RisefromBlackAshes

A Girl & Three Sweethearts
Sep 22, 2016
I honestly picked up watching this after watching the cast on VS Arashi, and watching a different special on before it. I had to rewatch the first episode since I started on 2 but I knew I was hooked.

The premise is pretty simple, 'average' girl ends up living with three guys in pursuit of her dream as a pastry chief. Of course, shenanigans ensue. It's touching, it's dramatic, and it even read more got me to tear up a little bit.

I really enjoyed the chemistry between cast members. You could tell from VS Arashi they were all friends after filming, and during their scenes it was really impressive. Kento Yamazaki, and Kirie Mirai have absolutely stunning chemistry between them. And Nomura Shuhei is the perfect balance between serious moments and comic relief (without being a joke himself). Shuhei was even cast in the Taiwanese adaptation! The setting is in Enoshima, not too far away from Tokyo (closer to Yokohama though) which was a refreshing change of pace.

My friends and I agree that Chiaki's character development was rather sad, in comparison to the others. And there is a weird insert character whoose got no purpose or name but causes a lot of grief for the others, that we found rather boring and unneeded.

I've already recommended this drama to friends, and I watched it in Japan and with subs after leaving Japan. Not a top favorite of mine, and I won't be rewatching unless it's with friends/for nostalgia but it's a sweet drama worth watching.
Destiny-Like Love
Dec 15, 2016
Umnei ni, Nita Koi was actually a drama for the first time that portrayed a mature romance incredibly well in my opinion. It's the main focus of the show, not a subplot or add on. In a world of high school/college romance dramas this one really sticks out to me. It shows how two people can be drawn together at a young age, grow apart, and reconnect in a (pardon me) destiny-like read more love. I was already drawn in, just to get a change of pace. And I wasn't disappointed.

For an 8 episode drama, the series did an amazing job telling a heart-felt story and concluded it well, with no plot holes or empty ending. While I wouldn't label the series too dramatic or too sweet; it's mature and well thought out with a balance of ages that makes it appealing to young and old drama watchers. All the characters good and bad, minor and major get fleshed out fairly well and their relationships with one another are well identified. While some elements of the plot are a little typical, they aren't so glaringly obvious as to ruin watching. I was on my toes through the entire 8 episodes.

While Yuri and Kasumi are the main couple, we also get a taste (just a taste) of young love found in Tsugumi (Kasumi's son) and Kameko. We also see relationships that aren't lovey-dovey with Riri's admiration for Yuri, Yoji's sense of loss for a particular character, and more. The story isn't just a love story, but one of relationships and how they can blossom or rot.

Aside from Saito Takumi, I wasn't familiar with the majority of the cast, but everyone was excellent. There was an amazing chemistry between all the characters. The story played out well. The music was so-so, mood appropriate but nothing much more. I'm not a huge re-watch fan, but this is one I might revisit should I need a breather between highschool aged romance and rom-coms.

I highly recommend this series for those who love a serious romance, or are just tired of rom-coms and highschool aged love. It surely won't disappoint.
Koe Koi
Oct 4, 2016
Koe Koi, honestly I started watching mostly as a joke. I couldn't take the premise of one of the main love interests having a paperbag on his head, but the idea is unique and intriguing so I gave it a shot. I was really surprised that the drama was a 1/2 style over an hour long, but a refreshing change of pace.

What started as a joke had me marathoning episodes 1-11 read more in two days. It was addicting since the premise was rather predictable, but still watchable. Although I think the main actress was rather inexperienced compared with the others, she was still enjoyable and believable. I really appreciated the mini side stories sprinkled into the series in a non-obtrusive way. The music aside from the opening song (too cringey for me), was well chosen and mood appropriate in my opinion.

I've already recommended this drama to friends; she's a fan of Sakurai Dori anyway, so hopefully she'll be watching soon. Personally, for me I don't re-watch dramas overall so the rewatch value is fairly low.

I do recommend if every are looking for a shorter, easy to watch series, to watch Koe Koi. :)
Kokoro ga Pokitto ne
Oct 26, 2016
To be honest, I started watching this because of my mini-obession (at the time) with Kiko Mizuhara. And I was both satisfied and not satisfied with the series.

Seeing Haruta's character, and his set up was pretty interesting. It's very rare that Japanese dramas try to cover such territory without belittling such characters or overdramatizing them. This had none of that as Shin seems pretty cheerful and accepting of most anyone and read more anything. Honestly, I would've liked it more without the romance elements.

In comes Haruta's ex-wife, and Miyako (Kiko Mizuhara) to churn up feelings on all ends, and where we get the most interesting character interactions. They were sweet, they were hurtful, and it really exemplified true human emotions. Of course, with over the top, weird side plots and minor characters that were quirky but rather laughable. The conclusion was solid, but rather expected and kinda creepy when you think about ages of the characters.

I did like both the ending and opening themes; they balanced a lot of the elements of the show well. Of course, the music throughout the series was appropriate but unmemorable.

My major problem is that this show pretty much pigeon-holed Kiko as a typical troupe. Get to about episode 6 of this series, look up her character in 'Shitsuren Chocolatier' and you'll see what I mean.

My second problem in Shin. He shows very minimal character development, even though he's one of the main characters. It's kinda amazing how truly of an air head he remains for the majority of the series.

Overall, if you're looking for a not so typical rom-com for some easy watching; 'Kokoro ga Pokitto ne' is your series.
Kimi ni Sasageru Emblem
I adore Sakurai Sho, so seeing for the first time in nearly two years return to acting a bit was a warm welcome for me personally in 2017. I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't 100% pleased either.

The story itself, since it's based off a true story was really heartwarming. If you're familiar with the manga "Real" you'll get the same vibes. Additionally, the story portrayed the plight of those disabled in read more a wheelchair in Japan realistically. It even made the point of distinguishing there different levels of disability in Japan! This isn't the kind of story where everything is okay, despite the protagonist is now disabled. It's a noticeable part of life, with it's own ups and downs, and it was approached and produced with that in mind, in my opinion.

The acting, I was more impressed by the rest of the cast then I was with Sho to be honest. Masami was excellent in her role, 100% believable through and through. She balanced out and even at times made up for Sho throughout the special. Her motivations while a little strange, were honest and realistic. It was so much more then I hoped for. Hayato was stunning. 100% did not recognize him from his previous roles, and that was a good thing. He portrayed the pain of his character incredibly well to the point I did tear up a bit. Hayato was more my focus while watching, since he seemed to have the most immediate changes in character development.The rest of the side cast, while not developed as well as perhaps the main three, are all seasoned actors who brought a lot to the table and really balanced everything out.

Now to why I wasn't satisfied with the drama; Sho was type-casted/they suited the role to fit his personality. (Probably both) As much as Sho is my favorite member of Arashi; he always plays the asshole/tsundere/however you want to label it, character since he tends to have those qualities in real life. While Sho knows how to play the character vs. being himself, and played the character in this drama; it was boring to watch. I've seen too many Sho moments in previous works to know how his 'character' would respond. His character development was pretty thin in the plot (there were a ton of hints at how he should develop overtime, but no~) until literally the last 30-40 minutes of the special when everything rushed to end in time. The saving grace was that the relationships he portrayed were realistic, even if some details were rushed.

The music was alright. I honestly didn't notice it beyond it was there, and mood appropriate. My re-watch values are always low since I tend not to re-watch, but since this only two hours and just a special it might creep in there once in awhile.

Overall, this was a solid New Year's Special that I was glad to watch. Ironically, I watched it for Sho and ending up staying for everyone else.
Evergreen Love
I was so upset when this was released in Japan, and I didn't have the chance to go see it. I'm a huge idol fan and Iwata Takenori is one of my favorites. After seeing him in "HiGH&LOW"; I wanted to see him take on a different role.

This movie story was alright. I'm not going to sugar-coat it and just 'cause Iwata Takenori is in it does not mean it's do read more all end all. The plot is pretty 'meh', rather typical of most shoujo stories with the side plot of plants and identifying them thrown in to mark it different. My friends remarked on how absolutely ridiculous the basic premise is. If you're looking for realistic, this story is not it. If you're looking for easy watching/not complicated this is for you.

However, it is light hearted and funny at times. Iwata Takenori (Itsuki) is 100% quality eye candy and his character is a perfect match. Takahata Mitsuki (Sayaka) is relatable, and honest, with plenty of faults and positives to make her well balanced. It's unfortunate you don't get to see either character really develop just based on the pacing of story, and the type of acting. The side characters don't see much screen time or development, but they're a solid background foundation rather then a hinderance.

The music overall is okay. Nothing spectacular about it, and at times the timing seems a little off/inappropriate for the mood. Not to the point of being unwatchable, but noticeable.

Again, I love Iwata Takanori. I love Takhata Mitsuki, so for me this movie was a no-brainer to watch. It's not complicated, but it's not boring. If you're looking for something light-hearted to watch without getting teary-eyed this is it. I'd rewatch just to see the eye-smile prince smile again, but it won't be frequently.
Limit
Oct 26, 2016
I watched 'Limit' since it was a recommended short 'spooky' series to watch to get into the halloween spirit. From the poster, plot synopsis, and eventually the first episode; I was hooked. I managed to marathon the entire series in two days.

The plot is rather simple; a group of 30 students and 2 teachers are set to go on a school trip. Unfortunately, due to a series of circumstances on the read more fault of both the school and bus company an accident ensues and only 5 students are alive, and stranded in the woods of Shizuoka where they are pushed to all their 'limits'. It's more psychological then gore, and more survival story then survival of the fittest.

I was hooked from episode one. It's paced rather quickly, but not overwhelmingly so. The short episodes cover a lot of ground in 30 minutes but rarely does it leave loose ends. If you're not careful, you'll miss certain details that will come back into the story.

The actors and casting was PERFECT. The mixed appearances, backgrounds really add a lot of depth and variety to the show where it could have been rather stale. I really couldn't have asked for a better cast. I rarely get hooked from acting alone (usually plot or a single actor/actress) but this series had it all. The actual setting/set they used was excellent as well.

The music was alright. They had good mood music, but nothing memorable.

Like a lot of reviews I leave; I'm not a huge re-watcher. But this series since it's so short and packs a punch I'd consider re-watching.
Sailor Zombie
Oct 21, 2016
Due to a Halloween themed drama article, I started watching 'Sailor Zombie' to get into the spirit of the season. Over the course of three days, I managed to clear the entire series and for an AKB48 production surprisingly it wasn't that bad.

The story is centered around a group of high school girls, a few teachers, and one small family of three living in the high school after the zombie apocalypse read more happens. The girls face being killed not only on the outside, but the inside as well. Of course, being trapped in school there's a lot of internal drama as well. The story actually had a lot of minor details done right that lead from one plot point to another really well. If you can get past some of the cringe (too many inserted moments of the little boys flipping their skirts), and the side tracked episode 4, you'll be pretty intrigued by the drama as a whole.

I don't remember anyone's names, but the acting by everyone was really well done. It wasn't cringe-y, and it wasn't unwatchable as whole. The main members for the drama that were chosen did well, and actually looked like they were acting. Just mostly ignore their narrator counterparts. Part of me understood the cheesy intros and part of me wished they weren't there at all.

The music is fun to listen too, and isn't all AKB stuff. It's rather quirky once you see and hear the 'magic' song.

The major fault of this was the ending. I hated it, it was not satisfactory at all considering the build up it had and the potential. I wasn't expecting it to be completely concluded with no loose ends, but the ending they chose and how they framed it was beyond disappointing. That sapped my re-watch value completely for this series.
Innocent Lilies 2
Oct 19, 2016
Oh man here we go; mostly watched the second season (the first is called Innocent Lilies, watch it first) so I could get more Moga in my life. It went slightly better then expected.

We see Moga and Eimi continue on after their misadventures in the first season. They happen to be helping out Rina, who, surprise is also a White Witch from a different academy. The 'black' witches arrive, and declare read more not war, but superiority over the white witches and capture Rina. For some reason, a mysterious red suited man appears to assist Moga in a time of crisis.

Again, you can almost 100% read this plot like the first season. But it's still very much worth a watch if you liked the first season and looking for something to numb your mind a bit. Again, the acting isn't great, but definitely better then Season I. The fight choreography got even better, which is a plus (still cheesy at parts though).

The episodes are a touch longer (on average 20 minutes an episode), but the season is shorter (only 5 episodes). The plot, while not as strong as the original, was tacked on nicely and works out without too many kinks. The black witches, and other new characters aren't idols but actual actresses/actors which allows a more stable flow of scenes and direction.

The music, is recycled from the first season, aside from a new song you'll hear.

Again, this isn't a serious drama. This isn't something you're going to be raving to your friends about. But it's worth a watch if you liked the first season. It's worth a watch if you need something to numb you're brain about. It's cute, it's dramatic, and I, despite the low rating, enjoyed it.
Koizora
Sep 22, 2016
I literally never cry during movies and dramas. I never cry, even if the entire theatre is. This drama had me crying in episodes 3, and 6 it was that powerful.

I was told this drama is a true tear jerker, and that to proceed with caution. I ended up marathoning it in two days.

It's a rather simple story of highschool sweethearts, through their ups, downs, and all sorts of other read more events, persisting through it all. This drama will have you rooting for people, crying, even hating a few people. It has it all.

I didn't like the pacing, it was REALLY fast since it's only 6 episodes. Be prepared for significant, but marked, time skips. And be prepared for about 2-3 drama moments per episode that will have you crying your heart out.

I was hesitant to start watching, but I'm so glad I finished it. I will most likely be rewatching in the future with friends, and a tissue box handy.
Sennyuu Sousa Idol Deka Dance
Dec 9, 2016
I had to write this after dropping it, and after thinking over really hard why I dropped this series. I've watched 6 of 12 episodes, and I honestly don't see myself picking up the series to finish, unless I watch it all at once with a friend, and some alcohol.

I'm a sucker for idol dramas to be honest, literally you mention idols, I'm on it. So I picked up this series read more fairly quickly. None of the actors are idols, but that didn't bother me. The first episode was actually hilarious, I adored the Kyary Pamyu Pamyu knock off, and the enka singer. It was a refreshing change of pace, poking fun at idols, adding in detective elements was fun.

The second episode was lacking, as was the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and the 6th was my tipping point. There were moments of genuine comedy, but not enough for me to really be sold. Knowing this was a parody of idols and the detective genre helped, but it fell short of being a parody of either. The one redeeming point was the artist from 'Free!''s art was in one of the episodes.

The main reasons I dropped this was the over-acting and the lack of an overarching plot. When I mean overacting, I mean EVERYONE is overacting to the point where it's not even comedy but just cringe worthy. There's a fine line where overacting is a form of acting, and then there is overacting that's just plain bad acting. The series as a whole fell into the bad acting catagory. Which was disappointing since the majority of cast are seasoned actors with a LOT of titles under the belts. Morinaga Yuki (Teru) was the worst with overacting, especially in episode 6. The side characters are just as bad as the main characters when it came to this as well. Nakamura Aoi (Tatsuya) overacted, in the more comedic sense the first few times. But even he wavered between being funny to being cringe-worthy though, to the point of being rather unwatchable.

The lack of an overarching plot was the other point. I watched this without subtitles, but my Japanese isn't so bad that I didn't know what was going on. I could not, even in re-watching a few episodes, find anything that really linked the episodes together. The episodes are meant to be stand-alone, but even in other detective series there's something connecting the episodes together. Sennyuu Sousa Idol Deka Dance doesn't have this element and it's blazingly obvious.

I'm not going to say that 'Sennyuu Sousa Idol Deka Dance' is terrible; it has a great concept, and a ton of potential, and a lot of great actors that could have done really well. Unfortunately, a lot of elements came together and it didn't work out. I really can't recommend anyone watch this unless you're a fan of any of actors, or really have 6 hours to kill.
Innocent Lilies
Oct 16, 2016
Where to begin with this... If you're looking for something short, sweet, filled with the girls from Dempagumi.inc, and a lot of fan service up until about episode 4 or 5, this is your drama. This is not a drama for those looking for a good story/plot/acting; it's just for fun. And really more or less aimed at Dempagumi.inc's fans. (Fair warning: It's completely shot in the male gaze.) I started watching read more based on this ( http://mydramalist.com/article/2016/10/13/30-minutes-or-less-horror-comedy-halloween-edition ) article recommendation. Plus I have a soft spot for idols (especially in this case Moga), and seeing the first season is about an hour worth of time total to watch; why not?

I went in with low expectations, and well, it was about what I expected. The plot is kinda simple, girls who have varied troubled pasts (we're talking a lot of exploitation, bullying issues here) are recruited to Shiromajo Gakuen (White Magic School) in order to become an all powerful 'White Witch'. Of course, all is not what it seems and from there, it turns vaguely into something akin to Battle Royale with magical powers. You can guess (and be correct) about the entire plot by the end of episode 1. It's pretty choppy in delivery too, but it gets the job done.

To be honest; it's a sub par filler drama. The acting isn't great since the main characters are all from Depagumi.inc; they're singers over actors. Although, like I said, I really like Moga and her character here. From what I can tell it was all their first time trying a drama, and a mini drama wasn't a terrible start. The three full fledged witches are all minor talents who didn't have much traction. Kasumi's actress is actually pretty solid, and fleshed out her character as best she could.

The music was all right. The opening and ending are sung by, you guessed it; Dempagumi.inc . The rest of the audio tracks are alright, although the 'witch activation' affects are overdone.

It's not a good drama overall to be completely honest. If you're looking for something a little mind-numbing or you need a drama series to counter act a binge horror watch; this would be it.

December 28