I'm just wondering, who is trying to learn Korean? I know that there is already a thread for Korean language resources, but I figured that we needed a thread for anyone learning Korean to be able to talk to others learning the same language, and get some help if needed. I've been trying to learn Korean for a few months now, but it's sort of hard to when no one else around me is trying to learn the same language.
I'm just starting. I'm curious...how is everyone going about learning it?
Me :) i bought Rosetta Stone. Hopefully it works lol
ticklemyfancy17 wrote: I'm just starting. I'm curious...how is everyone going about learning it?

I use youtube. There are quite a few videos, also I found free podcasts on itunes. talktomeinkorean is a really good podcast. What have you learned so far?
But!!! does anyone know anything about particles. Like, what is the difference between subject and topic particles?
i know some members who are learning korean.. one is miks and the other is Mareina, i think both of them are having proper schooling... and I'm going to a crash course soon... but i start learning in talktomeinkorean..that site is really good and easy to understand:-)
darkangel662008 wrote: i know some members who are learning korean..
one is miks and the other is Mareina, i think both of them are having proper schooling...
and I'm going to a crash course soon...
but i start learning in talktomeinkorean..that site is really good and easy to understand:-)

I love talktomeinkorean. I treid using a whole bunch of other sites, and all the youtube videos, but I didn't actually start learning learning until I started listening to talktomeinkorean. I do their podcasts. I know they have another website, but it costs to use every month.
Doremeduck wrote: I love talktomeinkorean. I treid using a whole bunch of other sites, and all the youtube videos, but I didn't actually start learning learning until I started listening to talktomeinkorean. I do their podcasts. I know they have another website, but it costs to use every month.

talktomeinkorean is a free site as i know...hmm..i think we have a member who is a native korean...i think we have talked long ago..or in a thread..an she said that she is much willing to help teach or give some pointers...just forgot who she is...maybe I'm going to scan a little my own db...kekeke!!!
darkangel662008 wrote: talktomeinkorean is a free site as i know...hmm..i think we have a member who is a native korean...i think we have talked long ago..or in a thread..an she said that she is much willing to help teach or give some pointers...just forgot who she is...maybe I'm going to scan a little my own db...kekeke!!!

Really?! That's awesome. I wonder if MDL has quite a few Native speakers?
I am very interested too ^^
I tried by LiveMocha long time ago, but it wasn't good, there were many errors that even a rookie (at that time) like noticed, so I dropped it... The I downloaded several ebooks and started reading, they were helpful, I'll try talktomeinkorean...
Though I must admit the fastest way I learn a language is by listening to it constantly which I do on daily basis,lol...
As I am really studying Japanese, it leaves me a little space to seriously so Korean, though I must admit Korean has become so dominant in the movies I watch, I sometimes blabber Korean words while being asked something during my Japanese class... ^^ Now I understand more Korean in dramas than Japanese (if my sensei knew this, she's hang me :p)
Thanks to dramas, I understand now 80% of what they say in the drama and can watch them RAW... yay~ though, of course, I'm fluent in Japanese and have a much bigger vocabulary...
As far as I can judge the most difficult part in Korean language is the grammar, as they have ㅓ(eo) and ㅗ(o), and mostly in the words they are read the same way, it can be confusing, also their letter-block building in the words, though through typing it creates the block automatically, I'm confused when I write...
I be more serious in a month, I have to graduate from my university... :p
I've heard that one of the quickest ways to learn a language is to be absorbed in it, and hear it daily. That's not a problem thanks to dramas! :) It's also easier when you have people around you who you can practice and study with. So far, talktomeinkorean has helped me the best, but it can be a little confusing at times.
i'm making use of a bunch of different websites and ebooks that i've downloaded. of course watching drama's helps. i taught my daughter how to read english (and she knows the hangul my baby is so smart), so through that process and some research i found that the best way to learn how to READ a language is something called sight words. your brain reads not by sounding words out, but by recognizing what familliar words look like. i'm applying that to korean.
cityhunter83 wrote: i'm making use of a bunch of different websites and ebooks that i've downloaded. of course watching drama's helps. i taught my daughter how to read english (and she knows the hangul my baby is so smart), so through that process and some research i found that the best way to learn how to READ a language is something called sight words.

your brain reads not by sounding words out, but by recognizing what familliar words look like. i'm applying that to korean.

Sight words? Can you explain that a little more? That sounds interesting.
i am also learning korean. I use koreanclass101.com (which is pretty helpful) i use talktomeinkorean but i mostly get it from watching drama's and youtube channels XD do you have to pay to use livemocha?