested in learning to speak Japanese, don't really want to learn to read or write.

thanks for any help :)
livemocha.com is very similar to rosetta but with more user interaction
bakakokoro wrote: I just started with the basic conversational lessons. It's great I listen to it in my car to and from work. I like that you talk back and forth and I also like how they break down the sounds. I was telling a friend that I had started practicing and what I could now say, and they were joking that the lesson was how to pick up japanese guys lol b/c so far I can say hi what to have drinks with me at my place tonight? no, you're busy how about tomorrow lol

Would love to do the rosetta stone but it is WAY too pricey. I have the mango too, but I wish it had more visuals.

If you all have any other suggestions for similar programs, especially something similar I can use online, that would be awesome. I am really only interested in learning to speak Japanese, don't really want to learn to read or write.

thanks for any help :)

lol i thought the same thing, "Are they teaching us how to pick up chicks on this?" lol. At least in the conversation she said no repeatedly lol - lesson 9.
SayItAintSoJoe wrote: lol i thought the same thing, "Are they teaching us how to pick up chicks on this?" lol. At least in the conversation she said no repeatedly lol - lesson 9.

Well if she keeps turning you down ... ashita no ban ku-ji ni watashi to nani ka nomimasen ka? Watashi wa biru o nomitai desu. Anata wa? Biru ka osake? Doko de nomimasu ka?
*wink wink* Watashi no tokoro de? Soretomo anata no tokoro de? Soretomo hoteru de?
The Only resource i use to learn Japan :

http://wakan.manga.cz/
Jillia wrote: The Only resource i use to learn Japan :

http://wakan.manga.cz/

Ahhh thank you ;) That will be an great help for me to continue learning it ^^
ooooooooooooooh *bookmarks*