Ow by the way I just finished Shinsengumi...I got teary eyed in the last epsiode his in...^^
Sygwen wrote: Ow by the way I just finished Shinsengumi...I got teary eyed in the last epsiode his in...^^

I have to get down to it soon. As for me, i just finished Nankyoku Tairiku - he was there along Kimutaku, it as an absolutely heartwamring story!

I just love how he has this overall unassuming, quiet demeanor. He evokes an aura of kindness with a bit of sadness to it..yet he can have this very acidic..acrid expression when the role demands it. His voice is lovely too.

I imagien in Jokler he makes the perfect "disturbed person" type. I really look forward to ooku,...what I regret is that he always misses an award for acting by a hair's breadth..for legal high, for instancer...the jury and tv reporters voted him best...but the readers chose the lead from kagi no kakaktta heya...I felt a bit saddened by this. I really hope he can be appreciated more one of these days...his role in legal high was perfect.
I finished Nankyoku Tairiku a few weeks ago and it's the only drama that I gave a score of ten. I'm very critical when it come's on scoring. But this drama blew me away. I love that drama and love Himuro. That character really showcase his talent. Yeah, I also like Ohno but I think he really did a good job in legal high and deserve the award...
Sygwen wrote: I finished Nankyoku Tairiku a few weeks ago and it's the only drama that I gave a score of ten. I'm very critical when it come's on scoring. But this drama blew me away.
I love that drama and love Himuro. That character really showcase his talent.
Yeah, I also like Ohno but I think he really did a good job in legal high and deserve the award...

I agree, the role was well suited for him. there were some very striking moments when SPOILER>>> in episode 6 they were rescued and he really recognised that, and then he just became an ardent lover of the dogs and then it was really heartbreaking to see hiw he didn;t want to leave them behind, how he fought for them! <<
I checked the japanese wikipedia with google translator- it's a bit more detailed than the english one. Apparently, he never finished his studies because, from what I gathered, he got far into acting.
The japanese wikipedia also says that he is called " "the man with a smile to express all the emotions", based on the things that he made in the "man of rumor" - not sure which drama/film is it- as I say I am using goole translate to have a look. There are some more interesting facts there too.
saw this at tokyohive.com Ooku ~Tanjou~ (Arikoto – Iemitsu Hen) – Start: October 12th – – Air Time: 22:00 – – Directors: Kaneko Fuminori, Watase Akihiko, and Fujie Yoshimasa – – Script: Kamiyama Yumiko – – Original: ‘Ooku’ by Yoshinaga Fumi – – Cast: Sakai Masato, Tabe Mikako, Tanaka Koki, Hirayama Hiroyuki, Naito Takashi, and Aso Yumi – – Theme Song: “DEEPNESS” by MISIA – # The Ooku series continues and this time focuses on the pure love between the former monk Arikoto and Shogun Iemitsu, and the secret how the roles of men and women switched. ‘Ooku’ is set during the Edo period of Japan, in an alternate history where a mysterious disease that affects only males has resulted in a sharply decreasing population of men and women overwhelmingly outnumber the male population. Shogun Tokugawa Iemitsu already passed away as well, but a head of Ooku (inner chambers of a shogun’s castle), Kasuga no Tsubone (Aso) keeps the bloodline alive by raising Iemitsu’s daughter (Tabe) as the next Shogun Iemitsu. At the age of 13, she was attacked by her own bodyguard who tried to rape her. This incident ended with her killing him with his own sword and her shutting away her heart. Now Iemitsu is 16 years old. Kasuga no Tsubone threatens the the monk Arikoto (Sakai) and makes him return to secular life. Together with his disciple (Tanaka), they are forced to serve as the pages for Iemitsu. After seeing Iemitsu for the first time, Arikoto can’t believe that Shogun Iemitsu is actually a young girl. Arikoto himself is an open-minded and always composed man, but the continued cruel treatment by Kasuga no Tsubone begins to hurt his feelings. However, he knows the huge burden Iemitsu is carrying on her shoulders and wants to devote himself to serving her as best as he can. The drama covers the volumes 2 through 4 of the original manga, while the upcoming movie ‘Ooku ~Eien~ (Emonnosuke – Tsunayoshi Hen)’ will cover the volumes 4 through 6. ----can't wait
Sygwen wrote: saw this at tokyohive.com

Ooku ~Tanjou~ (Arikoto – Iemitsu Hen)
– Start: October 12th –
– Air Time: 22:00 –
– Directors: Kaneko Fuminori, Watase Akihiko, and Fujie Yoshimasa –
– Script: Kamiyama Yumiko –
– Original: ‘Ooku’ by Yoshinaga Fumi –
– Cast: Sakai Masato, Tabe Mikako, Tanaka Koki, Hirayama Hiroyuki, Naito Takashi, and Aso Yumi –
– Theme Song: “DEEPNESS” by MISIA –

# The Ooku series continues and this time focuses on the pure love between the former monk Arikoto and Shogun Iemitsu, and the secret how the roles of men and women switched.

‘Ooku’ is set during the Edo period of Japan, in an alternate history where a mysterious disease that affects only males has resulted in a sharply decreasing population of men and women overwhelmingly outnumber the male population. Shogun Tokugawa Iemitsu already passed away as well, but a head of Ooku (inner chambers of a shogun’s castle), Kasuga no Tsubone (Aso) keeps the bloodline alive by raising Iemitsu’s daughter (Tabe) as the next Shogun Iemitsu. At the age of 13, she was attacked by her own bodyguard who tried to rape her. This incident ended with her killing him with his own sword and her shutting away her heart.

Now Iemitsu is 16 years old. Kasuga no Tsubone threatens the the monk Arikoto (Sakai) and makes him return to secular life. Together with his disciple (Tanaka), they are forced to serve as the pages for Iemitsu. After seeing Iemitsu for the first time, Arikoto can’t believe that Shogun Iemitsu is actually a young girl. Arikoto himself is an open-minded and always composed man, but the continued cruel treatment by Kasuga no Tsubone begins to hurt his feelings. However, he knows the huge burden Iemitsu is carrying on her shoulders and wants to devote himself to serving her as best as he can.

The drama covers the volumes 2 through 4 of the original manga, while the upcoming movie ‘Ooku ~Eien~ (Emonnosuke – Tsunayoshi Hen)’ will cover the volumes 4 through 6.

----can't wait

I saw the 2010 film, I really hope the drama will explain more about the illness and how the roles got reversed, because the film didn;t make much sense and left an impression of being contrived.

Thank you for posting it, Sygwen.
Yep I just posted the up coming dramas this fall... really hoping for this drama to be good...
I don't think this drama will bring Sakai-san any award, I don't know this scriptwriter at all, either. but lets hope it will be at least sfficiently well done.
Me too...Sakai-san don't shine much in that kind of role I prefer those smart, mysterious kind of character...
Or the reponsible older brother type haha. Or a crazed misogynistic lawyer. But the thing is as an actor he does need a variety of roles, and he usually does meet the challenge, meaning he is an overall very good actor.

I found something here: http://masatosakai.tumblr.com/post/14162069854/django-biglobe-masato-sakai-interview
Bladey wrote: Or the reponsible older brother type haha. Or a crazed misogynistic lawyer. But the thing is as an actor he does need a variety of roles, and he usually does meet the challenge, meaning he is an overall very good actor.

I agree

Just Finish doing this....
12 more day for Ooku...
Wow, Sygwen! That looks like it must have taken you some time! Very nice! Amazing!
Did I already mention he is a brilliant actor. Particularly in Legal High.
bannie wrote: Did I already mention he is a brilliant actor. Particularly in Legal High.

yeah he sure is....Very talented actor..