Hey guys!

I left Japan in May and I've been reacquainting myself with home, family and friends. My 2 years Japanese experience was amazing, I have no regrets and I definitely want to go back at some point. I left Japan earlier than i intended but I loved teaching and my sannensei students (3rd grade jr. high = 9th grade) will always have a place in my heart. I love those kids to pieces and I bawled like a baby when I had to say goodbye to my students and teachers. Japan is an awesome and beautiful country and Saga will always feel like home...I miss my tiny apartment so much! lol My Japanese still sucks, it's sad ...blame it on the difficulty and my laziness.

Anyways, I came here to talk dramas. In the months before I left Japan I began to feel overloaded for lack of a better word. The winter season wasn't interesting to me with the exception of shiritsuen chocolatier (the only drama i've watched this year). I stopped watching dramas and visiting Arashi forums (who saw that coming?!) I even stopped coming here and I must add I love what you've done with the place Skye, MDL looks better than ever. lol. I missed western tv shows and since I've been back I've been indulging in every western entertainment...I missed live sports A LOT!!! lol. I did watch western shows on my laptop back in Japan but it feels good to watch tv in my living-room and understand everything. 

Now I miss this community. Its been almost 6 months and I'm beginning to feel jdrama withdrawal...my addiction is calling me back. lol I've missed the spring and summer seasons, i have no idea what dramas came out or which of my favorite/popular actors were in dramas this year. So i guess after all my rambling my question is what good/popular jdramas have aired in 2014? What's going on in MDL and Jdrama-land?
Hello! 

It's been a while, indeed. I liked reading you when you were sharing your experiences in Japan, and was wondering why there wasn't any post anymore (though i'm not particularly a big user of the forum). Thanks for having sharing those moments, and hope to read once again about your time there, foreigners living in Japan have such a different experience than mere tourist like me (guess it's the same in every country).
To answer your question, some dramas I liked this year (but I don't know if they could fit your tastes) : Ashita, Mama ga inai (with Ashida Mana, touching from my point of view, but it was controversial for i-don't-really-understand-why reasons), Border (with Oguri Shun, one of the best of the year), Long Goodbye, (in a very different way, interesting and short) Bitter Blood (with Satoh Takeru). I don't really dare suggest some Arashi dramas since you seem to have no interest anymore : Shinigami-kun (it was okay but a little bit disappointing from my very own point of view) and Yowakutemo Katemasu ( that I really, really, really enjoyed, but I guess there wasn't so many people interested in it. I adore (literally) the GUTS song and i loved Ninomiya's sometimes-despicable-sometimes-touching character).
 Most of all i would suggest Wakamonotachi, the best drama of the year for me, touching, heartwarming, and with great actors.
and Hero, season2 just because of Kimura Takuya and all the great cast, funny as usual.
I won't make any recommendation for the fall season cause nothing appeal to me, but i'm pretty sure other MDLers will give you good advices.
Welcome back and have a great time in J-dramaland once again.
Hi Boutux, nice to see you again :) I hope you'll find something you like in J-dramaland now that you're back. I am not sure if we have the same taste, and I haven't watched very many 2014 dramas, but I'll tell you about the ones I liked the best.

Roosevelt Game When I see a drama maked as "business" and "sport", my first thought is that I'm probably not interested. I watched it, however, because Eguchi Yosuke is in it and because a couple of my MDL friends were very excited about this drama. Now I'm so glad I did, because it was awesome! I'm honestly surprised that I liked it so much. I can't describe it very well, but please read the reviews and decide for yourself. :) 

Long Goodbye A really good detective drama, I was always interested and fascinated by it. (*lol* Reviewed by the same people; I don't feel like I have to say anything more.)

Gunshi Kanbei A historical drama; I'm not used to those and I know very little about Japanese history, but that's why the story is full of surprises for me. What I like about it is how the characters are so likeable and the themes of family and friendship and love. There's war and betrayal and enemies and tears, but even more than that, it's about men and women who love each other and their children and their dreams about a peaceful future. (I was expecting a lot more fighting scenes and long speeches about honour and duty and destiny, etc... there is that, too, but the drama is most of all about relationships.) Again, I picked it up because of Eguchi Yosuke (who is awesome in it), but it turned out to be even better than I thought. It's still ongoing because it has 50 episodes - but I don't feel like that's too much at all! 

Wakamonotachi This is a very good story about five siblings who are living together and their struggles to... well, love and live a good life. It is a lot more serious than I expected, some of the themes are rather heavy. But it is a heartwarming drama anyway with likeable characters.

(I would also say Boku no ita jikan, but you said you're not interesting in anything from the winter season...)

I'm currently watching Sayonara Watashi, only the first episode so far. It's about two school friends who reunite and the married one finds out her friend has an affair with her husband. While the theme isn't automatically interesting for me (especially not after Shitsuren Chocolatier and Hirugao which started out so promising...), Fujiki Naohito is... I realized though that the thing with this drama is that it's about body switching... that might make it more interesting? I don't know yet.... 

Other 2014 dramas that I am interested in are N no tame ni and Seijo.  
@sumithecat: I don't really dare suggest some Arashi dramas since you seem to have no interest anymore : Shinigami-kun (it was okay but a little bit disappointing from my very own point of view) and Yowakutemo Katemasu ( that I really, really, really enjoyed, but I guess there wasn't so many people interested in it. I adore (literally) the GUTS song and i loved Ninomiya's sometimes-despicable-sometimes-touching character).

i still love arashi. lol. in my last few months in japan the only tv shows i watched on tv was vs arashi. lol. my tv basically only went on on a thrusday evening for about 2 hrs. so i'm glad to get ur reviews on nino's drama. and i love oguri shun so i will check out border.

i generally don't like sad dramas prefering comedies instead. i will give long goodbye a shot since both of you suggested it. thanks so much.