I know this manga is really popular, with a great international fanbase, and I know that the movie is making lots of people laugh, cry, or scream, either because they find it awesome, or because they find it disapointing. But since no one wants to flood the movie's MDL page with spoilers for the hundreds of users who have yet to watch the movie and make up their own opinion about it, here is a special Discussion that is created specially for all the users who have seen Shinkegi no Kyojin and who really want to talk about it with others.
SO ! Let's have fun here. ^^
Well ? What did you think of the movie ?
I thought it was interesting how they changed up the story between Eren and Mikasa. Also, am I the only one who didn't like the supposedly-Levi guy? He kind of got on my nerves.
The changes to the story, such as how technologically advanced they are in the movie compared to the anime (I haven't read the manga), and the fact Eren's parents are dead right off the bat (I think?) are umm... Interesting? I guess.

To be honest, I didn't like it.
All the characters feel so empty, and unbelievable. The relationship between Eren, Armin and Mikasa was one of (the few) things I liked about the anime and in the film, that relationship is pretty much non-existent after the time skip. 
The characters in the film are terrible, like we know pretty much nothing about them, (I don't recall the film even mentioning Eren's last name).
So yea...

And we still have another film to go, yippee >_> 

I agree with SeagullChips.... 
(I read the manga tho, and killing Eren's parent would hinder the second arc so I guess they might not make a movie for that ? Well figures, it's too complicated to fit a 1h30 movie)

SnK key notion that got so many addicted is it's description of character, how they evolve and how their bonds actually have an impact in the events. The film felt empty on that side. You barely get to know the main characters -not to mention the others- so it's hard to relate or feel attached to them. So even without comparing with the anime/manga I was dissatisfied.

When it comes to changes as compared to the anime/manga ;

I really didn't like giggling Mikasa... I really liked how she never changed in the manga, was the strong one in the group... And seeing how they twisted the story so that Eren's motivation was her death, adding some romance to the main plot... Didn't quite sit well with me. I would have prefered if they at least kept the Eren's mom dying scene and her death as a motivation... Not to mention how she rejects him later on after changing...

Eren was weak willed too, when I really liked how bratty and stupidly obstinate he was
Let's not mention they replaced the hugely popular Levi by a pale copy that is Shikishima. Levi's cockiness is witty and bemusing. Shikishima just felt like a simple ass to me...

Hanji Zoe was the only character that was satisfying to me and Armin despite undergoing some changes was ok.
The other characters I like are either not appearing much... or disappeared 

But I'm the fair kind, I liked Kuroshitsuji's movie better than SnK's movie because despite changing the setting and characters, they at least kept the most important elements. If they had done the same, I wouldn't have been so disapointed with SnK's movie. It's ok to change things, but changing too much or changing things that are crucial and shouldn't be touched are not. Really if they changed the names of the characters who kept their name and a few more elements they could have easily put a new title and make it a new story...

I was also surprised at the format... 1h30 felt really short for such a big scale movie with so many complicated stuff happening. Scenes seemed mashed together, I felt there was a lack of logic transitions btw them... I think they could have afforded an extra 30 min to make it smoother ?

And finally I was a bit  disappointed by the visual effects. The colossal titan was ok (well it was CGI) and the rest was okeyish but for the final part where titan Eren is fighting really looked like a 2000 B series movie... I don't know I felt the camera work + Eren's puppet was meeh... You know like 1954's Godzilla ? How it was so obvious it was an actor within a silicone suit walking in a reduced size reconstruction of a city ? The titans were better since they were only actors wearing make up. the skin effect and tone looked natural... Titan Eren's suit/puppet was disappointing to me... the skin effect wasn't convincing, it looked like silicone to me from beginning to end...but even the close ups on Eren made me cringe because it was the puppet/suit they used and not CGI (usually for such movies, they have puppet or suits for long/medium shots -full body or half body- and use CGI for close up shots especially on detailed parts) Maybe I'm too picky but I really expected more regarding the effects used. I don't know, when you learn a story that is relying on out of the ordinary elements, you tend to think "aaah I wonder how they'll make ___" and I was really excited about how they'll make the titans and especially Titan Eren.

So yeah... I laughed and WTFed at 'You ok with a single mom ? Wanna be my daughter's dad ?" rolled my eyes at the Mikasa x Shikishima, and felt cheated at the end of the movie xD I watched it on my birthday thinking it would be a nice gift .... well nope xD I spent half of the movie saying "WTF ?" 

But I'm gonna give this movie a few more chances (yeah I really like SnK so TT) and am gonna watch it a few more times before leaving a proper review. Also gonna drag someone who doesn't know the story to watch it with me to have a fresh and unbiased opinon ! 

Not to mention I'm dragging my friends who love SnK to watch it with me just to laugh at their WTF faces xD
I really hope the second movie is better but I'm sure not setting my hopes as high as i did for the first xD
the fan in me is really pissed how much "creatively freedom" the Mangaka Mr Hajime Isayama.had given the director/screen writer to do whatever they please with the story pacing and the relationship dynamic of the characters especially the trio. it just derail just from some 10 mins in, when save an baby mikasa please ! appear[this is my WTF] there no baby in either the manga or the anime, i guess the life size of the characters are adult size in the movie compare that to of the anime/manga so that make sense to have mikasa save an baby to please all the female audiences *roll eyes* , tsk and dont get me started on early introduction of the character  Zoë Hange. having an side but important character to be introduction is definitely an no no in my book especially with such a extreme well carved characters dynamic relationship in the manga,maybe this time its the production staff at fault for making the arrangement of her character close tied as far as the dateline for the web spin off mini 3 part series " Shingeki no Kyojin ~Hangeki no Norosh" to shown this early before the sequel arrived in cinema . and the absent of the most bad-ass SoK character Levi just because of some naming technical fault almost make me think this movie is racist
OH and btw his replacement character is almost kool up till  he kiss mikasa.[not fucking cool bro !]
finally the brainpower and intelligent brilliant of Armin didn't shine at all apart from the "hey I gotto tell director-general what school i go to scene" compare that to the missing save the gas-pit stop building that was in the manga\anime. 

the reviewer in me kinda take an step back at the fan in me and said "its breath of new life to the series now this movie is just alternative timeline plot for just the movie goers who never seen the manga or the anime, the sparking amount of detail  cgi effect that goes into making this as realistic as possible with the world setting till you see parasyte,the trembles DTS sound that the giant made just to mind blowing the viewers's audio processing sense , the rage fuss the hardcore manga fan base since day 1 made on the net and in their social circle , maybe... maybe all of this is JUST TO GET MORE PEOPLE INTERESTED IN THE MANGA/ANIME.
on the other hand even if things does work alright,there still ever so fighting how much "creativity freedom VS the underline subtext guidelines" balance the production office , the mangaka and the director/screenwriter should come to agree upon before hand this movie is just an bad example of this balance

IF you as an movie goer like the movie adaption as far as the story and the world setting goes and is just satisfied of what you saw.PLEASE GO WATCH THE ANIME MOVIE "Shingeki no Kyojin Zenpen - Guren no Yumiya"  instead if you dont have time patient nor the time watch or read the anime/manga. it has extra 20 mins plus every story pace direction is much more similar to that in both anime/mange