Alessa

Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo Review

Alessa
Jan 12, 2017

I’ve never felt so empty (yet so fulfilled) when a drama finished.
This is how good “Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo” is.

In short, for those of you who are impatient, is a very sweet, yet very real drama, about friendship, family, love and coming of age.
But there’s so much grace in how it’s done, that it deserves a more detailed explanation.

The plot is very (very) simple, yet very well written. The story follows Bok Joo; a young girl in the campus of a sports university (?), that happens to practice weightlifting. That’s nearly all you will get to know about weightlifting (it could have been golf and there would’ve been no difference, so worry not about the topic. I’m mentioning this because I know the “weightlifting theme” could been a throwback to some).
Bok Joo has a group a friends; a romantic crush; a family; a passion (weightlifting of course), all the things and problems that any standard teenager experiences. The hole plot revolves around her and (again) the normal things that could happen to a normal teenager. The difference to other dramas, is that everything FEELS real. And that’s rare.
How many times did we found ourselves hating the protagonist or wanting to smash the TV because we couldn’t understand the decisions they made? Of course, deep down we now the writer makes them do that in order to fulfill the number of episodes that they need. But nothing like that happens here. The characters (and their dialogues) are delightfully written; each one consistent with each personality (which are very rich and most important, real life people), and they are incredible lovable. The writer skillfully makes you fall in love with each one of them (including the ones you initially “hate”) because you get understand them all.
Also, the character development is done very progressively (although that doesn’t mean that the show is “slow”); I’ll assure you, you will enjoy every second of Bok Joo & friends, as they discover who they are, and who they want to be in the world.

The acting not only is superb (everybody does their job so well and they’re SO believable); but the chemistry between Lee Sung Kyung and Nam Joo-hyuk is one of the best I’ve ever seen.
I was really surprised by Lee Sung Kyung! At first I was really skeptic but despite her character being adorably written, she also does a fantastic job in making you believe her. Her expressions and her body language is fantastic.

The music is very good also, and it respects the tone of the series, really sweet, but it's something that I rarely pay attention to, so there's not much I have to say about it.

Finally I wish to remark that despite all the good things I said, that alone it's not enough to be one of the best dramas I've ever seen (and the only one that has a 10 on my scores), it is because adding to all that there's the way it makes you feel. This drama is sweet, so sweet that every episode you'll watch it will feel as a warm ray of sunshine (and not cheese at all, that's only my poor metaphor choice). You'll find yourself smiling at the TV at all times. And that doesn't mean there aren't any sad moments, because there are, but it's not kdrama tragedy, it's real life problems/sadness. And the show has a very optimistic way to portrait it; instead of having you crying about how unfair life is, you'll be rooting for the characters as they (not without effort) overcome their problems and grow up in the process.

This drama accomplishes the (almost) impossible: It's sweet, joyful and innocent, (without feeling cheesy) and at the same time it's mature and realistic.

So, I'll definitely recommend this to anyone, despite what your preferences are, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and it will bring you joy.
Kim Bok Joo is SWAG! :)

Comments (3)

• Login or Register to post comments
    ArtoriasAbysswalker May 1, 2017

I can stress how different the circumstances are between the day I sarted watching this, and today, when I finally completed it. The beggining was the cherry on top of a beautiful weekend, and the end helped mitigate the pain of a really bad one. It's been two weeks of an amazing ride, that much I can assure you. I can now say that I agree with what you wrote a 100%. I enjoyed every episode, every twist, every funny bit and every dramatic one too. It is, as you said, an overall warming experience, as much as the weekend I started watching it was, and that's what I'm definetely taking away from this. I still believe that I'm not gonna become a drama fan or anything of the sort, but I can truly say I'm a fan of Kim Bok Joo :). Thank you very much for continuosly encouraging me to try new and amazing things. Alessa is SWAG. Dangshinun-aluum-dabb-sumnida :)

ArtoriasAbysswalker Apr 21, 2017

Having now arrived at the exact middle point of the series, I decided to give your review another reading. I can attest to every word in this review so far. It is incredibly warm and effective, and just as you say, I find myself not being able to stop smiling for as long as each episode lasts, and even several minutes after they end. Granted, the conditions in which I started watching it were very smile-inducing themselves, but still.
    I'm still not fond of romantic dramas, as I very much prefer (and have been lucky enough to find) romance outside the screen, but this is just so much fun to watch, and it does feel like a warm caress to the soul. You're "ray of sunshine" metaphor gets cuter everytime I read it :).
    I'll report back when I'm finished with it, but so far I can't do more than thank you deeply for introducing me to the loving adventures of the weightlifting fairy, Kim Bok Joo :). Yet another big hug!

ArtoriasAbysswalker Jan 12, 2017

Loved your review, and I'm really looking forward to watching it, even more after reading this. As you know, I'm not extremely fond of romantic dramas, but the way you describe this makes me very interested in it, since it does appear to have a little bit of everything. Thank you! Paiting, and a big big hug!

1 day ago