JadeDarcy

Baby & I
25 of 28 people found this review helpful
Feb 27, 2012
Talk about a coming of age love story. This is NOT a story about a boy growing up and facing difficulties because he has fallen in love with a girl. This is a story about a boy who has to face the responsibilities of being a young, single father.

When a young trouble maker -whose parents pretty much run away from home because they cannot stand his bad behavior- finds a baby read more in his basket, he has to face the realities and hardships of becoming a single parent, with no support, while going to school.

This story made me laugh and cry. It's very cute, light, but not TOO fluffy. This was a very enjoyable movie. The baby is absolutely cute. My newly found love for Jan Jeung Suk continues. He is REALLY pretty to look at. I'm not going to tell you that this is the greatest movie out there, but it was extremely enjoyable from beginning to end. I was not bored at any point of the story and was touched by it. Highly recommend.
Twelve Men in a Year
22 of 25 people found this review helpful
Apr 11, 2012
I just finished watching the last episode of this drama via Hulu. I thought it was a drama worth watching. It had a good premise, interesting characters and was well acted and executed. It was by no means perfect and I did have a couple of issues I was not too happy about, but even with those I would highly recommend this drama.

This drama was different from other Korean and Asian read more dramas that -I- have seen. The premise alone seemed daring and atypical to what I'm used to watching. One modern woman living independently with her boyfriend while not being married and then dating 12 men in one year? I believe that brakes a lot of drama cliches just right there. That alone made this drama worth watching.

I feel the drama was executed well. This is a story that deals with the question of what happens when love is not enough and does not last forever. Actually, I feel like it deals with the topic of love in a very modern and pragmatic way. It shows many forms of love in an interesting, funny and often touchy way. There is love of parent and child, friends, first love, etc...

I felt the drama was acted well enough. But, I felt the main character was overshadowed by that of the girl who plays her best friend. The way that character was written, acted and even physically, out shined the lead. There were some parts where I thought that Mi Roo was behaving like a total B...rat!. I was never really able to connect or really fully like her.
There are really no bad guys here. Everyone has their good and bad qualities in different proportions at different parts of the story. I liked that.

Now, as I said, it was not perfect. I had issues with a few things.
1. Was that by episode 4 I felt the drama lost a bit of its steam. I don't know how they were doing ratings wise or how it was received in Korea, but I felt like they decided to stop and look for that line they wanted to step on but not cross. It had this feeling of uncertainty, like for a second they were not sure how they wanted to continue. This was not really detract me from enjoying, but I did feel a change.

2. It did not feel as though the main girl had a lot of character growth. She pretty much felt the same from beginning to end.

3. I hated the main character's sense of fashion and hair cut. IT DISTRACTED ME!. At times I was busy thinking how much I disliked it and had to rewind the episode.

4.The ending felt a bit rushed.But it did tie and tell you what happens to all the important characters. I did not know who she was going to end up with.Well, I think that was not necessarily a bad thing, but it did feel underdeveloped.

Again, if you want a good rom-com, with a good story and don't mind the main girl kissing more than one man, this is a story worth watching. Enjoy!
Material Queen
21 of 25 people found this review helpful
Jan 19, 2012
This is hands down my favorite Taiwanese Drama and maybe one of my favorite Asian Drama overall. From episode 1 I felt like this drama was laced with crack and my favorite cup of coffee. I was hooked and could not stop watching. I was sad when it was over, although it has an ending I really liked.

I'm relatively new to K- and T-Dramas, but I've been watching Telenovelas all my read more life, so at times I feel jaded of the topics and cliches that are shown. This drama did not make think about anything else but what I was watching. I was so into it, I was not thinking things like: When is this arc going to be over? Why are they dragging this so much?. It seems they had a firm hold on what they wanted to express from beginning to end.

This drama varies from many, as the Heroine of the story seems to be more "alpha" in personality than the male. The growth shown by her character and the way this actress portrayed it, was outstanding. I was at first hesitant about the acting by VanNess Wu, he seemed overpowered physically and performance wise by the main actress, but in a way this suited the characters so well, that it made it even more believable.

I liked that you get your "grew up in an orphanage" heroine, who instead of growing up to become the maid of a big hotel and a giving soul; becomes a strong, self centered, materialistic person who works hard for what she wants. Even if these things are brand named clothes and diamonds. Unlike most dramas this heroine is not the one spreading love and rainbows of happiness wherever she goes. She has a lot to learn about love and life, but has had no one to teach her. Nor has she been willing to learn.
In juxtaposition, our Hero is the one who is gentle and idealistic.
I liked the side characters and that the second female was not some mean girl who was going to take the man she wanted regardless of his feelings. The greatest hurdles that our characters went through were self created. Wounds that had to be healed. The main villain in our heroine's life was herself. I LOVED the characters of Peter and later on Moses.

The Parisian backdrop, the clothes and jewelry shown were amazing. It really did help to take me in and suck me into the world presented even more. The music was so beautiful and right when presented. It did not overpower and only aided to express what was going on in the scenes. This drama makes you fall for the sounds of the violin and makes you want to listen to what else is out there with this instrument. I even liked the opening score.

In short I really, thoroughly enjoyed this drama. Was it perfect? I don't know. I was too tunneled visioned while I was watching. I was buying EVERYTHING they were showing in an AS IS manner. To me, that is the best compliment I can give any sort of movie, book or drama. If the point of watching is to let go of your own reality for a few moments, this drama did it for me in a way I was more than willing to just go along. This drama really feels like a brand name, luxury item. I highly recommend it.
Hotaru no Hikari
6 of 6 people found this review helpful
Feb 10, 2012
This drama was so enjoyable, fun and effortless to watch. There aren't any big conflicts or enemies, plot twists or action. But there is such a wonderful journey of growth for both leads. The symbiotic relationship they quickly develop seems so organic and believable. The acting was great. It really felt as though I was watching two real people through a window while they were not aware of being watched. They seemed read more that natural, that real. The humor was great because it was subtle. I really liked the female character. She seemed different than what I'm used to from other dramas. She was a slob and emotionally challenged in the area of love; but otherwise she was a smart,sweet, hard working woman aware of her mind (at least professionally). I'm really tired of all those women portrayed in dramas that seemed to be airheads, with no education or personal taste. That can only offer emotional support but otherwise need to be saved every five minutes.

The only downside I found was the second lead. He seemed very one dimensional. Even his facial expressions did not change much. Other than that, it was a wonderful watch. Highly recommend.
Jenny & Juno
5 of 5 people found this review helpful
Mar 9, 2013
I'm having a hard time with my thoughts regarding this movie. I'm really not sure how to rate it.
On the one hand this movie is a really sweet, young love, romance story. I liked that a lot. It was so cute and both main characters did a very good job portraying their age and love for each other.

Now, on the other hand, the love and story seems incongruent to what read more is actually happening. Jenny is 15?Korean years? and she becomes pregnant. This is where I had the problem with the story. When it ended I really was left wondering what the point of the whole movie was.
The pregnancy situation was EXTREMELY UNREALISTIC,IMO.There were no consequences to becoming a teen parent. No moral, physical, social, etc. consequences. The girl didn't even get morning sickness or lose her flat stomach. Having a baby is a beautiful thing, but it is also difficult and a huge responsibility. The movie showed none of that. Everything was sweet, rainbows, and roses.From what I could see. There was really no conflict, and the little conflict there was, was not presented strongly enough.
Were they promoting teen pregnancy? Sex education?.IDK Even the sound track was very childish. There was even a scene were they show a video on what happens in an abortion that was very one sided. I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with abortion, just that the scene was presented in what in the USA is called, ProLife, kind of way.

Anyway, it was sweet, but the topic was handled in very unrealistically.
War of the Arrows
Jun 11, 2012
In my opinion, this is a movie about what a desperate brother with great abilities with the bow and arrow will do to save his little sister. This is not about loyalties to your country, or the greater good. This is about a last promise made to a father and the blind need to protect the sister you raised as your daughter.

I liked and enjoyed this movie. I like well made read more action movies and this one did a wonderful job with their action scenes. The scenery was incredible and the story was interesting enough. The characters and depth of the story I felt was lacking a bit of weight, but overall I felt it was all well acted and made.

The movie is 2 hrs+, but I did not feel it. That time is mostly made up with the action. I had honestly never watched a movie in which arrows were central to the story. This movie did an amazing job with it.

I recommend it if you like fast paced action movies, have a couple of hours to spared.
Little Mom Scandal 2
Apr 12, 2012
This is the Part 2 of "Little Mom Scandal". So if you have not watched part 1, you will probably no understand anything that is going on here. This is not a stand alone.

I reviewed the first drama and thought it was impressive for the realistic way it dealt with strong and sometimes taboo subjects. This drama continues that trend, but it's not as strong as the first one.

Still, this read more drama really is worth watching. The story continues to show the lives of our characters and the consequences of their actions.

There is this one new girl whom I don't like pretty much from beginning to end. But true to her character, neither the drama or the character made any apologies for her flaws. There were a couple of characters that can be considered villains in this one. The one from the school, I could not understand. It was a plot device I found unnecessary and cliched.Otherwise, I have to admit I was hooked.

I wish there was another season in the future. The ending was left open for that possibility, but somehow doubt it. Again, not as strong as the first one, but still enjoyable and worth watching. Enjoy!
City Hall
Jan 21, 2012
This is one of my favorite dramas of all time. I am pretty terrible at rewatching things but this is one I liked so much that I would not mind.
In short, please watch this. You will not regret it. The storyline is interesting, the characters are amazing, the ost is great, the chemistry is off the charts, it will make you laugh, cry, worry and cheer and fall in love not read more only with the main characters, but everyone around them. Highly recommend.

If you just read the blurb you might just go: Blah! small town and politics, how boring!. But that is not the case. This drama has it all.It's funny, mysterious, heart tugging, etc. The acting is outstanding. SunAh is one of my favorite Korean Actresses. She is uninhibited when she is goofy and amazing when she goes all emo. I cry and laugh according to how she is playing her role. And *sigh* Cha Seung Wok, how do I love thee?. I really don't know what it is about this man, but I really, really like him. This character fit him like a glove.

Anyhow, I, like many people who have watched this drama, wondered which direction it was taking for the first 6 episodes. It's not that they were not enjoyable or confusing, but they were not really congruous and cohesive. Mostly they were funny and still worth watching but after that, the story just takes off in a level beyond anyone watching those first episodes could have imagined. And it is from that episode on, that makes this drama go from ha! good to wow! incredible.

This drama is basically about two people that unknowingly really do become stronger and better from knowing each other. This, I feel is really an adult drama. Not only does it have THE BEST KISSING SCENE EVER! (I challenge you to find me a better one in a K-drama) but in the way this couple interact with each other, the other characters and the situations presented are very real in my opinion. The growth the characters show from beginning to end is one of my favorite things. When their personalities and essence does not necessarily change in a 360 way, but instead they find in each what the other one lacks. The weakness of one becomes the other's strength and they both learn from each other and in this way become better.

Yes, it is based on politics (it is called city hall for a reason.) but I just found that it was just like other dramas based in hospitals or what have you. The politics are there, but they are there to compliment the story and present the challenges, but it is how they move within this environment that is really interesting. It worked for me.
Coffee Prince
10 of 13 people found this review helpful
Jun 27, 2012
I don't know if my review will add much to the many written before me, but I cannot help but to wish to add my 2cents regarding this drama.
I absolutely loved it. It was a re-watch for me. I'm not much of a re-watch anything person, but this drama was totally worth it.

The first time I watched this drama I was too new to the Korean Drama world. Even though read more I liked it, I felt that there were too many things that I did not understand and did not allow me to enjoy it as much as I did this second time. This time, it has moved up to become one of my all time favorite.
I decided to re-watch it mostly because I felt that watching Gong Yoo in "Big" twice a week, was not enough. I needed a higher dose and more exposure to that face and talent and *cough body cough*. It was during this re-watch that I discovered why this drama is so popular, timeless and overall a star making drama.

This is what I would call an "slice of life" drama. Nothing big or major happens. There are no huge plot twists, evil second leads, plotters to set the main couple apart or anything like that. The story is very subtle and deep at times, poignant at others and over all very funny and heart warming. These characters really make you feel like they are so real you might see them walking down the street -or maybe working at their coffee shop.
The acting is SUPERB. Sometimes I wondered if they were adlibbing. The conversations, the reactions seemed so realistic and flowed so well, it gave it an extra layer of believability.
The main couple is of course one of the major reasons to watch this drama. Ah- to be loved that way. The way Gong Yoo portrays it and smiles....(I'm fanning myself already :). That is all great and all, but really, this drama is an ensemble drama. What gets you and sucks you are the interactions these characters have with each other. How they become better persons from when they met, thanks to knowing each other, working together and caring for their job and each other. Even the grandmother and relationship between the main characters and their respective families was awesome. There was character development all around. I liked that.
The music was awesome too. The whole drama and the music itself gave me a very Indie feel. It reminds me of Juno, 500 Days of Summer, or books such as "Whatever Happened to Goodbye" by Sarah Dessen. All of these stories get you so involved in the subtleties of these characters' daily life that you feel a bit of a voyeur, a friend or someone who comes to care so much about them, that you do not wish the story to end.

Lastly, as sweet and romantic, well acted, funny and great music as it had, I do not think that this drama should be taken lightly. As subtle as it was it did feel very adult like in it's themes. They touched upon sex before marriage, gay relationships, cheating and forgiving, etc. I did not know before how many of the topics dealt here are not ones that -at that time specially- were usually touched upon. If you want to, this drama makes you think and analyze it.

I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a good story. Like stated before, don't expect a lot of action or plot twists, but this drama is really worth watching. This drama absolutely deserves the title of "all time classic".
Itazura na Kiss-Love in Tokyo
9 of 12 people found this review helpful
Jul 19, 2013
I'm not going to claim that this story was flawless, but it did keep me engaged in it from the first episode, because of this I think this story deserves a 9/10. I wrote the following after watching episode 10, but I believe those thoughts can be applied to the overall drama (except for the ending):

"This episode cemented my belief that this is the best rendition of "Mischievous Kiss" [for me]. read more 1.The pacing is great. They cover so much ground in each episode, while keeping and emphasizing on the important areas of character/arc/relationship development.
2.Even in the instances when Kotoko becomes a bit childish, they never really cross the line into cartoonish and overly annoying. As much as I loved Tversion, and Ariel Lin, it was painful to watch her character sometimes. I won't even mention the Korean one!
3. The characterization of all characters just seems richer, deeper and more realistic. Kotoko and Kin Chan have shown more skinship,friendship and awareness of each other. Irie is not so cold and is more complex in this version.
Kotoko is not as annoying, dumb and helpless as in the other versions.
[There were times in the story I thought they were finally going to cross the edge on too corny, silly or angst, but somehow it was always reined in, even if at the last second. I thought that was an attribute to the story]
4.Irie's mom is just: QUEEN. She is so adorable,funny, loving, manipulating and nosy. I love it.
Kotoko's dad's is also less pathetic.

Overall I think this show is doing a great job in keeping all the original elements of the story that we love, yet is bringing new life and dimension to how the story is represented, thus keeping it fresh and addicting."

As much as I liked the drama I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the ending. It felt a bit rushed and by denying to show us the consequences of Irie's decision I felt a bit robbed. They took away an opportunity of some angst (I'm not a huge fan of unnecessary angst), but I think it would have added a level of more sincere resolution. The ending felt a bit too...Sugar, spice, cotton candy and everything nice...for me.
Still, I would highly recommend this drama to fans of the other versions, or anyone looking for a sweet, breezy, light drama.
The Master's Sun
7 of 9 people found this review helpful
Oct 3, 2013
Hi! I don't want to waste your time or this website's space,but I have to say that I loved this drama. It was funny, scary, heartwarming, the people in it are beautiful to watch (especially So Ji-Sub-WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MAN!, the acting is excellent. I never got bored. I was invested in the story and loved every minute of it. The music was complimentary to the story and lovely (I love Tasha read more in general, but her theme song for the drama just make me like her more).

Overall, I highly recommend this drama. It worked great for me. It will now be placed in my top 5 dramas.
If I may be arrogant enough to hope that if you read this review in the future, while wondering which drama to watch next, this will convince you to watch "The Master's Sun". I'm certain you'll be entertained and perhaps fall in love with these characters as much as I did. Enjoy!
Little Mom Scandal
4 of 5 people found this review helpful
Apr 12, 2012
I'm a Latina living in the United States. I was fed telenovelas and later sitcoms for as long as I can remember. I just started watching Asian Dramas, maybe 1 1/2 ago. I have to admit that I suffered from culture shock. The characters were so conservative, just touching hands seemed like a big deal. There were really no kisses in the dramas I watched, it was more like 'pecking'. The candy read more style type of girl was pretty much everywhere. This,of course is a over generalization; but it took some getting used to in order to accept and eventually understand and more thoroughly enjoy this whole new world.

What does this have to do with 'Little Mom scandal'?. The only reason this background nonsense is relevant is because this was another shocker- but in reverse!
I'm so used to seeing all of this lack of physical contact,virginal characters, spoiled chaebols, etc... there is really none of that here.
This drama would not feel out of place in a telenovela (it would probably seem too mild :), or show in the US.

This drama deals with strong subjects such a sex in a young age, sex outside of marriage, teen pregnancy, abortion, dating age gap, the practice of golddiggers and much, much more. Even though this drama deals with strong issues, it is done in an appealing, tasteful (as it can be, for the issues its dealing with), realistic and compelling way.
I think the acting is done well, the editing as well. It has a good pace. This is absolutely not a rom-com, but is not a melodrama either. It has a good balance. It does not over dramatize any issue, or does it take it lightly either.It had me hooked from episode 1 and I finished the first 8 episodes in 2 days.

I would recommend this drama if you are up for something different. There is more skinship and sex scenes (not explicit)but it's still there, than what most people are used to. I find it worth watching. There is a second season I'm about to start right now. Enjoy!
It Started with a Kiss
5 of 7 people found this review helpful
Mar 25, 2013
This drama wrangles my feminist side, but I still loved it. Talk about a guilty pleasure! I think it's due to the acting and the overall feeling this drama creates. It really sucks you in. With 50 episodes between season 1 and 2 these characters become so real, you never want to let them go. I just finished both seasons and I'm having a drama hangover. I can't start a new drama read more or book because I'm still feeling this one :). I have never felt this way about a drama before, the closest I have come to these feelings is with books (which are my addiction). I love Ariel Lin, even though I thought she looked ugly and like a 13 year old here. Even the way she dressed. No offense to fans, I am one of them. Ariel Lin is my favorite Taiwanese actress, but she looked so different here, from " In Time With You", it was a bit of a shock to the senses. lol. Joe Cheng, He just got himself a new fan. He did wonderful in this drama.

If you are considering finding out why this drama is so popular you should definitely check it out.
The Bridal Mask
8 of 13 people found this review helpful
Sep 6, 2012
Like a favorite book this is one of those stories that stays with you long after it's finished. Its a story so vivid, you forget that these are fictional characters. It's a story you start miss as soon as it is over and keep looking for information, analysis, recaps or anything else that keeps you connected to it and it's character a little bit longer.

This show is greater that the sum read more of it's individual parts. Despite it's many flaws in logic and writing at times, once you diluted it you were left with story gold. This was an intense, well told/acted/directed/staged, etc. story. It was well worth the time spent watching it.

I learned so much in the form of Korean/Japanese history that I did not expect to learn when I first started this show. I feel grateful for the introduction into these tough and certainly painful parts of world history. Learning about comfort women and their plight has been quite eye opening.

This show left me with a better educated and thoroughly entertained mind.

If you happen to read this review while wondering whether to watch this story or not, I would say: DO IT!, but be aware of it's intensity, complexities and context. It does not pull punches and it really takes you through the ringer, but it will most certainly earn, deserve and be worth your time.
In Time With You
3 of 4 people found this review helpful
Dec 29, 2012
Since this drama has been reviewed many times before, I will keep it short.

I really enjoyed this drama. The acting was very good from everyone, but Ariel Lin's was outstanding. She really made me want to go look for everything else she has acted in. She made me LIVE her character. could have sworn it was real.
Actually, one of the best things about this drama is how rounded and developed read more all the characters are. The relationships and interactions among friends and family were very real and healthy -for the most part-.

One of the main complaints I've read of this drama is how the relationship between the Main OTP took so long to develop, but I found that the other side stories and lessons were strong enough to support the drama outside of the romance.

I recommend this drama if you liked 9 ends 2 outs or I Need Romance 2012. It is mellow, funny, sweet and well acted.

Los Angeles, California