Death is cliche. Somethong like Himizu (bet its a fantastic movie) Hardship such as unwanted by family, no family, always gets beaten up, or misunderstood, not the typical or cliche, but of the story is an 8-10 then its okay hehe.

- As mentioned earlier, I don't want to sound racist, but I don't enjoy modern korean show / movies due to the looks. I know its somehow part of the culture, I'm really sorry

- Prefer if has light moments and heart breaking moments

Thanks!

Autumn's concerto. It perfectly fits everything you wanted but its a taiwanese drama. 
yo, you can try these ones but dunno if these ones actually fit what ya need
ill just write them down ,maybe you like them :3

heart breaking drama/ movie list :

- dramas :
1liter of tears
boku no ita jikan (kinda male version of 1liter of tears)
life
shiroi haru
last friends
daisuki!!
Taisetsu na Koto wa Subete Kimi ga Oshiete Kureta
gloria (this ones is korean but give it a try )

- movies :
Kanojo wa Uso Wo Aishisugiteru
Hidamari no Kanojo ( really good and heartbreaking)
be with you( this one is perfect )
1liter of tears
taiyo no uta
Dakishimetai: Shinjitsu no Monogatari ( kitagawa keiko = must watch xD)

have fun :3

WOW. Thanks guys T.T will check all of it, and see which will I prioritize to watch first
Oh my God, please check Golden Rainbow out! Its exactly that kind of drama youre looking for. Couldnt breath because I had to watch the heroine going thorugh so much stuff, losing so many people.

Also Secret (with Ji Sung) is that kind of drama.
Cool Masquerade. I love both of your rec!
Korean drama: 49 days
Korean drama special: Jin Jin
Japanese movie: Dear Friends (don't read the MDL synopsis, it spoils the whole movie)
Japanese drama: Last Friends

Nobody knows, one of the best Japanese movies ever created....
Loved Himizu, I was not bored even if its 2 hours because a lot is happening. It was a different exprience, that's why it stands out for me. I just don't like that she beats up the girl. It was different because the main actor experience a lot of "dark" bad stuff. It was soo intruiging hehe.

My line up as of the moment
1. Time traveller
2. Nobody knows
3. 1 liter of tears

Yet to check the trailer of each, and apparently not all has eng subbed trailer hehe. Please keep suggesting, I watch movie when I'm stressed out and I like movies that are 8-10 as rating

Bump. P.S. A lot of hardships or challenges, but at least have a good ending. Not still sad till the end