a friend and I have been watching dramas together for a while now.  Quite often between finishing a drama and starting the next one we watch a movie to clear our minds.  

Recently we seem to have been watching some long and depressing dramas and so between them we've searched for movies with a "comedy" genre tag and a high rating.  We've noticed that many of the movies with this tag are not, in fact, comedies.

A comedy should make you laugh the whole way through, on purpose.  That should be its intention.  One good joke at the start, does not equal comedy.
Can someone explain to me, please, how dramas are sorted into genres on MDL? Does the person adding the drama add the tag?  Is the tag chosen from their own opinion or from the movie release or by the number of people who tag a movie a particular way?  Or something else?  I'd like to understand how this keeps happening.

is there a way to fix this so that genre tags are more indicative of what dramas are actually like?

maybe when you finish and rate a drama, then MDL can ask to pick a genre, then only the top two chosen by people who actually watched it are displayed?

other suggestions are welcome.
Hessa Volunteer Staff
If you notice that, you should submit for a change. The genres on MDL are misleading, usually, they are inaccurate at all. Most of the time, we take the genres from other databases or users submit it. Moreover, when I watch a movie, I go and update the genres.
The problem is that people usually over add genres. If there is 1 glance/skinship/kiss in the movie, they label it as a romance even if it is just a minor part.

Read this guide to help you learn how to fix mistakes on MDL:
http://mydramalist.com/discussions/support/17285-g...

Edit: This should be in the support forum, not the suggestion. The thread should either be deleted or closed.
Hi Hessa, thanks so much for that information, it's really helpful.

i thought about putting this post in the support section, but since I included a suggestion for improving the quality of the tags, and I'd really like that suggestion considered, I decided to park the post here :)

(I've edited the original post to make this clear)
Hessa Volunteer Staff
Naksken: "maybe when you finish and rate a drama, then MDL can ask to pick a genre, then only the top two chosen by people who actually watched it are displayed?"
That would be hard to implement, and the system we have now is good, so there is no need to change it. You can just change the genres if they are wrong.
Hi Mods,

i'm I'm wondering if there's a reason that this post can't remain in suggestions?  I'd like to have a conversation about this and gauge opinion on my suggestion via votes option. If it gets no votes that's cool and all, but could which ever moderator moved this post to the support forum, could you please move it back to suggestions?

thanks so much.
Hi Naksken,
I moved it because this isn't a new feature. This is simply trying to understand how a current feature, a genre, is used.
The part with tagging genres by people who actually watched the dramas is a new idea. Please return it.
So you'd have no genres until the show is over, correct?

Feel free to create a new thread in that forum, but please emphasize how this is a new feature in that thread.