QAS

Eternal Love
Mar 16, 2017
Ten Miles Peach Blossoms is one of those rare drama phenomena of the early 21st century. The skills of the actors, the scriptwriter, the novelist, the directors, the music composers and musicians, the set designer, the costume designer, the production crew, are reflected in this cinematic masterpiece that China has shared with the world. The emotional pull of the story and creative plot transcend culture and language. When subtitles can draw tears read more of sorrow and joy, the actors, directors and the scriptwriter have done a very effective job.

The charismatic actor, Mark Chao, was destined to play Ye Hua and Mo Yuan. His interpretations of the two unique individuals, demonstrate his range of acting skills. Yang MI revealed her acting range with the two dinstinctive entities, Bai Qian and Su Su.

The psychotic, obsessive delusioned antagonists, Su Jin and Xuan Nu, as much as we hated them, were portrayed convincingly by personable actors, Maggie Huang and Zhu Xudan, respectively.

The young actors, Hummer Zhang (A-Li), Huang Tianqi (Fire Qilin), Zhang Youhao (Mi Gu), and Little Zhao Ge character, ultimately stole the show.

The OST is very good. The main duet song was overplayed in every episode, and by the end of the drama, a few hundred million viewers had recorded the melody in their brains.

If there were travel tours to Peach Blossom Valley, international travelers would be booking the next flight to China.
The K2
Nov 15, 2016
K2 is an ambitious independent drama. It started out with the introduction of a highly skilled mercenary ex-soldier, who looked like K-dramaworld's answer to Bond and Bourne. The drama then adapted the K-drama formula of melodrama, filler, flashback, love triangle and crying. K2 is a mixed bag of espionage, political intrigue, romance, dysfunctional family and corruption in high circles. The most annoying aspect of the production was the ridiculous abuse of Shaky read more Camera. The jerky movements caused the brain to readjust and lose concentration (especially when the international viewers were reading subtitles). This lowered the quality of the project, because it seemed as if amateurs were behind the camera, and in charge of the production.

Character assessment;
K2 moved like lightning. He should be the executive trainer of NIS.
Choi Yoo Jin had more mood swings. She was bi-polar, psychotic, duplicitous, ruthless, manipulative, delusional. She should be the dictator of a country.
An Na; nothing to write home about. She should open a ramen shop.
Se Joon was a philanderer, dead beat father, sycophant. He should go on the talk show circuit.
Gwan Soo was the corrupt politian and K2's target. He should have been attached to the bomb device.
Monster
Oct 27, 2016
This revenge plot drama was 50 episodes long, but it would have been more effective with 30 episodes. It started out as a crime drama, but evolved midway into a melodrama. At some point, it felt as if the director, scriptwriter and actors played 'spin the bottle' to determine which character would gain the advantage at the end of the day. The best acting performance was given by Jung Bo-Suk as Byun read more Il-Jae, the despicable villain. The drama title should have been "Monster Byun Il-Jae".
Stay With Me
Jan 8, 2017
I watched every episode until #20, but the erratic mood swings of Wei Wei and Yi Du, made me feel restless and listless. I switched to watching every five episodes until I reached the end of the line. The cast did a very good acting job.

Wei Wei acted like a childish teenager, as she kept pursuing Yi Du, even though he treated her shabbily. Yi Du was so trusting of his read more friend, who was his mortal enemy, yet he distrusted Wei Wei frequently, that I wanted to slap his head.

Huo Xiao began to act needy and manipulative, which made me unsympathetic toward him. Mo Fan irritated me constantly with his distorted revenge plot. Some of the supporting characters were too melodramatic. At the end, Mo Fan went to jail for his criminal acts, but Yi Du was too forgiving. He treated Wei Wei much worse, especially dumping her in some rural area, with no cell phone or money.

Joe Chen and Wang Kai looked pretty as Wei Wei and Yi Du, but their characters were not endearing. Zhang Duo is attractive, but I could not tolerate his character, Mo Fan. Derek Chang was my favorite cast member. His character, Leo, seemed the most rational, although he chased Tiffany like a puppy.

At best, this drama should have been 24 episodes long, when the story would not have been so budensome to the viewers and the actors.
General and I
Feb 20, 2017
The best thing about this drama is that the 62 episodes were translated in seven weeks on the DF site. I watched all the episodes, but started skipping the Bai Lan State scenes, due to lack of interest in their melodrama.

The main reason that I devoted time to this drama, was Wallace Chung as the handsome General Prince Chu Bei Jie. His character is a candidate for 2017 Drama Man of read more the Year award. Throughout the story, he was steadfast in his ethics and integrity. The only flaw is that he abandoned Great Jin, which spiraled downwards due to the lack of a military giant leading the army.

Bai Ping Ting was adequate as the military strategist but she was also an expert waffler. Her father gave her the military manual and warned her not to trust anyone, yet she shared the information with Prince He Xia, who would use the information to his advantage later in life. Ping Ting and Princess Weiyoung of that drama shared something in common. Everyone wanted to kill them.

He Xia lost my vote after five episodes into the drama. He started out as the underdog prince, but his royal ambition and the callous manipulation of the needy Princess Yao Tian, made me grimace.

The second character who gets my vote of confidence, is Fan Lu, the warrior garrison commander, who would be worthy of a promotion to God of War after King Chu Bei Jie settled on his Jin throne. Actor Wang Tianchen is 6'1, 24 years' old, and General and I is his first drama.

The third character who gets my vote of confidence, is General Ze Yin of Liang. He was dependable and fearless throughout the drama. Qi Hang is 183cm, 32 years' old.

Chu Bei Jie, Fan Lu and Ze Yin are the best characters in the drama.
Novoland: The Castle in the Sky
Mar 17, 2017
I watched Novoland two months ago for, 1. Zhang Ruo Yun and 2. Guan Xiao Tong.

Emperor Feng Tian Yi started out as megalomaniacal and arrogant, but later he revealed his motives for acting like a young despot, and recruited the viewers to his camp. Zhang Ruo Yun carried the show with his superb acting and his regal stature. He is one of the outstanding young actors in China, who has demonstrated read more his acting range with Dr Qin Medical Examiner.

Fuling was the nucleus of the story. Guan Xiao Tong's acting was adequate. Fuling was stiff, but her temperament seemed to be the perfect yang(bright) to Tian Yi's yin(dark).

The maniacal Queen and Fuling's father's sidestory was tedious, and was the most detrimental part of the story. The SLS Prince Bai Ting Jing was lackluster, and his temperament was compatible with Fuling's personaility.

The wingkind tribe seemed to function in a small space. The M-POP artist in the end credits seems disjointed with the drama setting.

Looking at the trailer for the Novoland sequel, Tribes and Empires Storm of Prophecy, you get the feeling that there is nothing in common with the two stories, except for the geograpical area "Novoland".
Nirvana in Fire
Jan 20, 2017
I watched this drama late; 16 months after the TV broadcast in China. I watched the entire drama in three weeks of January 2017.

Nirvana in Fire is a drama masterpiece, that was brilliantly written and produced. All the actors in the primary and supporting roles, gave exceptional acting performances. Hu Ge and Wang Kai were the perfect casting choices for the Mei Chang Su and Prince Jing Yan roles. The costume read more designs and the set designs were flawless, and the music soundtrack was perfect.

The intricate plot flowed like an English Literature textbook. Hai Yan's novel, "Lang Ya Bang", deserves recognition in the Asian and Western literary worlds, and the TV drama deserves honors in the Asian and Western entertainment industries. All TV production houses should use the Chinese TV drama as the benchmark for their dramas.

This is the first TV drama that I awarded 10 points across the board.
Something About 1 Percent
Nov 30, 2016
This light romantic comedy was entertaining and short (16 episodes only). The two lead actors, Ha Suk Jin and Jeon So Min were perfectly cast in the roles of the rich egocentric charming heir of a conglomerate and the poor but kind-hearted school-teacher. Jae In's grandfather acted as matchmaker/fairy godfather, to bring the two seemly mismatched characters together.

The weekly scripts and the two actors' performances kept my attention, as the romance read more continued on the incline. Every K-drama must have the prerequisite villain (one of Jae-In's ex-girlfriends with a super-inflated ego) to irritate the viewers. The satellite characters, with the exception of the Svengali-type parent, aunt and uncle, were ethical and pleasant. Anyone who is looking for a mini-vacation after all the heavy dramas of the Summer of 2016, should watch the drama. I laughed, and did not shed one tear. I cringed at Jae In's fashion choices 43% of the time. Ha Suk Jin and his alter ego (Jae In) looked perfect, otherwise.
Hwarang
Mar 17, 2017
I had high expectations when I read about the drama in the Spring of 2016. Once the drama commenced, I had great difficulty keeping up, and sympathizng with the superficial characters and the storyline. It is more of a contemporary historical drama, with the K-POP fans as the target audience. Touted as a pre-produced drama, the planning and execution of a poor script, emotionless acting (except for the excessive crying) and passable read more directing, shows in the end-result and the TV ratings.

The scene stealers were Park Ban-ryu and Kim Soo-yeon (Do Ji-Han and Lee Da-in). The weakest link was Kim Ah-Ro(Go Ara). If they had strengthened her back-bone, and deleted 90% ofl the crying, she would have shined among the young cast. The two characters that I rank last, are the Queen of Shilla and Park Yeong-Shil. Queen Mother Jiso sat on the throne, to protect her son, but at some point, it seemed like she was on a power trip. Park was a sleazy villain, who wanted to rule Shilla.

This is a drama where I was impressed with the incidental music, more than with the cast, characters and story.
Fantastic
Oct 26, 2016
The scriptwriter Lee So Hye's story will touch your heart, so you should keep a towel close at hand, instead of a box of tissues, to wipe away the tears. Ryu Hae Sung is a vapid celebrity star, who is humanized, as the romance develops with Lee So Hye. Kim Hyun Joo should be awarded the title of Queen of K-drama/melodrama. Ji Soo is charming as lawyer Kim Sang Wook.
Dr. Qin Medical Examiner
May 7, 2017
Qin, ME is a very tense drama, with suspense and sporadic comedic dialog between Li and Lin. The autopsy scenes are very graphic.

Top notch acting by Zhang Ruo Yun, Jiao Jun Yan and Li Xian! The only flaw in this production, is the shaky camera. I hope that the director has purchased a camera tripod to film Season 2 and Season 3.
The Great Wall
Mar 19, 2017
This is Zhang Yimou's epic fantasy movie, and he pulled off an incredible feat of the imagination. I describe it as fantasy versus historical, because the monsters did not exist in historical times. The CGI was amazing, and took me back to the advent of Lord of the Rings. The movie was fast-paced, and the two hours zipped by quickly.

I looked forward to this movie because of Andy Lau and Lu read more Han.

Matt Damon, who had suprised me as Jason Bourne many years ago, stepped up the plate in his first Chinese movie. His only flaw was the accent. He spoke with an American accent, that did not exist before 1776. His character was an European mercenary in China during the Song dynasty.

Jing Tian was credible as Commander Lin Mae.

I was very impressed that the scriptwriter entrusted a lot of English dialog to Andy Lau, who showed his competency in the second language. Andy deserved third billing.

Lu Han did a very good job as the apprentice soldier, whose work experience was in the kitchen.

The monsters looked like relatives of the alien species in the Alien movie.
The Princess Wei Young
Dec 28, 2016
This was an epic drama, in storyline and length. All the actors gave memorable acting performances. The costume designs were beautiful.

Poor Wei Young was targeted by every villain, who underestimated her survival skills. The Touba Jun/Wei Young romance was charming, until Tuoba Jun married Wei Young's arch-enemy #1, Changle. Arch-enemy #2, Changru, was even more dangerous and mad. Midway, the plot slowed down, and it was a great effort to keep read more watching Wei Young constantly being ridiculed, harrassed or tortured. My primary motivation was to see the end of the drama.

What made this epic drama effective, was the fact that 54 episodes were broadcast over a span of four weeks.
When a Snail Falls in Love
Dec 15, 2016
Snail... was the best detective drama that I watched in 2016. The writing and production format were the equivalent of a British detective drama. The plot is very intricate, and it is best to binge-watch the drama, to maintain the continuity and focus. The detective team demonstrated the true meaning of teamwork and loyalty. Ji Bai represents the true team leader; pragmatic, unemotional, inspiring.

All the actors did a very good job read more with their character roles. The drama villains were the Ye extended family members. Wang Kai/Ji Bai's action scenes were flawless.
Signal
Oct 27, 2016
Signal is one of the best K-dramas of 2016. The story involves time-overlapping; detectve Lee Jae-han is moving backward in time, while profiler Park Hae-young is moving forward in time. The drama is en par with the best British police detective dramas. The music and the suspense reminded me of the British Broadchurch drama, but Signal eclipsed Broadchurch in the story department.

Los Angeles, CA