+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from Japan

Hello from Japan

I originally joined to keep track of what I have seen and what I want to see, but certain forums caught my eye, so if I'm not going to lurk I thought I should at least introduce myself.

My screen name comes from a nickname my college roommate gave me.
    My Japanese roommate called me "Risu," which is a small mutation of my real name, and means "squirrel" in Japanese. If you write squirrel in kanji (which no one ever does) it is 栗鼠. The first character is "chestnut" and the second is "mouse" (a mouse or rodent that eats nuts is a squirrel), and if the characters are read individually that is "kurinezumi."

I am American, and I have been studying Japanese since I was a high school student. At the time anime and dramas were not as well known or easily accessible as they are now, so I started just because it seemed interesting and my high school happened to teach it. (In "Japanese years," or years since I started studying Japanese, I would now be a high school senior... scary)

My studying increased exponentially after I first went to Japan (in high school) and was exposed to Japanese music and TV. Conversely, I recently started studying Korean and my viewing of Korean dramas has increased exponentially since I started studying. (It is listening practice right? So I consider it essential to my studying...)

I first started watching Korean dramas though because I now live in Japan (going on 9 years) and they are popular on TV here. I started off watching them dubbed in Japanese because that is the default setting on the TV, but figured since I was reading the subtitles anyway (and Japanese dubbing voices really annoy me) I should switch over to the original Korean. That was the first chance I got to really compare Japanese (subtitles) and Korean (audio), and see the similarities and differences, and why I decided to study formally.

Not sure yet how involved I will be here, but if anyone has any questions about Japan, Japanese, or J-dramas (especially older ones not as well represented here) feel free to ask.

wow nice intro...Hi,

Hi! I am glad to be the first one to welcome you to the site XDD

I will hopefully be coming to Japan in August to teach (provided I can find a job). If I can't get to Japan I will be going to Korea. Either way, I am glad to meet an expat!

Hi Kurinezumi! Welcome to MDL!

Speaking of older Jdormas I have downloaded and am gearing up to watch: Love Generation, Long Love Letter, Orange Days and Strawberry on the Shortcake. Which one should I watch first? A lot of people have said Orange Days. What do you think?

Welcome in mdl^^ hope you'll enjoy here!!!

Hi kurinezumi..welcome to MDL...hope to see you around...and hopefully we get to learn a few things from you...i have only recently started watching jdramas..and i quite like them..esp. the ones with Yamapi♥...

Hi & welcome to MDL

Just a small request....I hope you can oblige.....please could you kidnap & post Yamapi to me cheers ....

yeah...you could ship Matsuda Shota over here anytime too. LOL!!

Hi Kurinezumi! Welcome to MDL!

>Jeaniessi

Of those the ones I have seen in full are "Orange Days" and "Love Generation." As Kimura Takuya was one of my first loves in Japan I have seen almost all of his dramas (except the most recent, oddly, and another older one that I can't find anywhere), and of them all "Love Generation" is the only one that I cannot remember the plot to at all... Which doesn't make it bad. But I think it had a kind of typical love story plot that was less unique or stand-outish than his others. And it is kind of like a second-rate "Long Vacation," reuniting him and Matsu Takako.

Orange Days I liked. It has a really strong ensemble cast, and good story. I too would go with that one first.

+ Reply to Thread