The movie was good but I don't see what's so special about it. I think it's a bit overrated. I just watched Battle Royale today and it was so much better than Hunger games, and the basic idea is the same. -prepared to be killed by the fans-
What's usually so special about movies like these are the books haha.
Jeliame wrote: The movie was good but I don't see what's so special about it. I think it's a bit overrated.
I just watched Battle Royale today and it was so much better than Hunger games, and the basic idea is the same.

-prepared to be killed by the fans-

I always think it's strange to see the two movies compared, HG and Battle Royale, that is. I couldn't make it through Battle Royale, the scene in the beginning when they start detonating devices in the classroom all willy nilly made me physically ill. BR is gritty and gruesome and violent. It is a different beast than Hunger Games. The idea of kids killing kids for the "greater good" as decided by a corrupt regime is similar, but in terms of execution, I feel like it is apples to oranges. Not that one is better than the other, but if you go into HG expecting BR or vice versa, you will be disappointed. The beauty of Hunger Games lies in the subtlety. The true corruption of the government, the full scope of their villainy isn't delivered in such a brutal, visceral blow from the getgo, as in BR. Especially considering the movie is marketed towards teens, the violence is toned down, less in your face. The beauty of Hunger Games is that by book 3, you actually end up questioning whether the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. I don't think there is anything wrong with not liking either films or books though! They aren't right for everyone :)
I've written and talked extensively about the differences between BR and HG. I really agree with you, allysoncg. The goal of each one is a little bit different, I think. BR is at its heart a horror film, meant to scare and terrify. It's also not post-apocalyptic. And the kids fighting each other in BR KNOW each other, have grown up together, which is supposed to make things MORE gruesome. HG is really not about that, but rather the desensitization to atrocities that come from constant bombardment by the media about war and violence, as well as the corrupt enjoyment of "reality" tv that puts people in heinous situations. We're not supposed to look at kids killing kids and think OH MY GOD THIS IS TERRIFYING WHAT IF THIS HAPPENED TO ME like in BR. We're supposed to look at the society and wonder why the hell no one has stopped this.
I admit you have a point there.
I was a bit unclear but I was talking about my personal preference. That I think BR is better than HG.
I'm more into horror- and that type of movies so that might be the reason why HG left me a little cold.

And I'm talking about the movie only now. I haven't read the book.
Jeliame wrote: The movie was good but I don't see what's so special about it. I think it's a bit overrated.
I just watched Battle Royale today and it was so much better than Hunger games, and the basic idea is the same.

-prepared to be killed by the fans-

THANK YOU !!!!!
So far the only person who has seen the movie to agree with me!! I haven't watched Battle Royale, so I'm talking about finding the movie overrated. It is completely overrated. The book was better, and even without having read the book I would have found it an average movie... it didn't have anything super special or spectacular about it. I love Jennifer Lawrence, so the acting was good in my opinion.

Frankly, I stopped at book one. I didn't even read the other two, so when movie 2 comes out, I won't even give my input because I am also not planning on watching that. The Hunger Games (book) had a satisfying ending to me. Well, less "satisfying", it's more like I didn't find the need to continue on. They finished the game, went back to their hometown and held hands as a 'couple'. To me, that was it. It was over. Whether they became a real couple or not I did not care.

-personal opinion, by the way. I'm still somewhat of a Hunger Games fan. To me it's like how I feel with Twilight: It is a love/hate relationship with that movie+book.
the movie is overrated only because the book was good, i think if i never read the book and only watched the movie i wouldnt be as thrilled. However as a fan of the book i found the movie to be really well made :) I would strongly encourage ppl to read the book first before watching the movie :]
I didn't find Hunger Games that spectacular when I watched it though I liked the romance (hehe) but when I read the book after watching it, that's when I fell (head over heels) in love. The book is 1000 times better than the movie and now I like the movie more because of the book. :)
Catching Fire will be released in November! Though i liked Hunger Games more, i'm still ecstatic!
I watched this movie recently. It was decent. but I loved the book more.
i saw it and i like it sooooooooooooooooooo much i am so excited about part 2
Catching Fire comes out on my birthday! I am definitely going to see it with friends and family. :)
I read the books and liked them a lot, especially the first one. I saw the movie, too, about a week after it came out. I liked it well enough, but I thought the book was a lot better. The scene with Rue was really heartbreaking...I usually don't cry at movies, but I was sitting in the theater with tears running down my cheeks. :( I was pretty disappointed with the ending, though. I thought it was way too abrupt. I want to see Catching Fire when it comes out. There was so much action in the book, and I'm looking forward to how they portray that on-screen.
katieloveskdramas wrote: I read the books and liked them a lot, especially the first one. I saw the movie, too, about a week after it came out. I liked it well enough, but I thought the book was a lot better.

This is exactly how I feel about the books and the first movie, except I really didn't care for the third book. But because I just thought the movie was kind of eh, I'm debating whether I actually want to go see the second movie.
i don't know anything about it. i think i have to read the story