Pilansb:

Do you have a recipe for banchan?

Regular grocery stores wont have the authentic ingredients. In a couplr of weeks im going to make my first batch of kimchi.   I love the stuff.

I love the pickles!  I just bought my first bottle of kimchi this weekend. When you make your kimchi, various resourses recommended using the FINE grind of gochugaru for kimchi. (I am a newbie, so this is not based on my own experience. Just FYI :) ) I learned that it comes in coarse grind (for most cooking) and fine grind (for kimchi). I saw different types at each market, but not both at the same shop. I had a hard time finding it, which seems weird for such an important ingredient. 

If you search for 'Korean banchan recipes' on youtube or google, lots of recipes should come up. I made both Sesame Spinach Salad (amazing!!) and pickled daikon (dan muji). Banchan are all the little sides you get with a meal; so there are many different recipes. I also checked out a Korean cookbook from the local library.  Lots of banchan recipes in it. Title:  EVERYDAY KOREAN by Kim Sunée and Seung Hee Lee.  Has lots of cool pictures.  I hope to find more Korean cookbooks soon.

Good luck with your kimchi plans! Would be fun to hear how it goes whenever you do. Cheers!

@AlilaNguyen  I haven't even had Korean BBQ yet.  Am searching for a local restaurant. YUM! I can't wait to try many of the dishes you suggest here.

I've tried the kimchi and it's amazing. I really want to try Jajangmyeon and tteobokki. :)

I love Korean food! From Kimchi, to Kimbap to Bimbimbap and noodles... 

Need help making edible Sticky Rice... I have made a nice warm pot of sticky glop. 

Any tips on making GOOD sticky rice? I watched youtube videos, but am clearly doing something wrong. 

I washed and drained 1 cup rice. Let it sit for 60 minutes  in water. Drained. Added 1 cup water. Set on medium high heat until boiled, lowered to low heat for 15 minutes. Results = white glue-like mass.  ;-p  

This is basic. I am a good cook, so my pride is hurt - LOL.  Any suggestions are welcome. 

@melomane

This is how I make My sticky rice: after you wash the rice, soak the rice in the water (rice to water ratio is 1:1) overnight. Next day, steam it on a steamer until the rice is cooked :) done :)

For nice fragrance, you can put the rice on top of a banana leaf in the steamer (this help the rice not sticking to the steamer :) ). For different variety, you can steam it with peanut , green bean, etc. if you need the recipes, just search for making xôi on YouTube (Vietnamese sticky rice) 

Alila Nguyen:

@melomane

This is how I make My sticky rice: after you wash the rice, soak the rice in the water (rice to water ratio is 1:1) overnight. Next day, steam it on a steamer until the rice is cooked :) done :)

For nice fragrance, you can put the rice on top of a banana leaf in the steamer (this help the rice not sticking to the steamer :) ). For different variety, you can steam it with peanut , green bean, etc. if you need the recipes, just search for making xôi on YouTube (Vietnamese sticky rice) 

Thanks! I discovered the glue-like rice I made is pretty great cold the next day. LOL! 

I will try your approach next time and make it properly.  There's a banana leaf wrapped cha lua in my fridge (my first - haven't tried it yet). I may try to reuse the leaf. Thanks for the tips!

6.10.2018 edit:  OMG that is the most beautiful rice! It glistens. I can see the each individual seed. The banana leaf gives it an interesting flavor. Thanks - Your instructions worked great!

I like Korean Beef Stew (Galbi Jim), Chap Chae/Jap Jae (Korean Glass Noodles) and most of their 'banchan' (appetizers) like kimchi, bean sprouts, sweet potato and the cold spinach. I also like their soups but they are usually too spicy for me. I wonder how Koreans can eat them lol. Unlike Japanese ramen, the Korean soups/broths/ramen are all red and spicy, it's like they only come in one flavor.

There is one non-spicy soup I really like- Seollongtang. I tried it in a korean restaurant and it was really good the first few times I've tried it- but after that, something changed in their recipe and it wasn't that good anymore. Since that time, I've tried it in other restaurants but they always make it really bland. I imagine it will taste a lot better in Korea.

MMMMmmm  kimchi  ...

Ive tried and made a lot of Korean foods but the one thing I’ve always wanted to try/make but still haven’t is that cold Somen noodle in a cold slushy beef broth(Normally made with ox tail) and there would be a Guchujang sauce that you’d have to mix into it.

I forgot the name but always wanted to try it but I can’t find the broth and ngl I’m kinda lazy to make the broth.

I looove korean food, im craving the hot dong now with the melted cheese xD