Supporting MDL

This discussion has been closed.

First of all, I would like to thank the creators and moderators of MDL. This website is a treasure and a way for us, passionate dramaddicts, to find each other and to build this amazing community. I don't know about you guys, but MDL is my second home page, Google being the first. I don't go on Facebook, my Twitter account is a deserted wasteland...because MDL is the only social network I need. 

I don't know exactly, but I guess that all of those things we enjoy don't exactly come for free. The forum, the feeds, all the new cool stuff, like the trailers, and the articles, and everything : it must cost something (correct me if I'm wrong). If anything, it takes time, and in this world, time is a valuable good

So I do what I can to support this website. I whitelisted it on Adblock, for example. But I wonder : is it enough ? 

So, I'm making this little suggestion : how about, we have a way to support MDL whenever we want ? If, for example, we are really bothered by the ads, but wouldn't mind giving 1$ or 5$ or even 10$ every now and then ? 

I've been looking for a little "Make a donation with Paypal" logo somewhere on this website, but I haven't found it yet. Couldn't we change that ? Or, I don't know, have a  Tipeee thing we could use to help this site grow bigger, stronger and better ? 

I know that money is something of a taboo subject in some culture, so please don't take offense. I'm simply wondering what you'd think of this idea. 

You decide.

36votes
Absolutely! I would love to be able to donate. I've spent so much time on this website, all for free.
I'm feeling at home here too, so i would definitily like to be able to help by donation.
I was thinking about it not so long ago, glad to see other people share the same feelings. 
I would totally donate!! :D
I'd agree, but only if there's a payment wall-donation-option. Reason is that I don't use/have paypal and it always bothers me that websites only offer 1 or 2 payment methods...
Anyway, it would be cool to be able to support the website ^-^
Of course, I used Paypal as an example, because it's the most common method used by website (that I know of, but websites like Tipeee are starting to grow too). 

The point is simply to ask you all how you'd feel about having that option. 
Let me start by saying that MDL is an incredibly useful website. I sincerely use it. It's great to have my own little drama-database. I'm really thankful to everyone that is somehow involved with creating MDL and its functions. However.. 

I don't know if it's only me or not but on a social aspect MDL hasn't done much for me. It has not given me the online interaction I do get on other communities. Whenever I come here it feels like, bluntly saying, empty. There are people here. But it doesn't feel like a solid community. A 'bit shallow. And that's a pity. 

A stronger (and faster) development of MDL is the key to take things to a next level. And if money is needed for that, I'll definitely be using that donate button. If it's the owners intentions to keep it as a database, at this level, I would respect that decision as well. 

I hope this post doesn't come across as too negative. MDL in its current state is good, but it can become great or even more than that. I'd like to hear what route the staff is planning for MDL. AND with that for themselves. Because running something like this takes a huge amount of time. And it really depends on that if I would donate money. Whatever MDL's future is, I'll surely keep using that database and update my lists every week.
@Focussen Glad to see that you agree with this suggestion. I hope that you'll find a heartwarming place for you in MDL. 
We will definitely try to do something similar in the very near future (maybe 1-2 months from now.)
@Skye-N-Rain Great ! Do tell us when it's done ! 
add me too, I'd like to donate to support you instead of watching ads.
All websites are adblocked via my chrome. However, I am happy to contribute too. I think perhaps contributing users can have some special perks. I dont know what but that would be a nice addition.

I think the mods are very busy, but it would be really nice to see more of these suggestions implemented too. 
I'm happy to donate as well.  I haven't whitelisted MDL on my adblocker because the ads make my super old tablet crash all the time (time for a new one) I'd rather have the option to contribute directly without being advertised at.

@Focussen, I also find most people here aren't online when I am unless I stay up really late or wake up really early.  There's a few people who seem to be in the same time zone and they make it really fun for me, but I do find a really good community here, but the effort has to come from you.  :)

I like the idea to donate if wanted, I put my vote and maybe ill even add my other 2.  And instead of getting perks for donating do like other site and earn points  like other sites do towards perks (not just for donating but contributing to the database as in new actors/dramas/episodes/articles. Donating would earn you x amount of points.

example would be "streaming site whose name shall not be mentioned" allows you 1 month free of adds if you earn 200 points..its an absolute pain to do that but its a goal. The only way to earn points is to link to their site and for each"eligble" referral you get 1 point.  If you block their ads you lose points.  Such a headache but it is in place.

Anyhow I wondered off topic as I do, yes to donations to help build this up.